Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #2,941
Bystander said:
dlgoff said:
I was beginning to get worried that "Forums" wasn't a real word. So I checked my word processor's dictionary;
(plural fo·rums or fo·ra [fáwrə]).
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Still wouldn't bet on that.
Indeed. The © & (P) implies they just copied and pasted, probably from Wikipedia.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,942
dlgoff said:
Even now there are words that I pronounce wrong.
Imagine the office of an international company where the official language is English, yet nobody there has English as native language: so everybody is desperately trying to recall all the lessons and figure out some common basis for understanding mostly based on written English (even worse: written technical English) and the native language of his own...

Imagine this keep on boiling for a decade.

Now, that's like how we are o0)

Likes WWGD and dlgoff
  • #2,943
Rive said:
[...] yet nobody there has English as native language: [...]
Many decades ago, I and some of my colleagues were trying to understand a technical manual for some Japanese equipment. It was written in what we called "Jinglish" (Japanese English).

The strangest thing is that if one of us was to read the manual aloud, simulating a thick Japanese accent, and punctuated with lots of "and..ah...", the content became easier for the others to understand. Go figure.

(True story.)

• Informative
Likes newbiegirl, WWGD, dlgoff and 1 other person
  • #2,944
I worked in Japan for a few months back in 2011. Most of the Japanese engineers had some English. I'm sure they made fun of our accents, though we were limited to "arrigato" and "ohio, gozaimass." The "residual heat removal system" was a real tongue twister for them.

We would get English translations of regulatory requirements, some of these we couldn't figure out. We asked the Japanese engineers if they could explain one of them. The first guy got the original Japanese version, puzzled it over, then called a colleague over, then another, pretty soon there was a huddle of six or eight engineers. The final consensus? "It is very difficult to say just what this means."

Likes WWGD
  • #2,945
TIL that these exist:

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 12.51.28 PM.png

Nice idea, I think.

Likes Rive and Bystander
  • #2,946
Today I learned that an 8 inch square cake baking pan has almost exactly the same volume as a 9 inch round one of the same depth. My wife had the former but the recipe called for the latter, so she asked me to calculate the difference, which turned out to be less than 0.6%. We'll soon discover how well it works.

Likes Craftek_Ana, collinsmark, Klystron and 2 others
  • #2,947
collinsmark said:
Hmm. Physics Fora. Physics Fora.

It does have sort of a ring to it.
Physics Fora Dults.

• Haha
Likes dabunting, Bystander and phinds
  • #2,948
WWGD said:
Physics Fora Dults.
Careful, careful.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and WWGD
  • #2,949
TIL there are bridges in India made of living tree roots:
Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 6.11.35 PM.png

Very cool. I want one.

Likes Borg and strangerep
  • #2,950
BillTre said:

Very cool. I want one.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Watson! Bill is a nickname which points to North America, maybe Australia or New Zealand. Now none of them has a (sufficiently hot and wet) climate where such trees would grow. I conclude: no bridge for you, Bill.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
  • #2,951
BillTre said:

Very cool. I want one.
... on the other hand: hemp could work :cool:
However, depending on location this could lead to a completely different kind of problems.

Likes Drakkith
  • #2,952
I live in Oregon. The Bill name came from some UK area.
I could imagine doing this in Hawaii or possibly in the Olympic peninsula (its a temperate rain froest there).
Since I'm in the US and have visited Hawaii a few times, I claim that as reasonably possible.
Hawaii has the right kind of vegetation. Not so sure about The Olympic Peninsula.

• #2,953
I don't think hemp would have the longevity to get it done right.
Nor have I seen hemp stems (or roots) fusing together like they do in these bridges.

• #2,954
BillTre said:
I live in Oregon. The Bill name came from some UK area.
I could imagine doing this in Hawaii or possibly in the Olympic peninsula (its a temperate rain froest there).
Since I'm in the US and have visited Hawaii a few times, I claim that as reasonably possible.
Hawaii has the right kind of vegetation. Not so sure about The Olympic Peninsula.
Haven't thought of Hawaii. But as I thought a bit, I know roots which would definitely work!
Blackberries!

• #2,955
BillTre said:
I don't think hemp would have the longevity to get it done right.
Nor have I seen hemp stems (or roots) fusing together like they do in these bridges.
Not roots, but the fibers are strong and one can make cloths of it. And it grows like crazy.

• #2,956
Reminds me of a National Geographic I got as a kid.
The cover had a guy with a mule in front of a bunch of pot (hemp) plants that were 30-40 foot tall.

Likes Klystron
  • #2,959
That's what the CNN article I read said.
However, I see no reason to feel limited on this.

• #2,960
BillTre said:
That's what the CNN article I read said.
However, I see no reason to feel limited on this.
Try blackberries. I remember once I wanted to remove a bush with a friend somewhere, and as it came to its roots, we ended up 50 m further downhill! That thing seemed to stop nowhere.

• #2,961
I have a few wisteria plants (which I have grown from seed).

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 6.42.35 PM.png

The veins grow really well once established, can get quite thick and strong, and can fuse together.
A couple years ago I wanted to make them grow into a canopy over the backyard. Sadly the wife was against this. Establishing an initial support for it would have to have been worked out.

There are also some kind of oak trees around here which are very flexible and can easily be bent into a variety of shapes.

Blackberries grow great, but I don't think they fuse together (making them stronger). Plus, they have lots of spines. Can't use barefoot.
The favored way to remove blackberries around here is to stake out goats in the middle of a blackberry patch. Come back in a week or two.

• #2,962
Today I learned that, for depression, Trazedone may reduce apnea events, while Venlafaxine may increase them.

• #2,963
I bet those bridges had some schedule overruns!

Likes Klystron and BillTre
  • #2,964
TIL there's a vagina museum in London.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.53.41 AM.png

NY Times story here.
The article makes note of a Phallological Museum in Iceland.

• #2,965
god damn it..I was just having a snack :s

• Haha
Likes phinds
  • #2,966
BillTre said:

View attachment 253158

NY Times story here.
Oh... My... Bog. I glanced at the article in this morning's NYT but seeing the photo here I realize the center sculpture depicts a giant used tampon. One hesitates to imagine the phallic museum equivalent. :cool:

• #2,967
BillTre said:
I never thought I'd say this, given my tendency toward off-colour jokes,... but,...

Congratulations. You've exposed the exact location of my vomit threshold. :oldruck:

• #2,968
strangerep said:
I never thought I'd say this, given my tendency toward off-colour jokes,... but,...

Congratulations. You've exposed the exact location of my vomit threshold. :oldruck:

Try the National Museum of Health and Medicine, in Silver Spring, MD.

• #2,969
BillTre said:

View attachment 253158

NY Times story here.
Sometimes you can know too much!

• #2,970
chemisttree said:
Sometimes you can know too much!
Yes. We need a complimentary thread: "Today I wished I could forget..."

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, dlgoff, mfb and 4 others
  • #2,971
fresh_42 said:
Not roots, but the fibers are strong and one can make cloths of it. And it grows like crazy
weeds.
Fixed that for ya. . . .🚭. 😏

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #2,972
Lol. . . Gene Watson released this song in 1975, and for 44 years now, I've been

wondering exactly what. . ."the street vendor cries"But, now I know. . . . 😌

• #2,973
Today I learned more than 80% of our ocean is unmapped, unobserved, and unexplored

• #2,974
Only for loose definitions of "unmapped" and "unobserved".