Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #4,796
Germany and Costa Rica. New thread for the world cup?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,797
kyphysics said:
Who would be willing to undergo such an operation? . . .
People who greatly benefit from this technology.

6 months is far too optimistic, of course.

• #4,798
mfb said:
People who greatly benefit from this technology.

6 months is far too optimistic, of course.
Yeah, I was merely thinking about risk factors. . .if I were paralyzed and could be "cured," I'd probably consider it. . .But, I wouldn't consider it if the surgery were meant to "enhance" my mental capabilities or something like that. . .at least, not without watching lots of other people do it first and observing the safety/side-effects/etc.

• #4,799
Bull

• #4,800
kyphysics said:
Yeah, I was merely thinking about risk factors. . .if I were paralyzed and could be "cured," I'd probably consider it. . .But, I wouldn't consider it if the surgery were meant to "enhance" my mental capabilities or something like that. . .at least, not without watching lots of other people do it first and observing the safety/side-effects/etc.
Sure, that's why the first patients will be paralyzed or have other very severe health conditions. As the technology improves we should see it being used for less serious conditions, until implants in healthy people might become an option.

• #4,801
If only I could travel back in time and warn my 12 YO self, would have prevented many self-inflicted bruises

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #4,803
Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 7.52.59 AM.png

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, jedishrfu, jack action and 2 others
  • #4,804

Likes Drakkith
  • #4,805
TIL Adam and Eve owned the first computer. It was an Apple. It had one byte. We are still recovering from the first crash, hoping for a reboot, and remembering that on a clear disk you can seek forever.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G, berkeman, pinball1970 and 4 others
  • #4,806
I recently found a podcast that I am thinking is pretty good.
It is Big Biology.
I would call it a serious biology podcast (as in science for adults).

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, BWV and Drakkith
  • #4,807
TIL that there is audio recording of the voice of Helmuth von Moltke the Elder, a man born in 1800 so technically in the 18th century. It was recorded on a wax cylinder in 1889, so the quality is extremely poor.

Likes pinball1970, Mondayman, Drakkith and 2 others
  • #4,808
BillTre said:
I recently found a podcast that I am thinking is pretty good.
It is Big Biology.
I would call it a serious biology podcast (as in science for adults).
Listened to the last episode during my commute this morning
https://www.bigbiology.org/episodes/2022/12/15/ep-94-synthesizing-life-on-the-planet-with-john-glass

these guys are trying to create the cellular equivalent of a model hydrogen atom - the simplest bacteria cell they can synthesize. They reduced this bacteria to 473 genes, and - surprising to me - biology still does not know what about 1/3 of the genes do.

Likes Drakkith
  • #4,809
Today I learned I didn't know as much about angular momentum as I thought.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes jack action, Rive, Ibix and 3 others
  • #4,810
Hornbein said:
oday I learned I didn't know as much about angular momentum as I thought.
Reminds me of a gyroscope. If it's spinning, it won't fall over.

• #4,811
TIL the effect of MRI machines on household items.

MRI

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and Drakkith
  • #4,812
Just found out a nice picture of a zebrafish a friend of mine (Dan Castranova) took is getting turned into a US postal stamp in a life magnified series:

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 7.19.58 PM.png

the zebrafish is the forth down in the first column.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, OmCheeto and 5 others
  • #4,813
TIL: Limpet teeth...

are grown as nanometer scale iron oxide (goethite crystals) and are the strongest (tensile strength) biologically produced material, stronger than spider silk. Apparently they may show up in your dentist's practice someday. Lots of interesting details here, if you need an excuse to waste some (more) time.

• Informative
Likes Drakkith and Hornbein
  • #4,814
We're expected to tip for take-out. . .when did this trend start in America?

In the "old days," take-out orders didn't have a tip expectation.

• #4,815
kyphysics said:
We're expected to tip for take-out. . .when did this trend start in America?

In the "old days," take-out orders didn't have a tip expectation.
"Expected?" Sez who?

I tip when someone brings the food to me.

Likes Rive
  • #4,816
DaveC426913 said:
I tip when someone brings the food to me.
Same, but only if there is no 'service charge' on the bill.

... I hate 'service charge'. A tip is supposed to be about feedback too. Service charge feels like upvoting yourself. Simply - cheating. :oldcry:

Likes Tom.G
  • #4,817
My fam went for a holiday dinner last week. Like, 13 of us. They put a service charge of 15%. (We call it an Autograt.)

I was on the edge of telling our servers I was planning to tip 20% as usual but that they'd taken that decision away from me...

• Haha
Likes strangerep, jack action, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #4,818
DaveC426913 said:
My fam went for a holiday dinner last week. Like, 13 of us. They put a service charge of 15%. (We call it an Autograt.)

I was on the edge of telling our servers I was planning to tip 20% as usual but that they'd taken that decision away from me...
The concept of waiters needing tips to actually have any sort of decent salary is something that never ceases to baffle me. I don’t stand outside the exam room with a cup for tips at the end of a course.

Likes mfb, strangerep, jack action and 1 other person
  • #4,819
Orodruin said:
I don’t stand outside the exam room with a cup for tips at the end of a course.
You should do. With a sign: "Give me a tip and I'll give you a tip."

Likes Orodruin
  • #4,820
Orodruin said:
The concept of waiters needing tips to actually have any sort of decent salary is something that never ceases to baffle me. I don’t stand outside the exam room with a cup for tips at the end of a course.
My opinion is that it's just an excuse to not pay your employees as much, putting the fault on them if they don't make enough. "Oh, you should be better at your job if you want better pay!"

Likes BillTre
  • #4,821
Drakkith said:
My opinion is that it's just an excuse to not pay your employees as much, putting the fault on them if they don't make enough. "Oh, you should be better at your job if you want better pay!"
Also if you expect customers to tip 20% then your listed prices are ~17% lower than the customer actually pays. So it looks cheaper than it actually is.

Likes Drakkith
  • #4,822
Today I learnt about tensors for the first time

Likes Orodruin, pinball1970, DaveE and 1 other person
  • #4,824
Ahmed1029 said:
Today I learnt about tensors for the first time
obi-wan-kenobi-thats-good.gif

Likes Ahmed1029
  • #4,825
Orodruin said:
obi-wan-kenobi-thats-good.gif
Yeah, I've always known the symbols and terminology, but they sounded like witchcraft.

• #4,826
Ahmed1029 said:
Yeah, I've always known the symbols and terminology, but they sounded like witchcraft.
Yeah, found it truly disappointing that I could not use them to commune with the forces of evil.

Likes Hornbein
  • #4,827
Canada’s Great Slave Lake was taken from the a translation of the Cree term for the lake, as that was Dene territory which they would raid and enslave captives. The Dene, not surprisingly, want the name changed.

Last edited:
Likes Hornbein
  • #4,828
BWV said:
I could not use them to commune with the forces of evil.
Some of my students may tell you that you can use them to commune with their professor …

• Haha
Likes BWV
  • #4,829
BWV said:
Yeah, found it truly disappointing that I could not use them to commune with the forces of evil.
You've obviously never said "Euler-Lagrange" three times in a mirror...

• Wow
Likes berkeman
  • #4,830
Ibix said:
You've obviously never said "Euler-Lagrange" three times in a mirror...
Is your theory not parity invariant? 🤔