Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
DiracPool said:

That's interesting! My wife and I have driven through Murphy Village, South Carolina (referenced in that article) a number of times on our way to Florida. It's about 1 to 1.5 hours drive from here. I didn't know its name or significance until I looked it up on Google Maps just now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Today I leaned that I'm naive! :oldgrumpy:

Lisa! said:
Today I leaned that I'm naive! :oldgrumpy:
Oh goodie, I have company :D

Likes Lisa!
Lisa! said:
Today I leaned that I'm naive!

You have naively leaned against something too weak to support you?

Borek said:
You have naively leaned against something too weak to support you?

I tend to believe people and do my best to help them. Then it turns out that they really didn't deserve that.

Likes RonL and Borek
Don't feel alienated, we all fail for that now and again.

Likes RonL and Lisa!
Today I learned that the aluminum in a soda can is four thousandths of an inch thick. That surprised the hell out of me because a human hair is about three thousandths of an inch thick. I never suspected soda cans were so thin.

Likes DennisN, edward and Medicol
Today I learned that humming birds will not drink diet cranberry juice. I also learned that everything in the fridge will be scrambled around after my grandson has been here.

Learned that Nancy Sinatra did great songs, which most were unknown to me!

Today I learned I'm not actually part of this society(PF), but only a member.

Shyan said:
I spent a few years in Texas --- as an outsider --- I thought --- until I took the time to chisel my way through NOT just their personal defenses, but my own. Stick with us. There are actually one or two people behind all the posturing and bluster.

Likes Borg
Bystander said:
I spent a few years in Texas --- as an outsider --- I thought --- until I took the time to chisel my way through NOT just their personal defenses, but my own. Stick with us. There are actually one or two people behind all the posturing and bluster.
I'll stay, but I think I should again limit my focus on the scientific forums and don't pay attention to other discussions. You know, actually I thought maybe I can be more of a member than that, but now I understand its not going to work.

Likes OmCheeto
Shyan said:
and don't pay attention to other discussions.
If only the rest of us had that much sense, things would be a lot more peaceful around here.

Likes OmCheeto
Shyan said:
I'm not sure why you say that, there are members here from all around the world.
I have read some of your post and can tell that not only are you very smart, but you teach very well. :)
Unless it is something more at a personal level, that I know nothing of, I for one would be disappointed if you go away. :(

Likes Nikitin, edward, Silicon Waffle and 1 other person
Byan: Shyan needs to be tickled!
Lyan: Hey Shyan where is your spot ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
RonL said:
I'm not sure why you say that, there are members here from all around the world.
I have read some of your post and can tell that not only are you very smart, but you teach very well. :)
Unless it is something more at a personal level, that I know nothing of, I for one would be disappointed if you go away. :(
As I said in post #221, I'm not going to leave.
And thanks
Medicol said:
Byan: Shyan needs to be tickled!
Lyan: Hey Shyan where is your spot ?
Sorry, but I don't understand!

Likes RonL
OK forget it. you're not leaving anyway. :D

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today, I learned that "Routing Numbers", are unique to a bank. I had always assumed they were unique to an account.

Which is very strange, as I'd been using routing numbers for the last 15 years of my employment, and had even done international financial transactions.
The strangest thing though, is that for the last 5 years, I've been trying to pay my online bills, with one of my 3 banks, and they said I couldn't pay my bills, as I did not have a routing number. (How can a financial institution not know its own routing number?)

Anyways, the two very nice young ladies at the credit union were very polite today, when they explained this to me.
Though, they couldn't hide the thoughts in their eyes; "He's a grey hair. They ain't too bright. Talk to him like he's a 6 year old."

:-p

Likes Silicon Waffle and Medicol
OmCheeto said:
Today, I learned that "Routing Numbers", are unique to a bank. I had always assumed they were unique to an account.
It is used within the US only, isn't it ? we use swift code for wire transfers accoss borders.
Anyways, the two very nice young ladies at the credit union were very polite today, when they explained this to me.
Though, they couldn't hide the thoughts in their eyes; "He's a grey hair. They ain't too bright. Talk to him like he's a 6 year old."
:-p
:DD Totally agreed! This is often met.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Today I learned there are about 9000 faucets in the Empire State Building.

Likes Medicol
Today I learned how hard it is going to be to teach an older non computer person to be a computer person.

DiracPool said:
Today I learned that light actually does travel really fast. There's a high cloud cover over my house tonight in Tacoma, and somewhere in the county they are shining spot lights in the sky. Four of them, rotating around in a circle. One of those where they fan out and come back into a center point, and then out again, etc. When they fan out you can see them whip across the sky, covering maybe 40 or 50 miles in a fraction of a second, really cool. I live by McChord air force base and they have fighter jets flying over occasionally. So mentally I'm comparing those speeds and thinking, those fighter jets are damn slow. Special relativity is cool! :D
Actually, those light spots can move faster than light.
I had this confusion few years ago:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-thought-experiment-on-velocity-greater-than-c.332647/

Likes Medicol
Today I learned I cannot study for a final in four days. Tomorrow I am going to fail.

Likes Medicol
pitbull said:
Today I learned I cannot study for a final in four days. Tomorrow I am going to fail.
You never know they may just happen to ask questions you can answer.

Likes Medicol and pitbull
Medicol said:
It is used within the US only, isn't it ? we use swift code for wire transfers accoss borders.
:DD Totally agreed! This is often met.
Until now I had never heard of 'routing numbers' I don't have grey hair either [ I shave it off every day ]

Likes Medicol
Today I learned that I couldn't make my way back to where I started if the strange route was supposed to include 7-10 turns.
(I would want to go home from my my workplace but I choose a new road that I have to turn left and right many times; the next day I can't go to work from home on the exact road I used to go home from office :nb). It may take me 3-5 times to go on the same road until I can memorize where. I have a bad memory. :()

Today I learned a lot of important things pertaining to vectors. I also learned that the symbol representing the vector differential operator is called "nabla".

Today I learned, that Kaluza and Klein, are very old.

Oskar Benjamin Klein, born September 15, 1894
Theodor Franz Eduard Kaluza, born 9 November 1885​

I always thought they were youngsters, like myself.

Likes Silicon Waffle
OmCheeto said:
Today I learned, that Kaluza and Klein, are very old.

Oskar Benjamin Klein, born September 15, 1894
Theodor Franz Eduard Kaluza, born 9 November 1885​

I always thought they were youngsters, like myself.
Young at heart, always - as you are :oldsmile:.

Hmmm. Today I learned Theodor Franz Eduard Kaluza and I share a birthday...not a birthyear, though.

Last edited:
Likes Medicol and OmCheeto
James Prescott Joule, born 24 December 1818, along with being a physicist, was also, a brewer.

hmmm... that might explain some things...

TheDemx27 said:
Today I learned a lot of important things pertaining to vectors. I also learned that the symbol representing the vector differential operator is called "nabla".
Yup. More commonly called the "del" operator, it is represented using the nabla symbol. (It looks like an upside down, capital "delta" symbol.)

It is represented in [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] using
Code:
\nabla
so you can write cool things like
[tex]
\nabla f = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \hat x + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \hat y + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \hat z
[/tex]

It's also used in different, yet related ways to represent the divergence [itex] \left( \nabla \cdot \vec v \right) [/itex], curl [itex] \left( \nabla \times \vec v \right) [/itex] and Laplacian [itex] \left( \nabla \cdot \nabla = \nabla^2 \right) [/itex].

Last edited:
Likes Medicol and TheDemx27
Today I learned, or more accurately realized, that "cosmic" and "comic" are only one letter away.

Likes Enigman
collinsmark said:
It's also used in different, yet related ways to represent the divergence [itex] \left( \nabla \cdot \vec v \right) [/itex], curl [itex] \left( \nabla \times \vec v \right) [/itex] and Laplacian [itex] \left( \nabla \cdot \nabla = \nabla^2 \right) [/itex].

Today I learned what I want to learn next. :biggrin:

Today I learned that sheep can dig snow holes! I was out walking in Scotland when suddenly a sheep fought its way out of a bank of snow about 20m away. Then three more followed it. As far as I could tell they had completely buried themselves. Probably to stay warm. Extraordinary!

Back