What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
Math Jeans said:
Christmas came early for me. The seed that I planted in a cup that I put in my gecko's cage sprouted last night! Woo hoo!
Too cool! Remember that chilies like heat, they don't like too much water, and they fruit better when you don't give them lots of nitrogen. If you give them high-nitrogen soils, they will produce lots of leaves and fewer peppers. You have to keep these guys stressed (compared to regular garden vegetables) to get the best out of them. Best of luck!

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my orchids is in the middle of its blooming period - in the middle of winter!

img0050nc2.jpg

It has been going on so far for the past month. It is the first time in its flowering cycle that it is doing this in the middle of winter. I'm a bit apprehensive about it because the place is usually kept rather cool in winter (around 70F), and since it is also close to the window for its dose of sun, it is in an even cooler place. Since it normally likes warmer, more humid climate, I am not sure how well this flowering cycle will turn out.

So far, it seems to be doing OK. I try to give it a misty squirt whenever I remember, hoping it'll get the humidity it needs. With the number of buds still left to open, this will definitely go on till the end of the month, at least.

Zz.

I'll be buying my seeds this week, and start them indoors by march 1.

The cold was too much and my habanero plant outside died :(. However, the plant in my room is getting bigger. It will probably be big enough to move outside right when the weather gets warmer.

ZapperZ said:
One of my orchids is in the middle of its blooming period - in the middle of winter!

img0050nc2.jpg

It has been going on so far for the past month. It is the first time in its flowering cycle that it is doing this in the middle of winter. I'm a bit apprehensive about it because the place is usually kept rather cool in winter (around 70F), and since it is also close to the window for its dose of sun, it is in an even cooler place. Since it normally likes warmer, more humid climate, I am not sure how well this flowering cycle will turn out.

So far, it seems to be doing OK. I try to give it a misty squirt whenever I remember, hoping it'll get the humidity it needs. With the number of buds still left to open, this will definitely go on till the end of the month, at least.

Zz.
That's beautiful! I wonder why it decided to bloom?

Ok, I need some ideas for this spring. I have a patio with a southwestern exposure. Due to limited space, I am going to have to do tiered planting. I'm going to go for "bush" varieties of tomatoes, squash, etc... I'm not sure I'm going to have enough natural sunlight since the patio has a roof. Does anyone have any experience with patio gardening? Will I need to add artificial lighting?

Bush tomatoes as in wild -purple flowering- http://www.bushtuckershop.com/prod16.htm

They would definitely need lots of light. I'm not sure if I should recommend http://picasaweb.google.com/Miranda.Whitman/GardenProgression2007/photo#5070719482424536402 . :rolleyes:

Edit: Flower suggestion for shaded areas: Impatiens, many variaties of Buzzy Lizzy available

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Ok, I need some ideas for this spring. I have a patio with a southwestern exposure. Due to limited space, I am going to have to do tiered planting. I'm going to go for "bush" varieties of tomatoes, squash, etc... I'm not sure I'm going to have enough natural sunlight since the patio has a roof. Does anyone have any experience with patio gardening? Will I need to add artificial lighting?
Fruit-bearing plants need light. Tomatoes need light to ripen.

There are a variety plants that require partial sun (or part/partial shade), which might work.

See the bottom of this page for ideas - http://www.perennialplants.com/partial.htm

On the south side of the patio, one could put the tomato/squash/pepper plant (s), in a large pot (5 gal) with a lattice. Sugar peas or sting beans would work too.

On the north side, put plants that can cope with as little as 4 hrs of sun (in afternoon).

Is this one of those patios with a high (> 6 ft) fence so no one can look into the apartment, or is it a second floor or higher patio with a low wall so that more sunlight is possible?

Evo said:
Some plants can tolerate partial sun pretty well. If you like salads, you could plant a couple of window-boxes with mesclun or a leaf lettuce like black-seeded Simpson. That particular variety of lettuce is very hardy and will keep producing even through early frosts next fall. Just cut it and use it, and it keeps growing back. Swiss chard rebounds from cutting, too. It tends to get tougher in texture in mid-summer. I don't know if that is due to the temperature or to the sunlight, so perhaps a patio with lots of indirect sunlight would be a good place to grow it. Swiss chard is very high in vitamins K, A, and C.

Astronuc said:
Is this one of those patios with a high (> 6 ft) fence so no one can look into the apartment, or is it a second floor or higher patio with a low wall so that more sunlight is possible?
Ground floor patio, no fence, it opens onto a small backyard and a ravine, lots of privacy. But I can only plant on my patio since the grounds are kept.

Here is a tomato I was thinking of http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/tomatoes/beefsteak+tomatoes/tomato+-+bushsteak+hybrid+%281+pkt.+30+seeds%29.do

Most tomatoes need lots of full sun to develop large, ripe fruits. Here is a site that lists some varieties that can produce in partial sun. We generally concentrate on Big Boys and Early Girls, with a few Sweet 100 cherry tomato plants for shish kebabs and basket-grilling.

http://www.garden-helper.com/Shop/tomatoes.asp

I have a miniature fir tree, it is six months old and still alive, i am going to grow a miniature forest.

wolram said:
I have a miniature fir tree, it is six months old and still alive, i am going to grow a miniature forest.

Like this?

contest_eddie_levinthol_candle_forest.jpg

or this?

contest_Roberto_Gerpe_FlorestaPtecol.jpg

Also excellent for patio's

Mine is like a baby Christmas tree, it is the first thing to survive in my garden.

I like the bottom one Andre, may be i will try a mixed forest.

wolram said:
Mine is like a baby Christmas tree, it is the first thing to survive in my garden.

More like this then?

http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/enclosedbygrace_files/JuniperusSeikechinensis-400w-338h.JPG

The best deciduous tree for outdoors bonsai groups (best survivor on dark patios) is Ulmus parviflora.

arbo_chinese_elm.jpg

But pruning and trimming is a lot of work, you have to recompose the group every year, for trimming the roots, which are growing extremely fast.

I bought a book on bonsai many years ago, intending to visit Coburn Mountain and select some stock. I worked on the ski patrol there and was fascinated by the heavy-trunked, stunted birches, etc that grew on the edge of the evergreen-only peak. Never got around to making that hike, but maybe I'll give it a shot some day. Even easier would be to drive up the access road to Mt Washington over in New Hampshire and Pick up a few little conifers at the boundary of their range.

For me it's more like a memory. Three trees left from once some hundred. But moving frequently and bonsai don't match. Also it costs lots of time, almost like pets. They need care every day.

I never forget my then 5 year old sons observation when he saw me working on one of them. He did not ask what kind of trees those were. he decided that it were climbing trees for gnomes.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Ground floor patio, no fence, it opens onto a small backyard and a ravine, lots of privacy. But I can only plant on my patio since the grounds are kept.

Here is a tomato I was thinking of http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/tomatoes/beefsteak+tomatoes/tomato+-+bushsteak+hybrid+%281+pkt.+30+seeds%29.do
The would seem to work.

Just remember -
Fruiting crops, including tomatoes, need full sun most of the day for good production of quality fruit. Good drainage is also important. In high to medium rainfall areas (more than 30 inches per year) work the soil into ridges and plant on the ridge or build raised beds 12 to 18 inches deep. Plan on setting out at least one cherry tomato and 4 to 6 large-fruited varieties depending on the number of fresh tomato lovers in your family. You'll need stakes or wire tomato cages to support the plants to keep the fruit off the ground where it would rot. To insure even and efficient watering, you will want to put in a drip or soaker hose system for watering. Finally, count on mulch to keep down the weeds.
This is especially true for tomatos.

I'm going to have to set up plant lights.

Orchids update

The orchid that was blooming in the middle of winter that I reported earlier seems to be doing just fine, despite the cooler environment. More flowers have opened up, and it has at least 3 more to go, so this bloom should last for another month or so.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2762/img0108mw2.jpg

But here's another exciting news. I have 3 different orchid plants. One is in the middle of its bloom, the other just finished about 4 months ago, and while I was watering the 3rd one this morning, I saw THIS:

img0109gx8.jpg

That's the beginning of another branch for another bloom!

<dances around the house>

I don't recall having them overlap like this. At this rate, it should start with its first bloom in about a couple of months, which means I will have orchids over a better part of spring. This is the orchid that had bloom only twice before since I got it about 3 years ago. Other than two two, all it had done so far is putting out lots of leaves... big, shinny, dark green leaves!

Now if only I can remember the color of its flowers... :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The orchid that was blooming in the middle of winter that I reported earlier seems to be doing just fine, despite the cooler environment. More flowers have opened up, and it has at least 3 more to go, so this bloom should last for another month or so.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2762/img0108mw2.jpg

But here's another exciting news. I have 3 different orchid plants. One is in the middle of its bloom, the other just finished about 4 months ago, and while I was watering the 3rd one this morning, I saw THIS:

img0109gx8.jpg

That's the beginning of another branch for another bloom!

<dances around the house>

I don't recall having them overlap like this. At this rate, it should start with its first bloom in about a couple of months, which means I will have orchids over a better part of spring. This is the orchid that had bloom only twice before since I got it about 3 years ago. Other than two two, all it had done so far is putting out lots of leaves... big, shinny, dark green leaves!

Now if only I can remember the color of its flowers... :)
Wow! That's great Zz. What are the conditions under which the orchids flourish? Do they have their own room?

I've been thinking about Evo's patio, and there are several options. One option would be to use small pots on a frame or bench. Another option is to use planters, which could be mobile or fixed. http://www.simplyplanters.com/

The problem with fixed planters, besides the fact that they may not be allowed in the development, is that they will deteriorate over time due to weathering.

My father grew a passion fruit plant in a large 15 gallon pot, which when full of dirt was about 200 lbm or so. He built a small cart so that the planter (pot) and plant could be moved in doors during freezing weather, or into more favorable sunlight as necessary.

Astronuc said:
Wow! That's great Zz. What are the conditions under which the orchids flourish? Do they have their own room?

Nope. They share the same south-facing bay window with the rest of my plants.

The only thing I would recommend with this type of orchid is that, unless you have a humidifier close by, then you'll need a spray bottle to make sure you give them enough humidity, especially during the winter months.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Nope. They share the same south-facing bay window with the rest of my plants.

The only thing I would recommend with this type of orchid is that, unless you have a humidifier close by, then you'll need a spray bottle to make sure you give them enough humidity, especially during the winter months.

Zz.
I know they like tropical weather which means sun or partial shade with warmth and moisture.

Zz, are you a member of AOS?

They have some great information for anyone wishing to grow orchids (of course).
http://www.orchidweb.org/aos/orchids/page01.aspx
http://www.orchidweb.org/aos/orchids/documents/cultureinhome.pdf

Astronuc, there are lots of orchids here in Maine, which is a long way from tropical. Most have small blooms, but some are big and showy, like the Pink Lady's Slipper. These bloom in the cool of late spring, about the time the mosquitoes are showing up. Most are a bright purple/pink, but I know where there are some white variants growing alongside the pink ones.

I'm so happy for you Zz! I need to get some houseplants again.

Evo said:
I'm so happy for you Zz! I need to get some houseplants again.
Have you thought of growing rosemary? That's a really fragrant plant. One could put it in a transportable pot.

Would Dr. Foofer and Fruitbat leave the plants alone? Our cats like to nibble on certain plants. Misty chewed some jalapeño seedlings once, and they never recovered. :frown:

Astronuc said:
Would Dr. Foofer and Fruitbat leave the plants alone? Our cats like to nibble on certain plants. Misty chewed some jalapeño seedlings once, and they never recovered. :frown:
Dr Foofer is my concern, cats love destroying plants. I have some high plant stands which I think are my only hope. I really want a large potted plant, but I don't want it to suffer.

Evo said:
Dr Foofer is my concern, cats love destroying plants. I have some high plant stands which I think are my only hope. I really want a large potted plant, but I don't want it to suffer.
Cats are such good jumpers that they would have to be really tall stands. When we got ferrets, we had to get rid of lots of potted plants. They wouldn't chew the plants, but they LOVED digging in dirt, like looking for a prize in a cereal box. A tall wooden plant stand saved our huge Grape Ivy (started for me by my mother over 30 years ago), though our current house is really too small for it, so it's now at my brother's place. Now, we're down to a couple of compact cactii that thrive on neglect.

Evo said:
Some plants aren't bothered, but others are.

We've tried bad tasting sprays, and they seem to work.

We also suspend (hanging) plants from the ceiling. This is necessary for an airplane/spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) we have.

This is why no cats are allowed at my place. :)

Besides, Chuck is allergic to cats.

Zz.

I currently have a Savannah red habanero seedling sitting on the window of my room. At any given time, one of the cats is always sitting right next to the plant so they can watch my gecko over the top of his cage.

I am yet to receive any nibbles on the seedling (although I can understand why).

ZapperZ said:

Besides, Chuck is allergic to cats.

Zz.
Your poor orchids would be little chewed stumps. I went from a house that looked like a tropical jungle (pre-cat) to nothing (post-cat).

I also had one cat that decided to turn one of my large potted plants into a cat box. I finally had to cover all the exposed dirt with large, sharp edge rocks to get him to quit. Then he shredded the plant to get even.

Evo said:
Your poor orchids would be little chewed stumps. I went from a house that looked like a tropical jungle (pre-cat) to nothing (post-cat).

I also had one cat that decided to turn one of my large potted plants into a cat box. I finally had to cover all the exposed dirt with large, sharp edge rocks to get him to quit. Then he shredded the plant to get even.

I'm not going to let my orchids see your post. I don't want any of them to get traumatized by this.

<There, there, Freckles. I won't let any nasty cats come near you...>

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm not going to let my orchids see your post. I don't want any of them to get traumatized by this.

<There, there, Freckles. I won't let any nasty cats come near you...>

Zz.
:smile:

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

totally agree there---they love to knock over stuff on shelves, tables, etc. too---esp. the bigger cats

ecaa_1.JPG

Last edited:
Back