Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #1,541
jtbell said:
When I was in high school many years ago, my chemistry teacher once posed this question on a test:

If a mole could dig a mole of holes in a day, how many holes could a mole of moles dig in a mole of days?
Wow, around 216 * 1069?

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,542

Likes Sophia, 1oldman2, jtbell and 3 others
  • #1,543
Stephanus said:
Wow, around 216 * 1069?
Are "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"'s spread either by default or by design ? I guess it is the latter that is to hook up something systematically. :biggrin:

• #1,544
NascentOxygen said:
Recipes calling for molasses require caution. You may not be aware that "molasses" means different things in different countries.
Never knew the caution.
So that is something new I learned today, but not sure what it is.

A Molasse is a sedementary rock formation - stones in coffee, might be gritty.

Definitions doesn't show any other than the refining process towards sugar of beets and sugarcane, and some other plants.
:confused:

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #1,545
Wow I think I learn what molasses is today. :-p
By the way, stevia can make sugar too. :biggrin:

• #1,546
  • #1,547
And I always thought moles had to do with avocados ...

Likes Stephanus and 1oldman2
  • #1,548
fresh_42 said:
Isn't that just the wacky ones?

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,549
fresh_42 said:
Good one !

• #1,550
Jonathan Scott said:
Isn't that just the wacky ones?
TIL, that would be a lot of "whack a mole" :wink:

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,551
Today I learned that I should never dye my hair by myself.

I got it dyed black a few months back and decided today to return it to my natural colour - sort of gingery brown. I went wrong. It's now highlighter orange, the shops are shut and I have work tomorrow...

• #1,552
Larry Gopnik said:
Today I learned that I should never dye my hair by myself.

I got it dyed black a few months back and decided today to return it to my natural colour - sort of gingery brown. I went wrong. It's now highlighter orange, the shops are shut and I have work tomorrow...
Take the positive part of it. I have an Irish friend. No matter how large a crowd might be, she cannot get lost. :wink:

• #1,554
jtbell said:
Today I learned about "corn sweat" and how it contributes to summer heat waves in the midwest US.
Lol... I just learned that myself, about two hours ago... 'cause my wife told me.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:approve:So, to borrow from your signature...
I don't need no stinkin' signature...

Internet??... Internet?
I don't need no stinkin' internet...
:oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
  • #1,555
Today I learned,
that if you pack 250 moles of moles in a mole hole, it will become a black hole.
G = 6.674 * 10-11
Mole = 6.022 * 1023
Weight of a, ehm, mole ≈ 500 gr
##R_{schwarzschild} = \frac{2GM}{c^2}##
##R_s = \frac{2 * 250 * 6.022 * 10^{23}\text{ } * 500gr * 6.674 * 10^{-11}}{9 * 10^16}##
##R_s = 1.12 * 10^{-1}m = 0.112 m = 10 cm## About the size of a mole hole.
Even if my calculation is wrong, the hole still black.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,556
fresh_42 said:
Ahhh, I didn't get the joke. Avogadro?

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,557
Stephanus said:
Ahhh, I didn't get the joke. Avogadro?
Double joke (not sure whether intentional). Firstly, Avocado could be confused with Avogadro. Secondly, Avocado is used to make Guacamole (sounds something like "whack a moley").

Likes 1oldman2, Stephanus, Pepper Mint and 1 other person
  • #1,558
Stephanus said:
Today I learned,
that if you pack 250 moles of moles in a mole hole, it will become a black hole.
G = 6.674 * 10-11
Mole = 6.022 * 1023
Weight of a, ehm, mole ≈ 500 gr
##R_{schwarzschild} = \frac{2GM}{c^2}##
##R_s = \frac{2 * 250 * 6.022 * 10^{23}\text{ } * 500gr * 6.674 * 10^{-11}}{9 * 10^16}##
##R_s = 1.12 * 10^{-1}m = 0.112 m = 10 cm## About the size of a mole hole.
Even if my calculation is wrong, the hole still black.
Today I learned through using that equation that one would have to shrink a mole weighing 100 grams to a size of about 1.48x10-28 which is smaller than a Neutrino in order to make the mole into a black hole

• #1,559
Kaura said:
which is smaller than a Neutrino
It is expected that neutrinos are point-like, and there are no indications of any size. Experiments set upper limits on a possible size.

• #1,560
mfb said:
neutrinos are point-like
TIL, https://docushare.icecube.wisc.edu/dsweb/Get/Document-58012/dumm_thesis.pdf
Very soon into reading this I was wondering why the southern sky registered so many more events than the north.
("The data sample contains 36,900 events: 14,121 from the northern sky, mostly
muons induced by atmospheric neutrinos and 22,779 from the southern sky, mostly
high energy atmospheric muons.")
I quickly came upon,
( "in the southern hemisphere these neutrinos are swamped by the downgoing cosmic-ray muon background.") Which of course brought up...http://icecube.wisc.edu/
This led to wondering about tau... http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/let-s-use-tau-it-s-easier-than-pi/,
Which in turn brought me to...

Soon I'm watching...

(Ain't the internet great!) :smile:
Thanks mfb, this has been a good "TIL day" (I'm hoping for some feedback/opinions on pi v.s. tau)

Last edited:
  • #1,561
I'd like to check if we can copy paste a picture without upload it in a post.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/103459
And this a thumbnail
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/103460

And copy paste the formula.
And formula
##a = b + c##
And font
And color

## \text{and font with formula } a = b + c##
And font and color and styles
##a = b + c \text{ } \text{styles and color in formula}##

This won't work even without copy paste

##\text{Different styles } \text {and color won't work}##

• #1,562
Stephanus said:
And this a thumbnail

And formula
##a = b + c##
And font
And color

Drag and drop is about as complicated as I get.

• #1,563
Stephanus said:
And this a thumbnail

And formula
##a = b + c##
And font
And color

The only picture I can copy and paste is a screen grab using the Snipping Tool...

• #1,564
upload_2016-7-19_1-4-42.png

• #1,565
I'd like to post three postings at once. So the trick is, I "create" a thread, then I write the posts and calculation there. Then when it's done, I just copy paste to the thread that I want to answer. And I want the graphs will be there, too.
Because this three post are related each other. I'll give you the link.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ant-speed-of-light.878697/page-2#post-5524020
But edding three post at once with graphs will remove the graph. Oh, my. Luckily PF Forum has edit feature.
Okay..., today I learned that if I want to write three posts at once, I have to be careful with the graphs.

• #1,566
Yes, @OCR , but it's not the screen that I want to capture. See my links. They are all 2 minutes separated. The only way to do that is to write all of them one by one ant post them at once.
But once I post, I didn't see my graphs.
I have to upload them again. Perhaps the server just save the graph for each user, not for each browser window opened.

• #1,567
1oldman2 said:
The "point-like" in that title has nothing to do with neutrino sizes, it means they all come from the same place in the sky (within the angular resolution).

IceCube is at the South Pole, so naturally things from the South look different from things from the North.

I rarely use ##\pi## without a factor 2, so ##\tau## would be more convenient.

Stephanus said:
Yes, @OCR , but it's not the screen that I want to capture. See my links. They are all 2 minutes separated. The only way to do that is to write all of them one by one ant post them at once.
But once I post, I didn't see my graphs.
I have to upload them again. Perhaps the server just save the graph for each user, not for each browser window opened.
You can always write a single post and put everything in that.

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,568
Stephanus said:
[ATTACH=full]103326[/ATTACH]

You can, almost. Instead of the ATTACH tags, turn the attachment number into a valid IMG image link to the original image, e.g., the above becomes [ATTACH=full]189275[/ATTACH]

N.B., you do need to obtain (or guess) the correct filename suffix: jpg/png/gif, etc.

Attachments

• 103326.jpg
    103326.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 123
  • #1,569
NascentOxygen said:
N.B., you do need to obtain (or guess) the correct filename suffix: jpg/png/gif, etc.
Right click on the image -> show image details (or similar, browser-dependent), gives you the exact path.

Likes NascentOxygen
  • #1,570
Today I'm going to learn whether I can post 3 posts with graphs simultaneously.
My first image.

Beatles_ad_1965_just_the_beatles_crop.jpg

Attachments

• beatles-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg
    beatles-large_trans++eo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 370
  • the-beatles-circa-1966-650-430.jpg
    the-beatles-circa-1966-650-430.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 338
Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,571
NascentOxygen said:
You can, almost. Instead of the ATTACH tags, turn the attachment number into a valid IMG image link to the original image, e.g., the above becomes [ATTACH=full]189276[/ATTACH]

mfb said:
Right click on the image -> show image details (or similar, browser-dependent), gives you the exact path.
Thank you all for the suggestion. But, when I write the post, I haven't click the "POST REPLY" button, yet. How can my files be in PF server?
My case is like this.
I want to answer to a certain thread in 3 different posts. So I open 3 browser windows, then I wrote them until I finished. Then I click POST REPLY button.
But as @mfb suggestion...
mfb said:
You can always write a single post and put everything in that.
Oh my God. Three different browser windows!. I'm going to try it.
[Add: No, it still didn't work. The other posts only show link to the file]

Attachments

• 103326.jpg
    103326.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 127
  • #1,572
Stephanus said:
I want to answer to a certain thread in 3 different posts.
Why do you want to do that? Put everything in one post. Much better to follow threads like that.

One browser window and one post is everything you need. If you want to attach images, click the "upload" button, upload the image, include it in the post (there is a button to include it as full image, or use the thumbnail version).

• #1,573
mfb said:
Why do you want to do that?
These are my posts I just want to post them in 3 different section so it is neat. But next time, perhaps I will do it with the help of the spoiler button. So the OP can click any detail that he wants to read.

• #1,575
Stephanus said:
Thank you all for the suggestion. But, when I write the post, I haven't click the "POST REPLY" button, yet. How can my files be in PF server?
I still don't follow exactly what you are trying to do, but ...
IMG_20160414_085106_578.jpg

img_20160414_085106_578-jpg.103509.jpg

before you click on POST REPLY you have already clicked on UPLOAD to attach the file to your post, so by hovering the mouse over that filename link at the foot of the edit space you can see the attachment number your file has already been allocated. I have used that information to present the pic 3 ways above ⤴⤴⤴ before I click to POST this. I think the ATTACH tags are restricted to the post to which the file is actually attached, and for all other posts you must use IMG tags.

Back