Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,111
TIL: This from NASA on Black holes, size comparisons with some nice dreamy spaced out music.

Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,112
Today I learned that,
I cannot [like] nor [comment] on YouTube video played in Physics Form windows.

• #5,114
12+1 = 11+2, but today I learned that they are also anagrams in English:

TWELVE + ONE = ELEVEN + TWO

anagram.png

• Love
Likes KingGambit, jack action and Tom.G
  • #5,115
mfb said:
12+1 = 11+2, but today I learned that they are also anagrams in English:

TWELVE + ONE = ELEVEN + TWO

View attachment 325901
And "12"+"1"=11^2.

Likes mfb and KingGambit
  • #5,116
This works also. :wink:

TWELVE PLUS ONE = ELEVEN PLUS TWO

• #5,118
Likes KingGambit and pinball1970
  • #5,119
BillTre said:
Wow. Who knew?
Me. But I was also surprised the first time I read it.

Likes BillTre
  • #5,121
Wolves, all kinds of seals, foxes, jackals, coyotes, ... all dogs.

• Informative
Likes KingGambit, BillTre and pinball1970
  • #5,123
pinball1970 said:
For a newspaper ...

pinball1970 said:
... the Guardian can be pretty good sometimes.
For a little, very little moment I thought you would say Sun or Mirror.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and phinds
  • #5,124
pinball1970 said:
I always thought that about foxes, they look doggish but move like a cat. I will check
Don't bother. I've checked searched the wiki page.
1683532760566.png

They belong to Canidae family. It's dog allright.
Fox, I knew before. But Hyaena I just knew yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #5,125
TIL 40% Of mammals are Rodents and 20% are bats. Beavers, squirrels and chipmunks are Rodents but not badgers, minks, otters and wolverines. I had to check Wolverine, it looks like a badger nothing like a wolf.

Likes KingGambit and BillTre
  • #5,126
TIL, yesterday 09th May, in our PHY102: E&M lecture, that it is better to use the left ear for phone calls due to increase in EM waves around when on calls, and because the left ear have some protective...fluid(?)

• #5,127
DeBangis21 said:
TIL, yesterday 09th May, in our PHY102: E&M lecture, that it is better to use the left ear for phone calls due to increase in EM waves around when on calls, and because the left ear have some protective...fluid(?)

Are you sure you heard that right? There is no research to back up either claim. Both ears are constructed the same but of course one could have some hearing loss making the other ear the preferred one for phone calls.

As an example, there Maniere's Disease that can affect hearing in one ear and sometimes both as it progresses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ménière's_disease

The fluid of the inner ear is the same in both ears.

Electromagnetic waves of mobile phones, are non-ionizing radiation and are generally considered safe at the levels at which we are exposed to them. Numerous scientific studies have been conducted and the consensus is that there is no conclusive evidence to link mobile phone radiation to harmful health effects.

Likes mfb, collinsmark, DeBangis21 and 1 other person
  • #5,128
DeBangis21 said:

Me thinks your E&M lecturer is a creative storyteller.

Likes phinds
  • #5,129
jedishrfu said:
Are you sure you heard that right? There is no research to back up either claim. Both ears are constructed the same but of course one could have some hearing loss making the other ear the preferred one for phone calls.

As an example, there Maniere's Disease that can affect hearing in one ear and sometimes both as it progresses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ménière's_disease

The fluid of the inner ear is the same in both ears.

Electromagnetic waves of mobile phones, are non-ionizing radiation and are generally considered safe at the levels at which we are exposed to them. Numerous scientific studies have been conducted and the consensus is that there is no conclusive evidence to link mobile phone radiation to harmful health effects.
Thank you for the information.

• #5,130
I've seen a few articles on using AI in combination with a hospital MRI machine to figure out what a person was looking at or generally thinking. TIL that reading a person's mind with AI may not always require an MRI and that the algorithms are getting sophisticated enough to understand more complicated thoughts such as sentences.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/a...es-brain-activity-into-diaglogue-173774917826

About 3 minutes in, the discussion turns to other ways to read a person's thoughts using more portable methods. I'm not familiar with the device that she mentions to know how 'portable' it is (I suspect that it's still big). However, she does state that it is using GPT 1 and goes on to discuss future, smaller devices like ear buds that could have this scanning tech installed into them. Given the advancements we're seeing in AI, the possibility of reading others thoughts may be closer than anyone realizes and the corporations building those devices may have direct access to our inner thoughts. Pretty scary if it becomes reality.

• Skeptical
Likes Drakkith and Bystander
  • #5,131
Lets hope its not misused by bad actors as was done with the polygraph tests in the past.

I can see the tech used as means to talk with patients in a coma or some sort of paralysis.

• Skeptical
Likes Drakkith and Bystander
  • #5,132
The average Canadian lives in Michigan

1683771869524.png

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, OmCheeto, Jonathan Scott and 6 others
  • #5,133
BWV said:

View attachment 326338
Looks like the Houghton in the upper peninsula.

Also Detroit is north of Windsor.

• #5,134
BWV said:

View attachment 326338
"...lies, damned lies, and statistics."

• Haha
Likes Drakkith and KingGambit
  • #5,135
jedishrfu said:
Are you sure you heard that right? There is no research to back up...

What did you mean "heard that right"? With his right or left ear?

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
  • #5,136
Google I/O plans to implement AI across all its 50? Apps, all new mobiles, and all new developer tools.

This fresh approach introduces features like easy printing of related photos, generating thoughtful yet artificial text, expanding storage in G Drive, and boosting Google's revenue.

AI serves as a creative tool, compensating for skill and creativity deficiencies while enhancing Google's profitability. Initially free, users may later opt for monthly payments to access more storage or view additional ads, reminiscent of disliked live TV experiences.

The OpenAI trend aids in finding quick answers, and creative instant art, but constructive actions matter more than this transient entertainment.

• #5,137
The OpenAI trend is the last nail in the coffin of independent thinking!

This alone is sad, but even sadder is the fact that AI is so stupid, superficially, and usually wrong.

• #5,138
TonyStewart said:
Google I/O plans to implement AI across all its 50? Apps, all new mobiles, and all new developer tools.

This fresh approach introduces features like easy printing of related photos, generating thoughtful yet artificial text, expanding storage in G Drive, and boosting Google's revenue.

AI serves as a creative tool, compensating for skill and creativity deficiencies while enhancing Google's profitability. Initially free, users may later opt for monthly payments to access more storage or view additional ads, reminiscent of disliked live TV experiences.

The OpenAI trend aids in finding quick answers, and creative instant art, but constructive actions matter more than this transient entertainment.
It appears that this was generated by ChatGPT.

Likes fresh_42
  • #5,139
fresh_42 said:
The OpenAI trend is the last nail in the coffin of independent thinking!

This alone is sad, but even sadder is the fact that AI is so stupid, superficially, and usually wrong.
You seen this guy? He works through past exam papers. EDIT just to add this was live a few minutes ago but I am tied up at work so I will watch later

• Informative
Likes strangerep
  • #5,140
TIL how some people use molten lead to clear invasive insect colonies

Edit: It's aluminium, actually.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre and Borg
  • #5,141
Swamp Thing said:
TIL how some people use molten lead to clear invasive insect colonies

Edit: It's aluminium, actually.

Wasps too

• Sad
Likes BillTre and fresh_42
  • #5,142
TIL a new definition for the acronym AI: Artificial Imbecility

• Love
Likes Tom.G, BillTre, Bystander and 1 other person
  • #5,143
I know that is a horrific way to kill a living organism, fire and heat. My worst nightmare.
Melting point of Aluminium is 660C so death would be quick. @fresh_42

• #5,144
pinball1970 said:
I know that is a horrific way to kill a living organism, fire and heat. My worst nightmare.
Melting point of Aluminium is 660C so death would be quick. @fresh_42
Yes, but it seems so useless. I never liked these.

• #5,145
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but it seems so useless. I never liked these.
It does work Fresh.
Not everyone has a mobile oven that can convert Aluminium to a liquid in a crucible, I will give you that but the technique works and is quick.
Wasps are not vectors, however, wasps in residential areas on masse can cause problems and be a threat especially to kids, if you watch the link.
unpleasant but necessary to remove them. Rent a kill would put chemicals into the environment.