Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
Dishsoap said:
Today I learned that if you forget to add salt to your cookies, they won't rise!
I think you may be misapportioning blame here. NaCl plays, at best, a minor part in the rising.

Apart from flour and flavourings, what other ingredients does your recipe call for? http://www.imageshack.com/a/img109/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TIL about the X in Xmas, it stems from Χριστός (no idea how to pronounce this word) which means Christ.:nb)

"Ch-r-i-s-t-o-s."

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today I learned that part of the pressure on politicians to end Prohibition came from people who argued that opening breweries would create jobs and help counterbalance the economic depression.

TIL a new English phase "escape one's ancient root", that sounds a little strange to me as I have never used it myself before :nb) (I have only one root to grow from, a directed tree.)

Silicon Waffle said:
TIL a new English phase "escape one's ancient root", that sounds a little strange to me as I have never used it myself before :nb) (I have only one root to grow from, a directed tree.)
I'm familiar with the phrase "escape one's roots", which has the double implication of wanting to escape from one's original background but at the same time suggesting that this might be as difficult as a plant trying to move away from its roots. I've not heard a variant with "ancient root" instead of "roots".

Likes Silicon Waffle
Wow.
------------

Today I learned:
In 2012, on the 35th anniversary of the Wow! signal, Arecibo Observatory beamed a response from humanity, containing 10,000 Twitter messages, in the direction from which the signal originated.

Yeah, it was a "Wow" ! ... :oldwink:

Wow_signal.jpg

Arecibo scientists have attempted to increase the chances of intelligent life receiving and decoding the celebrity videos and crowd-sourced tweets by attaching a repeating sequence header to each message that will let the recipient know that the messages are intentional and from another intelligent life form.

Well dang... that screwed that, then... :oldeyes:

Last edited:
OCR said:
Well ****... that screwed that, then... :oldeyes:
As Sagan highlighted, our TV signals have been going out for decades. So, there wasn't much intergalactic reputation left to salvage.

Likes Sophia
zoobyshoe said:
As Sagan highlighted, our TV signals have been going out for decades. So, there wasn't much intergalactic reputation left to salvage.

Wasn't it cool how the extra-terrestrials just happened to catch the first TV signals from the Berlin games and respond so promptly?

I really like the movie Contact.

Likes mfb
Today I learned that every natural number (positive integer) [itex] r [/itex] is the inradius of a right triangle whose sides are:
[itex] a = 2r + 1 [/itex]
[itex] b = 2r^2 + 2r [/itex]
[itex] c = 2r^2 + 2r + 1 [/itex]

And since [itex] r [/itex] is a natural number (positive integer), [itex] a [/itex], [itex] b [/itex] and [itex] c [/itex] are also natural numbers (positive integers). And since [itex] b [/itex] and [itex] c [/itex] differ by only 1, the triangle represents a primitive Pythagorean triple.

In other words, every natural number is associated with a primitive Pythagorean triple (and might be the inradius of many Pythagorean triples, but there will always be at least one, and that one will be primitive).

[Edit: and by extension, that implies that there are infinitely many primitive Pythagorean triples.]

Last edited:
Likes Jonathan Scott, Ibix and mfb
collinsmark said:
Today I learned that every natural number (positive integer) [itex] r [/itex] is the inradius of a right triangle whose sides are:
[itex] a = 2r + 1 [/itex]
[itex] b = 2r^2 + 2r [/itex]
[itex] c = 2r^2 + 2r + 1 [/itex]

And since [itex] r [/itex] is a natural number (positive integer), [itex] a [/itex], [itex] b [/itex] and [itex] c [/itex] are also natural numbers (positive integers). And since [itex] b [/itex] and [itex] c [/itex] differ by only 1, the triangle represents a primitive Pythagorean triple.

In other words, every natural number is associated with a primitive Pythagorean triple (and might be the inradius of many Pythagorean triples, but there will always be at least one, and that one will be primitive).

[Edit: and by extension, that implies that there are infinitely many primitive Pythagorean triples.]

I have read that this was known in ancient Babylonia. There is a list of Pythagorean triples on a clay tablet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plimpton_322

Silicon Waffle said:
Me: TIL a very classic moral lesson in life about one's selfishness which is the cause for a lot of troubles. I think troubles are naturally implemented as an endless linked list data structure, the head of the first element points to nothing but its tail point to the next element's head, on and on with next and next elements. The last one's tail is pointing to Null,Zero or Nothing.
And yet, many people spend their lives chasing their own tail. :oldwink:

Some days I learn just a few things. Some days I learn a thousand things.
Today was one of those "thousand things" days.
To keep it short, I'll only share what I consider "strangest":

The Earth's atmosphere has permanent, thin layers of iron and sodium, about 60 miles above the surface.
Kind of like Earth encompassing, gaseous metallic Dyson spheres.

Random brief description: METALLIC VAPOR LAYERS [albany.edu]

I have no idea how it works.

I learned this, at the end of an endless stream of searches, trying to find out why the lightsaber battles on Mauna Kea, were yellow.

Likes Sophia and zoobyshoe
Well, there is a layer where a few metal atoms exist. The main components of the atmosphere are still the same everywhere.

mfb said:
Well, there is a layer where a few metal atoms exist. The main components of the atmosphere are still the same everywhere.
Those metal atoms sure put off a significant yellow glow, for being just a few.

sodium layer.png

per wiki; "The density varies with season; the average column density is roughly 4 billion sodium atoms/cm3."

for comparison
...gas on Earth
typical atmosphere = 2.7 x 1019/cm3
best "vacuum" achieved in lab on Earth = 104/cm3
[ref uoregon.edu]

1019/cm3 left at 60 km. That gives a fraction of 0.00000004% or 0.4 ppb sodium. That is below the man-made concentration of chlorofluorocarbon, for example (source), but this CFC concentration is maintained even at lower altitudes with a much higher atmospheric pressure.

i looked but didn't find how much sodium in solar wind.

In 2000 someone made a synthetic geodynamo out of a cylinder of rotating liquid sodium.

OmCheeto said:
I learned this, at the end of an endless stream of searches, trying to find out why the lightsaber battles on Mauna Kea, were yellow.
I understand that they don't look that cool in reality, sadly (that's probably a very long exposure shot). But the sodium D-line (589.3nm) is fairly near the middle of the optical spectrum, which is convenient, and is nice and monochrome so it's easy to filter the guide star out of your astronomical images.

jim hardy said:
i looked but didn't find how much sodium in solar wind.
It comes from meteorites.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/metcomp/nak.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_layer

I just find it strange that sodium and iron would form stable layers so high up in the atmosphere.
I've seen helium, hydrogen, and hot air balloons go up, but never sodium nor iron filled balloons.
Though, there is a "Led Zeppelin", so I guess it's not completely out of the question. :biggrin:

Ibix said:
I understand that they don't look that cool in reality, sadly (that's probably a very long exposure shot). But the sodium D-line (589.3nm) is fairly near the middle of the optical spectrum, which is convenient, and is nice and monochrome so it's easy to filter the guide star out of your astronomical images.
Re-watching the time-lapse of the telescopes and lasers, I'm inclined now to agree, that they are probably very dim.

I really enjoyed reading about why they used the lasers.
Some REALLY interesting facts and figures:
$4 Million Laser Marks Ground Zero for Adaptive Optics Science
The adaptive optics system uses this artificial laser guide star to measure the aberrations introduced by turbulence in the earth’s atmosphere. A six-inch diameter deformable mirror with 349 actuators is then used to correct for these aberrations at a rate of 1,000 times per second, effectively taking the twinkle out of the stars and providing near-perfect detail for planets, stars and galaxies. Combined with the 10-meter diameter primary mirror, Keck Observatory can offer images with five times the resolution of even the Hubble Space Telescope.​

Likes zoobyshoe
Today I learned that the bigwigs of the early Nazi party invested a million or so marks into the work of an alchemist named Franz Tausend. Tausand was an expert fraud who could produce gold even under stringent supervision.

http://www.kfvr.de/_Media/franz_tausend_med.jpeg
Franz Tausend

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Sophia and Ibix
Hornbein said:
Today I learned that the bigwigs of the early Nazi party invested a million or so marks into the work of an alchemist named Franz Tausend. Tausand was an expert fraud who could produce gold even under stringent supervision.
He died in jail. However ##^{197}Hg## decays to gold :cool:

fresh_42 said:
He died in jail. However ##^{197}Hg## decays to gold :cool:

He went on the lam to Italy. He was captured, returned to Munich, served four years for the alchemy gig, got out of prison, passed bad checks, and eventually was sent back to jail.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Hornbein said:
He served four years for the alchemy gig, got out of prison, passed bad checks, and eventually was sent back to jail.
I can't believe it. They made a movie about his life.

The Nazis were quite interested in the occult, symbolism and ancient philosophies.
And then during the cold war, there were experiments in paranormal phenomena on both sides.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today I learned that explorer Alexander Humboldt -- Humboldt county is named after him -- cut open his back and inserted wires into the slots. He had discovered the battery, but much to his later regret didn't realize it.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Hornbein said:
Today I learned that explorer Alexander Humboldt -- Humboldt county is named after him -- cut open his back and inserted wires into the slots. He had discovered the battery, but much to his later regret didn't realize it.
Sounds like the earliest documented case of reefer madness. Now I know how Humboldt State got its name!

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today I learned that you can be sacked from work (part-time without contract) without boss even telling you. Other people will want to say good-bye to you because you won't come next week. oooohhhh Didn't boss tell you? :DDDDDD

Sophia said:
Today I learned that you can be sacked from work (part-time without contract) without boss even telling you. Other people will want to say good-bye to you because you won't come next week. oooohhhh Didn't boss tell you? :DDDDDD
I think either part-time or full time or freelance job in a company does need a contract at least in my area. It can be suspended based on the contract agreement specified from the start. So for a full time contract, a laborer in my area can also cancel it himself with some notification sent to HR department 4-8 weeks before he can leave the company officially.

Silicon Waffle said:
I think either part-time or full time or freelance job in a company does need a contract at least in my area. It can be suspended based on the contract agreement specified from the start. So for a full time contract, a laborer in my area can also cancel it himself with some notification sent to HR department 4-8 weeks before he can leave the company officially.

I was trying to tell that I got sacked today and my boss didn't even tell me. Other teachers at the kindergarten told me that we will not see each other again because the manager fired me :) New teacher will come next week. :)
The reason is that I wasn't able to manage discipline and kids were running wild. I don't deny it, of course it is true. But the manager could at least have the decency to tell me about that.

Sorry to hear that...

Likes fresh_42 and Sophia
Sophia said:
I was trying to tell that I got sacked today and my boss didn't even tell me. Other teachers at the kindergarten told me that we will not see each other again because the manager fired me :) New teacher will come next week. :)
The reason is that I wasn't able to manage discipline and kids were running wild. I don't deny it, of course it is true. But the manager could at least have the decency to tell me about that.
Oh, I am really sorry about that. I totally misunderstood your post. I would probably contact or directly meet the manager to ask for some clarification if I were you.

Likes Sophia