What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,466
Evo said:
I love soft boiled eggs and those are hard to get right, now it looks easy.

Okay. What's a soft boiled egg? I'm aware of hard boiled eggs. Is it like a poached egg? Is it just another way of saying scrambled?

And is it "soft boiled-egg" or "soft-boiled egg"?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,467
FlexGunship said:
Okay. What's a soft boiled egg? I'm aware of hard boiled eggs. Is it like a poached egg?

In a way similar, but still in the shell. Soft yolk, solidified white.

• #3,468
Borek said:
In a way similar, but still in the shell. Soft yolk, solidified white.

Hmm, sounds good... if not a bit complicated. How do you get it back in the shell?

Last edited:
  • #3,469
FlexGunship said:
Hmm, sounds good if not a bit complicated. How do you get it back in the shell?

Hoo boy...

Flex, think conduction of heat: you cook from the white inward to the yolk... right? So, you never breach the egg: you just cook it LESS than hard-boiled, but enough to cook the whites and begin to denature the yolk.

You then place it in a cup or specially made vessel for the purpose (one end up), and break the shell around the top. Inside, you basically have a perfect dipping vessel AND sauce, complete with snack (the white).

Salt a bit with each bite. I'd just say, this is great if you like them, but much like poached eggs: some HATE them. Others can't be bothered to calibrate the cooking time, but kids ESPECIALLY love them... so they tend to stick around in families.

• #3,470
nismaratwork said:
Flex, think conduction of heat: you cook from the white inward to the yolk... right? So, you never breach the egg: you just cook it LESS than hard-boiled, but enough to cook the whites and begin to denature the yolk.

Hmm; this makes sense. I'm with you, but it doesn't seem like such a clearly delineated food, then. I mean, wouldn't this really point towards an entire spectrum of finely boiled chicken ovum?

I suppose the spectrum would go from "raw" to "incinerated carbon ash." Given that the edibility lends itself mostly to the non-immolation end of the scale, I propose a log-base system for determining in-shell egg-types. Except that "raw" would be impossible to express on a log-plot.

Grr. Why must cooking be so infuriatingly difficult!?

• #3,471
FlexGunship said:
Hmm; this makes sense. I'm with you, but it doesn't seem like such a clearly delineated food, then. I mean, wouldn't this really point towards an entire spectrum of finely boiled chicken ovum?

I suppose the spectrum would go from "raw" to "incinerated carbon ash." Given that the edibility lends itself mostly to the non-immolation end of the scale, I propose a log-base system for determining in-shell egg-types. Except that "raw" would be impossible to express on a log-plot.

Grr. Why must cooking be so infuriatingly difficult!?

Eat yer damned slim jims and hush! :smile:

• #3,472
nismaratwork said:
Eat yer damned slim jims and hush! :smile:

Woah! Giving me a hard time?! I'll never understand the "cooking" community. Ounces are both volume and weight?! At what density are they equivalent? I would assume at the density of water, but I'm not sure.

And why are there so many settings on an oven?! You need exactly two: hot, and un-hot. If the oven is over the mean temperature of the item being cooked, then it's cooking! Newton has seen to that. What could it possibly mean to "pre-heat" an oven? If it's on... it's heated!

Don't get me started on... well... don't get me started.

• #3,473
FlexGunship said:
Woah! Giving me a hard time?! I'll never understand the "cooking" community. Ounces are both volume and weight?! At what density are they equivalent? I would assume at the density of water, but I'm not sure.

And why are there so many settings on an oven?! You need exactly two: hot, and un-hot. If the oven is over the mean temperature of the item being cooked, then it's cooking! Newton has seen to that. What could it possibly mean to "pre-heat" an oven? If it's on... it's heated!

Don't get me started on... well... don't get me started.

Look, juuuust, because I have plans to tatoo: "CANNOT BOIL WATER" on your forehead, doesn't mean cooks are weird? *hysterical laugh* We're THE SANE people Flex... you'll see... I'll make fondue and you'll ALL see!

MUAAHHAAA!

Kidding aside, your comment about ovens made me physically cringe... on... and heated... ARRGH!

• #3,474
nismaratwork said:
Look, juuuust, because I have plans to tatoo: "CANNOT BOIL WATER" on your forehead, doesn't mean cooks are weird?

Was that a Snow Crash reference?

"POOR IMPULSE CONTROL"

• #3,475
FlexGunship said:
Was that a Snow Crash reference?

"POOR IMPULSE CONTROL"

You are the first person to get that in all the time I've used that reference, and you are correct. "The Deliverator..." ahhhh, I love that book. It's both in and mocking the same genre... and fun.

edit: Raven was a very VERY interesting character, and surprisingly well developed. You can see the roots of him in 'Cryptonomicon'.

• #3,476
nismaratwork said:
You are the first person to get that in all the time I've used that reference, and you are correct. "The Deliverator..." ahhhh, I love that book. It's both in and mocking the same genre... and fun.

I'm 25... I'm pretty sure I've read every book worth reading at this point. I'm actually reading a book on advanced (d)SLR photography techniques. I just re-read Snow Crash a few months ago. Nothing like getting a dentata from a 15 year old girl in the tip of your giant Aleutian...

...well, what happens on the Raft, stays on the Raft. Reason will see to that.

• #3,477
FlexGunship said:
I'm 25... I'm pretty sure I've read every book worth reading at this point. I'm actually reading a book on advanced (d)SLR photography techniques. I just re-read Snow Crash a few months ago. Nothing like getting a dentata from a 15 year old girl in the tip of your giant Aleutian...

...well, what happens on the Raft, stays on the Raft. Reason will see to that.

Reason... that was a fantastic joke too. "Ultima Ratio Regum"... Classic.

edit: I think Uncle Enzo would be Veeeeerrrryyyy dissapointed with this recent roundup of his former familia, hmm? Then again, the razor-toting old feller turned out to be OK.

• #3,478
I love Snow Crash, but you both must stop derailing the Food thread. Take it to Random Thoughts.

• #3,479
Evo said:
I love Snow Crash, but you both must stop derailing the Food thread. Take it to Random Thoughts.

The best pizza in the world is from CosaNostra. Delivery in 30 minutes or less! I think they have tomatoes in their sauce.

• #3,480
FlexGunship said:
The best pizza in the world is from CosaNostra. Delivery in 30 minutes or less! I think they have tomatoes in their sauce.
I got Om to read it recently. FIDO!

• #3,481
Evo said:
I got Om to read it recently. FIDO!

I didn't see any food mentioned in your post!

• #3,482
FlexGunship said:
I didn't see any food mentioned in your post!
See what you did?

• #3,483
I'm laughing SO hard right now...

...and eating popcorn. With, uhhh.. rosemary-browned-butter.

So.. food. :rolleyes:

• #3,484
My wife has to tend to her mother tonight, and she made her supper before she left. Linguini with a creamy feta sauce, ground medley peppercorns, and dulse. She took a small container of the marinara that I made last summer/fall to top the pasta with.

Cooking, preserving, and freezing produce from a decent garden is lots of work, but now winter is here, I'm missing it.

• #3,485
I just got a fish and chips craving...like, a really really strong one!

• #3,486
turbo-1 said:
My wife has to tend to her mother tonight, and she made her supper before she left. Linguini with a creamy feta sauce, ground medley peppercorns, and dulse. She took a small container of the marinara that I made last summer/fall to top the pasta with.

Cooking, preserving, and freezing produce from a decent garden is lots of work, but now winter is here, I'm missing it.
Seaweed in a creamy cheese sauce?

I'm boiling down tomatoes for sauce and going to bake meatballs to go in it.

• #3,487
Evo said:
Seaweed in a creamy cheese sauce?

I'm boiling down tomatoes for sauce and going to bake meatballs to go in it.
Just a dusting of dulse flakes. She likes it. Because of high BP, she's always looking for ways to add flavor to dishes without adding salt.

• #3,488
turbo-1 said:
Just a dusting of dulse flakes. She likes it. Because of high BP, she's always looking for ways to add flavor to dishes without adding salt.
Ah, I just use a water pill and eat normally. My doctor has never suggested that I cut out salt, so I guess he doesn't feel I need to. (thank good ness)

• #3,489
nismaratwork said:
I'm laughing SO hard right now...

...and eating popcorn. With, uhhh.. rosemary-browned-butter.

So.. food. :rolleyes:

Rosemary Browned butter? That what you get when you let her near your butter, man!

• #3,490
turbo, I am searching for a meatball recipe that tastes as good as banquet meatballs, you have a really great recipe? Mine just taste like meatloaf balls.

• #3,491
Evo said:
turbo, I am searching for a meatball recipe that tastes as good as banquet meatballs, you have a really great recipe? Mine just taste like meatloaf balls.
For meatballs (as opposed to balls of meatloaf) you have to plan what you're going to use them for. My wife and I don't use recipes that much, so I can't give you hard-and-fast rules, but here's the way I approach it. Hamburg and moistened bread make the base. Instead of using fresh vegetables, you should consider using dried versions. Onion powder, garlic powder, oregano flake and crushed red pepper should be included, as well as salt and black pepper. Depending on the application, you might want to consider some dried mustard and/or curry powder, too.

Typically, we brown meatballs in hot oil with a high smoke-temperature, like peanut oil, then when they are seared and sealed, add the meatballs to whatever sauce they will be served in and simmer until they are done through. I hope this gave you some ideas. Meatballs should never be bland like meatloaf, so don't be afraid to add "too much" of a seasoning. You can always tone it down next time, but often you won't want to.

• #3,492
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

• #3,493
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?
What do you like?

• #3,494
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

Flan/Indian Pudding/Custard
Chips/Pretzels/Carrots
Cocoa/Tea/Coffee

I tend to think along lines of textures, and sweet/fat/salt.

Ice cream is always a winner.

• #3,495
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

Chicken and dumplings.
Macaroni and cheese.
Toast (ok so i guess I'm easy to comfort).

• #3,496
lisab said:
Chicken and dumplings.
Macaroni and cheese.
Toast (ok so i guess I'm easy to comfort).

GENIUS. Any kind works too.

• #3,497
My wife made deviled eggs today. She mixed the yolks with Cain's mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, ground chipotle, smoked paprika, black pepper, and my home-made jalapeno/garlic relish. VERY tasty.

• #3,498
HeLiXe said:
*seeks comfort food*
any recommendations?

Paella

2motsif.jpg

This is how they serve it on the market in St-Girons in the Arriege in France

• #3,499
Sausage making day next week! I'll upload some pictures.

• #3,500
turbo-1 said:
My wife made deviled eggs today. She mixed the yolks with Cain's mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, ground chipotle, smoked paprika, black pepper, and my home-made jalapeno/garlic relish. VERY tasty.

That Paella looks awesome Andre, but right now I'd take some of turbo's wife's deviled eggs. Ahhh...