What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
Well, here it is the 10th of June and it has rained every single day. As of the 8th it was the 12th rainiest June on record, with 22 more days to go. Flood watches are in effect through the weekend. Officially (county weather station) we have had just about two hours of sun all month. A friend of mine has a rain gauge, and he told me yesterday afternoon that he had logged almost exactly one foot of rain by that time (8-1/2 days). Of course with the (often torrential) rain last night and today, that total is now much higher.

I am so glad that I hoed up raised beds for all the vegetables - they may have a chance of survival if we can get a couple of dry days with a little sun - maybe sometime next week. If I had done simple row-planting, the poor drainage in the sub-soil would would drowned my plants and seeds - there are pools of standing water between the beds, as it is. Good news on the berry front (if it ever stops raining) - one of my wife's co-workers is dividing her raspberry bushes and she's giving us all the ones she's removing, so we'll have some big cultivated raspberries in addition to the tasty little wild ones growing in the woods.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Strawberries are ripening, but something has been eating the biggest one's. :mad:

I was away all of last week at conference. I got home Saturday, just after midnight. Saturday morning I found that something - I presume deer - have eaten 5 of 9 new blackberry canes :mad: :devil: GRRRR!. I put a net around them.

The blueberries are starting to ripen, and the raspberries are now fruting.

The zucchini and summer sqaush are so far doing quite well. They are surrounded by netting.

Apparently the deer are now eating plants that are supposedly deer-resistant. :rolleyes:

The rhubarb is doing quite well.

And we ate some sugar peas.

I bought my wife a book on edible and medicinal plants. It turns out quite a few native/wild plants are edible. We even have "wood sorrel" which grows like a weed, but it is edible. It looks like clover, but has heart-shaped leaves rather than round in the case of clover.
http://www.way2go4.com/walking/uk_wildflowers/wildflowers_wood_sorrell.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I bought my wife a book on edible and medicinal plants. It turns out quite a few native/wild plants are edible. We even have "wood sorrel" which grows like a weed, but it is edible. It looks like clover, but has heart-shaped leaves rather than round in the case of clover.
Wood sorrel is probably what we called "sweet clover" as kids. It is pretty tasty if you like "tart" and "sweet" together. Neighborhood girls used to gather them as "salad greens" for their "tea parties".

I have silver nightshade everywhere. Cannot kill the stuff and it's taking over everything.

And stop talking about blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, The JAWS OF DEATH ate every last plant. The only thing I have left is one half chewed grape vine. :cry:

Last edited:
Evo said:
And stop talking about blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, The JAWS OF DEATH ate every last last plant. The only thing I have left is one half chewed grape vine. :cry:
*Hugs Evo* I am sorry to hear about your gardening woes. I think you might need to consider a fence (mesh) to keep the dogs and other critters out of your garden.

Seems like Fruit Bat is a bad influence on JAWS OF DEATH. What is with your dogs and fruit?

Our dog just chews on grass and eats bird seed. :rolleyes: We keep her on a 25' tether so she is confined to a 25' radius circle (although about 4 ft of it comes into the house at the backdoor), unless we walk her with a leash.

Speaking grape vines, I have discovered lots of vines on the perimeter of our cleared lot that may or may not be capable of producing, but they are very bulky - in some cases the vines are over an inch in diameter. ai don't know what to do at this point. Do I cut down trees to give light to the vines - do I take cuttings and try to re-establish the vines in a better place? I'm new at the grape thing!

Who wants pears? From the looks of my tree, I'm going to have about 10,000 lbs of them. They are so sweet, juicy and delicious. I probably should look into canning them. Any suggestions?

Oh, and this is a "fruitless tree" I bought 13 years ago, btw.

I LOVE pears, especially the quirky types that have to be tree-ripened, and that exncludes the varieties that most people would rush to buy at a grocery store.

BTW, you have never eaten a peach if you have not bough it fresh at a Georgia orchard. Nothing can compare.

I love pears and peaches. I wish I had several pear trees.

I agree with turbo-1 on peaches - nothing like a fresh juicy peach at the orchard. :-p

Evo, you could can and preserve, or make pies, or have fresh pears and cream, or pears and vanilla ice cream. :-p

Or make pear brandy. :-p :-p

turbo-1 said:
BTW, you have never eaten a peach if you have not bough it fresh at a Georgia orchard. Nothing can compare.
Yep, I used to go to a "pick your own" peach orchard. I always picked and bought way too many.

I have a peach tree too, but the birds always seem to get them the day before I do. :frown:

I wonder if there is a way to determine what kind of grapevines you have? They must be old varieties.

Astronuc, come by and pick all you want. We're having a wet spring, so these should turn out great.

Evo said:
Astronuc, come by and pick all you want. We're having a wet spring, so these should turn out great.
How 'bout I do some yard work in exchange for your pears. Have you done anything about that tree you were planning to take down with a chain saw and the remains of the willow? Should take one afternoon.

As for the grapes, perhaps one could find a "viticulturalist", one who specializes in the cultivation or culture of grapes especially for wine making. There are some wild 'grape vines' that do not bear fruit. I used to find them in Texas along river banks.

Evo, do your grape vines bare fruit? If so, what color are the grapes?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
How 'bout I do some yard work in exchange for your pears. Have you done anything about that tree you were planning to take down with a chain saw and the remains of the willow? Should take one afternoon.
Part of it is still hanging.

Evo, do your grape vines bare fruit? If so, what color are the grapes?
It's a Thompson seedless.

Astronuc, I picked up a pesticidal spray that you and others may be interested in. It is a spray concentrate that can be used on fruits, vegetable, flowers, etc, and it is made almost entirely of canola oil. It suffocates mites, aphids, and other plant-eating insects. The incessant rain has left the plants in my garden soft, yellow, and susceptible to insects, and the bugs have been chewing my cucumber, squash, pepper, and string bean plants in particular, and a few of the tomato plants, too. I hope it works well, because it is about the safest way to kill bugs that I have run across. I used paraffin-based dormant oil spray on my apple trees to see if I can get a decent crop of apples this year, but the canola oil seems perfect, and I may go to that until cold weather comes and I need a longer-lasting protection for the trees. The brand is Concern, the same company that puts out a natural neurotoxin pesticide distilled from African chrysanthemum. I got it at an Agway store, but any gardening place that has a good selection of organic-gardening supplies ought to have it. A couple of ounces of concentrate makes about 3 quarts of spray, and the oil emulsifies very readily when you fill the sprayer with a hose. The label warns that if you ingest very much of the oil it may irritate your digestive system - that's the entire warning! I've got a feeling that I may be able to mix regular cheap old canola oil with a mild emulsifier (perhaps just some mild dish detergent) I can get the same effect, but cheaper. If this stuff works, I'll give it a try and let you know how it works. Or maybe you can be the guinea pig.:biggrin:

Evo!

Pear crumble!

Make it as per apple crumble but only use a bit of sugar with the fruit (as much as you want on the topping) and use really ripe fruit and don't cook it down for nearly as long. A bit of lemon/lime juice will help bring back the tartness if the fruit has gone really sweet and squishy.

brewnog said:
Pear crumble!

Make it as per apple crumble but only use a bit of sugar with the fruit (as much as you want on the topping) and use really ripe fruit and don't cook it down for nearly as long. A bit of lemon/lime juice will help bring back the tartness if the fruit has gone really sweet and squishy.
:-p Another goog recipe!

Add vanilla ice cream to hot crumble. :-p :-p

Turbo, thanks for the tip on concern. I might give a try, if the bugs become bad.

So far the insect pests haven't been to bad this year, despite the recent rains. We now have quite a few catepillars, so I have to keep my eyes open. I found one slug in the strawberry patch.

Last edited:
brewnog said:
Evo!

Pear crumble!

Mmmmmm, that sounds good. :approve:

Evo said:
Mmmmmm, that sounds good. :approve:

Yip, I made it with 2 pears once, fed two of us but was definitely not a waste! Only takes a short while and a bit of preparation too, you expect it to be a chore like a pie but it's just not. Brown sugar is the way though!

Astronuc said:
Turbo, thanks for the tip on concern. I might give a try, if the bugs become bad.

So far the insect pests haven't been to bad this year, despite the recent rains. We now have quite a few catepillars, so I have to keep my eyes open. I found one slug in the strawberry patch.
Here in Maine the winters (in the past, anyway) can be severe, so insects have to be very tough to "winter over". Unfortunately, the winter was very mild, and the bugs survived in legions, so I've got to battle them or risk losing a significant part of this year's vegetables. I have just ordered a quart of BT (bacillus thuringiensis) - a naturally-occuring pesticide that starves leaf-eating caterpillars, worms, etc, by paralyzing their gut. The good part is that it is not harmful to bugs that don't eat the plants, so you can keep the beneficial insects while killing off the guys that can strip your prize habanero plant of leaves in a few days.

Astronuc said:
It turns out quite a few native/wild plants are edible. We even have "wood sorrel" which grows like a weed, but it is edible. It looks like clover, but has heart-shaped leaves rather than round in the case of clover.

I'd hadn't noticed wood sorrel before. Connecticut Botanical Society has a great gallery of images of wild plants. (here is their image of wood sorrel). I am familiar with another common sorrel, "sheep sorrel" it looks like this.

Need help with wild roses!

We were not living here at this time last year, and I have just found out that the weedy overgrown bank across the road from us is loaded with wild roses. I would love to have a hedge of them between the house and the road. Can I dig them up now and transplant them, or do I have to wait until they have gone dormant in the fall? They have very fragrant pink flowers and they would be a nice addition to the 10 fruit trees and 10 ornamental trees that I planted in the front lawn.

Lawns are a spectacular waste of resources, when you can be growing things that the bees, hummingbirds, and other animals love. I have to share my wild blackberries, raspberries and apples with a bear that lives "out back" and with numerous deer, but we all get enough. I can't wait until the peach, pear, and plum trees start to produce. I'll leave the "drops" and the animals will love them.

turbo-1 said:
We were not living here at this time last year, and I have just found out that the weedy overgrown bank across the road from us is loaded with wild roses. I would love to have a hedge of them between the house and the road. Can I dig them up now and transplant them, or do I have to wait until they have gone dormant in the fall? They have very fragrant pink flowers and they would be a nice addition to the 10 fruit trees and 10 ornamental trees that I planted in the front lawn.
QUOTE]
Sounds like you've found some Rosa multiflora. They are quite fragrant while the flowers themselves are not very flashy..

I would say it is better to wait until the fall, but if you dig up a large enough root ball (with plenty of soil, secondary & tertiary roots), it would be worthwhile attempting to transplant now. They are pretty hardy and if give them some food (manure tea, or good NPK solution), and plenty of water, they should handy any transplant shock okay..

Ouabache said:
Sounds like you've found some Rosa multiflora. They are quite fragrant while the flowers themselves are not very flashy..

I would say it is better to wait until the fall, but if you dig up a large enough root ball (with plenty of soil, secondary & tertiary roots), it would be worthwhile attempting to transplant now. They are pretty hardy and if give them some food (manure tea, or good NPK solution), and plenty of water, they should handy any transplant shock okay..
Nope, it's not that species. These are the VERY thorny wild roses that are found on old (100-200 yr) farmsteads here, and that form the wild-rose maze in the gardens at Annapolis Royale in Nova Scotia. I want to get them out of their choked environment, transplant them, and nurture them if it will help them survive. They are being overshadowed by woody shubs, trees, etc. and I think I can make them thrive with some help. I just don't want to transplant them at a time when they need stability to survive.

To the people who want to control insects with safe alternatives: I can tell you that the organic-friendly canola-oil concentrate (made by Concern) has worked very well. There has been no further leaf-damage to my squash, cucumbers, peppers, beans, etc. Some of the damage (esp to the peppers) was done by some fairly large critters, but most was done by very tiny insects, resulting in lots of tiny perforations that could result in plant diseases.

Yesterday, I discovered a huge and thriving ant colony living in a bank on our lawn near some newly-planted fruit trees. They were busily stripping grass and other foliage, and instead of risking the loss of our new fruit trees, I mixed some cane sugar with Borax and spread it all around the holes. Today, I went out to check on them and found one ant where there had been hundreds visible yesterday, and he wasn't moving too fast.

For dishwasing, we use Planet dishwashing detergent. It is made with cocoanut oils, salt and sodium bicarbonate - certified biodegradable and it's NOT tested on animals. We have found that a strong solution of this stuff is also quite deadly to ants - you can spray it on them with hand-held spray bottle, and if you soak 'em, they're dead. This is OK to deal with spot infestations - if you've got a complex of ant nests, Borax and sugar will kill the whole colony, not just the foragers.

I'm looking into algae farming for biodiesel. It might be fun and practical [maybe even profitable...at least for personal use] to start a test plot; say 1/2 to 1 acre. Still reading up on it though.

Water is not a problem around here, but the crops would have a lower energy yield as compared to crops grown in the south. Still, they [various groups pursuing this technology] are claiming yields in ideal conditions of up to 10,000 gallons of fuel feedstock per acre per year.

I'm told that grass seed farmers are lucky to gross $300 per acre per year.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Nope, it's not that species. These are the VERY thorny wild roses that are found on old (100-200 yr) farmsteads here, and that form the wild-rose maze in the gardens at Annapolis Royale in Nova Scotia. I want to get them out of their choked environment, transplant them, and nurture them if it will help them survive. They are being overshadowed by woody shubs, trees, etc. and I think I can make them thrive with some help. I just don't want to transplant them at a time when they need stability to survive.
Okay i didn't have the capability to include links when I made my last post,
For those who have not seen the common wild rose Rosa multiflora. Here is an http://www.main.nc.us/graham/wildflowers/White/Multiflora%20Rose%201%20(Rosa%20multiflora)%20Rose%20Family.JPG .

Another wild rose (also called beach rose) grows typically near the Atlantic coast (and does have large thorns) is Rosa rugosa. Perhaps you are seeing that one? Here is an http://www.oldheirloomroses.com/rugosa_files/rug_rubra_bush.jpg with their fruit called hip, that are often used in tea and can also be made into jelly.

The same suggestions I gave for muliflora I suggest for rugosa. They are a really hardy variety so if that is the variety, it may be worth your while to transplant a few now and see what happens. Just cut a nice ball of soil around the roots, feed it :-p and water generously..

Ouabache said:
Another wild rose (also called beach rose) grows typically near the Atlantic coast (and does have large thorns) is Rosa rugosa. Perhaps you are seeing that one? Here is an http://www.oldheirloomroses.com/rugosa_files/rug_rubra_bush.jpg with their fruit called hip, that are often used in tea and can also be made into jelly.
Yep, that's the one. If anyone can get to the Royal Gardens in Annapolis Royale, Nova Scotia when wild roses are in bloom, DO IT! They have a hedge maze made out of wild roses, and it looks and smells great.

Ouabache said:
The same suggestions I gave for muliflora I suggest for rugosa. They are a really hardy variety so if that is the variety, it may be worth your while to transplant a few now and see what happens. Just cut a nice ball of soil around the roots, feed it :-p and water generously..
OK, I'll give it a go. I may have to let my wife's annuals do their thing first, then use that plot for a rose hedge.

Here is my greenhouse just as it was finished (which I no longer have). :cry:

greenhouse3za.jpg

My woodstove that I had installed at my old house, I loved that thing.

woodstove1an.jpg

The flower girl planted my hanging baskets and flower pots tother day so
now i have flowers, and she said i have a grape vine growing next to my rose tree, how do you look after a grape vine and will i have grapes?

Evo said:
Here is my greenhouse just as it was finished (which I no longer have). :cry:

greenhouse3za.jpg

My woodstove that I had installed at my old house, I loved that thing.

woodstove1an.jpg

Cool, i love big open fires, one that big would vaporise every thing in my little room:frown:

I discovered blackberries on our wild brambles. I knew we had the brambles, which occasionally have small berries, but this year for some reason, the berries are more plentiful and the brambles are much thicker. Maybe its the rains we've had for the last month. The wild blackberries certainly taste different than the cultivated ones. The cultivated (thornless) blackberries have fruited, but it will be at least a couple of weeks before the fruit ripens.

The blueberries and raspberries are ripening and we are now collecting Japanese beetles in addition to blueberries and raspberries. Strawberry season is more or less over. The smaller strawberries (everbearing) are still there, but the plants with the larger strawberries are done for this year.

I harvested a couple of zucchini two days ago. I have 4 zucchini plants and 4 summer squash that are doing quite well. Each plant has several zucchinis or squash. Some of the first fruit didn't mature.

I also planted some more hot pepper plants - habañero, serrano, kung pao, and a hot Portugal pepper plant. :biggrin: The serranos already have fruit.

Here is a picture of our garden. Everything is planted in wide raised rows - which saved the garden because it helped drain soil after the torrential rains we got most of last month. First baby peas were today, we've been freezing swiss chard and spinach for the winter, and the lettuces, spicey greens, radishes and arugula have been great. We have literally dozens of tomato plants and hot pepper plants as well. the habaneros and jalapenos are flowering, as are the string beans.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7224/garden0014tf.jpg

Here is a quick shot of our perennial herb garden. There was a relatively flat area on top of a steep-sided berm. The steps down from the deck land on that berm, but it was too steep and slippery to walk down the slope to the lawn, especially when the grass was wet. I had decided to build a landing and a short flight of steps down to the lawn, but it looked ugly (in my imagination), so I rounded up a bunch of slate from out back and made a landing out of bedded stone, and embedded slate steps into the bank. Then I made a slate walkway the length of the berm, dug out most of the dirt between the stone and the foundation and filled it with composted cow manure and topsoil. Now my wife has a place to plant perennial herbs. The annuals are all growing in pots up on the deck, as are the cherry tomatoes - those plants are huge. It looks like maybe an average year for wild raspberries, but there is a bumper crop of wild blackberries. There is a black bear out back, and he'll get his share of them, but he can't get them all.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7172/garden0034dy.jpg

My garden grows sort of downwards, flowers tilting. Is that normal?

It depends on the types of flowers. Some flowering plants are kind of droopy-looking because when they are in bloom, the weight of the petals and heads are more than the stems can hold upright.

turbo-1 said:
Here is a picture of our garden. Everything is planted in wide raised rows - which saved the garden because it helped drain soil after the torrential rains we got most of last month. First baby peas were today, we've been freezing swiss chard and spinach for the winter, and the lettuces, spicey greens, radishes and arugula have been great. We have literally dozens of tomato plants and hot pepper plants as well. the habaneros and jalaoenos are flowering, as are the string beans.
Very nice, Turbo! I need to post my pictures.

I picked a pint of blueberries - from one plant - and that is about one quarter of the berries on that plant. The other plants have lesser amounts. The berries vary in size from about 1/2-3/4 inches (1.2 - 1.7 cm). I also picked half a pint of raspberries, but there are still lots more to ripen yet. I have smaller amount of wild blackberries and the cultivated ones have yet to ripen.

Our lettuce is doing great - thanks to the cool weather. We have 4 large heads of lettuce - it's salad time. The sugar peas are doing well - we should have planted much more.

I also need to post a picture of our herb garden. The lovage and fennels are about 5-6 feet high!

The zucchini and squash are doing really well too.

I found a site that suggested using rhubarb leaves (oxalic acid) as a natural insecticide. It suggests chopping (shredding) the leaves and boiling them to extract the oxalic acid. I am trying a variation by just putting the leaves on the ground around the zucchinin and squash. I'll let you know how it works out, but it seems to be working.

I got to go mulch the peppers, zucchini and squash.

Back