What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,271
Muenster cheese is just delicious. Yum.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,272
I finished up the last of the buffalo meatloaf tonight, with a side of the spicy-vegetable soup.

• #4,273
I love fried ripe tomatoes. Lightly dusted with flour, a sprinkle of sea salt and fried until soft with crisp crust. I'm drooling. They would be good with muenster cheese too.

• #4,274
I got back to bread baking again. It's been a while, but I've been craving good, crusty bread, and that's nowhere to be found in stores around here (we have bakeries, but none that are any good). I made the best bread EVER yesterday, and it was the first time I've made a loaf without using any recipe. The sponge ended up the perfect density for sandwiches, the crust perfectly crispy, even if it looked a little funny in shape, and I got a really good flavor into it by doing a sourdough starter, but only letting it go a day before using it, so not very sour, just a sort of rich flavor from it, and using a little whole wheat flour blended with regular white flour. I think I got the proportions just right for my tastes. Of course, I used no recipe, which means I'll never make the same bread again! :cry: Still, after years of following recipes, I'm happy I finally got the knack for it to make it without a recipe and have it come out not just edible, but good!

• #4,275
I miss bread. I haven't had any in almost a year. But I sure feel better! [blood sugar issues]

• #4,276
That reminds me I need to dust off my bread-kneader and start baking my own. I just need to find a good source of flour (one that is not overpriced), dried fruits and nuts. A wholesale store might be a good start.
Ivan Seeking said:
I miss bread. I haven't had any in almost a year. But I sure feel better! [blood sugar issues]
I can't imagine living without bread, what do you eat as a replacement during the day?

• #4,277
I don't do bread either but I did like a bread that was called "health nut" but unfortunately Arnold bought it out, renamed one of their recipes "health nut" and stopped producing the original which was amazing. The original was a whole grain blend with a lot of walnuts in it and a great chewy texture and rich flavor that didn't taste like burnt crust.

The absolute tastiest bread I ever ate was one a family member made as a teen. It was the recipe on the bread flour bag and I can't find it anywhere. We made it in a French White round casserole dish and it ended up looking like a big mushroom as it bulged over the top. We would eat the whole loaf at one sitting with a bit of PUBLIX butter (best tasting butter so far and cheap).

• #4,278
I couldn't do without bread. My wife makes the best French bread available anywhere. She saw a demo at a kneading seminar (part of a 3-day conference) and bought an instructional DVD featuring the baker (nuclear-sub safety guy who also works for King Arthur Flour). Ingredients are unbleached white flour, water, yeast, and salt. That's it. She uses that base dough to make variations of the bread containing ripe olives, garlic, herbs, etc (alone or in combination). Very popular stuff with our friends and neighbors.

• #4,279
Here's 2 recipes that are favourites in our house. There's no quantities for the crumble as there never was a recipe as such to begin with, it sort of evolved into its current state.

Apple and raisin crumble

Chop apples, place in pan with some honey and brown sugar, make this slightly over sweet.

Add lemon juice, stew the apples on the hob,

Put raisins into orange juice and leave over night, do this the night before.

when the apples just start to soften add the raisins.

cook for another 3 mins, add the cinnamon

place in tin, sprinkle crumble over top and then cookScones

8 ounces plain flour, think you call it all - purpose
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 ounce sugar + extra for glaze
2 ounces butter, cut this up into small pieces
3 ounces raisins or cherries
2 tsp Lemon juice (doesn't have to be freshly squeezed)
2.5 fl ounces strawberry yoghurt
2.5 fl ounces milk + extra for glaze

Soak raisins overnight.
Mix flour, b powder, salt and sugar together.
Rub in butter until like breadcrumbs.
Add raisins and mix.
Add lemon juice and mix.
Mix yoghurt and milk in jug.
Add yoghurt and milk mixture in stages until it just forms a dough (its better if its too dry)
Turn out onto board.
Only knead enough to bring it into a ball.
Roll out until its about 2 - 3 inches deep.
Cut into rounds with cutter or glass.
Place on floured baking tray - it must be floured and not greased as grease can burn the bottom of the scone.
Brush tops with milk and sprinkle over some sugar.
Place in preheated oven at 200°C for 10 - 15 minutes.
Once they start to brown on the top lift one out and cut to see if they're cooked through.Leave to cool and serve with jam and cream

• #4,280
cheese breads for diabetics

preheat to 475 F

12 ounces white crumbling Colombian or Mexican cheese
1/3 cup yucca flour (any hispanic grocery - yucarina)
1 egg
2 tablespoons almond flour (organic section in grocery like Publix) (recipe calls for corn meal but the almond flour works fine)
2 teaspoons sugar (optional I don't use it) 1 teaspoon salt (I don't use it either)

Put the yucca starch, corn meal and cheese in the food processor for about 15 seconds (you can add salt here but I don't use it either)

Add the egg to the mixture and process for 2 minutes. It will initially make a ball but then get softer and thinner and spread out.

Roll into balls and put on a cookie sheet or just drop into a muffin pan. You can make pretzel like shapes too. The dough is soft and sticky. I use a spoon to dig it out of the food processor and just shape it a bit. sometimes I just do it like drop biscuits.

Turn oven down to 425 and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bottom is golden. Serve hot. Reheat if they get cold. They aren't good cold.

There are many variations you can do. I've use a little Parmesan (the good kind), red pepper flakes and you can top with the smuckers lower sugar jam too.

• #4,281
Ivan Seeking said:

How are you getting through life without bread?

• #4,282
Monique said:
I can't imagine living without bread, what do you eat as a replacement during the day?

I don't. The reason I feel better is that I'm not consuming all of those carbs. I try to get most of my carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables, and milk, and otherwise eat a high-protein diet.

I went on an Atkins-like diet plan for five months and lost thirty pounds. But my carb intake was severely limited. Now I eat far more carbs but still keep them to a minimum. When on the full-blown diet, my carb intake was limited to I think about 20 or 25 grams per day. That was tough - that's two tortillas a day, max! I know this is all controversial but I feel better than I have in years.

I haven't used processed sugar in a year either. That was another big hurdle for me!

Last edited:
  • #4,283
I actually go long periods of time without bread. I don't like store bought bread and don't have time to bake it regularly, and just don't miss it much. That makes it seem so much better when I do bake and get a good loaf. My usual carb vice is potatoes.

• #4,284
I did the super low carb thing for a while then switched to low glycemic index. it worked just as well. Generally feeling more energetic.

My weakness is mac and cheese so I switched from mac to tofu cut in thin strips - egg plus cheese plus milk or cream over the tofu is fantastic.

Last edited:
  • #4,285
Moonbear said:
My usual carb vice is potatoes.

Thanksgiving is a total loss now. :biggrin: No taters, no sweet taters with marshmellows on top, no breads, no pumpkin pie, :cry::cry::cry:

Actually, I can cheat a bit now and get away with a bit of dessert. But all of those foods are off the menu.

Netgypsy, I always include the glycemic index when making food choices. No argument here.

• #4,286
There are some potato sticks (Tractor supply of all places) that are quite low carb (high fat of course) but they make a nice snack if you don't overdo them. Also if you use the red potatoes and soak them overnight, drain and add the mayo, some vinegar and seasonings it's pretty low also. Again small portion. Allowing to sit in the frig again overnight supposedly drops the glycemic index even lower. And al dente pasta is pretty low especially if you load up on the sauce.

• #4,287
After eating the best homemade french bread since I was old enough to eat solid food, within the last 6 months I discovered plain white bread. I can't get enough of it. I crave sandwiches made with the stuff. It's soft and smooshy and tasty. :redface:

I feel like I'm in the confessional "Forgive me Father for I have sinned".

Last edited:
  • #4,288
I can't even remember the last time I ate plain white bread... I know I had some in 1979. Beyond that, all bets are off.

Tsu still likes to get Wonder Bread on rare occassions for grilled cheese sandwiches. She might have done that two or three times over 25 years. I think I had one piece once.

• #4,289
After eating what they call bread in London, I always wondered what they call a bread in US.

• #4,290
Borek said:
After eating what they call bread in London, I always wondered what they call a bread in US.

Wonder Bread is to real bread what a hot dog is to a steak.

Oddly, people who like plain white bread don't like Jackie Evancho.

• #4,291
Evo said:
After eating the best homemade french bread since I was old enough to eat solid food, within the last 6 months I discovered plain white bread. I can't get enough of it. I crave sandwiches made with the stuff. It's soft and smooshy and tasty. :redface:

I feel like I'm in the confessional "Forgive me Father for I have sinned".

I eat a half loaf of Honey Wheat at a setting. :rolleyes:

• #4,292
dlgoff said:
I eat a half loaf of Honey Wheat at a setting. :rolleyes:
That's my father's vice. Toast it and butter it and sprinkle garlic powder on the butter.

My only forays into white-bread territory are rolls for hot dogs.

• #4,293
We always called regular white bread - "gummy white bread". As kids we would pull out the center of several slices, wad it up into a dough like ball and eat it. The critical attribute of the ball wad was that it had a faint gray color caused by dirty children hands so when you bit out a chunk the interior was snow white. It's still the best for grilled cheese sandwiches. Fried in a frying pan floating in butter. There are two schools of thought on making a grilled cheese - the "load on the mayo" and the YUK, mayo is nasty on grilled cheese. Sometimes we added cooked bacon and tomato slices. YUMMMM

Last edited:
  • #4,294
Ivan Seeking said:
I can't even remember the last time I ate plain white bread... I know I had some in 1979. Beyond that, all bets are off.
I need to know why this date.

• #4,295
nobahar said:
I need to know why this date.

Haha, a family thing.

• #4,296
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't. The reason I feel better is that I'm not consuming all of those carbs. I try to get most of my carbs from fresh fruits and vegetables, and milk, and otherwise eat a high-protein diet.
I didn't mean what you eat as a carb replacement, that appears to be your answer. You must eat something for breakfast and lunch, right? :smile: Do you cook special meals, or do you eat dinner left overs? Many countries have warm meals for lunch, but in the Netherlands a sandwich with cheese or sandwich meat is the standard. I wouldn't have time to eat a warm meal during breakfast/lunch, I usually eat a sandwich on-the-go.

• #4,297
I'm a stay-at-home dad for Duke, so I can raid the refrigerator and nuke some leftovers for breakfast/lunch. Never did the commercially-prepared sandwich thing anyway, though. I was a dedicated brown-bagger, even all through college.

• #4,298
This is a proper breakfast round my way.

SSL20256.jpg

The photo isn't mine but that is definitely what an Ulster fry should look like.

• #4,299
Monique said:
I didn't mean what you eat as a carb replacement, that appears to be your answer. You must eat something for breakfast and lunch, right? :smile: Do you cook special meals, or do you eat dinner left overs? Many countries have warm meals for lunch, but in the Netherlands a sandwich with cheese or sandwich meat is the standard. I wouldn't have time to eat a warm meal during breakfast/lunch, I usually eat a sandwich on-the-go.

Ah. When I made the big change, the first thing was to go with a high-quality protein drink for breakfast. What has really helped also is that the stores now have nice selection of prepared trays of mixed fruits and vegies, so, unless I'm slacking, those are a constant, any time of day. I eat a lot of cheese, roast chicken, with ~ as much tuna as the government recommends [mercury]. Peanut butter is a constant, often with celery, but sometimes I just take a bit with some sugar-free jelly and have a PB sandwich in a bowl - without the bread. For a long time I couldn't eat peanuts [GI distress] but that seems to be fine now, so nuts are back in the diet. And I still eat a lot of tacos! They can be a very healthy, low-carb meal if prepared properly. And even with fast food, occasionally I treat myself to a lettuce-wrapped burger. Most places offer Atkins-friendly options.

Last edited:
  • #4,300
A whey protein drink, btw.

Another big change is in the use of salt. I don't put any salt in while cooking anymore. I just lightly salt the exterior of the food, which generally provides as much or more flavor than adding when cooking. It is amazing how one's tastes can change in this regard. Foods that I used to love, like bacon, are now almost too much to tolerate. In fact I hardly ever buy bacon anymore - maybe a few times a year. And as a kid I loooooooved Spam sandwiches. Recently I tried Spam and couldn't eat it. It was like eating a salt lick! Bleh! Lately I've even caught myself trying to drown the salt from a pickle by taking very small bites. They taste almost too salty to eat now.

• #4,301
the lower sodium bacon is quite good. There are several brands who sell it now. I used to love those wax bottles with the colored water in them. YUKKK

• #4,302
I've had a bottle of capers in my frig for quite a while. I've used them in various dishes, but now I've found out what they're best with.

Sauteed veal.

Wow, but it was tasty.

• #4,303
Also chicken breast sauteed. drool

• #4,304
Some of my favorite meals are those that border on experiments.

Tonight, it was pasta (angel hair spaghetti) with:

Smoked bacon, cooked & crumbled & set aside
Tomatoes, cooked in a bit of the bacon grease for a few minutes, then -
Garlic
Spinach
Gorgonzola cheese

Toss in the pasta and bacon. Whoa baby.

• #4,305
That sounds really good, Lisa.