Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,917
Likes bhobba
  • #5,918
Hornbein said:
The word ‘orange’ is relatively new to the English language [...]

It is an unusual word. I mean, just try to think of a word that rhymes with "orange."

I don't think there are any words (spoken in English; proper nouns not allowed) that rhyme with orange. Okay, maybe "sporange," which is a technical jargon word (I had to google for that).

• #5,919
I've long been amazed by this. Isn't orange one of the seven bands in the rainbow? Did they actually count six? Maybe they had more important things to do, like staying alive.

The Pleiades hold a similar mystery. In the legends there are usually seven Pleiades but we see only six. ?

• #5,920
TIL its national zoo and aquarium month.

When I was four years old, lived across the road from the National Zoo in DC for a year.
It became my main playground.

Likes pinball1970, Klystron, docnet and 1 other person
  • #5,921
BillTre said:
TIL its national zoo and aquarium month.

When I was four years old, lived across the road from the National Zoo in DC for a year.
It became my main playground.
so lucky! Did that experience made you want to get your neurodevelopmental biology degree?

Likes BillTre
  • #5,922
docnet said:
so lucky! Did that experience made you want to get your neurodevelopmental biology degree?
I am guessing it had something to do with that.
Its a good story anyway.

Its also why I like gibbons so much.

Likes pinball1970 and docnet
  • #5,923

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, dwarde, Borg and 1 other person
  • #5,924
Today I learned that Wikipedia says Justin Bieber has Albrecht Durer's Praying Hands tattooed on his left leg.

• #5,925
TIL about the Allis-Chalmers fuel-cell tractor, developed in the 1950's:

• #5,926
Don't underestimate the smarts of normal people:

Likes Klystron, collinsmark and DaveE
  • #5,927

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes jack action, pinball1970 and fresh_42
  • #5,928

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes bhobba and Klystron
  • #5,929
USA beat Pakistan in the Cricket 20 20, amazing result.

Some highlights here, the catch at 15 seconds in, wow.

Looks like a lot of money being thrown at it too. Americans and cricket.....never saw that one coming!

• Informative
Likes bhobba
  • #5,930
pinball1970 said:

Some highlights here, the catch at 15 seconds in, wow.

Looks like a lot of money being thrown at it too. Americans and cricket.....never saw that one coming!

I live in Indonesia. It's the fourth most populous country in the world but they never beat anyone in football/soccer. They just don't see the point. However when they got second in the world in badminton that was front page news. Badminton is a big deal in Indonesia because it doesn't take up much space. Java is very densely populated, they have little space, so badminton is IT. China was first but beating China is hopeless so that didn't dampen anyone's joy.

Today I learned that the world singles badminton champion is Danish. Hail individualism! Denmark has long been the European numba one in badminton.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba, pinball1970 and Klystron
  • #5,931
T.I.L. William Anders killed in a plane crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Anders

“In December 1968, Anders flew on the Apollo 8 mission, the first mission where humans traveled beyond low Earth orbit,[9] and the first crewed flight to reach and orbit the Moon.[21] When the spacecraft came out from behind the Moon for its fourth pass across the front, the crew witnessed an "Earthrise" for the first time in human history.[22]”

1718023315506.png

Likes Klystron, fresh_42 and BillTre
  • #5,932
collinsmark said:
It is an unusual word. I mean, just try to think of a word that rhymes with "orange."
door hinge
syringe
lozenge
scavenge

Technically, one syllable words are rhymes too, so fringe, grundge, lunge.

Now if you want a word that's hard to rhyme with, try month. (I was only able to manage it by affecting a lithp and putting it in a dirty limerick).

Hornbein said:
I've long been amazed by this. Isn't orange one of the seven bands in the rainbow? Did they actually count six?
Don't know how much truth there is to it, but I heard that Newton had a thing for 7, so he inserted Indigo as one of the colours of the rainbow.

Likes BillTre
  • #5,933
DaveC426913 said:
Don't know how much truth there is to it, but I heard that Newton had a thing for 7, so he inserted Indigo as one of the colours of the rainbow.
He had a rather dark side:
Was Newton a scientist or a sorcerer? said:
Isaac Newton's belief in spirits and alchemy may have been essential to achieving his towering scientific achievement: gravity. A new science and arts festival begins this weekend to explore this complex man
https://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2012/sep/21/isaac-newton-scientist-sorcerer

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,934
DaveC426913 said:
door hinge

Likes collinsmark and DaveC426913
  • #5,935
Today I learned that
[Hobson's choice] is often used to describe an illusion that multiple choices are available. The best known Hobson's choice is "I'll give you a choice: take it or leave it", wherein "leaving it" is strongly undesirable.

The phrase is said to have originated with Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), a livery stable owner in Cambridge, England, who offered customers the choice of either taking the horse in his stall nearest to the door or taking none at all.

Previously I had thought it was a choice between two equally undesirable alternatives. Some say that's dilemma, but others (such as I) say the requirement is less, that the alternatives be equal. A dilemma could be a choice between two equally craveable mates.

OK, if you believe in the "undesirable" option, then what do you call a choice between two highly desirable yet mutually exclusive alternatives?

• #5,936
Got an ad from a local toy store saying that tomorrow is international Day of Play.
Enjoy!

Likes Klystron
  • #5,937
Hornbein said:
OK, if you believe in the "undesirable" option, then what do you call a choice between two highly desirable yet mutually exclusive alternatives?
Need to work on an expression for two desirable outcomes but can offer updates to the old-timey Hobson's Choice argument. Around mid 20th C., technical engineering descisions and standard practices largely replace the idea of "choice", as in choosing a reliable horse.

Various expressions of Murphy's Law, Finagle's Constant and logical pessimism offer little hope for competing optimismistic outcomes:

"If it can go wrong, it will go wrong".
"The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.

Murphy's law[a] is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." In some formulations:
AKA Finagle's Corollary to Murphy's Law
it is extended to "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time."

Philosphers point out contradictions in these adages but test pilots who worked with Murphy found wisdom. Yet another form: "Assume the worst. You will seldom be disappointed."

• #5,938
Klystron said:
Need to work on an expression for two desirable outcomes but can offer updates to the old-timey Hobson's Choice argument. Around mid 20th C., technical engineering descisions and standard practices largely replace the idea of "choice", as in choosing a reliable horse.

Various expressions of Murphy's Law, Finagle's Constant and logical pessimism offer little hope for competing optimismistic outcomes:

"If it can go wrong, it will go wrong".
"The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.

AKA Finagle's Corollary to Murphy's Law

Philosphers point out contradictions in these adages but test pilots who worked with Murphy found wisdom. Yet another form: "Assume the worst. You will seldom be disappointed."
I was an engineer and can attest to the correctness of such pessimism. Thank God the outside world isn't like that.

• Care
Likes Klystron
  • #5,939
pinball1970 said:

At the turn of the last century, believe it or not, cricket was quite popular in the USA; so much so it was reported equally with baseball in the press.

In Australia, before cricketers got paid a fortune for playing IPL etc, in the off-season they played a lot of baseball. Ian Chappell played for his local baseball club near his home.

Both baseball and cricket are played in the USA and Australia, it just for various reasons in each country, one has become more popular than the other.

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #5,940

@oliviervancantfort5327

1 year ago
Never underestimate the power of herd behaviour. I had an amazing example some years ago (before we all got Waze in our pocket). I was like many other people driving home from holidays. The traffic on the highway was very dense but still fluid. Then there was a police car next to the largest mobile electronic sign that I ever saw outside concerts. It read "Warning ! Work ahead - 1 lane only. Currently : 20 km jam, 4 hours delay!Alternative: take next exit and follow signs. 15 min delay". So I left the overcrowded highway and followed the signs. To my utter amazement,I was totally alone. I saw no car in front of me or in my mirror for about 15 minutes. Talk about ignoring your personal information to follow the herd .

Herd behaviour is exacerbated in stress and disaster situations. I had emergency training with firemen for my work and one of the first thing they taught was that, if you are ever caught in a disaster, ignore the crowd, stop 30 seconds to observe and think by yourself. They had numerous examples of crowds passing right in front of emergency exits and ignoring them, or worse, running towards the danger...

• Informative
Likes collinsmark and fresh_42
  • #5,941
I just see on TV a documentary about LNG from the US. They said that people don't want to see burning flames, so they release the methane directly into the air. :DD:woot::DD

• Sad
Likes OmCheeto, Klystron and BillTre
  • #5,942
fresh_42 said:
I just see on TV a documentary about LNG from the US. They said that people don't want to see burning flames, so they release the methane directly into the air. :DD:woot::DD
Hey, don't be making fun of my farts !

• Haha
Likes bhobba and BillTre
  • #5,943
phinds said:
Hey, don't be making fun of my farts !
Well, I am not allowed to comment on what I really think here. It is allowed to call German politics poor, but it is not allowed to say the same thing about American politics, sorry.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto and bhobba
  • #5,944
fresh_42 said:
I don't understand. There's a fire so they release methane?

• #5,945
fresh_42 said:
Well, I am not allowed to comment on what I really think here. It is allowed to call German politics poor, but it is not allowed to say the same thing about American politics, sorry.
But aren't you also forbidden to say that you're not allowed to say what you believe? I suppose we shall see, eh?

• #5,947
fresh_42 said:
They release the byproduct of methane of LNG pumps into the air. A flame would provoke questions, but methane is invisible so there is no need to draw any attention.
Aha. Well then today I too have learned something.

• #5,948
Hornbein said:
But aren't you also forbidden to say that you're not allowed to say what you believe? I suppose we shall see, eh?
<self censored>
Quod licet iovi (Americans) non licet bovi (non Americans).

Last edited:
  • #5,949
fresh_42 said:
They release the byproduct of methane of LNG pumps into the air. A flame would provoke questions, but methane is invisible so there is no need to draw any attention.
As Billy Crystal was wont to say, "it is better to look good than to feel good, don't you agree?"

• #5,950
Hornbein said:
As Billy Crystal was wont to say, "it is better to look good than to feel good, don't you agree?"
I like a quotation from an American novelist. I have forgotten his name, but he said: "We are the first generation that won't save itself because it's not profitable."

Likes OmCheeto