Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,461
BWV said:
Yes, the land where even the French have crappy food
Yeah : "national dish" was the word I was looking for, not "national cuisine", but there's a huge disconnect between KD & poutine (used to be Quebec specific), and stuff like "baked salmon", or "moose au jus"(kidding) in price. Sorta like the US with hot-dogs and ramen, vs whatever y'alls' "national-dish" (something with beef ? I imagine Texas goes straight to BBQ steak) is.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,462
hmmm27 said:
Yeah : "national dish" was the word I was looking for, not "national cuisine", but there's a huge disconnect between KD & poutine (used to be Quebec specific), and stuff like "baked salmon", or "moose au jus"(kidding) in price. Sorta like the US with hot-dogs and ramen, vs whatever y'alls' "national-dish" (something with beef ? I imagine Texas goes straight to BBQ steak) is.
Texas definitely is BBQ brisket, which is high art ;)

Just compare French Canadian food with what their compatriots did in Louisiana - but food in Northern climates generally sucks

• #5,463
BWV said:
Texas definitely is BBQ brisket, which is high art ;)

Just compare French Canadian food with what their compatriots did in Louisiana - but food in Northern climates generally sucks
Speaking of food from Northern climes: It has recently come to my attention that a traditionally Finnish food that I grew with seems to be gaining some in popularity here in the US. This is "bread cheese" (Juustoleipä).
For the last couple of years, you can seasonally order it from Swiss Colony, and versions of it are being sold at Trader Joe's*, QVC, and Safeway. It is basically made by adding rennet to warmed milk, then letting it sit until it forms curds. You then press out the whey(which, if you are adventurous, you can use to make whey wine). The remaining curds are put on a baking sheet as a mass ~1/2-3/4 inch thick, lightly salted, and placed under a broiler to cook. (At least this is the basic "homemade" version Mom made.)
She didn't make it often, because it took a lot of whole milk to make a relatively small amount.

* though they don't appear to sell the traditional type, just ones with an additional seasoning like garlic added.

Likes BWV
  • #5,464
Janus said:
Speaking of food from Northern climes: It has recently come to my attention that a traditionally Finnish food that I grew with seems to be gaining some in popularity here in the US. This is "bread cheese" (Juustoleipä).
For the last couple of years, you can seasonally order it from Swiss Colony, and versions of it are being sold at Trader Joe's*, QVC, and Safeway.It is basically made by adding rennet to warmed milk, then letting it sit until it forms curds. You then press out the whey(which, if you are adventurous, you can use to make whey wine). The remaining curds are put on a baking sheet as a mass ~1/2-3/4 inch thick, lightly salted, and placed under a broiler to cook. (At least this is the basic "homemade" version Mom made.)
She didn't make it often, because it took a lot of whole milk to make a relatively small amount.

* though they don't appear to sell the traditional type, just ones with an additional seasoning like garlic added.
My mother's family were 19th cent Norwegian immigrants and grew up eating lefse at holidays, which is like a potato flour tortilla with butter and sugar

• #5,465
BWV said:
but food in Northern climates generally sucks
At least we get to taste the stuff instead of relying on a scorched-tastebuds policy of spice.:wink:

Likes DaveC426913
  • #5,466
BWV said:
You obviously never went to a sugar shack.

But, yeah, the French Canadian culture is dying. If you came to visit, I wouldn't be able to find a restaurant that serves "typical French Canadian food" - heck, just "Canadian" food for that matter - for you to try (except the sugar shacks when in season). Restaurants are all foreign food (including American food) and it has made its way into our homes. 🙁 Your best bet to find some (homemade or restaurant) might be close to the ocean where seafood is part of the local cuisine. But it's pretty much the same as whatever seafood you would find elsewhere.

I don't know anyone who eats - let alone cooks - typical sugar shack meals at home. I remember my grandmother doing some in the seventies, for fun, "like they used to do back in the days", that's it. My last "typical, homemade, holiday family dinner" probably dates back 20 years ago.

Likes BWV
  • #5,467
hmmm27 said:
At least we get to taste the stuff instead of relying on a scorched-tastebuds policy of spice.:wink:
Otherwise known as flavor …. ;)

• #5,468
BWV said:
The flavour's there, already ; why muck it up with a flamethrower ?

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
  • #5,469
BWV said:
Spiciness is a sensation orthogonal to flavour.

Likes Tom.G and hmmm27
  • #5,470
1695063156220.jpeg

• Haha
Likes Haborix
  • #5,471
BWV said:
My mother's family were 19th cent Norwegian immigrants and grew up eating lefse at holidays, which is like a potato flour tortilla with butter and sugar
I've had lefse. My wife is part Danish on her mother's side. She also introduced me to Welsh griddle cakes. In turn, I introduced her to the aforementioned cheese, along with Pulla (cardamon coffee bread) and Joulutortut ( Christmas tarts, a pastry shaped like a 4 pointed star with a prune filling.)

Likes BWV
  • #5,472
Today I learned that TWELVE+ONE is an anagram of ELEVEN+TWO.

• Wow
Likes dextercioby, collinsmark and hmmm27
  • #5,473
TIL that about 40 years ago, a lady from the U.S. stole a bunch of documents and other items that had once belonged to Alan Turing, from a collection that his mother had gifted to his old school.

Alan's stuff recently ended up back in his school -- watch the video to learn how.

• #5,474
This was in my Facebook feed today. I'd always assumed that they used a big pump for the snorkel, but they are much more creative than that. Great stuff!

1695417761285.png

• Informative
Likes Borg, Tom.G, NTL2009 and 2 others
  • #5,476

. . .that I'm unworthy of having passed college Calculus 1. . .I got this wrong (I chose 16). . .

• #5,477
kyphysics said:

. . .that I'm unworthy of having passed college Calculus 1. . .I got this wrong (I chose 16). . .

70% ???

What an embarrassment.

• Haha
Likes Math100
  • #5,478
kyphysics said:

The question is ##2+2\times 4## and the options are 13, 14, 15, or 16? Am I reading that right? By the normal order of operations none of the possible answers is correct (10 is correct).

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Math100 and kyphysics
  • #5,479
Ibix said:
The question is ##2+2\times 4## and the options are 13, 14, 15, or 16? Am I reading that right? By the normal order of operations none of the possible answers is correct (10 is correct).
Yeah, Tweet author said none of the above is actually the right answer. I thought you were supposed to do 2 x 4 = 8 first, b/c o PEMDAS . . .multiplication before addition. And then you did 8 x the remaining 2. ...It should be 8 + 2.

Yes, I actually passed Calc 1 in college. But, I was NOT STEM (triple major in humanities/social sciences) and never used much math afterwards.

Also, this felt like an optical illusion to my eyes the way I had to rearrange things mentally and mixed up x & + for the final operation.

• #5,480
Ibix said:
16 is the answer that many calculators give when used in "non-scientific" mode.

E.g. Windows Calculator:

1695578014511.png
1695577960177.png
1695579132791.png

Last edited:
  • #5,482
There is no post so enticing of engagement as a post that contains an error.

The possible answers are deliberately wrong because that generates much more engagement.
And the only way to engage is to choose a wrong answer.
Which just elicits more engagement because the poll results insinuate that most people are dumb.

We posters are being played. It's kinda clever, in a P.T. Barnum kinda way.

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #5,484
How japanese fake food is made.

Likes Tom.G
  • #5,485
Hungry ... must make snack ...

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #5,486
berkeman said:
This was in my Facebook feed today. I'd always assumed that they used a big pump for the snorkel, but they are much more creative than that. Great stuff!

View attachment 332395
Five metric tons in thirty seconds? Incredible. It must take real skill to avoid crashing into the water.

• #5,487
fresh_42 said:
70% ???

What an embarrassment.
"I am incapable of embarrassment." -- Commander Data

• #5,488
DaveC426913 said:
There is no post so enticing of engagement as a post that contains an error.

The possible answers are deliberately wrong because that generates much more engagement.
And the only way to engage is to choose a wrong answer.
Which just elicits more engagement because the poll results insinuate that most people are dumb.

We posters are being played. It's kinda clever, in a P.T. Barnum kinda way.
Ha. You could very well be right. Yet another motive for engulfment of society by stupidity.

• #5,491
TIL that honeybees can be weaponized. What next, bunny rabbits?

• Wow
Likes berkeman, jack action and DaveC426913
  • #5,492
Remember, 3 weeks ago, when I learned that Neil Armstrong went through customs after returning from the moon?

TIL even a weirder fact:

passport.jpg

And it is true:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/01/30/fact-check-ramesses-ii-had-passport-but-viral-image-fake/4313165001/ said:

France issued Ramesses II a passport​

It's true that the mummy of Ramesses II was issued a passport in 1974.

Ramesses II lived to be 96 and was the third pharaoh of the 19th Dynasty, according to Ancient History Encyclopedia.

When the mummy of Ramesses had to be flown to Paris for restoration, it was issued an authentic Egyptian passport that included a photo of his ancient face. His occupation was listed as "King (deceased)," National Geographic reported.

His body was entombed in the Valley of the Kings, but it was later moved by ancient Egyptian priests because of rampant looters, according to National Geographic.

Archaeologists noticed the mummy's deteriorating condition and treated it for a fungal infection in Paris.

The French military aircraft that brought Ramesses' remains from the Cairo museum was greeted by the Garde Republicaine, France's equivalent of a U.S. Marine honor guard, according to a 1976 article from The New York Times.

However, the image is an artist's creation of the passport and the pharaoh's passport is not publicly available.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes BillTre, Rive and fresh_42
  • #5,493
Some handy Australian lingo, thanks to the US Embassy

1695911403885.png

Likes Hornbein, BillTre and fresh_42
  • #5,494
Likes BillTre
  • #5,495
In 2017 Congresswomen got the right to bare arms. The Senate followed suit two years later.

This week the Senate passed the SHow Our Respect To the Senate (SHORTS) act, which requires "business attire." LIke that sense of humor.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and fresh_42
Back