Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #5,706
pbuk said:
Not since 1974.
It can still be pretty confusing to people not having English as their first language. Most higher level textbooks will be in English.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,707
TIL about an AI technique called Prompt Injection where a user request can be hijacked similar to SQL injection or Cross-site scripting attacks. In Prompt Injection, a web page could theoretically issue hidden commands to an LLM to ignore the user's request and perform a completely different task. While this isn't currently an issue for ChatGPT which doesn't directly retrieve pages from the internet, this could be a big deal as LLMs start reaching out live to web sites in the future.
Damn it. :doh:

• #5,709
Way too many bugs for birds and other predators to eat during their short period of availability.
Which is why this life cycle strategy is thought to have evolved.

I was around when a bunch came out in Maryland when I was a kid.
I always thought they made flying saucer sounds.

Likes collinsmark
  • #5,710
BillTre said:
I was around when a bunch came out in Maryland when I was a kid.
I always thought they made flying saucer sounds.
Me too, although I wasn't a kid when they came out. I was there for it twice.

Once had one of the ()#@**@(# things hit my wing window (back when cars HAD such things) that was angled back to put a breeze on my face and it ricocheted off into my face and scared me half to death. Not a good thing since I was going about 60+ on the Washington Beltway.

My kids were fascinated by them.

Likes collinsmark, Khi Choy Xichdu and BillTre
  • #5,711
I've posted this article before many years ago, but it's always good to post about cicadas. Cicadas are awesome.

The Cicada's Love Affair With Prime Numbers
cicadas-prime-580.jpg

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-cicadas-love-affair-with-prime-numbers

To test this hypothesis, researchers from Brazil’s Universidade Estadual de Campinas used a computer simulation, very similar to John Conway’s Game of Life, in which simulated cicadas and predators battled it out in a hundred-by-hundred-cell matrix. They found exactly what Gould had suggested: cicadas with a prime-numbered life cycle had the most successful evolutionary strategy. If we discount those cicadas with life cycles of ten years or fewer (as being too close to predator life cycles), we find that the most successful emergence rates for cyber cicadas are thirteen and seventeen years—precisely what we find in the wild.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G, DaveE, jack action and 2 others
  • #5,712
TIL I'm filling in on a gig, other drummer Ill. Veeerrrry rusty on this set. Wish me luck. On at 8pm

Likes Grinkle, collinsmark and fresh_42
  • #5,713
pinball1970 said:
TIL I'm filling in on a gig, other drummer Ill. Veeerrrry rusty on this set. Wish me luck. On at 8pm
Break a leg! (Is that for musicians too, or only actors? I used to say it before martial arts gradings too :wink:)

Likes collinsmark and pinball1970
  • #5,714
IMG_20240127_191830_879.jpg

This is what nerves look like

Likes DaveC426913, BillTre, Borg and 1 other person
  • #5,716
TIL that George Carlin's estate is suing a media company (Dudesy) for copyright infringement over an AI generated special they produced.

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,717
TIL that there are places with ##10^{30}## bar. Everywhere.
(The pressure a quark experiences in the center of a proton.)

• Wow
Likes dextercioby, BillTre and pinball1970
  • #5,718
Oh I thought you were going to say the pressure @pinball1970 is putting on himself

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, DaveC426913, BillTre and 2 others
  • #5,719
fresh_42 said:
TIL that there are places with ##10^{30}## bar. Everywhere.
(The pressure a quark experiences in the center of a proton.)
Some say this is the same as the pressure in the center of a neutron star, some say it is ten times more. No one knows the precise radius of any neutron star, so there is some uncertainty. Maybe there is a quark plasma at the center, maybe not.

• #5,720
TIL that a Google search of how much energy Bitcoin uses to exist shows you its an estimated 0.5% of the worlds electricity production. I find that a staggering amount - I am not sure how sound the estimate is.

• #5,721
I read years ago that there was the equivalent of 50 powerplants in China supplying power for all of the bitcoin miners. Whatever the actual value, I'm sure that it's a lot.

• #5,722
A small thing, but I learned that Schroedinger's equation is a diffusion equation and path integral formulation is actually the thought of Norbert Weiner, originally.

• #5,725
TIL that smaller dogs and dogs with longer nose live longer than others.
Not an absolute rule, but a a general trend.
Dogs with short smashed on noses are prone to breathing problems and respiratory infections.
Smaller animals live longer generally.
Females live longer than males.
The effects are generally small, usually under a year to less than 2 year differences in longevity.
NY Times article here.
There is a big list of breeds.
Expect many similar stories in the next few days (popular subject).
Research article here.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 10.28.57 AM.png

2024-02-02_10-30-38.png

Likes collinsmark
  • #5,726
TIL that ...
BillTre said:
... was an invention of German immigrants from Westfalia, and that Phil was originally a badger.

• Informative
Likes BillTre
  • #5,727
fresh_42 said:
TIL that ...

... was an invention of German immigrants from Westfalia, and that Phil was originally a badger.
TIL that
a. Badgers are indigenous to my state, and
b. Badgers are indigenous to all continents except South America and Australia

source: wiki image

ps. I love the image creators comment, as it is just too much like how I deal with things; "The inspiration was too confusing, so I recompiled this from a set of existing maps available on the Commons. "

Likes BillTre
  • #5,729
fresh_42 said:
Btw., did you tell us how it went? Was it like this or more like that?
I tried to post immediately after the gig but I was a bit all over the place i got distracted.
It was A.Sold out and B. Great.
Supporting 'Twin Lizzy' who were really good.

Likes Borg, gmax137, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #5,730
TIL: Today I listened to a piece of music and I thought: "Sounds like Beethoven but isn't Beethoven." I found Otto Nicolai (symphony in D major), a German composer in the first half of the 19th century who founded the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

Life isn't fair. We (Germans) gave Austria Mozart, Beethoven, and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, and I do not need to mention whom they gave us.

• Haha
Likes dextercioby and jack action
  • #5,731
fresh_42 said:
TIL: Today I listened to a piece of music and I thought: "Sounds like Beethoven but isn't Beethoven." I found Otto Nicolai (symphony in D major), a German composer in the first half of the 19th century who founded the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

Life isn't fair. We (Germans) gave Austria Mozart, Beethoven, and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, and I do not need to mention whom they gave us.
You have Bach and Gauss!

Einstein was born in Ulm part of Germany. So, is that one two three?
We have Shakespeare and Tolkien so have you there.

• #5,732
pinball1970 said:
You have Bach and Gauss!
A propos musical exchange. I listen to Sir Cliff Richard's German version of "Lucky Lips" these days. Boy, that lyrics would cause a giant s**tstorm today. What a sexist text! And he wasn't alone. Those texts in the 60s regardless of whether English or German were often very borderline.

DYK that the Beatles recorded songs in German, too?

• #5,733
fresh_42 said:
A propos musical exchange. I listen to Sir Cliff Richard's German version of "Lucky Lips" these days. Boy, that lyrics would cause a giant s**tstorm today. What a sexist text! And he wasn't alone. Those texts in the 60s regardless of whether English or German were often very borderline.

Yeah the Beatles loved Germany, cut their teeth in Hamburg I think.

• #5,734
pinball1970 said:

• #5,735
pinball1970 said:
Must be a Liverpool thing.

• #5,736
fresh_42 said:

Cliff Richard? I'll check it out.

I think the Beatles did a few in German.

Last edited:
  • #5,737
pinball1970 said:
Cliff Richard? I'll it out.

These are the 2 I know about, too. There could be some more during their time in Hamburg that weren't recorded. I should have an album with Pete Best somewhere in the basement.

I do not recognize the voice of that one ...

... only the slight English accent.

• #5,738
TIL that caesarean sections have been performed for thousands of years.
The surgery has been performed at least as far back as 715 BC following the death of the mother, with the baby occasionally surviving... Descriptions of mothers surviving date back to 1500 AD.

• #5,739
I always thought it was named after Julius Ceasar but the wiki link (thanks @Borg ) shows that's not true. TIL...

• #5,740
pinball1970 said:
I picked up this CD somewhere. Take a look at the Liner Notes for the songs auf Deutsch

20240203_120621.jpg

20240203_120654.jpg

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Back