Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #2,311
That the solar light my mom threw out just needed a new battery, good thing I got it from the recycling bin

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,312
AbstractlyAlgebraic said:
Today I learned that I really don't want to go to graduate school in math anymore. It just don't like it as much as I thought I did.

That's unfortunate. Was it theoretical or practical application? Your nick seems to imply the former, so why not try the latter?

• #2,313
I just learned that the English "town" and the German "Zaun", which means fence, are of the same origin, meaning something within boundaries. This sheds a completely new light on towns.

Likes epenguin
  • #2,314
fresh_42 said:
I just learned that the English "town" and the German "Zaun", which means fence, are of the same origin, meaning something within boundaries. This sheds a completely new light on towns.

I didn’t know that! We think of towns in the Middle Ages is having as being enclosed by walls, The walled enclosure being almost the definition of ‘town’ . I’d picked up somehow the wrong idea that the very common English place name suffix ‘-ton’ just meant “a place” or ‘settlement’. Now a fence may not being much of a, hey, defence, compare to town on or castle walls, but people in the dark and the Middle Ages needed to live in groups, not isolated farmhouses, Were keen for their communities’ space to be delimited, marked. Outside the fence was the Marsh or Mark, if you were there you could have arrows trained on you, you were a marked man.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,315
Wasn't *today* but I learned a lot about myself recently, dug up courage and strength I didn't know I had... Matters of the heart don't come easy to logical, analytical people!

• #2,316
Rx7man said:
Matters of the heart don't come easy to logical, analytical people!

Before one let's his head overrule his heart, he should make sure it is the wiser of the two. I think women have an advantage there.There's lots of country songs written about such mistakes. I'm contemplating one myself.

old jim

Likes Rx7man
  • #2,317
jim hardy said:
I'm contemplating one myself.
That's too horrifying to contemplate... . o_O

• #2,318
OCR said:
That's too horrifying to contemplate... . o_O
Horrifying ?
Which one ? The erreurs du coeur or country music ?

• #2,319
jim hardy said:
Which one ? The erreurs du coeur or country music ?
Uh, no... writing one...? But if you insist, use some good backup... like this. . :cool:

Or... like this . . :biggrin:

Or, just sing along with... Emmylou ..

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
  • #2,320
OCR said:
Uh, no... writing one...?
But if you insist, use some good backup... like this. . :cool:
Seems to prove one of my favorite quotes about country:
"Three chords and the truth." (D.Parton)

• #2,321
OCR said:
Uh, no... writing one...?But if you insist, use some good backup... like this. . :cool:

Good choices all.

I'm thinking along a theme Reflections on erreurs du couer, to effect "I'll never get into heaven all my Mother-In-Law's are there".

old jim

Last edited:
  • #2,322
Posy McPostface said:
That's unfortunate. Was it theoretical or practical application? Your nick seems to imply the former, so why not try the latter?

Well, I kind of failed real analysis, and I got a C- in complex analysis, so... my grades just aren't high enough to get in, honestly. And I hated both of those classes. I got an A in physics though. I might try to go for statistics or do a minor in physics or something. I like math, but the math major is just making me miserable.

• #2,323
AbstractlyAlgebraic said:
Well, I kind of failed real analysis, and I got a C- in complex analysis, so... my grades just aren't high enough to get in, honestly. And I hated both of those classes. I got an A in physics though. I might try to go for statistics or do a minor in physics or something. I like math, but the math major is just making me miserable.

Ah, I see. I'm at my limits of what I can advise, perhaps someone else cares to chime in?

Likes max262
  • #2,324
Anders Celsius. Can you guess what I learned by the name? :biggrin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Celsius said:
He founded the Uppsala Astronomical Observatory in 1741, and in 1742 proposed the Celsius temperature scale which bears his name.

I also learned
Celsius conducted many geographical measurements for the Swedish General map, and was one of earliest to note that much of Scandinavia is slowly rising above sea level, a continuous process which has been occurring since the melting of the ice from the latest ice age. However, he wrongly posed the notion that the water was evaporating.[3]
But hey, I don't blame him. My logic would have told me same. I would have hypotethized: "I think the rise is due to evaporation... But how can I experiment and test?" Logic can be wrong.

• #2,325
Today I unfortunately learned how hot a soldering iron truly is. On the bright side I now know how to use a soldering iron and the importance of always wearing protection.

• #2,326
TIL some stuff about Handicrafts!
cce3353c-b1fb-407d-88a2-430befbfaabf.jpg

Attachments

• cce3353c-b1fb-407d-88a2-430befbfaabf.jpg
    cce3353c-b1fb-407d-88a2-430befbfaabf.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 554
Likes Tom.G and OmCheeto
  • #2,327
stephenkohnle53 said:
Today I unfortunately learned how hot a soldering iron truly is. On the bright side I now know how to use a soldering iron and the importance of always wearing protection.
LOL. When I was about 10 years old, I was learning how to solder using a Weller Soldering Gun, and I wondered to myself whether the shiny rods that hold the tip were hot. Yep, they were! o0)

http://www.stevenjohnson.com/soldering/pics/weller-8200n.jpg
weller-8200n.jpg

Attachments

• weller-8200n.jpg
    weller-8200n.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 648
Likes AlexCaledin and OmCheeto
  • #2,328
Today I learned two things about dribbling my new basketball down the hall at work (do not ask me why I am at work on a Holiday weekend, and don't ask why I'm dribbling down the hall please...)

We have a nice thin springy carpet at my work, and surprisingly, the basketball rebounds up about 20% higher than it does on hard asphalt or concrete. I did not expect that!

And it turns out dribbling a basketball down the hall on this type of carpet generates a huge amount of static electric buildup on the ball (and me, unfortunately). When I grabbed the doorknob to dribble out into the lobby, KABLAM! (must have been close to a 30kV shock!) o0)

Likes OmCheeto and jim hardy
  • #2,329
berkeman said:
And it turns out dribbling a basketball down the hall on this type of carpet generates a huge amount of static electric buildup on the ball (and me, unfortunately). When I grabbed the doorknob to dribble out into the lobby, KABLAM! (must have been close to a 30kV shock!) o0)
https://m.xkcd.com/242/

Likes OmCheeto, jim hardy and berkeman
  • #2,330
Ibix said:

Great one.
This might belong in "Random Thoughts" , but following @Ibix's lead
http://www.cvaieee.org/html/humor/marry_not_an_engineer.html

Marry Not An Engineer
[I first saw this on a little yellow card distributed by Schweber Electronics in the late 1960's. I can't find that card anymore but I found this on the Internet and it agrees with my memory. - LH]

Verily, I say unto ye,
marry not an engineer.
For an engineer is a strange being
and possessed of many evils.

Yea, he speaketh always in parables
which he calleth formulae.
He wieldeth a big stick
which he calleth a slide rule.
And he hath only one bible,
a handbook.

He thinketh only of strains and stresses,
and without end of thermodynamics.
He showeth always a serious aspect
and seemeth not to know how to smile.
He picketh his seat in a car by the springs thereof
and not by the damsels.

Neither does he know a waterfall
except by its horsepower,
Nor a sunset
except that he must turn on the light,
Nor a damsel
except by her weight.

Always he carrieth his books with him,
and he entertaineth his sweetheart with steam tables.
Verily, though his damsel expecteth chocolates when he calleth,
She openeth the package to discover samples of iron ore.

Yea, he holdeth her hand
but to measure the friction thereof,
and kisseth her
only to test the viscosity of her lips,
for in his eyes shineth a far away look
that is neither love nor longing,
but a vain attempt to recall formulae.

Even as a boy, he pulleth a girl's hair
but to test its elasticity.
But as a man,
he deviseth different devices.
For he counteth the vibrations of her heartstrings
And seeketh ever to pursue his scientific investigations.

Even his own heart flutterings
he counteth as a measure of fluctuation.
And his marriage is but a
simultaneous equation involving two unknowns.
And yielding diverse results.

Verily, I say unto ye,
marry not an engineer.

Fair Anne puts up with me though.

old jim

Likes berkeman and OmCheeto
  • #2,331
jim hardy said:
Fair Anne puts up with me though.
:smile:

• #2,332
Milton Friedman forsaw the internet form of Bitcoin, eons ahead of anyone else.

• #2,333
Posy McPostface said:
Milton Friedman forsaw the internet form of Bitcoin, eons ahead of anyone else.
You're far too focused on it. Be careful, it's a high risk, very volatile investment and other forms already entered the stage.

• #2,334
fresh_42 said:
You're far too focused on it. Be careful, it's a high risk, very volatile investment and other forms already entered the stage.

Yeah, I agree. That boat has sailed already.

• #2,335
One can have a bigger foot than the other.

I started measuring my feet and noticed that one measurement was larger than the other and I was like: "This cannot be, I must be doing something wrong." Although the difference wasn't much.

I spent half an hour measuring my feet again and again until someone told me that people can have one foot bigger than the other. :DD

That moment when you think you are doing something wrong, but you are not.

• #2,336
TIL (through experimentation and observation) that no matter how long you spend working on an essay, you can never determine how it's going to be received.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,337
Likes ISamson
  • #2,338
We recently had a couple of dense showers of dry little balls of snow, smaller than a pea and white rather than clear ice, falling slower than normal hail, resembling tiny little balls of snow, landing quietly and looking very similar to some polystyrene packaging beads. I didn't know what to call it, so I searched online for an appropriate term. Today I learned that the correct term is "graupel", a term of which I was previously unaware, and it is also sometimes described as soft hail.

I also learned that the term "sleet" (which here in the UK means a slushy wet mixture of rain and snow) is used in other places such as the USA and Canada as a general term for precipitation in the form of ice pellets.

Likes Ibix
  • #2,339
Jonathan Scott said:
I also learned that the term "sleet" (which here in the UK means a slushy wet mixture of rain and snow) is used in other places such as the USA and Canada as a general term for precipitation in the form of ice pellets.

Yep. We actually use "sleet" to refer to both.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,340
TIL that things can explode in a microwave.

Before you laugh and write things like "I could have told you", I bet you wouldn't had expected to be goulash in that category either!

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,341
fresh_42 said:
Before you laugh and write things like "I could have told you", I bet you wouldn't had expected to be goulash in that category either!

I've had spaghetti "explode" and coat the inside of my microwave with sauce. The key to cooking in a microwave is to have a microwave with an inverter and to use it at a lower power when heating most foods.

• #2,342
Drakkith said:
I've had spaghetti "explode" and coat the inside of my microwave with sauce. The key to cooking in a microwave is to have a microwave with an inverter and to use it at a lower power when heating most foods.
Yes, but the problem wasn't the sauce, I had the plate covered, it was the beef which was torn into parts and lifted the cover.

• #2,343
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but the problem wasn't the sauce, I had the plate covered, it was the beef which was torn into parts and lifted the cover.
Chicken commonly does that to me.

• #2,344
I've had particularly smooth microwave experiences. What do you guys do that dangers it up?o_O

Likes BillTre
  • #2,345
lekh2003 said:
I've had particularly smooth microwave experiences. What do you guys do that dangers it up?o_O

No idea.

Back