What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,536
nismaratwork said:
Side note... I eat too many eggs!

even roe?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,537
HeLiXe said:
even roe?

Most definitely! Flying Fish is my favorite... and I love salmon roe on sushi. Still... osetra, sevruga, beluga... *drool*

@turbo-1: Hmm, good advice! It is a pain in the butt to peel them at first, and I just stuck with the "cold-shock" approach.

• #3,538
Wow... I don't think advertising that he's touching the food is a selling point.

Flavor Flav said:
"You're going to find me in here working. … You're going to catch me in here seasoning up my chicken, flouring up my chicken, frying up my chicken. And not only that, but coming out here and serving my chicken to people,"

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/24/flavor-flav-opens-fried-chicken-restaurant-in-iowa/?hpt=Sbin

Yeah... so a former member of The Public Enemy is now running 'Flav's Fried Chicken'... in Clinton, Iowa. I didn't see that coming, and I still want to know who wants chicken from a guy in a viking hat wearing clocks.

Last edited:
  • #3,539
I'm trying to get more adventurous with food. Got a recipe for Nam Prik Gaeng Daeng. mmmmmm

For Nam Prik Gaeng Daeng (Thai Red Curry Paste)

6 large dried red chilies, seeded and roughly chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt (I use less, for preference)
1 teaspoon finely chopped galangal (substitute fresh gingerroot if galangal is unobtainable)
1 tablespoon finely chopped tender lemongrass
3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste

Directions:
Prep Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 45 mins
1 For the Nam Prik Gaeng Daeng paste: In a mortar and pestle, pound the ingredients for the red curry paste in the order listed, adding one at a time. Alternatively, a much easier method is to use a stick-blender. Blend all the paste ingredients together, with a few drops of water, until they form a fine paste.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/thai-red-curry-of-beef-124320#ixzz1C5WOQ9Zb

Last edited:
  • #3,540
Evo said:
I'm trying to get more adventurous with food. Got a recipe for Nam Prik Gaeng Daeng. mmmmmm

Daring! Delicious... great with noodle soups too...

Um... I'm sure you know this, but when you deal with those dried chilis, DON'T TOUCH YOUR EYES. I've read some posts about your... ah... occasional pratfalls, and that would be a painful one.

• #3,541
nismaratwork said:
and I still want to know who wants chicken from a guy in a viking hat wearing clocks.

:smile:

I didn't know he's 51.
51 and still wearing clocks...i don't know what else to say

OTOH I had some really delicious beef stew today:biggrin: This thread is making me puffy! *pokes sidefats*

• #3,542
OMG, super spicy hot red beef curry, it's the new chili. It's a la Evo, of course, no nasty stuff like cloves or star anise or coconut milk. This is Texas Curry!

• #3,543
Evo said:
OMG, super spicy hot red beef curry, it's the new chili. It's a la Evo, of course, no nasty stuff like cloves or star anise or coconut milk. This is Texas Curry!

Um, the star anise and coconut milk help to mitigate the heat... I'd put something into replace them, cut down on the chilies, or if you like to eat fire, then what the hell!

edit: Actually... the cloves have an anesthetic effect too. You're cutting out ALL of the things that balance the fire. Those dried Thai chilies can really get you in the back the throat in my experience...

• #3,544
nismaratwork said:
Um, the star anise and coconut milk help to mitigate the heat... I'd put something into replace them, cut down on the chilies, or if you like to eat fire, then what the hell!
It had potatoes and rice.

It's delicious.

• #3,545
Evo said:
It had potatoes and rice.

It's delicious.

Sounds good, but you must love your spice.

• #3,546
nismaratwork said:
Sounds good, but you must love your spice.
My lips have that bee sting look.

• #3,547
Evo said:
My lips have that bee sting look.

Mmmm... Angelina... :!)

• #3,548
How about a shepherd's pie for dinner? Now that's comfort food.

• #3,549
Recently I had my first experience with Potbelly's dream bar. If you love sweets, this is the greatest thing you will ever eat! It is chewy, chocolatey, crispy, and delicious! I highly suggest that even those who do consider themselves a sweets lover to try it! Or, of course their oatmeal chocolate chip cookie is always delicious!

• #3,550
Evo said:

Oh hell yes!

barcelona5: Never heard of them... I have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

• #3,551
Three more days... I smell sausage in the air.

• #3,552
Evo said:

OK, but please not with lamb...I'm not a lamb fan.

• #3,553
Evo said:

:!)

• #3,554
This kind of made me feel ill.

[PLAIN]http://consumerist.com/digiornopizzaandcookies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,555
Do you use reddit lisab? I saw that on there yesterday.

• #3,556
Kevin_Axion said:
Do you use reddit lisab? I saw that on there yesterday.

No, my daughter posted it on her facebook page. Guess it's gone viral...not sure if the manufacturer would really mind, though!

• #3,557
lisab said:
OK, but please not with lamb...I'm not a lamb fan.
No, I use ground beef, and someone said, well, that's not shepherd's pie. OH YEAH?? My shepherd's have cows.

• #3,558
Evo said:
No, I use ground beef, and someone said, well, that's not shepherd's pie. OH YEAH?? My shepherd's have cows.

:smile: Yay!

• #3,559
lisab said:
this kind of made me feel ill.

[PLAIN]http://consumerist.com/digiornopizzaandcookies.jpg[/quote]omg, no!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,560
lisab said:
No, my daughter posted it on her facebook page. Guess it's gone viral...not sure if the manufacturer would really mind, though!

I wonder if it was intentional or they are just that weird...

• #3,561
rootX said:
I wonder if it was intentional or they are just that weird...

Thank god, I did too. I wouldn't put it past someone in marketing to stop the laughter in the boardroom with a, "What if, this is what they REALLY want? Sweetened dough set with chocolate chips, and you finish baking them yourself... and we'll put white chocolate cheese and red licorice discs of pepperoni on it!"

The man (or woman?) at the head of the table barks back, "What kind of idiot proposes that? Who will eat a PIZZA-Cookie?!"

...and that marketing genius, without missing a beat looks his boss straight in the eyes and says, "We can always count on drunks and stoners!"

The boss pauses, his outrage derailed. "Make it happen."

:-p

Edit: If you're not laughing, maybe it IS realistic, or I'm not funny. If you ARE laughing, I have a one "word" response: 'Tropolis'.

• #3,562
nismaratwork said:
Who will eat a PIZZA-Cookie?!"

me. I am sO hungry -_-

• #3,563
Evo said:
:smile:
I <3 shepherd's pie with ground beef.

• #3,564
HeLiXe said:
me. I am sO hungry -_-

OK, You're worrying me! I think I'd go for eating my shoes before I ate a pepperoni cookie.

Unless... if this was during the Holi fesitval... yeah I could see eating that. :biggrin:

• #3,565
Evo said:

No, no, no ... it's the shepherds that go in the pie. That's why it's called "shepherds pie" <face-palm>.

• #3,566
AlephZero said:
No, no, no ... it's the shepherds that go in the pie. That's why it's called "shepherds pie" <face-palm>.
And then, the sheep get to eat them!

• #3,567
OOOK... do NOT go hiking with Aleph or Turbo... check. :-p

• #3,568
AlephZero said:

turbo-1 said:
And then, the sheep get to eat them!

This makes me scared of the homemade chicken pot-pie I finished off last night (YUM!). Was it made of pots? I guess that would have been alright... if the chickens ate it and not me!

• #3,569
physics girl phd said:
This makes me scared of the homemade chicken pot-pie I finished off last night (YUM!). Was it made of pots? I guess that would have been alright... if the chickens ate it and not me!

OK, I can help!

When you first stuck your fork in the pie... did it meow?

:devil:

• #3,570
Mmm! Just polished off the last of the huge vegetable sub from the artisan butcher-shop/deli. My wife took in two bags of garlic yesterday (equal amounts of German and Russian garlic) and told the proprietor that she could have them for $5/lb. She grabbed the bags, weighed them and paid up, then started showing the garlic to other customers in the store and drumming up interest. Her husband came out of the back and told my wife that the sample garlic she dropped off a few weeks ago was almost gone and that it is "the best garlic ever". Maybe I should have planted more...

Anyway, my wife bought some sliced sharp cheese, a ham, and one of their huge vegetable subs. After returning the cash from the garlic, she had to kick in another 18 cents. We both ate that sub for supper last night, and there was enough left over for me to have a nice lunch today. Tracy knows that we prefer hotter peppers, so she kept out the banana peppers and loaded the sub with crispy jalapeno slices instead. She's not a bit shy with the marinated mushrooms and ripe olives either. Great sandwiches!