Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #6,021
Ibix said:
Calcium carbide reacts with water to produce acetylene, which burns, yes.

What happened to the cat who ate calcium carbide? She had a set o' lean kittens. (According to my dad, who had such lamps on his bicycle as a boy.)
Time taken to figure out what you said took a few seconds. Then I had to reread a certain part.

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,022
Today I learned that dental floss expires.

While packing for a road trip starting tomorrow, I grabbed a small unused floss dispenser from a kit that my dentist gave me after a routine cleaning a year or two ago, and noticed that it's stamped "EXP2025-07-30".

Maybe the mint flavoring goes stale?

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #6,023
jtbell said:
... Maybe the mint flavoring goes stale?
Or they just want to sell more of them.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,024
jtbell said:

It dies of boredom. Use it or lose it.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #6,025
jtbell said:

While packing for a road trip starting tomorrow, I grabbed a small unused floss dispenser from a kit that my dentist gave me after a routine cleaning a year or two ago, and noticed that it's stamped "EXP2025-07-30".

Maybe the mint flavoring goes stale?
My guess is that the labeled expiration date is listed only for regulatory requirements. If the floss works, then it is not really expired. If it shreds or breaks too quickly, then it could be "expired".

Likes jtbell
  • #6,026
And it is "best before" and not "suddenly fatal on".

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #6,027
Raisin' it up, waxin' it down...

Likes Borg
  • #6,028
They sell Himalaya salt and advertise it as millions of years old. The fine print says best before 2025. Good that they found it in time!

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, BillTre, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #6,029
fresh_42 said:
And it is "best before" and not "suddenly fatal on".
And here I was expecting spontaneous self-combustion …

I once bought a shampoo bottle that was reduced by 30% in price because its best before date was coming up …

Likes Ibix and symbolipoint
  • #6,030
Orodruin said:
I once bought a shampoo bottle that was reduced by 30% in price because its best before date was coming up …
I once bought a shampoo bottle that contained 500ML of shampoo. I can only assume that 1L=1nl.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #6,033
symbolipoint said:
Interesting article and maybe scary. One thing bothering me about the article is, the direction to "sign-in" to find which dental flosses have that stuff.
The PFAS chemistry could be tightly bound to the fibre so when we put it in the bin, we are good to go.
I will check and feed back. There is a PFAS thread already so it will be brief.

• #6,034
Ibix said:
500ML of shampoo
Normal people and units *sigh*

Likes collinsmark and Ibix
  • #6,035
Another reason that a pint of beer is the perfect size.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #6,036
Orodruin said:
Normal people and units *sigh*
The other one I remember reading about was an energy company advert claiming to sell energy in kilowatts per hour, which is just poor.
Frabjous said:
Another reason that a pint of beer is the perfect size.
"Half a litre just don't satisfy."

Likes collinsmark
  • #6,037
Ibix said:
"Half a litre just don't satisfy."
I'd rather tried to find out whether they can be sued to deliver ##500\,ML## at that prize!

• Love
Likes collinsmark and Tom.G
  • #6,038
Today I learned that Gus Grissom may not have been responsible for the loss of his Mercury capsule, something strongly implied in Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Grissom

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
  • #6,039
Ibix said:
The other one I remember reading about was an energy company advert claiming to sell energy in kilowatts per hour, which is just poor.

Hmm. That would be units of "rate of change of power." (Power, already being a rate unit, specifically "rate of change of energy.")

Also, torque shares the same fundamental units (i.e. dimensions) as energy, so it could also be used as units of rate of change of rate of change of torque (although calling such units "killowatts per hour" would be just weird).

I'm trying to wrap my head around that and think of some situation where those units might be useful.

• #6,040

Likes Hornbein and pinball1970
  • #6,041

Likes Hornbein and Borg
  • #6,042

• #6,043
Its one of the Time Bandit portals!

• #6,044
BillTre said:

I've seen things like this before. They use it to get on and off of flatbed trucks.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,045
Post #6044 by @Hornbein
That is absolutely crazy but it has its own complicated logic.

That video reminds me of reading about the origin of the athletics Pole Vault, for which reaching a height was not the goal but reaching horizontal distance, like to get across a stream or a ditch, was the goal.

• #6,046
symbolipoint said:
Post #6044 by @Hornbein
That is absolutely crazy but it has its own complicated logic.

That video reminds me of reading about the origin of the athletics Pole Vault, for which reaching a height was not the goal but reaching horizontal distance, like to get across a stream or a ditch, was the goal.
That is an amazing video to watch. It wouldn't have worked if the water channel was slightly wider or the axles of the excavator were slightly closer together.

• #6,047
Hornbein said:
I've seen things like this before. They use it to get on and off of flatbed trucks.
Maybe the truck's ramps aren't strong enough.

• #6,049
Likes Astranut and collinsmark
  • #6,050
pinball1970 said:
T.I.L. LUX-ZEPLIN (LZ) looking for Dark matter.

Results (280 days worth of data) presented in conferences this month.

https://phys.org/news/2024-08-dark.html
I bet the name came from the lead shielding.

• #6,051
TIL about this fun little video Mark Knopfler made about the Coyote from the Road Runner cartoons:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, DaveE and Ibix
  • #6,052
BillTre said:
TIL about this fun little video Mark Knopfler made about the Coyote from the Road Runner cartoons:

4:48, the dawning realisation on his face and then his claw just feeling around... I always feel so sorry for the coyote, but I can't stop laughing.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,053
Likes Astranut, collinsmark and Ibix
  • #6,054
T.I.L. A little bit about BepiColumbo, https://www.esa.int/Science_Explora...est_images_yet_highlight_fourth_Mercury_flyby

One of the Mercury flyby images.

1725621316519.png

Likes Astranut, collinsmark and WernerQH
Back