Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #1,961
Today I learned that George Orwell's "1984" is Amazon top selling book whose rising sales is presumably due to the "alternative facts" controversy. I'm trying to wrap my mind around "double think".

Likes mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,962
gleem said:
Today I learned that George Orwell's "1984" is Amazon top selling book whose rising sales is presumably due to the "alternative facts" controversy. I'm trying to wrap my mind around "double think".
Doubleplusgood!

Likes BillTre
  • #1,963
I haven't learned anything new today. But I am wanting to learn something today so my question is, what is today's alternative fact?

Likes BillTre
  • #1,964
mfb said:
If it is UV-based, then glasses help.Avoid something with a potential risk, replace it by something with certain risks?

I need to learn more about this. Thanks for the replies.

• #1,965
StevieTNZ said:
I haven't learned anything new today. But I am wanting to learn something today so my question is, what is today's alternative fact?
##2+2=1##

Likes Borg
  • #1,967
mfb said:
##2+2=5##
Actually, I think Trump's version is 2 + 2 = about 300

• #1,968
Make 2+2 great again!

Likes zoobyshoe, Borg, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #1,970
fresh_42 said:
##2+2=1##

mfb said:
##2+2=5##

Now to figure out which alternative fact most appeals to my most dearly held notions and biases!

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
  • #1,971
dkotschessaa said:
Now to figure out which alternative fact most appeals to my most dearly held notions and biases!
Well, mine doesn't need a redefinition of facts, umm symbols.
In case anyone wants to learn more about alternatives, mathematicians have already a solution even for this:
We gathered them in ##\{A_n\,\vert \,n \in \mathbb{N}_{\geq 2}\}## :biggrin:

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #1,972
TIL, that U.S. government scientists will not be easily muzzled.
U.S. government scientists go 'rogue' in defiance of Trump.
Employees from more than a dozen U.S. government agencies have established a network of unofficial "rogue" Twitter feeds in defiance of what they see as attempts by President Donald Trump to muzzle federal climate change research and other science.

Likes collinsmark, Aufbauwerk 2045 and mfb
  • #1,973
fresh_42 said:
##2+2=1##
Today I learned that sales of 1984 are up 10,000%.

• #1,974
Borg said:
Today I learned that sales of 1984 are up 10,000%.
Hundredfold? On what size of inventory? " Earlier this week Signet Classics ordered a 75,000-copy reprint of the book and the company spokesman says there could be more printings in the near future.

CorrectionJan. 25, 2017
A previous version of this story said Kellyanne Conway was interviewed on Face the Nation by Chuck Todd. The show was actually Meet the Press." 75k? It's no longer required reading?

• #1,975
Today I learned that George Orwell died in creating his 1984 classic:

In 1946 Observer editor David Astor lent George Orwell a remote Scottish farmhouse in which to write his new book, Nineteen Eighty-Four. It became one of the most significant novels of the 20th century. Here, Robert McCrum tells the compelling story of Orwell's torturous stay on the island where the author, close to death and beset by creative demons, was engaged in a feverish race to finish the book

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/may/10/1984-george-orwell

• #1,976
Death is life?

• #1,977
Borg said:
Death is life?
Doubleplusungood!

Likes Borg
  • #1,978
fresh_42 said:
Doubleplusungood!
It's going to be a crazy four years. :wideeyed:

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and fresh_42
  • #1,979
We have a saying here: What others built up with their hands in months, he tears down with his butt in minutes.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and dkotschessaa
  • #1,980
fresh_42 said:
Well, mine doesn't need a redefinition of facts, umm symbols.
In case anyone wants to learn more about alternatives, mathematicians have already a solution even for this:
We gathered them in ##\{A_n\,\vert \,n \in \mathbb{N}_{\geq 2}\}## :biggrin:

You're trying to brainwash me! ::puts on alternative math news site::

• #1,981
Borg said:
It's going to be a crazy four years. :wideeyed:

This kind of crazy?

Today, I learned to stay off the north jetty of Humboldt Bay(coordinates: 40°45′53.06″N 124°14′05.01″W), when the National Weather Service issues a High Surf Advisory for Northern California after overnight measurements indicated a surf height of 27 feet.

Likes Borg and jedishrfu
  • #1,982
OmCheeto said:
This kind of crazy?
Sure that crazy is the appropriate adjective here?

• #1,983
OmCheeto said:
This kind of crazy?
Today, I learned to stay off the north jetty of Humboldt Bay(coordinates: 40°45′53.06″N 124°14′05.01″W), when the National Weather Service issues a High Surf Advisory for Northern California after overnight measurements indicated a surf height of 27 feet.

Just Wow!

• #1,984
OmCheeto said:
This kind of crazy?
What a maroon. :oldlaugh:
Looks like he busted a right front tie rod early on. He was screwed after that.

• #1,985
fresh_42 said:
Sure that crazy is the appropriate adjective here?

hmmmm... Are you implying that it's going to be crazier?
Could be.
But my imagination only goes so far, and the next 4 years is only a week old, and many of us are already... :oldfrown::oldmad::oldeek::oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised:

We may need a new adjective.

• #1,986
Borg said:
What a maroon. :oldlaugh:
Looks like he busted a right front tie rod early on. He was screwed after that.
Yah... He's the second best excuse for not defunding Planned Parenthood, IMHO.

Likes Borg
  • #1,987
  • #1,989
OmCheeto said:
This kind of crazy?
That is not crazy, that is a suicide attempt.Today I learned: There was never a proper randomized double-blind trial on whether parachute use prevents death when jumping out of airplanes.

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,990
mfb said:
That is not crazy, that is a suicide attempt.Today I learned: There was never a proper randomized double-blind trial on whether parachute use prevents death when jumping out of airplanes.
Sure?

• #1,991
Today I learned: There was never a published randomized double-blind trial on whether parachute use prevents death when jumping out of airplanes.

Likes EnumaElish, zoobyshoe and dkotschessaa
  • #1,992
mfb said:
Today I learned: There was never a published randomized double-blind trial on whether parachute use prevents death when jumping out of airplanes.

Pfft. Total placebo.

Likes EnumaElish and zoobyshoe
  • #1,993
dkotschessaa said:
Pfft. Total placebo.

More likely skewed results from those who couldn't report back the failure of their jump.

Likes EnumaElish, Borg, dkotschessaa and 2 others
  • #1,994
jedishrfu said:
More likely skewed results from those who couldn't report back the failure of their jump.

Questionnaire:

1. Did you use a Parachute? Y/N
2. How would you rate your landing experience on a scale of 1-10? ____

Likes jedishrfu and EnumaElish
  • #1,995
TIL why it's called terminal velocity.

Likes jedishrfu, EnumaElish, phinds and 1 other person
Back