Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #1,366
Today I learned how to tie my shoes properly! :smile:

Likes Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,368
Or this way?
gordian-knot-300x200.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Stephanus
  • #1,369
mfb said:
4.5 millions views?? And the photosynthesis lesson is only 22k views.

• #1,370
Today on my trip to the Hoover Dam I learned that it took only 5 years to build the dam and power plant! I am sure an equivalent could not be built as fast 'today' with so many safety regulations and environmental protection jazz...
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1465778640.033070.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/101983

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1465778654.734429.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1465778654.734429.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 582
Likes Pepper Mint
  • #1,371
Stephanus said:
4.5 millions views?? And the photosynthesis lesson is only 22k views.
People always prefer applied math to pure math. :biggrin:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Hoophy
  • #1,372
Hoophy said:
Today on my trip to the Hoover Dam I learned that it took only 5 years to build the dam and power plant! I am sure an equivalent could not be built as fast 'today' with so many safety regulations and environmental protection jazz...
View attachment 101981
View attachment 101982
That's why there's a quote "... do something like Hoover Dam" I don't know the exact words.
And the chief engineer, wait googling... Sorry can't find him :smile:. But I watched how Hoover Dam built in Nat Geo. And building the dam took many casualties. But it's done. The dam was finished anyway. And we can compare the chief engineer (which I can't find the name) to Leslie Groove (Manhattan Project, Pentagon).

Likes Pepper Mint and Hoophy
  • #1,373
Stephanus said:
That's why there's a quote "... do something like Hoover Dam" I don't know the exact words.
And the chief engineer, wait googling... Sorry can't find him :smile:. But I watched how Hoover Dam built in Nat Geo. And building the dam took many casualties. But it's done. The dam was finished anyway. And we can compare the chief engineer (which I can't find the name) to Leslie Groove (Manhattan Project, Pentagon).
"Even before Congress approved the Boulder Canyon Project, the Bureau of Reclamation was considering what kind of dam should be used. Officials eventually decided on a massive concrete arch-gravity dam, the design of which was overseen by the Bureau's chief design engineer John L. Savage." (Wikipedia)

Likes Hoophy and Stephanus
  • #1,374
fresh_42 said:
"Even before Congress approved the Boulder Canyon Project, the Bureau of Reclamation was considering what kind of dam should be used. Officials eventually decided on a massive concrete arch-gravity dam, the design of which was overseen by the Bureau's chief design engineer John L. Savage." (Wikipedia)
Ah, him. Yes. He was a very tough person, from what I watched in Nat Geo. Many casualties, but nothing couldn't stop him.

• #1,376
Today I learned that Verizon has no publicly available telephone number.

Likes CalcNerd
  • #1,377
Stephanus said:
Ah, him. Yes. He was a very tough person, from what I watched in Nat Geo. Many casualties, but nothing couldn't stop him.
Good thing it wasn't Adam Savage :wink:

• #1,380
mfb said:
Isn't that cool? I do that for my normal shoes, but I also wear shoes with really long strings, which forced me to tie them up military style. The way I tie them now makes the laces look like a big flower :partytime:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIL Gabriele Cirulli made 2048 in only one weekend.

• #1,382
You don't need climate models to verify GW. It is completely sufficient to interview Inuits or Micronesians.

• #1,383
jim hardy said:
Barnard thinks he's competent to criticize this guy ?
I don't want to watch 30 minutes of video now, but the video title doesn't match the description in the article.
fresh_42 said:
You don't need climate models to verify GW. It is completely sufficient to interview Inuits or Micronesians.
Global warming is one fact, the evidence that humans are causing it is another, and the Inuits and Micronesians can't help you with the second point.

Likes mheslep and jim hardy
  • #1,384
mfb said:
Global warming is one fact, the evidence that humans are causing it is another, and the Inuits and Micronesians can't help you with the second point.
Agreed. But I regard this as an academic question. Who is to blame is never a good basis for solutions. The question to be posed is: Can a change in human habit change the consequences of climate change?

I once replied to the question whether we are to blame or not with the conservation law of energy: "I don't care. True is, that we continuously intensified our rate of transforming bounded (fossil and later nuclear) energy into atmospheric heat for nearly 200 years now. This energy did not all vanished miraculously into space without any interaction with the layer in between."

• #1,385
fresh_42 said:
"I don't care. True is, that we continuously intensified our rate of transforming bounded (fossil and later nuclear) energy into atmospheric heat for nearly 200 years now. This energy did not all vanished miraculously into space without any interaction with the layer in between."
The heat released by the combustion has a negligible effect, something like a few mK, compared to 1 K from the greenhouse gases.

Likes EnumaElish
  • #1,386
mfb said:
I don't want to watch 30 minutes of video now, but the video title doesn't match the description in the article.

understood.

The content of the article cited can be summarized as "Global Warming skeptics have low IQ, are stupid and probably racist. "

Which sentiment has no place in civil discourse.

I was mad at the moment but am over it now.

btw that video is the 86 year old referred to inn last paragraph of the quora article cited in post 1578. oops 1378
thanks OCR

Last edited:
Likes OCR
  • #1,387
Hornbein said:
I thought that as well, but the data in that article don't exactly support it. ...
That kind of misconception is iconic among Democrats; the insulararity going back to the famous film crictic Pauline Kaen's comment, "I only know one person who voted for Nixon" in 1972 (Nixon won by more than 17 million votes.) The interesting question is why the myopia continues, to be answered in a future Today I Learned.

Last edited:
Likes OCR
  • #1,388
jim hardy said:
I was mad at the moment ...
Lol, and I'm still mad, because I actually read part of that article, thereby, proving the fact... I have a really low IQ.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy:
jim hardy said:
Which sentiment has no place in civil discourse.
And irrespective of the issue, I'm a dumb-ass; I completely agree with you ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:ok:BTW Jim, even though I can barely comprehend, I think the Quora article cited was from post number 1378 ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldconfused:

Last edited:
  • #1,389
Hoophy said:
And for those interested, the 103 story Empire State Building was built in 11 months, more than two stories per week including the foundation time. Similarly, the 200+ ft Anderson Bridge across the Charles River in Boston also required 11 months in 1912. The bridge is being rebuilt currently, and the problematic construction has become iconic:

Rehabilitation of the 232-foot bridge began in 2012, at an estimated cost of about $20 million; four years later, there is no end date in sight and the cost of the project is mushrooming, to $26.5 million at last count.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...idge-fiasco/uKS6xQZxFBF0fZd2EuT06K/story.html

Likes Hoophy
  • #1,390
OCR said:
BTW Jim, even though I can barely comprehend, I think the Quora article cited was from post number 1378 ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldconfused:
you're right
i could blame it on my bifocals but it's more likely my right wing superstitious prejudice against number 13.

Likes Hoophy, mheslep and OCR
  • #1,391
jim hardy said:
... i could blame it on my bifocals but it's more likely my right wing superstitious prejudice against number 13.
Lol...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:check:

Last edited:
  • #1,392
ProfuselyQuarky said:
TIL Gabriele Cirulli made 2048 in only one weekend.
Wow, that was fast.

• #1,393
Today I learned that the notorious Love Canal was originally a 1892 utopian real estate development by a William T. Love. He wanted to build an alternative route around Niagara Falls and generate electrical power.

• #1,394
TIL that even a first-page-entry-on-a-standard-google-search can lead you to illegal content.
And I swear I didn't enter a single <--peep--> word.

• #1,395
fresh_42 said:
TIL that even a first-page-entry-on-a-standard-google-search can lead you to illegal content.
Years ago, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth with their Windows NT boxes and electronic submission of documents was new, I typed "MPEG in LaTeX" into Google. The results did not help me to embed a video file in the pdf of my colleague's PhD thesis, but did prove educational on the subject of rubber fetishes.

Likes collinsmark, Sophia and fresh_42
  • #1,396
fresh_42 said:
I was in a presentation where a manager was demonstrating software to a customer. He moused over a link that was poorly coded but never did click on it during the presentation. We later found out that it would have performed a google search for XXX. That would have been really embarassing. :wideeyed:

• #1,397
Borg said:
I was in a presentation where a manager was demonstrating software to a customer. He moused over a link that was poorly coded but never did click on it during the presentation. We later found out that it would have performed a google search for XXX. That would have been really embarassing. :wideeyed:
I can imagine this. I once forgot to change my background image. It was an old painting, so it wasn't really offensive but embarrassing enough.
But my experience today was a search on scientific content. They don't really distinguish between provided openly and stolen. And the domain or site name is only of little help either.

• #1,398
jim hardy said:
Barnard thinks he's competent to criticize this guy ?

now That's Dunning-Kruger

If he knows what he's talking about, let him publish. His specialty is solid state physics, not climate science. He says he never even looked at the subject of climate change until 2008!. In fact he shared his Nobel Prize with Josephson, who has been involved in a free energy scheme and was actually banned from this site [or perhaps just asked to leave...].

Beware of old physicists; especially those who are talking about subjects that are not their specialty. Even I could rip apart a few of his statements. For example, why are we now measuring ocean temps? Seriously?? How about, because 2/3 of the planet surface is water?

I also like how he pointed to the number of land-based thermometers as a problem and then went right to satellite measurements as evidence to support another claim. You don't suppose we can use satellites to measure temps where we don't have thermometers?

Google "Greenland Ice" and you will see his other statements about the temps of Greenland harbors are just silly. Hey, you don't suppose that dumping cubic miles of ice into the water might make it cooler, do you? Just a thought... since we all seem to be shooting from the hip.

Last edited:
  • #1,399
TIL: I can't take the traffic circle doing 25 mph while riding my bike...

Likes Hoophy and EnumaElish
  • #1,400
Ivan Seeking said:
Hey, you don't suppose that dumping cubic miles of ice into the water might make it cooler, do you? Just a thought... since we all seem to be shooting from the hip.

i guess this is the slide you refer to ?

greenland1.jpg
Assuming it runs in as recently melted fresh water,
Looks to me like it might actually on average years warm it by ~0.8C.
upload_2016-6-16_21-9-59.png
I'd prefer to learn more about the ocean up there , though
greenland2.jpg

"Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time," says Lora Koenig, a Goddard glaciologist and a member of the research team analyzing the satellite data. "But if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome." www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/greenland-melt.html

My complaint with Barnard was his high handed insult to Giaever.

Barnard's degree is English Literature not climatology or physics or psychology
and he actually brags on his closed mindedness
https://www.quora.com/profile/Michael-Barnard-14/answers/Climate-Change
greenland3.jpg

the arrogant twerp made me mad, that's all.

I didn't care for the hyperbolic title of that Youtube ,
but the kindly Norwegian professor doesn't deserve Barnard's "Short Shrift" .

old jim

Last edited:
Likes mheslep, Hoophy and Pepper Mint
Back