Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #2,766
Why is it a Euclidean space, but a Noetherian ring? What's the rule?

Likes dextercioby
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,767
fresh_42 said:
What's the rule?
Spelling is weird.
Use a computer spell checker.

• #2,768
BillTre said:
Spelling is weird.
Use a computer spell checker.
As Hammond organs became more popular in the seventies (they were still quite big at the time), an employee of a store for music instruments told me, that he actually had customers how thought there is a little drummer in that machine. In this sense:

The spell checker in my machine doesn't know Emmy. Crétin!

My workaround is Wikipedia for technical terms. It has also the advantage, that different language versions often add additional information!

Likes Klystron
  • #2,769
jim hardy said:
So i shut it down with power button and dried it in the oven at maybe 115F.
Klystron said:
Seriously, please do not put electronics in an oven.
pinball1970 said:
Hair dryer not oven
Now, post a picture of your laptop. . . in a hair dryer. .
lmao.gif

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes pinball1970, Klystron and jim hardy
  • #2,770
Today I learned that one of Canada's provinces will be creating legislation that makes organ donation an opt out deal. after brain death? only adults? I don't know the details, legislation not yet written

Never knew such a thing existed nor thought of the concept previously. Apparently it's a thing in parts of Europe.

I like it. and hope the province I'm in will enact the same.

• #2,771
fresh_42 said:
Why is it a Euclidean space, but a Noetherian ring? What's the rule?

The suffix -ian is the more common (e.g., Mathematician, Gaussian, physician). But there are exceptions, (e.g., Argentinean, and as you mention, Euclidean). There's even other exceptions that end in just -an (e.g., Elizabethan).
As @BillTre mentions: better use a spell checker.

This is mostly unlike German where once you know the rules, spelling is straightforward. As I'm told from German students who have studied English, "There are no German Spelling Bees. Everybody would win."

• #2,772
collinsmark said:
"There are no German Spelling Bees. Everybody would win."
I seriously doubt that! Apart from notoriously bad students, there are also things you cannot hear, e.g. doubled letters can not necessarily be heard. And there are difficult words and exceptions, too. "ui" in Duisburg is pronounced "ü", the "oe" in Soest is just a long "o", etc. But it is easier compared to English. My favorite example is from G.B. Shaw: "ghot" is pronounced "fish", gh as in laugh, o as in women, and t as in nation.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,773
V can sound like F or W - even when followed by the same letters (Vogel, Vogesen). For spelling this means you have to know when to use F and V, or W and V. "Fogel" and "Wogesen" would be pronounced the same but these words don't exist.
"aa" and "ah" are both just a long a, similar for e and o and u.
Then you have some imported foreign words that come with an unusual spelling.

Last edited:
  • #2,774
mfb said:
V can sound like F or W - even when followed by the same letters (Vogel, Vogesen). For spelling this means you have to know when to use F and V, or W and V. "Fogel" and "Wogesen" would be pronounced the same but these words don't exist.
"aa" and "ah" are both just a long a, similar for e, o and u.
Then you have some imported foreign words that come with an unusual spelling.
We have a double u?

• #2,776
fresh_42 said:
We have a double u?
Good point, didn't find words with a "uu" as long u. There are words that have two u, like "Vakuum", but they are in separate syllables then.
Although... technically we have a Doppel-u.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,777
That Lake Baykal in eastern Russia is home to the world's only fresh water seal

• #2,778
mfb said:
There are words that have two u, like "Vakuum"
But this one is not pronounced with a long "u" but as "u" twice which doesn't serve as an example for unheard letters.

• #2,779
That North America has two main bear species: brown, known as grizzlies, and more common black bears. The smaller black bears often climb trees. Cubs may even nest in trees for safety from larger predatory males and grizzlies. Bears exhibit a wide range of behavior and intelligence, adapt to local food sources and terrain. Bears often plant their rear foot in or near front paw prints while walking or running; can sit, stand and walk on rear legs like hominids.

When observed by humans in daylight or at close range, people say "Look, a bear.". If paw prints show individual claw marks and clear quadrupedal walking, people say, 'Look, bear paw prints." When samples -- hair, scat, dead bodies -- are collected and analyzed, it is always from bear or other common mammals.

When dark or observation obscured, when prints are combined or compressed or unclear, or a large mammal is glimpsed through thick foliage or driving snow, then people exclaim, "Look, Bigfoot! (or Sasquatch or Yeti or some expression for Bear-Person). 'Bigfoot hunters' cannot lose. Anything unexplained is evidence of giant apes. All hard evidence gets waved away as bear.

My guess is that scientists and rational people accept this fantasy to help preserve bear habitat.

• #2,780
fresh_42 said:
But this one is not pronounced with a long "u" but as "u" twice which doesn't serve as an example for unheard letters.
Yes, that's what I mentioned directly after mentioning the word.

Concerning Bigfoot: The lack of good pictures despite nearly everyone having a camera made it quite clear that there is no such thing.

Likes Klystron and dextercioby
  • #2,781
mfb said:
Concerning Bigfoot: The lack of good pictures despite nearly everyone having a camera made it quite clear that there is no such thing.
So true. Photos that are not outright hoaxes are invariably black bears up a tree or walking uphill away from the camera. Several scientists collaborated on a geographical study. "Sasquatch" reports directly correlate with known bear habitat. Always.

The exciting TIL idea I found on wikipedia is that fossil evidence indicates bears migrated to North America at roughly the same times and using the same land bridges as early humans.

• #2,782
TIL that there is something called GPS Rollover that occurred Saturday. :wideeyed:

Likes Ibix
  • #2,783
Borg said:
TIL that there is something called GPS Rollover that occurred Saturday. :wideeyed:
Where are the doomsday prophets when you need them?

Likes nitsuj
  • #2,784
fresh_42 said:
Lost due to a GPS failure, I imagine.

Likes Tom.G and fresh_42
  • #2,785
fresh_42 said:
Delayed by unforeseen circumstances.

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,786
Cool!

Likes Spinnor, collinsmark, OmCheeto and 1 other person
  • #2,787
I have long known that "xyzzy" is a magic word that can sometimes elicit the response "Nothing happens", Explanation: Xyzzy (computing)

Today I learned it has another use, as a nmemonic to remember how the vector cross product is defined: ##c_x = a_y b_z - a_z b_y##. Once you have the ##x## component, the others are obtained by cyclic permutation of the indices. Further details: Xyzzy (mnemonic)

• #2,788
TIL that there is such a thing as a musical isomorphism.

• #2,789
Tangentially related to the "New Meat Free Hamburger" thread, I saw today that Carl's Jr. is going to be trying out a cannabis burger (CBD, not THC).

It will be called the Rocky Mountain High: CheeseBurger Delight burger.
It will be available only in Denver (as in John), Colorado, and only on April 20 (4/20).
The active ingredient will be in the sauce.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,790
BillTre said:
It will be called the Rocky Mountain High:
Wow. Do i love puns...

A friend of mine has about a thousand acres of south facing mountaintop 40 miles West of Denver, around 9600 ft elevation, already permitted for renewable electric power and with water rights. I'm hoping a grower decides that'd be a good site for a mega-greenhouse.

Likes BillTre
  • #2,791
DrGreg said:
I have long known that "xyzzy" is a magic word that can sometimes elicit the response "Nothing happens", Explanation: Xyzzy (computing)

Today I learned it has another use, as a nmemonic to remember how the vector cross product is defined: ##c_x = a_y b_z - a_z b_y##. Once you have the ##x## component, the others are obtained by cyclic permutation of the indices. Further details: Xyzzy (mnemonic)

Your post reminds me of a small desert town near the southern border between Nevada and California https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx,_California familiar to drivers on Interstate route 15. :cool:

• #2,792
Today I found a real error on a mathematical Wikipedia page for the first time. I always thought you cannot go wrong reporting mathematical facts, but obviously you can.

• #2,793
Well, to get a true impression, sometimes you have drop the first letter of Wikipedia.

• Haha
Likes phinds
  • #2,794
Tom.G said:
Well, to get a true impression, sometimes you have drop the first letter of Wikipedia.
But I like Iggy!

• #2,795
This one deserves to be in here as well as the joke thread ...

eb0xwrx9fpw3ttxl9jzxqxw-_nc_ht-scontent-syd2-1-jpg.jpg

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
  • #2,796
fresh_42 said:
Today I found a real error on a mathematical Wikipedia page for the first time. I always thought you cannot go wrong reporting mathematical facts, but obviously you can.
what was it?

• #2,797
pinball1970 said:
what was it?
A non associative algebra is a baric algebra if and only if it has an ideal of codimension one.
+
More generally it can be shown that Lie algebras cannot be baric algebras.

This sounds reasonable each on its own, but what about solvable Lie algebras which do have an ideal of codimension one? E.g. ##\mathcal{A} = \langle X,Y\,|\,[X,Y]=Y\rangle##.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baric-Algebra

Likes pinball1970
  • #2,798
Why didn't you fix it?

The page hardly gets attention, the last content change was done 2008.

• #2,799
mfb said:
Why didn't you fix it?

The page hardly gets attention, the last content change was done 2008.
I tried for short but didn't find an entry point. I also assume that some additional condition was missing and since there was no reference to "it can be shown" I gave up. A correction meant work to do, although I think I have the book where it's from. But mainly, it was because I didn't manage to figure out how to make adjustments.

• #2,800
There is an "edit" button (or "Seite bearbeiten" in German). The syntax is a bit different from forums but the basics are easy to learn. Or use the discussion page. Don't worry about the formatting - others will take care of it if there is a problem. Fixing content errors is more important.
Otherwise the error will stay in there and confuse more readers.