UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary: Leslie Kean has written the book to prove them right. She takes us on a compelling journey from the earliest reports of unidentified flying objects to the most recent revelations, and she presents the evidence in an intelligent, well-organized, and convincing manner. I highly recommend UFOs to anyone with an interest in this complex and controversial topic.” —Donald E. Keyhoe, Ph.D., Former Director, USAF Scientific Advisory Committee In summary, Leslie Kean's new book investigates the phenomenon of UFOs and presents evidence that suggests the US government is aware of them and has been involved in some way.
My reservations with the UFO clan is that the term "UFO" has obviously been compromised. But there's also an issue with the terminology itself. "Flying" is a strong verb that's easy to personify. If natural phenomena may be responsible, there's all kinds of lighting effects to consider that really have nothing to do with flying.

Why not abandon the term UFO? The masses already instantly think alien. I can't help but think alien myself many times throughout this thread, even thought I know it's not. It's just so ingrained in our society by now that UFO means alien spaceship.

Hypothetical: If governments do really have advanced technology (it needn't even be space-craft... maybe a biotoxin that causes hallucinations, maybe fancy light tricks with a balloon... but sure, spacecraft too) then we'd only be making it easier for them to get away with it by continuing to use the word UFO.

When I was younger, I had my suspicions that the UFO craze was a type of cover-up itself, obscuring and distracting from a less interesting, but more important, incident.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean said:
Though I am still perplexed about this scenario. If the members of the Iranian Air Force were all lying (or group hallucinating) then there's an interesting story there anyway about humans.

Not necessarily, no doubt that all three saw "something", like the 14 year old boy who saw a pigeon crossing the big dipper. And no doubt that they honestly seek an explanation.

But maybe that one of the pilot is thinking, that he leaves the story of the total electrical failure as is, since it would be very humiliating to admit that the thing scares the h... out of him, and then some minor event occurred like the master caution light coming on for a switch set wrong or so, which triggered him to break off the intercept. You need a pretty good excuse to explain that to the general.

And the other pilot leaves the story of the missile launch failure and the failed ejection, maybe because he did not even realize that he made the errors himself.

And the General, well, he just saw the light.

Things like confirming radar contacts and other failures, well it could be so, it could also be confirmation bias.

Then the intelligence report, unaware of the plethora of illusions of (night) flying, especially things like autokinetic illusion just put on a 'highly credible' stamp on it. Who would not trust a general and his pilots?

Last edited:
jreelawg said:
Doesn't change the fact failed logic was used in the article.

Jreelawg, I'm not sure what you're getting at here. You could argue he used "weasel words," but that's really a description, not an actual point being made. I'm not sure I see your "failed logic."

jreelawg said:
All I care about is the substance. If you are going to argue that the proportion of sightings by astronomers says something about the UFO phenomena, then let's see the evidence. Then let's look closely at it, and discuss it.

Do you agree that there exists a community on Earth that looks up more often than the general public? You would expect a disproportionately large number of UFO reports from that community. But instead you see fewer than the normal ratio. I'll agree that this isn't "evidence" on it's own, but can't we agree that this points to a significant trend, and that this trend might have explanatory power?

Ivan Seeking said:
What are the chances of an ET encounter?

Answer: We have no idea. It may be a near certainty that we will encounter ETs.

Prove me wrong.

That's pretty easy. Given that there are no known methods of traveling faster than the speed of light, and assuming that the closest star system held intelligent life, they would still be confined to a 9 year round-trip. That's a best case scenario. In actuality, the trip would probably be much longer.

Again, we're not talking definites, but at a minimum, you can say that such a trip would be so amazingly inconvenient as to be much less likely than a "near certainty."

And before you fall into another fallacy: assuming that the odds of FTL travel being possible and practical are even (50:50) simply because it hasn't been done is not a scientifically valid position at this time (you would never think of the converse as being applicable to existing technology).

If you apply wishful thinking, you could make that number whatever you like, but applying a scientific eye to it, you must conclude that there is no reason to believe anyone in the universe is moving faster than c.

alt said:
His basic point is that throughout history, the realm of the supernatural has been sized precisely to fit what we do not understand and as our understanding of the natural world has increased, the realm of the supernatural has decreased.

That is much the same as saying that todays magic is tomorrows science.

No, because once science has revealed that "darkness" it's never replaced with the same thing. The lesson is not to presuppose magic under any circumstances, but instead to calm down your imagination and distance yourself from your perceptions.

Andre said:
Not necessarily, no doubt that all three saw "something", like the 14 year old boy who saw a pigeon crossing the big dipper. And no doubt that they honestly seek an explanation.

But maybe that one of the pilot is thinking, that he leaves the story of the total electrical failure as is, since it would be very humiliating to admit that the thing scares the h... out of him, and then some minor event occurred like the master caution light coming on for a switch set wrong or so, which triggered him to break off the intercept. You need a pretty good excuse to explain that to the general.

And the other pilot leaves the story of the missile launch failure and the failed ejection, maybe because he did not even realize that he made the errors himself.

And the General, well, he just saw the light.

Things like confirming radar contacts and other failures, well it could be so, it could also be confirmation bias.

Then the intelligence report, unaware of the plethora of illusions of (night) flying, especially things like autokinetic illusion just put on a 'highly credible' stamp on it. Who would not trust a general and his pilots?

This is an excellent summary. It requires nothing special for a full explanation. People who disregard this explanation need to reevaluate the reasons why they disregard it. Everything is covered and nothing is mystical, unexplained, or even unlikely. To try to bring it back into the realm of "the unknown" is wishful thinking. You "wish" it was unknown. But there's just nothing compelling here.

Russ has made some really clever points that seem to be falling through the cracks. He's correct in the fact that UFOs have always existed in the noise of the data we collect. If that were not true, then as measuring equipment increases, so should the quality of UFO reports. But they don't.

Think of "ghost EVPs." Audio recording technology has advanced 1000-fold since the first EVPs were "recorded." With this, you would expect that EVPs would be 1000-fold better. Yet, you must still crank up the gain, and listen to the white noise in the background to find ticks and scratches that could be misinterpreted as voices. EVPs are another noise-hunt just like UFOs.

Reuters: "http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS166901+15-Sep-2010+PRN20100915 "

WASHINGTON, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Witness testimony from more than 120 former or retired military personnel points to an ongoing and alarming intervention by unidentified aerial objects at nuclear weapons sites, as recently as 2003. In some cases, several nuclear missiles simultaneously and inexplicably malfunctioned while a disc-shaped object silently hovered nearby. Six former U.S. Air Force officers and one former enlisted man will break their silence about these events at the National Press Club and urge the government to publicly confirm their reality.

One of them, ICBM launch officer Captain Robert Salas, was on duty during one missile disruption incident at Malmstrom Air Force Base and was ordered to never discuss it. Another participant, retired Col. Charles Halt, observed a disc-shaped object directing beams of light down into the RAF Bentwaters airbase in England and heard on the radio that they landed in the nuclear weapons storage area. Both men will provide stunning details about these events, and reveal how the U.S. military responded.

Captain Salas notes, "The U.S. Air Force is lying about the national security implications of unidentified aerial objects at nuclear bases and we can prove it." Col. Halt adds, "I believe that the security services of both the United States and the United Kingdom have attempted—both then and now—to subvert the significance of what occurred at RAF Bentwaters by the use of well-practiced methods of disinformation."

The group of witnesses and a leading researcher, who has brought them together for the first time, will discuss the national security implications of these and other alarmingly similar incidents and will urge the government to reveal all information about them. This is a public-awareness issue.

Declassified U.S. government documents, to be distributed at the event, now substantiate the reality of UFO activity at nuclear weapons sites extending back to 1948. The press conference will also address present-day concerns about the abuse of government secrecy as well as the ongoing threat of nuclear weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
Not necessarily

Even if all your guesses come together to accurately portray what happened, it's still interesting (at least to me) that everyone converged on a belief as they did. You have to consider that my field of interest is neuroscience.

This is in contrast to (for instance) religious beliefs that people are raised to believe from birth.

You'd also have to consider the investigations afterwards, where a team went to examine the ground where a "pod" supposedly landed from the main "ship" and found some radioactive activity (that report was never declassified).

wikipedia said:
The next day, the F-4 crew flew out in a helicopter to the site where they had seen the smaller object land. In the daylight, it was determined to be a dry lake bed, but no traces could be seen. They then circled the area to the west and picked up a noticeable "beeper" signal. The signal was loudest near a small house, so they landed and questioned the occupants of the house about any unusual events of the previous night. They reported a loud noise and a bright light like lightning.
Further investigation of the landing site, including radiation testing of the area was apparently done, but the results were never made public. Since this event occurred before the fall of the Shah, any records in Tehran itself may be lost.

You also haven't factored in the numerous reports from civilians that night (i.e. this is even more interesting as a group hallucination.)

Ironically, Jupiter was just out recently (as it was on the night of the Tehran incident) and I went to the local mountain top with some friends and viewed it with a telescope (we could see it's rings and moon! Very exciting!). Even without the telescope you could see it because it has a kind of orange hue to it, as if it were reflecting city light from the Earth. It does look unnaturally close because of the light reflections!

Pythagorean said:
Even if all your guesses come together to accurately portray what happened, it's still interesting (at least to me) that everyone converged on a belief as they did. You have to consider that my field of interest is neuroscience.

Well understood as "confirmation bias." Watch an episode of Ghost Hunters for examples.

• Person A: "Did you just see that woman?"
  • Person B: "What? Oh! Yeah! Woah!"
  • Person A (later): "Remember when we both saw that woman?"
  • Person B: "Yeah, that was crazy."
Pythagorean said:
Ironically, Jupiter was just out recently (as it was on the night of the Tehran incident) and I went to the local mountain top with some friends and viewed it with a telescope (we could see it's rings and moon! Very exciting!). Even without the telescope you could see it because it has a kind of orange hue to it, as if it were reflecting city light from the Earth. It does look unnaturally close because of the light reflections!

That's not "ironic" it's just "coincidental." Furthermore, you didn't see the rings of Jupiter. Sorry, not trying to be rude. But you didn't. This is an awesome case of misidentification. The best part, is I'm sure all of your friends would back you up. You would all swear to what you saw, and if someone interviewed you, it would be reported as a group case. And if someone accused you of "illusion, confusion, or hallucination" you would surely tell them how wrong they are.

You've proved exactly how UFO myths get started with a single post.

eupeptic said:
Reuters: "http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS166901+15-Sep-2010+PRN20100915 "

The worst thing you can do to get a clear picture of what happened is bring witnesses together! This is just begging to be rendered useless. There could be a real event that happened here, and a real story... but because of the way its being handled, we'll never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
FlexGunship said:
Furthermore, you didn't see the rings of Jupiter. Sorry, not trying to be rude. But you didn't. This is an awesome case of misidentification. The best part, is I'm sure all of your friends would back you up. You would all swear to what you saw, and if someone interviewed you, it would be reported as a group case. And if someone accused you of "illusion, confusion, or hallucination" you would surely tell them how wrong they are.

You've proved exactly how UFO myths get started with a single post.

I really don't know. I'm not an astronomer, but it was a pretty good telescope (it wouldn't fit in a smart car, for instance) that came from the university astronomy department.

How can you even guess what telescope I was using and whether it would see the rings or not? I'm truly interested in your thought process here. Can no mobile telescope's see the rings? I only saw one grey stripe, personally, but it was definitely there, ring or not.

Pythagorean said:
I really don't know. I'm not an astronomer, but it was a pretty good telescope (it wouldn't fit in a smart car, for instance) that came from the university astronomy department.

How can you even guess what telescope I was using and whether it would see the rings or not? I'm truly interested in your thought process here. Can no mobile telescope's see the rings? I only saw one grey stripe, personally, but it was definitely there, ring or not.

Stripes, I can believe. My point is that you had misclassified what you saw, like so many thousands of other people. It's not a crime, and you shouldn't be embarrassed... but we should all recognize it's common. Many people look into the sky and misidentify things they see, or even simply call them by the wrong name.

The rings off Jupiter weren't discovered until 1979 by the Voyager 1 probe. They are not even visible from Earth through observatory-sized optical telescopes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Jupiter) So, unless you're rockin' the Hubble in your backyard, I have a strong feeling you didn't see Jupiter's rings.

FlexGunship said:
Stripes, I can believe. My point is that you had misclassified what you saw, like so many thousands of other people. It's not a crime, and you shouldn't be embarrassed... but we should all recognize it's common.

The rings off Jupiter weren't discovered until 1979 by the Voyager 1 probe. They are not even visible from Earth through observatory-sized optical telescopes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Jupiter) So, unless you're rockin' the Hubble in your backyard, I have a strong feeling you didn't see Jupiter's rings.

I'm not really that embarrassed, the astronomy lab assistant is the one who said it was probably a ring and I'm not like, trying to make a point of it, i mentioned it casually. I wouldn't, for instance, file a report with the US military asserting that I had seen the rings of Jupiter. I don't think the lab assistant would be very offended either, honestly.

This is the large difference between our incident and the incident in Tehran, so I don't think it's really comparable. Even "Ghost Hunters" is completely based on ratings and entertainment. The Iranian military is not in either of those positions, they have a lot more to be accountable for than girls giggling about ghosts and how many people are watching during the commercial break.

FlexGunship said:
Do you agree that there exists a community on Earth that looks up more often than the general public? You would expect a disproportionately large number of UFO reports from that community. But instead you see fewer than the normal ratio. I'll agree that this isn't "evidence" on it's own, but can't we agree that this points to a significant trend, and that this trend might have explanatory power?

Again, we're not talking definites, but at a minimum, you can say that such a trip would be so amazingly inconvenient as to be much less likely than a "near certainty."

If you apply wishful thinking, you could make that number whatever you like, but applying a scientific eye to it, you must conclude that there is no reason to believe anyone in the universe is moving faster than c.

I'm just saying that I have seen no data which suggests astronomers don't report seeing UFO's. All studies I could find suggest they do see UFO's. The proportion is different depending on the few studies you look at, but I can't find any which suggest incredibly low proportions. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim, and I see no proof. If we can look at some data, then we can be objective, and there could be a whole thread on this discussion alone.

Likeliness of ET visiting Earth is another issue all together. FTL travel is not a necessity, and worm holes aren't either.

I think what Ivan was getting at with his point about the likeliness, is that we don't know the details. The likeliness can dramatically change depending on circumstances unknown to us. With such uncertainty about circumstantial factors the likeliness becomes a subjective value.

Last edited:
jreelawg said:
I think what Ivan was getting at with his point about the likeliness, is that we don't know the details. The likeliness can dramatically change depending on circumstances unknown to us. With such uncertainty about circumstantial factors the likeliness becomes a subjective value.

Still, there is a default value. You're allowed to say "I don't know." But if you must make a guess, then it should coincide with the best data available. We see nothing moving faster than the speed of light, so, although we can't draw a conclusion for sure, the default position is that ETs would have a very very very hard time getting to us.

Just because we don't know for sure, doesn't mean all options are equally likely.

FlexGunship said:
The worst thing you can do to get a clear picture of what happened is bring witnesses together! This is just begging to be rendered useless. There could be a real event that happened here, and a real story... but because of the way its being handled, we'll never know.

...Which, when you think about it, would make the entire story laughable and a great false cover if there was an issue with Nuclear weapons storage (which I doubt). Perhaps we should consider that pilots and generals believe that the persistence of UFO's remaining "U" is a useful card to have in the deck?

FlexGunship said:
Still, there is a default value. You're allowed to say "I don't know." But if you must make a guess, then it should coincide with the best data available. We see nothing moving faster than the speed of light, so, although we can't draw a conclusion for sure, the default position is that ETs would have a very very very hard time getting to us.

Just because we don't know for sure, doesn't mean all options are equally likely.

Like I already said, FTL travel wouldn't be necessary for interstellar travel. There are a variety of possible circumstances which include ET visitation, without physics being violated.

The argument ends up pivoting on speculated ET motives and behavior.

What is an alternative scenario that includes ET visitation but excludes FTL?

nismaratwork said:
...Which, when you think about it, would make the entire story laughable and a great false cover if there was an issue with Nuclear weapons storage (which I doubt). Perhaps we should consider that pilots and generals believe that the persistence of UFO's remaining "U" is a useful card to have in the deck?

That's actually an interesting point. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy (I.e. pilots and generals acting in concert with a clear motive). It could simply be that the government in general finds no effort to explain better than advancing any particular theory.

FlexGunship said:
That's actually an interesting point. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy (I.e. pilots and generals acting in concert with a clear motive). It could simply be that the government in general finds no effort to explain better than advancing any particular theory.

Yep, and the random sightings of pigeons and other explicable phenomena make it a perfect choice of cover when the need arises. They exert 0 effort, and confusion sets in immediately, even amongst such smarty pants as those present. :biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
Yep, and the random sightings of pigeons and other explicable phenomena make it a perfect choice of cover when the need arises. They exert 0 effort, and confusion sets in immediately, even amongst such smarty pants as those present. :biggrin:

Sigh... that's not quite the point I was trying to make. I wasn't introducing a "need" that could "arise."

FlexGunship said:
Sigh... that's not quite the point I was trying to make. I wasn't introducing a "need" that could "arise."

Why not? The F-117 was the subject of UFO sightings when it was in development, and simply by keeping quiet there was an introduction of confusion that would not otherwise exist.

nismaratwork said:
Why not? The F-117 was the subject of UFO sightings when it was in development, and simply by keeping quiet there was an introduction of confusion that would not otherwise exist.

Still, you're implying collusion. I don't think you need a mechanism like collusion to accomplish this. I'll see if I can draw a parallel"

A store has really crappy shelves and sometimes the food falls off the shelf. Slowly, overtime, customers attribute it to wearing certain kinds of clothing, and speaking too loudly (see Skinner's pigeon superstition). So, without enacting any kind of store policy, or supporting the superstition, people simply start talking quietly and never wearing red at the store.​

No one would argue that the store actually had something to gain here, but taking a stance in either direction is more effort than it's worth. Is there a benefit to a quieter store? It's debatable at best, but probably not. The store doesn't have to have a motive to simply decide not to do anything.

FlexGunship said:
Still, you're implying collusion. I don't think you need a mechanism like collusion to accomplish this. I'll see if I can draw a parallel"

A store has really crappy shelves and sometimes the food falls off the shelf. Slowly, overtime, customers attribute it to wearing certain kinds of clothing, and speaking too loudly (see Skinner's pigeon superstition). So, without enacting any kind of store policy, or supporting the superstition, people simply start talking quietly and never wearing red at the store.​

No one would argue that the store actually had something to gain here, but taking a stance in either direction is more effort than it's worth. Is there a benefit to a quieter store? It's debatable at best, but probably not. The store doesn't have to have a motive to simply decide not to do anything.

I'm really saying the same thing, but pointing out that in the past in THIS case, still without collusion or a conspiracy, it HAS had benefits. To think that experiencing benefits without forming a motive is probably naive. Just think of it, if you have another country which sends a spy-plane over US soil, an event that would normally be quite the bruhaha... you can not comment these days! Before anyone can ask the right questions and be met with "no comment", nuts are already claiming to have had their bungholes probed. In short, the public acts as chaff for any sighting, not an evidence-gathering organism. The few people who CAN accurately assess these matters are generally busy debunking pigeons and lens-flares. When they have something real, like ball lightning or a weather balloon, people are suspicious because it sounds so mundane. If 99% of these events are explicable by mundane means, that other 1% is bound to be obscured, and a small percentage of that 1% will be test-flights, and more.

This is a purely social construct, self-sustaining, which requires no change in behavior from any entity.

nismaratwork said:
I'm really saying the same thing, but pointing out that in the past in THIS case, still without collusion or a conspiracy, it HAS had benefits. To think that experiencing benefits without forming a motive is probably naive. Just think of it, if you have another country which sends a spy-plane over US soil, an event that would normally be quite the bruhaha... you can not comment these days! Before anyone can ask the right questions and be met with "no comment", nuts are already claiming to have had their bungholes probed. In short, the public acts as chaff for any sighting, not an evidence-gathering organism. The few people who CAN accurately assess these matters are generally busy debunking pigeons and lens-flares. When they have something real, like ball lightning or a weather balloon, people are suspicious because it sounds so mundane.

Cautiously agree.

nismaratwork said:
If 99% of these events are explicable by mundane means, that other 1% is bound to be obscured, and a small percentage of that 1% will be test-flights, and more.

I think it's more than a small percentage of that 1% is still mundane; probably two mundane things happening at the same time.

nismaratwork said:
This is a purely social construct, self-sustaining, which requires no change in behavior from any entity.

Strongly agree.

FlexGunship said:
Cautiously agree.

I think it's more than a small percentage of that 1% is still mundane; probably two mundane things happening at the same time.

Strongly agree.

In theory it could be 99.9% or more mundane... after all there are only a handful of truly unexplained phenomena, such as ball lightning. The number of test flights that would be observed, or anything like that would be a minuscule fraction, but even then it makes no sense as long as there is no panic for the government to waste resources exploring every one of these. Given the propagation of 8+ megapixel cameras in phones, you'd think that the UFOligist would be dissapointed by the lack of a similar increase in recorded "sightings". In fact, most video just supports the premise that these are explicable phenomena which are being misinterpreted.

So yeah, I agree with your premise as well.

nismaratwork said:
... If 99% of these events are explicable by mundane means, that other 1% is bound to be obscured, and a small percentage of that 1% will be test-flights, and more.

It is self-sustaining as a purely social construct, but is not necessarily a purely social construct. The level of obscurity could be intentionally altered.

jreelawg said:
It is self-sustaining as a purely social construct, but is not necessarily a purely social construct. The level of obscurity could be intentionally altered.

Jreelawg, Nismar and I were making so much progress. We had gotten rid of all of the conspiratorial thinking, had removed the mystical coverings, and had settled on a thin line where conjecture need not impart undue strain on fact.

...and then you post this...

:frown:

FlexGunship said:
Jreelawg, Nismar and I were making so much progress. We had gotten rid of all of the conspiratorial thinking, had removed the mystical coverings, and had settled on a thin line where conjecture need not impart undue strain on fact.

...and then you post this...

:frown:

*the sound of hope dying* :cry:

jreelawg said:

And the level of obscurity can be sustained - ramped up if needed, to hide advanced military technology, that's going to be seen inadvertantly, once in a while.

alt said:
And the level of obscurity can be sustained - ramped up if needed, to hide advanced military technology, that's going to be seen inadvertantly, once in a while.

The point however is that there's no NEED. This "chaff' effect is created by, and maintained ENTIRELY as an emergent social construction; there is no man behind the curtain. The situation as it exists is akin to flying above cloud-cover, versus putting a mechanism in place to CREATE and modify that cover.

nismaratwork said:
The point however is that there's no NEED. This "chaff' effect is created by, and maintained ENTIRELY as an emergent social construction; there is no man behind the curtain. The situation as it exists is akin to flying above cloud-cover, versus putting a mechanism in place to CREATE and modify that cover.

Well, yes, possible - 'enough is as good as a feast', as my old dad used to say !

alt said:
Well, yes, possible - 'enough is as good as a feast', as my old dad used to say !

Exactly! Remember, if there is no interference from authorities, then they have the added benefit of literally having no link to the "conspiracy" theories! Now, one example where you and Jared are clearly RIGHT, is the issue of Area 51; not that it's anything special, but the focus on it. It seems clear that the work done there has been moved to a number of different regions, but as long as public focus remains on this iconic area... so much the better.

There's also the possibility that as much as there is no need for even the smallest amount of conspiracy or organized action, that someone (other than Orson Welles) would still take advantage of this public readiness to perceive a vast conspiracy of alien or terrestrial origin. Who knows... stranger things have happened, but I still tend towards Flex's view of this one.

nismaratwork said:
Exactly! Remember, if there is no interference from authorities, then they have the added benefit of literally having no link to the "conspiracy" theories! Now, one example where you and Jared are clearly RIGHT, is the issue of Area 51; not that it's anything special, but the focus on it. It seems clear that the work done there has been moved to a number of different regions, but as long as public focus remains on this iconic area... so much the better.

There's also the possibility that as much as there is no need for even the smallest amount of conspiracy or organized action, that someone (other than Orson Welles) would still take advantage of this public readiness to perceive a vast conspiracy of alien or terrestrial origin.

I have heard so much conjecture over 'area 51, seen so many links, so many books, that I don't believe I've ever read one page - opened one link .. upon the presumption that if there was anything to it, particularly of the purported import, we would hear and know ZIP about it.

Who knows... stranger things have happened, but I still tend towards Flex's view of this one.

Yikes ! Mr Gunship will be along any moment now, to lament how we've skuttled his recent 'considerable' progress .. sorry Fkex ..

For what's worth I have had numerous talks with a good friend and colleague in the USAF who flew the F-117 in the secret period. From the many anecdotes he told I infer that the secrecy went to great lenghts and I would not be surprized if some officials were very happy with the alien-ufo twist.

FlexGunship said:
What is an alternative scenario that includes ET visitation but excludes FTL?

PROJECT LONGSHOT

AN UNMANNED PROBE TO ALPHA CENTAURI​
"The probe would be assembled at the space station and take approximately 100 years to reach the nearest star"

"Our Probe will be a completely autonomous design based upon a combination of current technology and technological advances which can reasonably be expected to be developed over the next 20 to 30 years. The expected launch date is the next century with a transit time of 100 years."

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19890007533_1989007533.pdf

Isn't that a bit of a longshot?

For that, I think, you'd have to extend the Drake Equation with another factor limiting the range to an infinitesimal small fraction, if it wasn't meaningless in the first place.

Speaking of which, I think that the number of terrestrial planet suitable of bearing life does not deal with going though the "chaotic zone", which is likely to harass any life processes on that planet. So than number may be much smaller still.

Last edited:
alt said:

No.

nismaratwork said:

Yes.

alt said:
Yikes ! Mr Gunship will be along any moment now, to lament how we've skuttled his recent...

To you buddy, that's MR. GUNSH--- oh, er, nevermind...

Andre said:
Isn't that a bit of a longshot?

Wow... I can't believe I laughed at that.