Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #4,376
DaveC426913 said:
? You mean you don't like it?

I have hundreds of passwords. If I haven't been back to somewhere in over six months I have to reset it.Not mine yet.

I confess, I did not like it at first - having to have a second device handy. But now I always have my phone, so it's not such a hardship.
My system is now part of it! It's just another thing, another layer. I cannot authenticate without my phone. Great!
Solution is simple, make sure you always have your phone available, charged and ready to give up the authentication code.
Just like your car? You need to get to work so just have the car there ready and waiting, it's not as if anything could go wrong between house and work is it?
Thing is the car goes rogue you get a cab to the tram / railway station.

Likes Oldman too
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,377
pinball1970 said:
My system is now part of it! It's just another thing, another layer. I cannot authenticate without my phone. Great!
Solution is simple, make sure you always have your phone available, charged and ready to give up the authentication code.
Just like your car? You need to get to work so just have the car there ready and waiting, it's not as if anything could go wrong between house and work is it?
Thing is the car goes rogue you get a cab to the tram / railway station.
There's no doubt it's not ideal. But we don't have ideal yet.

The question is: overall, is it better than juggling two hundred hackable passwords?

Likes pinball1970 and Oldman too
  • #4,378
Oldman too said:
going passwordless
I haven't seen this yet. I do have accounts where I type my password in, then it asks me to give the code they send to my phone. That seems like a good idea; someone breaking into my account needs to know the password and have my phone. For things like bank accounts, social security, medicare... I really do not mind, in fact, I like the added security.

Likes pinball1970 and Oldman too
  • #4,379
DaveC426913 said:
There's no doubt it's not ideal. But we don't have ideal yet.

The question is: overall, is it better than juggling two hundred hackable passwords?
Yes Dave but I am not keen. Next it will be a link sent to a different e mail account which I verify via a 7 digit number sent to my phone. Once verified I go through some security steps and I have access to the security platform. This requires a 13 character code with upper lower case number and something else, *. At last now I get clearance to complete the on line profile of 6 step process which verifies my identity with respect to all the stuff I just did. The next step confused me so I was timed out. I need another code but need a different e mail account as the first has now been designated, 'not secure'

IT explained that if I get an authentication code on my phone on a Sunday or three in the morning then it's not from me.
Thank heavens for these people. They hack for fun then get paid to teach companies how to avoid it.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #4,381
LORENZ gauge! LORENZ, not Lorentz!
Unbelievable. Now i see the world with different eyes.

Likes dextercioby
  • #4,383
TIL that my keyboard actually has four extra buttons which I've never noticed before.

I just had to tear apart the thing for it's first ever thorough cleaning for this revelation...

Likes pinball1970
  • #4,384
Rive said:
TIL that my keyboard actually has four extra buttons which I've never noticed before.

I just had to tear apart the thing for it's first ever thorough cleaning for this revelation...
What?? :oops: Were they, like, molars waiting to erupt??
You have Wisdom Keys?

• Haha
Likes Rive, collinsmark, BillTre and 2 others
  • #4,385
DaveC426913 said:
What?? :oops: Were they, like, molars waiting to erupt??
You have Wisdom Keys?
My guess is: Annie Key, Lost Key, Stuck Key, and Boss Key.

Likes dextercioby
  • #4,386
Oldman too said:
TIL, A SMBH can reverse it's magnetic field.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2203.07446.pdf
According to the no-hair theorem a black hole doesn't have a magnetic field. The paper says an Active Galactic Nucleus reversed its field. So I'd say that it's all the junk in the accretion "disk" that reversed.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #4,387
Hornbein said:
According to the no-hair theorem a black hole doesn't have a magnetic field. The paper says an Active Galactic Nucleus reversed its field. So I'd say that it's all the junk in the accretion "disk" that reversed.
Right. The accretion disk and the complicated mechanism that forms the jets of highly accelerated material that shoot out from either side, perpendicular to the disk.

(For clarity, I would highly doubt the accretion disk itself changed its direction of rotation. That would be a bit much. But the mechanism for the jet formation has been long thought to be powered by magnetic field interactions, and its not a trivial subject. There's a lot going on there.)

Likes berkeman
  • #4,388
DaveC426913 said:
You have Wisdom Keys?
Kind of o0)

Somebody just made the power buttons look like LEDs.
And since I've never used them, they just lingered there, unnoticed :doh:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #4,389
LCSphysicist said:
LORENZ gauge! LORENZ, not Lorentz!
Unbelievable. Now i see the world with different eyes.
It's fine, there is the Lorentz-Lorenz equation!

Likes dextercioby and Klystron
  • #4,391
TIL there will be a double Nova show (two hours!) on PBS today, on the recent (last few years) findings on the meteor impact that ended the Age of the Dinosaurs. David Attenborough is the narrator.
It has my interest.

Likes collinsmark and pinball1970
  • #4,392
BillTre said:
TIL there will be a double Nova show (two hours!) on PBS today, on the recent (last few years) findings on the meteor impact that ended the Age of the Dinosaurs. David Attenborough is the narrator.
It has my interest.
Is there a link to watch it on-line? (no TV here)

• #4,393
There are probably PBS outlets with it if your are PBS site enabled (a member).
Here (https://www.pbs.org/video/dinosaur-apocalypse-the-last-day-h80ueb/) is one for me in Oregon. Don't know if you need to be a member to get there since I am a member and my computer automates these things. I found it with Google (Dinosaur Nova).

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
  • #4,394
It may be available through on-line services also.

• #4,395
The link in your post works fine, Thanks!

Likes BillTre
  • #4,396
Rive said:
Kind of o0)

Somebody just made the power buttons look like LEDs.
And since I've never used them, they just lingered there, unnoticed :doh:
I checked my keyboard after reading your post and there are three keys on there I have never used. No idea what they do, still don't but work got in the way so I didn't get round to checking.

Likes Rive
  • #4,397
Likes Oldman too and BillTre
  • #4,398
Hornbein said:
Hi, sorry if the wording on my related post wasn't perfectly clear. It was made on my 42 wedding anniversary, about two margaritas into the celebration.
I'd like to clarify a couple of important points about the SMBH-reversal that I referenced. I wasn't implying that the accretion disc had reversed rotation, although MAD is referenced, I'm not certain that they are stating that's the disk's state either. What I was mentioning, is the magnetic field reversed as depicted in the attached image. Pages 17-18 of the arxiv paper are particularly useful information.
This is another way of viewing things, https://phys.org/news/2022-05-surging-distant-galaxy-black-holes.html
Mag field flip.PNG

Likes pinball1970
  • #4,400
Today I learned a bit about elliptic curves.

Likes Klystron and collinsmark
  • #4,402
TIL The origin of "gps told me to turn into a river".

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #4,403
nsaspook said:
TIL The origin of "gps told me to turn into a river".

Is that 'Tomorrow's world?'

• #4,404
TIL (from a NY Times article) of an allergy to mammalian meat that can develop in people that get bit by the Lone Star Tick (identifiable by the white spot on its back). The tick is expanding its range due to climate change.
“The spatial distribution of the species has definitely increased by at least 30 to 50 percent in the last half a century,” said Ram Raghavan, an assistant professor in epidemiology and disease ecology at the University of Missouri, who has mapped the lone star tick’s spread. According to his research, the ticks are expected to continue to shift and expand their range; both to the north and west.

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 9.56.43 AM.png

The allergy:
Alpha-gal syndrome is triggered by a complex sugar called galactose-alpha-1, 3-galactose, or alpha-gal, for short. The sugar is found in most mammals, but not in fish, reptiles, birds or humans. When the lone star tick feeds, alpha-gal is spread through its saliva, exposing the host’s immune system to the sugar. For some people, this triggers an overactive immune response the next time they encounter it.

• Informative
Likes OmCheeto, Ibix, Oldman too and 3 others
  • #4,405
Today I learned that black herons do something called "canopy feeding" where they put their wings out in circles like umbrellas so that they don't look so bird-shaped to their prey looking up from the water.

Wikipedia has a pic.

Likes Oldman too, pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #4,406
TIL Some detail regarding the Titanic disaster enquiry via an interesting documentary, it is on youtube in its entirety.

I have seen a few of these but this focuses a little bit more on the combination of technical reasons that led to the disaster.

The ship design, materials, safety procedures, human errors etc

I checked to see if it was still the worst and it was not unfortunately. I have no recollection of the Dona Paz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ss of the,the largest peacetime loss recorded.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #4,407
Ibix said:
Today I learned that black herons do something called "canopy feeding" where they put their wings out in circles like umbrellas so that they don't look so bird-shaped to their prey looking up from the water.

Wikipedia has a pic.
That presumably works partly by creating a shady spot which fish are likely to move into and partly by making it easier for the bird to see the fish by reducing reflections of the sky.

Likes Ibix
  • #4,408
Jonathan Scott said:
...making it easier for the bird to see the fish by reducing reflections of the sky.
This seems the most plausible.

Likes Ibix
  • #4,409
Ibix said:

Wikipedia has a pic.
This behavior defined its German name: "bell-heron".

Likes Ibix
  • #4,410
  • Wow
Likes Klystron, MevsEinstein, strangerep and 1 other person