Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, OJ is jam-packed full of sugar.

I'd eat bugs if everyone else did, but they don't and but no one sells them.

Try some cricket nutrition bars:
http://chapul.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Try some cricket nutrition bars:
http://chapul.com/
Wow, those charts make cricket protein the clear winner.

Still, those bars are expensive. $3.00 for a 1.9 oz candy bar? I'll pass.

zoobyshoe said:
Wow, those charts make cricket protein the clear winner.

Still, those bars are expensive. $3.00 for a 1.9 oz candy bar? I'll pass.
I don't mean to be alarmist, but given population growth, we may have no other viable long-term source of protein. We may be passing the costs out somewhere in the system when we pay $4-5 for a burger or even $10+ for a steak.

WWGD said:
I don't mean to be alarmist, but given population growth, we may have no other viable long-term source of protein. We may be passing the costs out somewhere in the system when we pay $4-5 for a burger or even $10+ for a steak.

I think there was a movie about an alternative source.

nsaspook said:
Yes, but Soylent Green is people!

nsaspook said:
Sorry if I ruined your setup by giving away the punchline.

WWGD said:
Sorry if I ruined your setup by giving away the punchline.
No, that was it.
soylent_green_demotivator_by_ravengerx.jpg

WWGD said:
I don't think the cricket flour is what makes those candy bars expensive. It's the other gourmet ingredients plus the fact they probably haven't achieved the cheapest possible mass production methods.

At this point, I'm curious to know what those who farm the crickets feed the crickets, and could it be replaced with something even cheaper?
Captive crickets are omnivorous: when deprived of their natural diet, they will accept a wide range of different organic foodstuffs. Some species are completely herbivorous, feeding on flowers, fruit and leaves, with ground-based species consuming seedlings, grasses, pieces of leaf and the shoots of young plants. Others are more predatory and include in their diet invertebrate eggs, larvae, pupae, moulting insects, scale insects and aphids.[12] Many are scavengers and consume various organic remains, decaying plants, seedlings and fungi.[13] In captivity, many species have been successfully reared on a diet of ground up, commercial dry dog food, supplemented with lettuce and aphids.[12]
As for Soylent Green, it might work as an alternative protein source were it introduced into the system indirectly as cricket feed:
Crickets have relatively powerful jaws, and several species have been known to bite humans.

Today I learned that in 2013 it was estimated that 31 million people in the world had Asperger's.

zoobyshoe said:
At this point, I'm curious to know what those who farm the crickets feed the crickets...

I just learned that 40,000 crickets can eat a head of lettuce in less than an hour.
But this brings up a question: Will the FDA, in the future, regulate how many lettuce bits are in our cricket burgers? :biggrin:

Today i learned to wait for more information before i speak.

Today I learned that banana peels are good for you.

Things with mass traves at different speed. Trains travel for example, 100Kmh, cars at 40kmh, air planes at 1000kmh. But, do things without mass ALWAYS always travel at "this" universal speed limit?
Yes
Today I learned that the massless photon is not heavy it is light. Is that why photon always travels at the speed of light?

Stephanus said:
Today I learned that the massless photon is not heavy it is light. Is that why photon always travels at the speed of light?
Do they?

Enigman said:
I don't know. I just read somewhere if the photon does not have mass but they have momentum.
If the mass weren't zero, the speed of light would not be constant; but from a theoretical point of view we would then take c to be the upper limit of the speed of light in vacuum so that we can continue to ask whether c is constant.
If the speed of light is the speed of photon(because we see light by photon entering our retina) then speed of light is not c. Altough c itself is constant. So photon can't never travel at c if it has mass, because then ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}}## would be infinite, no matter how small the mass is. I don't know, I'm not an expert at particle physics much less SR. Do anybody know, supposed if photon has mass, how much is it compared to neutrino?
But thanks for the link anyway. I like SR

Okay, so here goes...
Photon is a particle representing a quantum of light. Photons don't have mass. What they do have is momentum and energy.
c is constant and the highest speed achievable. Photons travel at c in vacuum. In other mediums like air, water, glass, etc. the speed is slower than c.
Neutrino DO have mass but it is tiny, with a magnitude of somewhere between the order of 10 -36 and 10 -39 kg

Enigman said:
Okay, so here goes...
Photon is a particle representing a quantum of light. Photons don't have mass. What they do have is momentum and energy.
c is constant and the highest speed achievable. Photons travel at c in vacuum. In other mediums like air, water, glass, etc. the speed is slower than c.
Neutrino DO have mass but it is tiny, with a magnitude of somewhere between the order of 10 -36 and 10 -39 kg
Oh, and I just remember the formula for momentum is ##momentum = mv## if I'm not mistaken. If m is zero, than mv is zero?? Hmmh..., okay, I'll let that pass. Strange thing here isn't it.

But photon ALWAYS travels at the speed of light doesn't it :smile: Because we measure the speed of light (not c, as I just understand) by the speed of protons entering our sensor (retina, radar, etc)

That is the classical formula. Relativity gives ##p=\gamma . mv## or ##p=E/c##
The first is invalid for light as lorentz factor is no defined for light. E=hv for light, so
##p=h/\lambda## is the momentum for light.
(##\lambda## is wavelength, h is Planck's constant and p is momentum)

Enigman said:
That is the classical formula. Relativity gives ##p=\gamma . mv## or ##p=E/c##
The first is invalid for light as lorentz factor is no defined for light. E=hv for light, so
##p=h/\lambda## is the momentum for light.
(##\lambda## is wavelength, h is Planck's constant and p is momentum)
Planck?? Is it something like quantum thing? Okay, okay I think we should stop here, before we get banned by admin for discussing specific detail about something in this thread.
Today I learned that I have to learn what I think I have learned.

Stephanus said:
But photon ALWAYS travels at the speed of light doesn't it :smile: Because we measure the speed of light (not c, as I just understand) by the speed of protons entering our sensor (retina, radar, etc)
No.
Measuring of light is much more complicated. You should go through the topic on wiki and/or make a few threads in general physics / special relativity forums to clear your doubts.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Stephanus
Today I learned about ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy).
My long long ever asked question is why people become "crazy" - mentally ill if they were born perfectly physically and mentally healthy...Can we make someone "crazy" ? I am worried someone will turn me crazy one day and I need to know the cure right now. True!

Silicon Waffle said:
I am worried someone will turn me crazy one day
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not so bad once you get used to it.

Likes CalcNerd and Silicon Waffle
Drive someone crazy ?
Drivingdistance.jpg

Heck, with me it's just a putt.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I thought the largest airplane ever built was the Spruce Goose, but today I learned it was a Russian cargo plane:

The Antonov An-225 Mriya (Ukrainian: Антонов Ан-225 Мрія, Russian: Антонов Ан-225 Мрия, Dream, NATOreporting name: "Cossack") is a strategic airlift cargo aircraft that was designed by the Soviet Union's Antonov Design Bureau in the 1980s. The An-225's name, Mriya (Мрiя) means "Dream" (Inspiration) in Ukrainian. It is powered by six turbofan engines and is the longest and heaviest airplane ever built, with a maximum takeoff weightof 640 tonnes. It also has the largest wingspan of any aircraft in operational service. The single example built has the Ukrainian civil registration UR-82060. A second airframe was partially built; its completion was halted because of lack of funding and interest.

zoobyshoe said:
I thought the largest airplane ever built was the Spruce Goose, but today I learned it was a Russian cargo plane:
Yep, it's the one that Yuri and John Cussack and Armanda Peet ride in 2012.

zoobyshoe said:

I just passed the Spruce Goose on Sunday. It was the first time I'd ever seen it. I didn't stop, but saw it from the highway. I would have stopped, but traffic had been bad all day, which made me a bit cranky, and I wanted to get home asap.

2015.07.12.Spruce.Goose.jpg

file footage​
45°12'12.59" N
123°08'46.25" W
elev 159 ft

hmmm... I just learned that it still holds a couple of records:

The Hercules is the largest flying boat ever built and has the largest wingspan of any aircraft in history. [per wiki]

Today I learned there's a "Singularity University".

Surely its name is blown up out of all proportion? :smile:

Today I learned that in 2010 the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital was renamed the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine.

New Scientist commented that presumably removing "homeopathic" from the title made it more potent...

OmCheeto said:
The Hercules is the largest flying boat ever built and has the largest wingspan of any aircraft in history. [per wiki]
Today I learned the actual name of the Spruce Goose was the H-4 Hercules. I didn't know that.

Likes OmCheeto
Today I learned Apollo 13 carried 4 kg of Plutonium-238 (supposed to stay on Moon), and the container survived atmospheric re-entry.
I also learned that New Horizons probably won't crash into a car today.

DrGreg said:
Today I learned there's a "Singularity University".

Surely its name is blown up out of all proportion? :smile:
Let's hope the students are not too dense.

mfb said:

Let's hope the students are not too dense.
Or naked.

OmCheeto said:
I just passed the Spruce Goose on Sunday.
I passed the same place a couple of weeks ago, and the coast-bound traffic was congested.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
Orphaned bear cub rescued after climbing aboard Tennessee raft
http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/orphaned-bear-cub-rescued-after-climbing-aboard-tennessee-raft/

Sometimes one has to do the wrong thing to do the right thing.

Outdoor and river guide Danny “Shaggy” Allen faces fines for removing wildlife, when he rescued a distressed bear cub. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency was called, and the cub delivered to the rescue facility.

High Mountain Guides spokesman Mark Russ, and USA Raft owner Matt Moses said they’ll gladly accept any fines. They explained that it was apparent, that after three days, the cub and its mother had become separated.

Likes Silicon Waffle