What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
This morning I woke up and saw the habanero plant that I was growing in my room was lying on the side of the cup.

I got up and looked inside the cup, and apparently, one of the crickets in the gecko's cage chewed through the stem, and was sitting in the cup looking proud of himself.

Well. There is a lesson for me, however, now I have to start from scratch again :frown:.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Jeans said:
This morning I woke up and saw the habanero plant that I was growing in my room was lying on the side of the cup.

I got up and looked inside the cup, and apparently, one of the crickets in the gecko's cage chewed through the stem, and was sitting in the cup looking proud of himself.

Well. There is a lesson for me, however, now I have to start from scratch again :frown:.
I am so sorry! :frown:

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work and they had just gotten in a truck load of plants and were having a huge sale. I couldn't resist. It's been so cold for so long here that I decided it was time to bring in some plants to cheer me up.

Here is one of the miniature roses I got. Blurred shot, but I'm too tired to take another.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8463/rosespn7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are just lovely. I think I'm ready for a few flowers myself, maybe trick myself into thinking spring is almost here.

I am restarting my planting this season with a vengence.

I have three types of habaneros (savannah red habaneros (color red), white lantern habaneros (color white), and paper lantern habaneros (color red). Orange habaneros don't even come close.) growing under a heat lamp right now (with clear covers on them to help keep in the heat and moisture as well as crickets). By the time they sprout and I have to remove the covers, it will we warm enough to take them out from under the heat lamp and remove the cricket threat.

I'm hoping that I get a good growing season this year.

Good luck Math Jeans. I'm anticipating planting two 35' long raised beds about 2" wide - all in red habanero and jalapeno, though I may plant some of the super chilies again - they go really well in dill pickles. When I open a new jar I like fishing around for at least one super chili and one of the garlic cloves.

I can't wait for spring. I planted my garlic in December and mulched it with straw for the winter. By July, I should be digging the bulbs, drying them, and using some for my pickles, salsas, and chili relishes. I also mulched the parsnips and left them in the ground to sweeten over the winter. I'll dig those out and dry them for storage when the ground thaws (May, sometime).

I'm considering next winter (because I do not have a lot of plants and because there is an outlet outside) putting my peppers under heat lamps in order to keep them from getting too cold. Do you think that will be enough seeing as it doesn't really get blisteringly cold out here?

Math Jeans said:
I'm considering next winter (because I do not have a lot of plants and because there is an outlet outside) putting my peppers under heat lamps in order to keep them from getting too cold. Do you think that will be enough seeing as it doesn't really get blisteringly cold out here?
If you are only doing a few, that's probably fine, for larger numbers, you might want to consider a cold frame.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_seasonal/article/0,,hgtv_3624_1473507,00.html

Years back an elderly friend of mine that ran a roadside vegetable business got a head-start with row-crops with plastic row-covers. They were basically a series of hoops to straddle the rows with transparent plastic stretched over them. The clever part was that the plastic cover had rows of slits, and if it got hot under there, the plastic would soften to allow those slits to sag and vent the hot air. As the temperature went down, the plastic would shrink and the slits would close up. It worked great, though I don't know if anybody is still making/selling these.

Edit: Yep! This looks like the same system.
http://gardeners.harrisseeds.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=253

My white lantern habaneros sprouted earlier today. I believe the other two are close by.

Math Jeans said:
My white lantern habaneros sprouted earlier today. I believe the other two are close by.
Good luck! You've got my recipe for chili relish, but you should branch out and use those chilies in other recipes, too. Last night my wife started whipping up a nice stir-fry of hamburg, garlic, onion, and other vegetables and spices, and she rolled that mix into soft flour tortilla wraps to make a baking-pan full of enchiladas that she topped with my home-made hot salsa and Monterey Jack cheese. Man, that stuff is good!

Once you learn how to whip up some good salsas, etc, you should work with your parents to learn safe canning techniques so that you can grow bigger crops, can bigger batches, and have those treats year-round. I have a lot of non-gardening friends who buy Pace, Newman's own and other salsas for their own use, but once they get a taste of my stuff, they are hinting around for jars or my salsas. Very few ask for my chili relishes, though - too hot!

I already have. I have made a couple salsas, one of them was good :biggrin:. The first one, I only used habaneros and no jalapinos, just a little overpowering. I'm going to start adding random things to the salsas and cooking the ingredients in ways that I just feel will make them taste good.

That's what you are supposed to do right? Wing it?

On monday we are having gumbo for dinner, and I'm planning to use the last few habaneros from my dead plant in it for a little extra spice. Might as well, I don't have enough left to make a habanero based dish (I have 3 left).

Now that I also have a dehydrator (for making chili powder), would you suggest making habanero beef jerky? With the different types I have growing it could be quite colorful :biggrin:.

Math Jeans said:
I already have. I have made a couple salsas, one of them was good :biggrin:. The first one, I only used habaneros and no jalapinos, just a little overpowering. I'm going to start adding random things to the salsas and cooking the ingredients in ways that I just feel will make them taste good.

That's what you are supposed to do right? Wing it?

On monday we are having gumbo for dinner, and I'm planning to use the last few habaneros from my dead plant in it for a little extra spice. Might as well, I don't have enough left to make a habanero based dish (I have 3 left).

Now that I also have a dehydrator (for making chili powder), would you suggest making habanero beef jerky? With the different types I have growing it could be quite colorful :biggrin:.
You need to take some pictures of your peppers (and plants) and post them here.

Habanero jerky would be good.

or some Atomic Chicken Wings. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
You need to take some pictures of your peppers (and plants) and post them here.

Habanero jerky would be good.

or some Atomic Chicken Wings. :biggrin:

The problem is that it truly only broke the surface yesterday. In fact, I was lucky to see that little speck of green sticking out of the dirt, so unfortunately, I cannot get an effective picture until it gets bigger.

Orchid Update

My blooming orchid has now matched its record number of flowers in a single bloom. There are 7 individual flowers now, and if the small bud at the end opens up, it will be a record 8 flowers in a single bloom. I'm observing it every single day (yes, I know, I'm obsessed).

img0210bm1.jpg

Maybe it LIKES the cooler temperature! Who knew?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
My blooming orchid has now matched its record number of flowers in a single bloom. There are 7 individual flowers now, and if the small bud at the end opens up, it will be a record 8 flowers in a single bloom. I'm observing it every single day (yes, I know, I'm obsessed).

img0210bm1.jpg

Maybe it LIKES the cooler temperature! Who knew?

Zz.
Cool! :cool: :approve:

I see Larkspur has some serious competition brewing.

A black or dark blue background would accentuate the white and pink petals.

Beautiful Zz! I'm tempted to try orchids now.

Evo said:
Beautiful Zz! I'm tempted to try orchids now.

But don't you have to get rid of your cat first? :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But don't you have to get rid of your cat first? :)

Zz.
I have to figure out what to do. A friend of mine has 3 cats and a lot of beautiful orchids. I don't know how he does it.

I'm a little confused.

My white lantern habaneros sprouted about 4 days before my paper lantern ones, however, my white lanters have grown only about a quarter of an inch, where only a day after my paper lanters sprouted, they are already hitting the top of the cover (that thing is growing REALLY fast). Whate the real difference here?

Evo said:
I have to figure out what to do. A friend of mine has 3 cats and a lot of beautiful orchids. I don't know how he does it.
Well, you have to mist orchids, so keep a spray bottle handy, and when your cat approaches the orchid, mist the cat. Afterward leave the spray bottle right beside the orchid to remind the cat. A little aversion training might do the trick.

BTW, that technique did NOT work with our ferrets. They thought of it as play, and some actually liked to shower with us, though they were not so eager to have warm, soapy baths and get their under-coat saturated.

Math Jeans said:
I'm a little confused.

My white lantern habaneros sprouted about 4 days before my paper lantern ones, however, my white lanters have grown only about a quarter of an inch, where only a day after my paper lanters sprouted, they are already hitting the top of the cover (that thing is growing REALLY fast). Whate the real difference here?
Don't know for sure. Could be individual variation by species. Did you use the same potting soil for each? Peppers are very vegetative if you give them too much nitrogen, and will get bushy with lots of leaves and not so many chilies. They need enough nitrogen so that their leaves are green, not yellow, but any more than that can hinder fruiting.

If you're serious about tracking this stuff, for about $20 or less, you can buy a colorimetric soil-testing kit that will test pH, Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus. The kit will have enough color-coded capsules of reagents so that you can do at least 10-12 sets of each test. Record your results and keep track of which nutrient levels give the best results.

OK, I have no idea why most of my plants decided to flower in the middle of winter. You've seen 2 of my orchids doing that. One is in full bloom, while the other already have put out flowering buds. In addition to that, both of my palm plants have been "flowering" on and off for the past 2 months.

Now, one of my many amerelis plants has decided to join the fun. This is one of the oldest plants that I have in the house. This time, it is putting out, not one, but two flowering shoots.

img0274nw6.jpg

I'm keeping an eye out on one of the other older amerelis to see if that will do the same soon.

I like amerelis, but the flowers really do not last very long.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, I have no idea why most of my plants decided to flower in the middle of winter. You've seen 2 of my orchids doing that. One is in full bloom, while the other already have put out flowering buds. In addition to that, both of my palm plants have been "flowering" on and off for the past 2 months.

Now, one of my many amerelis plants has decided to join the fun. This is one of the oldest plants that I have in the house. This time, it is putting out, not one, but two flowering shoots.

img0274nw6.jpg

I'm keeping an eye out on one of the other older amerelis to see if that will do the same soon.

I like amerelis, but the flowers really do not last very long.

Zz.
Sounds like your plants are excited. What have you been doing to them? :biggrin:

I went shopping for food last night and ended buying some tiered metal stands for my outdoor plants. I also bought green onion seed (scallions) never grown those from seed before. Burpee Eggplant seeds (regular) because I know that does well in a container and they're pretty plants with purple flowers.

I got a packet of Burpee Spacemaster seeds (the only patio variety they had), but looking at this article, I think perhaps that one of the others might be better.

Which is your pick?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050522/news_1hs22sage.html

I started up three new pepper plants yesterday.

I'm now growing Savannah red, tabasco, and tepin chilis.

Evo said:
Sounds like your plants are excited. What have you been doing to them? :biggrin:

I walk naked in front of them and give them a dirty look. :)

I have no idea. It just seems that every plant in the house is doing something. I've never seen a palm plant put out these small grainy looking thing, but someone told me that that's the flower.

I'm still holding out for Freckles to put out just one more flower and break her record. But after inspecting it closely for the past 2 weeks, I don't think the last bud will make it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I walk naked in front of them and give them a dirty look. :)
I'd probably start sprouting too! :-p

I have no idea. It just seems that every plant in the house is doing something. I've never seen a palm plant put out these small grainy looking thing, but someone told me that that's the flower.
That's fantastic. I had a cactus that decided to bloom, looked like leopard skin and smelled like carrion. The bloom was three times the size of the cactus. I think the pictures was lost in the move. :frown:

I'm still holding out for Freckles to put out just one more flower and break her record. But after inspecting it closely for the past 2 weeks, I don't think the last bud will make it.

Zz.
That's too bad.

Evo said:
I went shopping for food last night and ended buying some tiered metal stands for my outdoor plants. I also bought green onion seed (scallions) never grown those from seed before. Burpee Eggplant seeds (regular) because I know that does well in a container and they're pretty plants with purple flowers.

I got a packet of Burpee Spacemaster seeds (the only patio variety they had), but looking at this article, I think perhaps that one of the others might be better.

Which is your pick?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050522/news_1hs22sage.html
Spacemaster has 7'' fruit, so that's about the right size for salads. The Bush Whopper is full size. The article doesn't really offer a good comparison. You'll also need some poles or a lattice frame for the plants to grow on.

Do you have MiracleGrow fertilizer for vegetables?

I'm anxiously awaiting gardening season, but as you can see from this image taken just minutes ago, nature is not being very cooperative. Every couple of days, we get a storm, and I think we have gotten at least 10' of snow so far. We have had a couple of thaws and a couple of torrential rains to knock down the snow-pack, but it's going to be a very long time before I get to see my garden and lawns again. Heck! I can only see the tops of my apple trees.

marchhouse.jpg

turbo-1 said:
I'm anxiously awaiting gardening season, but as you can see from this image taken just minutes ago, nature is not being very cooperative. Every couple of days, we get a storm, and I think we have gotten at least 10' of snow so far. We have had a couple of thaws and a couple of torrential rains to knock down the snow-pack, but it's going to be a very long time before I get to see my garden and lawns again. Heck! I can only see the tops of my apple trees.

marchhouse.jpg
Wow, reminds me of when I lived in upstate NY. It would be June before the snow would completely thaw.

turbo-1 said:

marchhouse.jpg

Hey, turbo - I didn't know you had 'igloo' season there! :biggrin:

I bet on the back side, you could build a two story or split level igloo.

Astronuc said:
Hey, turbo - I didn't know you had 'igloo' season there! :biggrin:

I bet on the back side, you could build a two story or split level igloo.
I've already got a good start on the back side. The snow slides off the roof and onto the back deck, so I have to shovel the deck every storm, and the snow pile is almost up to the level of the deck. It's not too hard to use a snow scoop and drop the snow off the edge of the deck, but if the pile gets much higher, I'll have to use a shovel and throw the snow over the railings.

Evo said:
Wow, reminds me of when I lived in upstate NY. It would be June before the snow would completely thaw.
I've spent time working at a training facility at a nuke plant in Oswego, NY and the early-winter lake-effect snow was incredible. Of course, I live far inland, near no large lakes or ocean and we're getting scary amounts of snow. This winter has been on a par with winters of the '50's and 60's. We've gotten more snow this year than probably the last 3-4 years combined.

The state's emergency planners are getting nervous. If we have a "normal" spring with weeks of daily freeze/thaw cycles, that would be OK, but if we get a stretch of warm days and rain, like back in '87, and all this snowpack let's loose at once, we will have disastrous flooding that will make '87 look tame in comparison.

http://centralmaine.mainetoday.com/floodof87.html

We lost dams, bridges, houses, businesses, etc, and that was primarily due to run-off from a rain storm in the Western mountains. This time, the whole interior of the state has this incredible snow, and the water content of the snow is very high. I'm glad my little log house is high on a hill.

I started my tomato, eggplant and cucumber seedlings last night. I still need to find the bush squash I want. I also started some green onions. I think I'm going to have to get a flourescent lamp or grow light to help the seedlings when they sprout, there is not enough sun inside and they will get too straggly.

Evo said:
I started my tomato, eggplant and cucumber seedlings last night. I still need to find the bush squash I want. I also started some green onions. I think I'm going to have to get a flourescent lamp or grow light to help the seedlings when they sprout, there is not enough sun inside and they will get too straggly.
Definitely invest in grow-lamps. Plants can only take up nutrients and develop properly when they have a proper source of energy. Those lamps can run pretty hot, so make sure that you you buy fixtures that can be solidly mounted so that your pets can't knock them down. You'd be pretty devastated to get a call at work telling you that your place just burned down. If you can find some track-mounted pendant fixtures that are rated to take the wattage of grow-lights, that would be ideal. You could slide them back and forth as needed to provide the best coverage for your seedlings.

Back