Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #4,866
DaveC426913 said:
Be sure you have the latest. There was a "scandal" a while back where one of the smartest math savants in the world weighed in and passed judgement, but it turned out she'd gotten it wrong.
She got it right, but tons of readers got it wrong.
DaveC426913 said:
Apparently, the modern answer is that you **should** switch.
That was always the right answer, some people not understanding that doesn't change it.

Likes BWV
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,867
DaveC426913 said:
Be sure you have the latest. There was a "scandal" a while back where one of the smartest math savants in the world weighed in and passed judgement, but it turned out she'd gotten it wrong.

Apparently, the modern answer is that you **should** switch.
As @gmax137 has pointed out, this is off topic for this thread. Please start a separate thread if you want to discuss.

Likes DaveE
  • #4,868
TIL that:
S.O.S. = Slower, Older and Smarter

Likes Drakkith
  • #4,869
That

##d = d_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2##

Is simply a Taylor Expansion

Likes DaveE and Jonathan Scott
  • #4,870
BillTre said:
Slower, older, smarter...
Alas, if we continue the sequence we get jerk, snap, crackle, pop, which are uncomfortable parallel with real life... :oldfrown:

Likes PhDeezNutz
  • #4,871

• Wow
  • Love
Likes Rive, Drakkith, Jarvis323 and 4 others
  • #4,872
strangerep said:
And,... (TIL)... that Towel Day is in honour of Douglas Adams and (as a consequence) I also learned that Douglas Adams wrote/edited a number of Dr Who episodes.

I realize this is an old thread but TIL that Douglas Adams actually died from a heart attack while at his gym.
I hope the thought isn't too morbid but one could hope that he died towel in hand. :/

Of course he' not the only person this could be said for but the world is certainly a little pourer without him. Also, I'd like to hope he liked the film.

RIP.

Likes pinball1970, Drakkith and phinds
  • #4,873
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto and sbrothy
  • #4,874
sbrothy said:
I realize this is an old thread but TIL that Douglas Adams actually died from a heart attack while at his gym.
I hope the thought isn't too morbid but one could hope that he died towel in hand. :/

Of course he' not the only person this could be said for but the world is certainly a little pourer without him. Also, I'd like to hope he liked the film.

RIP.
He was unique. His books and Tom Sharpe were the bar at the time for me. Brilliant.
Douglas Adams, Rick Mayal and Andrew Marr made me re think pushing things at the gym past 40.

Last edited:
  • #4,875
sbrothy said:
the world is certainly a little pourer without [Douglas Adams].
Hmm. Was that a typo or a subtle pun that went over my head?

• #4,876
DaveC426913 said:
Huh. I heard he died of a virulent disease contracted from an unsanitized phone handset... (baZING!)
Alas, that virulent disease morphed and became self-aware some years ago. It's now called "social media".

• Love
Likes sbrothy, Tom.G and DaveC426913
  • #4,877
TIL that Scientific American published an article denouncing the Jedi Knights as a sexist institution.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
  • #4,878
Hornbein said:
TIL that Scientific American published an article denouncing the Jedi Knights as a sexist institution.
I haven't seen the article or watched the video yet, but there is a notable imbalance in the Force number of male and female Jedi in the films. Off the top of my head I think Rey is the only one with a line, certainly the only one with more than ten, versus Luke, Yoda, Obi Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin, Mace Windu, and assorted others with only one line. And the average amount of skin revealed by their clothing shows a fairly sharp divide too.

Expanded Universe material is a lot more even, particularly the pre-Disney novels.

• #4,879
Hornbein said:
Jedi Knights as a sexist institution.
Pretty bold of them to claim they've done the research to know the sex. What's the sex of these dude/ttes:

1673377751610.png

1673377840182.png

Or do they just assume that - unless it has eyelashes and lipstick - it's gotta be male. 'cuz that's pretty sexist.

Likes jack action and BillTre
  • #4,880
DaveC426913 said:
Pretty bold of them to claim they've done the research to know the sex. What's the sex of these dude/ttes:

View attachment 320139
View attachment 320140

Or do they just assume that - unless it has eyelashes and lipstick - it's gotta be male. 'cuz that's pretty sexist.
Top image, goatee. Safe to have a beer with, discuss Jedi issues.

Bottom image, pigtails of a sort. Discussion about Jedi issues would swiftly lead to Jedee issues. I lose, she eats my head. No sex prior to this.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #4,881
DaveC426913 said:
A quick google will find referenced sources describing both Ki-Adi-Mundi and Plo Koon as male. They do mostly state "gender" rather than "sex", but since the prequels predate the fashion for gender identities I doubt that's anything other than a euphemism for sex. Both actors are male, and I can't think of a case in Star Wars where that didn't predict the character sex.
pinball1970 said:
I lose, she eats my head. No sex prior to this.
There is a short story in the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina collection about a guy who seduces a girl without looking up her species' mating habits. Local law enforcement write it off as death by stupidity.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #4,882
strangerep said:
Hmm. Was that a typo or a subtle pun that went over my head?
I was just pouring on the love. ;)

• #4,883
Ibix said:
A quick google will find referenced sources describing both Ki-Adi-Mundi and Plo Koon as male.
Are those in-canon or out-of-canon refs? It just means the Earth source-authors are sexist. :wink:
Ibix said:
Both actors are male
🤔
That is not canon.

To accept the characters as actors is to accept whole thing as fiction - including the concept of Jedi.

Ibix said:
I can't think of a case in Star Wars where that didn't predict the character sex.
How would you know? Any conclusion in that regard would be tautological.

• #4,884
DaveC426913 said:
Are those in-canon or out-of-canon refs?
The Wookiepedia entry on Plo Koon cites The Secrets of the Jedi, which is a canon publication, so as true as anything gets about fictional characters.
DaveC426913 said:
How would you know? Any conclusion in that regard would be tautological.
By comparing the actor's sexes to canon references to the characters' sexes. Feel free to look for a counter example - I suspect they're rarer than female Imperials.

Lack of women is a franchise-wide thing, though, not specifically a Jedi thing. There are, I think, five female speaking roles in the original trilogy (Aunt Beru, Leia, Oola, Sy Snootles, Mon Mothma), three of whom appear in single scenes, plus a handful of background characters and aliens or armoured humans that could be female. It's obvious enough that the (Lucas Arts approved) Lego Star Wars parodies have Luke deduce Leia is his sister because he has only ever met two women and one of them was his aunt.

• #4,885
Ibix said:
The Wookiepedia entry on Plo Koon cites The Secrets of the Jedi, which is a canon publication, so as true as anything gets about fictional characters.
Granted.
Ibix said:
By comparing the actor's sexes to canon references to the characters' sexes. Feel free to look for a counter example - I suspect they're rarer than female Imperials.
Actor sex as nothing to do with Jedi sexism, since Jedi lives within the fiction. Consider: if the Yoda puppet happened to be operated by a female puppeteer, would you concede that Yoda, the character, counted as female? No. The character's sex is not determined by the performer's sex.

Ibix said:
Lack of women is a franchise-wide thing, though, not specifically a Jedi thing.
I grant that the industry is sexist. But if we accept that the article upholds the fiction, then we can only refer to canon reference, not industry references.

• #4,886
N.B. The Star Wars Holiday Special had Bea Arthur and at least one female Wookie.... oh, and Diahann Caroll.

• #4,887
diogenesNY said:
N.B. The Star Wars Holiday Special had Bea Arthur and at least one female Wookie.... oh, and Diahann Caroll.
I think you could find a number of people who would fight you in a ring with fisticuffs against the very idea that The H*liday Sp*cial That Must Not Be Named is part of Star Wars canon.

Pretty sure you'll find it on the shelf right next to H*ighl*nder II and III. Wherever that shelf might be.

:oldbiggrin:

• #4,888
I make no claims of cannonocity..... Just a terrible childhood memory of something that was very in the moment at the time.

Perhaps of note, this was also about the time that 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' was nominally cannon, until it wasn't.

---A brief autobiographical digression: The Holiday Special came out when I was in the sixth grade, and very into all things Star Wars. I was really geared up to see it, and wound up tuning in about 10-12 minutes late. I think I couldn't turn on the TV until I had finished my homework or some crap like that. I was really pissed that I missed the beginning. I watched about 25 or thirty minutes of it, with growing extreme disappointment. It just sucked, even to my sixth grade sensibilities. I am not sure what exactly happened next. I may have changed the channel, or just went into a different room and did something else, but I did not finish watching it. I was just mindblown at how crap it was.

About ten years ago, I came across a copy of it on usenet, digitized from an old VHS tape, off of some midwest TV station (sadly, the commercials had been crudely edited out. I would have like to have seen them). I forced myself to watch the whole thing just to finally have the knowledge of it from stem to stern. It was as bad as I recalled. The cartoon that introduced Boba Fett was probably its best part, notwithstanding the execrable animation. Minor diversion was trying to figure out what drugs Carrie Fisher was on during the taping. (Cocaine? other?)

Last edited:
  • #4,889
I found Sabine Hossenfelder's discussion of special relativity enlightening.

• #4,890
TIL about a 9-year old girl who found a cool fossil in a CNN article.

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 4.10.25 PM.png

Molly Sampson, a fourth grader from Prince Frederick, Maryland, made the astonishing find on Calvert Beach.

Molly told CNN that she has spent years combing Maryland’s beaches for shark teeth, inspired by her father’s love of fossils.

“They’re just cool because they’re really old,” she said.

Molly’s mother Alicia Sampson added that her daughter has long harbored a love of exploring the outdoors. “She loves treasure hunting,” she explained.

Maryland’s Calvert Cliffs State Park is known as a hotspot for fossil finding, Alicia Sampson added.

For Christmas, Molly asked her parents for cold-water waders so that she could hunt for shark teeth and other fossils in the Chesapeake Bay. Equipped with her new gear, she set out at 9:30 a.m. to search for the remnants of ancient predators.

“I saw something big, and it looked like a shark tooth,” she said. “We were about knee deep in the water.”
She explained that she tried to grab the tooth with a sifting tool, but it was too big. She was “amazed” when she realized just how large the tooth was. “I was so excited and surprised.”

230113134759-02-maryland-girl-shark-tooth.jpg

Paleontology curator Stephen Godfrey told CNN that Molly's discovery was a "once-in-a-lifetime kind of find."
Alicia Sampson

The Sampsons took their exciting find to the Calvert Marine Museum, where paleontology curator Stephen Godfrey confirmed their suspicions: It was indeed the tooth of a megalodon, the massive sharks that lived more than 23 million years ago.

Godfrey told CNN that there are usually only five or six megalodon teeth comparable in size to Molly’s find discovered along Calvert Cliffs each year.

“There are people that can spend a lifetime and not find a tooth the size Molly found,” he said.
“This is like a once-in-a-lifetime kind of find.”
I think this story is great. Its cool that she wanted to get waders so she could fossil hunt and then immediately found one.

Likes OmCheeto, pinball1970, sbrothy and 1 other person
  • #4,891

Some pretty amazing things Chat GPT can do for coders.

One scary part is how this might be potentially used for nefarious purposes. . .that aspect of A.I. is troubling, b/c of how powerful it can be.

Likes Borg and Drakkith
  • #4,892
kyphysics said:

Some pretty amazing things Chat GPT can do for coders.

One scary part is how this might be potentially used for nefarious purposes. . .that aspect of A.I. is troubling, b/c of how powerful it can be.

I've been following the ChatGPT thread and the answers that everyone has been getting but this finally convinced me to sign up for an account. His list of time saving examples were good examples of how it's far superior to a simple StackOverflow search.

I laughed when someone wrote in his twitter feed that they wouldn't hire him for using ChatGPT answers and he replied that he wouldn't work for them. :oldtongue:

• #4,893
1673811851219.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes russ_watters, BillTre and jack action
  • #4,894
TIL that Red Bull really is red!

jacks tiny tacos Red Bull.jpg

Likes Drakkith
  • #4,895
Hi there!

Structured binding in C++17
C++:
structured binding in C++
// before 17
std::map<int, double> tmp;
for(const auto& i : tmp){
  i.first;
  i.second:
}
// structured binding in C++ 17
for(const auto& [key, value] : tmp) {
  key;
  value;
}

• #4,896
TIL what happens when you pass half of a portal through the other half.

Likes jack action, BillTre and Drakkith
  • #4,897
Hornbein said:
TIL what happens when you pass half of a portal through the other half.
Dang it! I really gotta publish my works before others do! I've got a sketch of this in my sketchbook - right down to the elliptical shape.

• #4,898
  • #4,899
Ivan Seeking said:
What color were you expecting? :olduhh:
Yeah, in retrospect I guess I should have anticipated it. But I just had in mind the high caffeine content, so in my mind it was going to be black like coffee or cola. Duh!

• #4,900
berkeman said:
Yeah, in retrospect I guess I should have anticipated it. But I just had in mind the high caffeine content, so in my mind it was going to be black like coffee or cola. Duh!
:oldbiggrin: Truth is, I had exactly the same reaction. I expected it to look like a cola. "Oh, it's red! Duh!"

Likes berkeman