Trying to Understand Light in Motion: A Frustrating Puzzle

In summary, the train cabin should receive light from both the front and back of the train at the same time. However, it is difficult to understand how to make this happen.

solarflare said:
take the position of the train when it is in the centre of the platform -

and run the scenario for both observers - the result comes out the same.

if the strikes occur when r1 = r2 then a simple triangle shows that they must occur in both frames simultaneously but at different times.
I have proven this false multiple times already. If you disagree then please point out the error in my proof or provide your own formal proof of the contrary for my review.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

solarflare said:
they must be simultaneous in the trains frame also because that is where the strikes take place.

and because they hit the train simultaneously in the trains frame the train passenger will aslo see them simultaneously
Proven false.

Muphrid said:
Additionally, solarflare, tell me what you think would happen if we took your spaceship scenario and changed it like this:

The moving ship is halfway between the two targets and moving with velocity V toward the upper target at the moment the two targets are struck and obliterated.

let me ask you what you think would happen - and then ill respond to that

by the way the targets are attached to the ship - therefore the targets move with the ship

but let's say that the ship was moving with velocity C and at the time of impact it was in the current position

1) what is the frame of reference
2) what does each observer see

solarflare said:
but let's say that the ship was moving with velocity C and at the time of impact it was in the current position
The ship will not be moving at the speed of light.

Rather that confuse things even more by changing scenarios, I suggest that you stick with the train example until you understand it.

Doc Al said:
The ship will not be moving at the speed of light.

Rather that confuse things even more by changing scenarios, I suggest that you stick with the train example until you understand it.

ok say velocity v

or just say it was moving at 500kph

A--------------------B------------------------------------- C

---------------------0 -------------------------------------
)-------------------/---------------------------------------/
)-----------------I----------------------------------------D
)-------------------\---------------------------------------\

the spaceship at point B is moving with velocity V towards the letter B

the lasers hit the targets simultaneously at the point where the ship currently is

solarflare said:
by the way the targets are attached to the ship - therefore the targets move with the ship

Not necessary, and in fact, I think this is what's confusing you.

Code:
                                    30 units
                          |==============================|
 Laser cannon
 |---                     0 Target
 |  \                      
 |  |                                                    
 |  |                                                    #
 |  |             Small -># +Y-velocity beta = 0.9       #<-Stationary other ship
 |  |              Ship     ]                            #
 |  |                       |-3 units
 |  /                       ]                            
 Laser cannon

|====================|
          20 units

This diagram is in the frame of the stationary other ship. At some time [itex]t=0[/itex] in the stationary ship's frame, the stationary ship detects two flashes from the targets being obliterated by the laser cannons. The stationary ship knows, based on the sizes of these explosions, that it was equidistant from both explosions, so it concludes that the targets were obliterated at [itex]t = -30.15[/itex] units.

The small ship is traveling at [itex]\beta = 0.9[/itex] between the targets, which are confined to a line but otherwise have thrusters that allow them to move in an arbitrary manner along that line. The stationary ship monitors the small ship's trajectory and believes that the small ship was equidistant from the targets at [itex]t = -30.15[/itex], the time both targets were obliterated. If the stationary other ship is at [itex]y = 0[/itex], then it believes the light from the upper target will reach the small moving ship at [itex]t = -30.15 + 1.58[/itex], or [itex]1.58[/itex] units of time after the explosion, and at [itex]y = 1.42[/itex]. It also believes that the flash from the lower target will reach the small moving ship at [itex]t = -30.15 + 30[/itex], a full 30 units of time after the targets were obliterated, at [itex]y = 27[/itex].

Let's stop here before we go any further. Do you agree with the conclusions I have reached so far?

Originally Posted by solarflare View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not necessary, and in fact, I think this is what's confusing you.the train was a solid object - why can't my ship be?

solarflare said:
A--------------------B------------------------------------- C

)-------------------/---------------------------------------/
)-----------------I----------------------------------------D
)-------------------\---------------------------------------\

the spaceship at point B is moving with velocity V towards the letter B

the lasers hit the targets simultaneously at the point where the ship currently is
Sounds like scenario B in my post #185. Can you verify?

Is that "towards the letter B" a typo?

Doc Al said:
Sounds like scenario B in my post #185. Can you verify?

Is that "towards the letter B" a typo?

it is moving from the bottom of the page towards the top of the page

the train was a solid object - why can't my ship be?

Because it makes no difference to the math how the targets are moving or whether they're rigidly attached to the ship. If you want, imagine that the targets are rigidly attached. I will work the problem as if we can't assume that--a general case.

Do you agree with my conclusions thus far?

Muphrid said:
Because it makes no difference to the math how the targets are moving or whether they're rigidly attached to the ship. If you want, imagine that the targets are rigidly attached. I will work the problem as if we can't assume that--a general case.

well if it makes no difference to the math - why not do it my way instead

i believe that it does make a difference to the outcome because there will be 3 objects instead of one

seems more compicated and i thought the idea was to keep it simple

solarflare said:
well if it makes no difference to the math - why not do it my way instead

Because you've repeatedly tried to argue that because the objects are all connected then there must be simultaneity in that comoving frame. I will show you that whether the objects are connected or not the math is the same and there is no simultaneity in that frame.

Do you agree with my conclusions about the system thus far?

solarflare said:
take the position of the train when it is in the centre of the platform -

and run the scenario for both observers - the result comes out the same.

if the strikes occur when r1 = r2 then a simple triangle shows that they must occur in both frames simultaneously but at different times.
I am still waiting for your attempted proof of this. You make assertions that not only cannot be proven, they have already been disproven.

All the images from the first minute of the video that I previously posted were described as being in the platform frame. Now I'm going to show the images that are described as being in the train frame after the first minute.

Note in the first image that the platform observer is standing in relative darkness and then the first lightning strike occurs and it illuminates the entire scene, even casting a shadow of the observer! Are we to believe that the observer is not at this point seeing the lightning? Now look at the third image. Here we see the beginning of the expanding sphere of light.

Attachments

• trainQ.JPG
    trainQ.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 355
  • trainR.JPG
    trainR.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 340
  • trainS.JPG
    trainS.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 322

Now the scene goes dark again as the expanding sphere of light gets bigger until it reaches to the observer in the middle of the train but it quickly fades away before it gets to the platform observer. So apparently, we are supposed to believe that the platform observer saw the first lightning bolt earlier.

Attachments

• trainV.JPG
    trainV.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 309
  • trainU.JPG
    trainU.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 348
  • trainT.JPG
    trainT.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 301

Just as quickly as the flash from the first lightning bolt fades away, the flash from the second lightning bolt illuminates the entire scene, casting another shadow just as the first bolt but in a different direction. Then the expanding sphere starts from the rear of the train car and by the time it reaches the platform observer the scene has gone dark again. So which one represents when the observer actually sees the flash?

Attachments

• trainW.JPG
    trainW.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 318
  • trainX.JPG
    trainX.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 326
  • trainY.JPG
    trainY.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 294

Finally, the expanding sphere of light reaches the train observer.

Attachments

• trainZ.JPG
    trainZ.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 361

If you look over all the posts of the images from the video, you see that none of them depicts anything resembling what either observer actually sees nor what either frame describes. In fact, I can see why solarflare would come to the conclusion, based on this video, that what the observers see is frame dependent and that the platform frame applies only to the platform observer and the train frame applies only to the train observer.

This video was discussed in detail a couple years ago in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2597760#post2597760

And at least part of it was deemed "misleading and sloppy" by Doc Al. I say that is true of the entire video. I would not recommend it to anyone except as an example of how someone with great video capabilities can produce a piece of junk.

Now if you look on the next page of the link I posted above, you will see another link in post #70 where yuiop (formerly kev) posted an animation that he made that depicts correctly how each frame determines what is happening in the scenario "described" in the video. It's not fancy like the video, but it's accurate. Here is a repeat of the link to the train animation:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/kev2001_photos/Etrain2e.gif

Muphrid said:

take a look at post 25 (my post) and then at post 28 (doc al's post )

by making the the targets separate you are trying to avoid this situation

and if george is right that this was discussed before and doc al admitted the video was not accurate then - then why when i said it this time why did he say it was accurate?

ghwellsjr said:
This video was discussed in detail a couple years ago in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2597760#post2597760

And at least part of it was deemed "misleading and sloppy" by Doc Al. I say that is true of the entire video. I would not recommend it to anyone except as an example of how someone with great video capabilities can produce a piece of junk.

Now if you look on the next page of the link I posted above, you will see another link in post #70 where yuiop (formerly kev) posted an animation that he made that depicts correctly how each frame determines what is happening in the scenario "described" in the video. It's not fancy like the video, but it's accurate. Here is a repeat of the link to the train animation:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/kev2001_photos/Etrain2e.gif

actually now it all makes sense to me - you do know that it is wrong but instead of just admitting it you worked out a way of avoiding the situation my making the flash points independent so that you could argue that they do not have to adhere to the part of rellativity that proves it wrong.

C.L.GOLDING ( just copying george :-) )

Muphrid said:
Not necessary, and in fact, I think this is what's confusing you.

Code:
                                    30 units
                          |==============================|
 Laser cannon
 |  \                      
 |  |                                                    
 |  |                                                    #
 |  |             Small -># +Y-velocity beta = 0.9       #<-Stationary other ship
 |  |              Ship     ]                            #
 |  |                       |-3 units
 |  /                       ]                            
 Laser cannon

|====================|
          20 units

This diagram is in the frame of the stationary other ship. At some time [itex]t=0[/itex] in the stationary ship's frame, the stationary ship detects two flashes from the targets being obliterated by the laser cannons. The stationary ship knows, based on the sizes of these explosions, that it was equidistant from both explosions, so it concludes that the targets were obliterated at [itex]t = -30.15[/itex] units.

The small ship is traveling at [itex]\beta = 0.9[/itex] between the targets, which are confined to a line but otherwise have thrusters that allow them to move in an arbitrary manner along that line. The stationary ship monitors the small ship's trajectory and believes that the small ship was equidistant from the targets at [itex]t = -30.15[/itex], the time both targets were obliterated. If the stationary other ship is at [itex]y = 0[/itex], then it believes the light from the upper target will reach the small moving ship at [itex]t = -30.15 + 1.58[/itex], or [itex]1.58[/itex] units of time after the explosion, and at [itex]y = 1.42[/itex]. It also believes that the flash from the lower target will reach the small moving ship at [itex]t = -30.15 + 30[/itex], a full 30 units of time after the targets were obliterated, at [itex]y = 27[/itex].

Let's stop here before we go any further. Do you agree with the conclusions I have reached so far?

the first paragraph i agree with -

the second paragraph i do not agree with - the train was a single object - (see posts 25 and 28 )

solarflare said:
take a look at post 25 (my post) and then at post 28 (doc al's post )

by making the the targets separate you are trying to avoid this situation

and if george is right that this was discussed before and doc al admitted the video was not accurate then - then why when i said it this time why did he say it was accurate?

Because you made it sound like you were saying "let's assume the strikes happen at the same time in the train's frame of reference". The response was consistent with this statement, not realizing that you were implicitly contradicting that the strikes were meant to be simultaneous in the frame of the platform observer.

The point you're missing is that when we say the "train's" frame of reference, we mean "a reference frame going with the same velocity of the train observer". Because the train is a rigid object, we don't often distinguish between the frame of the train and the frame of the train observer, but when asking about simultaneity, it's much clearer to go back to the observer, not the train as an extended object.

Again, it is not important that the strikes actually hit the train (instead of, say, two adjacent points on the ground or two points on another passing train). All that matter are the position and time that the light from these lightning strikes originates from--the sources of these light rays are single points in spacetime.

So yes, I am trying to avoid the situation because you keep attributing false meaning to both strikes hitting the train. So, to further probe this point, perhaps you can clarify for me what the difference between the following three scenarios would be in your opinion:

a) The two strikes hit the train simultaneous in the platform observer's frame
b) The two strikes hit points on the platform that are also equidistant from the platform observer and simultaneous in the platform observer's frame
c) The two strikes hit points on a second passing train (with different velocity from the firs train) that are also equidistant from the platform observer and simultaneous in the platform observer's frame

Do any of these scenarios imply something about simultaneity in the reference frame of the train observer that the others do not? As I've made abundantly clear by now, I see no difference between these three scenarios.

the second paragraph i do not agree with - the train was a single object - (see posts 25 and 28 )

What about that do you disagree with? Nothing in that paragraph changes if the moving ship is tethered to the targets. That paragraph only consists of statements about what the stationary other ship thinks the moving ship will see.

the point is that the stationary observer is seeing an event where the ship ACTUALLY was hit simultaneously in that frame.

if your saying it doesn't matter then you are sayin reality has nothing to do with it - and if you say that then you also say relativity has nothing to do with reality

if they hit the platform and not the train then by the time the flashes move to where the train observer will see them - she will no longer be equidistant from the flashes- therefore she will see them separately.

look at my ship scenario

and instead of having the targets on middle ship have them on the stationary one

the big ship fires its lasers when the middle ship is in the centre - but by the time the flashes hit the stationary ship and move to meet the small ship - the small ship will no longer be equidistant from each flash.

Again, it is not important that the strikes actually hit the train (instead of, say, two adjacent points on the ground or two points on another passing train). All that matter are the position and time that the light from these lightning strikes originates from--the sources of these light rays are single points in spacetime.

So yes, I am trying to avoid the situation because you keep attributing false meaning to both strikes hitting the train. So, to further probe this point, perhaps you can clarify for me what the difference between the following three scenarios would be in your opinion:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------the things you say are not important - are

this is what i was saying about picking and choosing data - you can not decide what parts are and what are not important

Last edited:

Doc Al said:
Not true. (Unless those strikes are simultaneous in the platform frame.)

The strikes occur simultaneously in the platform frame.

Don't keep flipping back and forth between the two physically different scenarios:
(1) The lightning strikes are simultaneous in the platform frame.
(2) The lightning strikes are simultaneous in the train frame.

They cannot both be true. Stick to scenario 1 (as in the video) until you understand it.

my ship scenario shows just one physical scenario - but seen by two different observers

solarflare said:
my ship scenario shows just one physical scenario - but seen by two different observers
Even though I think it's a waste of time, I will ask you to describe your ship scenario in words. Your diagram is not self-explanatory.

Why do I think it's a waste of time? Because the train scenario is very easy to analyze yet you resist it. And it illustrates the relativity of simultaneity nicely.

And even after progress is made (if it ever is) with your ship scenario, you'll still have to go back and understand the Einstein train scenario.