What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,311
If i wasn't majoring in physics and engineering, I'd probably want to be a Baker

:P

though, I do not see why I can't do both?

maybe when I'm older i'll open a bakery :P

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,312
turbo-1 said:
He asked if I had Native American heritage, and I told him that I did, on both sides of the family. I guess that would have been a really handy "talent" to have if you were foraging for mushrooms and found some that were not known to be safe...
I'm going to be looking for some of these very soon here. Do you have a nose for them?
[PLAIN]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9899/img08272.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,313
vorcil said:
If i wasn't majoring in physics and engineering, I'd probably want to be a Baker

:P

though, I do not see why I can't do both?

maybe when I'm older i'll open a bakery :P

Just remember, vorcil: in math ∏r2, but in baking pie are round.

• #2,314
No nose. Just taste-touch. If I touched a broken piece to my tongue and reacted with revulsion and perhaps nausea and vomiting, you'd be well-advised to steer clear.

• #2,315
dlgoff said:
I'm going to be looking for some of these very soon here. Do you have a nose for them?
[PLAIN]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9899/img08272.jpg[/QUOTE]A girl I work with has them growing in her yard (she says) she's also the one that thought hysop was mint.

Dl, If i quit my job, can I shack up on your property? Turbo won't let me live in his root cellar until I skin and gut a moose. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,317
The dish is most commonly made by serving fried chicken with a waffle, the waffle then typically being covered with butter or syrup (as is common practice among those who eat waffles for breakfast in the United States). This unusual combination of foods is beloved by many people who are influenced by traditions of soul food passed down from past generations of their families [1].

A version of this dish mostly known within areas that have Pennsylvania Dutch influences consists of a plain waffle with pulled, stewed chicken on top, covered in gravy...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles

Huh, I had never heard of it before.

• #2,318
Aretha Franklin has a restaurant that sells fried chicken and waffles, it was on the Food Network. Not something I would eat together.

• #2,319
Every other meat is served with a breakfast---I'd at least try it (maybe honey glazed)

• #2,320
rewebster said:
Every other meat is served with a breakfast---I'd at least try it (maybe honey glazed)
There is nothing that I'll eat for lunch or supper that I will not eat for breakfast, and in any combination. I really don't care. French toast with ham or roast beef? Is that any different from French toast with bacon, which you can get anywhere? Why not chicken, and why not with waffles?

• #2,321
turbo-1 said:
There is nothing that I'll eat for lunch or supper that I will not eat for breakfast, and in any combination. I really don't care. French toast with ham or roast beef? Is that any different from French toast with bacon, which you can get anywhere? Why not chicken, and why not with waffles?
Because they pour maple syrup on the chicken. I do not eat any meat with maple syrup on it.

Sweet + meat = not fit to eat

• #2,322
Evo said:
Dl, If i quit my job, can I shack up on your property? Turbo won't let me live in his root cellar until I skin and gut a moose. :frown:
Do you know how to fry morels? You know,... egg and milk batter with cracker crumbs fried in butter. If so, Okay.

BTW. I went mushroom hunting today after work but had no luck since it's been too dry. We need a nice warm spring rain.

• #2,323
Evo said:
Because they pour maple syrup on the chicken. I do not eat any meat with maple syrup on it.

there goes the honey glazed ham, or anything with bar-b-que sauce

• #2,324
rewebster said:
You should know this of Evo by now. :devil:

• #2,325
rewebster said:

dlgoff said:
You should know this of Evo by now. :devil:
Barbeque sauce is an exception, as long as it's not too sweet, as is Panda Express orange chicken.

• #2,326
Evo said:

I make my killer smoked Atlantic salmon with a glaze made of cracked pepper and maple syrup. If some drone on the Food Network stumbled onto it, it would the next coming of Christ. Right now, it is the favorite Christmas treat for a bunch of nieces and nephews. Set down the dish, and it's GONE.

• #2,327
I love chicken and waffles, but I use honey, not maple syrup.

• #2,328
Rant time again. Food fads driving up the cost of foods that used to be dirt cheap. I was looking at chicken at the store earlier tonight. Chicken wings were $2.69 per pound. There is no meat on them, but because they're a fad, people will pay it. I bought beautiful, meaty, little chicken legs for 99 cents per pound. I'm going to cook them like buffalo wings.

• #2,329
Evo said:
Rant time again. Food fads driving up the cost of foods that used to be dirt cheap. I was looking at chicken at the store earlier tonight. Chicken wings were $2.69 per pound. There is no meat on them, but because they're a fad, people will pay it. I bought beautiful, meaty, little chicken legs for 99 cents per pound. I'm going to cook them like buffalo wings.

buffalo wings and waffles---so you're going to try it after all, huh?

• #2,330
Evo said:
I'm surprised that it took this long for the fad to get out there. There was a reason that my wife and I were able to get thighs for cheap 35 years ago: Maine has laws regarding liquor licenses that are far less restrictive on taverns than on bars. To meet the definition of a tavern, your establishment has to serve prepared food (not just snacks), and hot chicken wings and drumsticks were cheap, popular and easy to prepare. Plus, if you made them spicy-hot, customers would drink more beer.

The local meat-packer rarely had to put wings and drumsticks on special because the tavern-owners were buying them up. Thighs, on the other hand, were often on sale (cheap!) because they had lots of them on-hand after parting out the broilers.

• #2,331
thighs are my favorite--hmmm, yes, they are

• #2,332
rewebster said:
We could get big tubs of chicken thighs and livers at the packing-house retail store for cheap. That was our primary source of meat when times were lean.

• #2,333
rewebster said:
Thighs are my favorite too, but I thought I'd do a play on the "wings" with the drumsticks.

I can't believe that they chop the wings into three pieces, discard the tip and sell each remaining "half" of a wing for 50 cents to a dollar each and people buy them. There's about a teaspoon of meat on one. Besides the recipe I came up with for Buffalo wings is the best I have ever tasted.

• #2,334
I just bought 25 thighs from Popeyes---they've got a 'special' ---5 for 2.99---froze about half---warm them first in the microwave, then into the toaster oven for about 2-3 minutes---and they taste just like they were 'fresh' (of course, topped with a few more spices first and then dribbled with honey) ---capitalized 'hmmmmm!'

• #2,335
rewebster said:
I just bought 25 thighs from Popeyes---they've got a 'special' ---5 for 2.99---froze about half---warm them first in the microwave, then into the toaster oven for about 2-3 minutes---and they taste just like they were 'fresh' (of course, topped with a few more spices first and then dribbled with honey) ---capitalized 'hmmmmm!'
I love "professional" fried chicken. They can do it in a way that you can't do at home unless you go the deep fryer route. I remember when I was little, a deep fryer, when you lived in the south, was always on the counter and rarely got cold, chicken, doughnuts, fried okra.

I've noticed recently that cooking in bacon grease has come back into fashion, BIG TIME. All of the cooking shows lately are extolling the wonders of cooking everything in bacon grease. They are even recommending keeping leftover bacon grease in a can for use when you aren't cooking bacon. My mom always had a can of bacon drippings at the back of the stove, it's was specifically made for drippings and even had the words embossed on it. Finally, people realizing that if you're going to eat, it should taste great, just don't eat a ton of it.

• #2,336
Evo said:
My mom always had a can of bacon drippings at the back of the stove, it's was specifically made for drippings and even had the words embossed on it. Finally, people realizing that if you're going to eat, it should taste great, just don't eat a ton of it.

same here--most often used for fried eggs

IF I want chicken (fried)--there's no way that I could buy the chicken, spend the time to fry it, and have it come out the way they prepare it for the '5 for 2.99'

• #2,337
My favorite tavern back in the college town used to sell Buffalo wings and drumsticks done up in the same sauce. The drumsticks were the more expensive of the two, and you got more meat. They'd cut through the skin above the joint, and push the skin toward the meaty end, leaving a "handle" of bare bone to grab the drumstick with.

They sold pizzas and some sandwiches, too, but being in a college town, they had lots of competition on those fronts. Their wings and drumsticks set them apart.

I have never eaten at a Popeye's. Somebody opened a franchise store right next to a very large truck-stop in Newport, and they seem to be quite busy, so as fried chicken goes, it's probably pretty good. Somebody should have considered putting a 24/hr Waffle House there, too. Truckers seem to like to be able to grab breakfast any time of day.

• #2,338
turbo-1 said:
My favorite tavern back in the college town used to sell Buffalo wings and drumsticks done up in the same sauce. The drumsticks were the more expensive of the two, and you got more meat. They'd cut through the skin above the joint, and push the skin toward the meaty end, leaving a "handle" of bare bone to grab the drumstick with.

They sold pizzas and some sandwiches, too, but being in a college town, they had lots of competition on those fronts. Their wings and drumsticks set them apart.

I have never eaten at a Popeye's. Somebody opened a franchise store right next to a very large truck-stop in Newport, and they seem to be quite busy, so as fried chicken goes, it's probably pretty good. Somebody should have considered putting a 24/hr Waffle House there, too. Truckers seem to like to be able to grab breakfast any time of day.

Nice, the Southern truckers don't have to go far to get their fried chicken and waffles.

• #2,339
Ok, Evo is going to attempt making sushi with RAW TUNA! They had "supposedly" sashimi grade yellowfin tuna on sale for cheap today, so I bought a small piece. It did have a disclaimer that it was previosly frozen, well this IS Kansas, so I would expect that, but why the hell did they thaw it to sell it? If it's frozen, leave it frozen. I will thaw it when I make the sushi. Thawing it and letting it sit on ice exposed to air just dries it out. Fools. I'm assuming that's why they cut the price, sell it or chuck it.

Where is ~christina~ when I need her? I want to know if this has worms, without looking it up. Where is that worm woman?

• #2,340
Evo said:
Ok, Evo is going to attempt making sushi with RAW TUNA! They had "supposedly" sashimi grade yellowfin tuna on sale for cheap today, so I bought a small piece. It did have a disclaimer that it was previosly frozen, well this IS Kansas, so I would expect that, but why the hell did they thaw it to sell it? If it's frozen, leave it frozen. I will thaw it when I make the sushi. Thawing it and letting it sit on ice exposed to air just dries it out. Fools. I'm assuming that's why they cut the price, sell it or chuck it.

Where is ~christina~ when I need her? I want to know if this has worms, without looking it up. Where is that worm woman?

I hope you didn't buy it here :wink:.

fw05-bait.jpg

• #2,341
lisab said:
I hope you didn't buy it here :wink:.

fw05-bait.jpg
Why yes, yes it was! The sashimi master, Bubba, explained to me that I was buying the rarest form of Ahi tuna, looking quite similar to catfish, with the whiskers and all, they catch them in the creek behind the shack.

You learn something new every day. Since this is my first time with raw Ahi, I really appreciated his knowledge of this Japanese delicacy.

• #2,342
Evo said:
Why yes, yes it was! The sashimi master, Bubba, explained to me that I was buying the rarest form of Ahi tuna, looking quite similar to catfish, with the whiskers and all, they catch them in the creek behind the shack.

You learn something new every day. Since this is my first time with raw Ahi, I really appreciated his knowledge of this Japanese delicacy.

Ahahaaahaaa...lol...

• #2,343
Here is the Ahi tuna sushi, I just made it with tuna and cucumber. It's not fancy, I just whipped it up to eat, not to look at. As you can see I love soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi.

Evo child suggested we make some with cream cheese, smoked salmon and cucumber. Oooh, yes.

Anyway, that sushi shooter I bought is awesome. :!)

006tm.jpg

• #2,344
Evo said:
Here is the Ahi tuna sushi, I just made it with tuna and cucumber. It's not fancy, I just whipped it up to eat, not to look at. As you can see I love soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi.

Evo child suggested we make some with cream cheese, smoked salmon and cucumber. Oooh, yes.

Anyway, that sushi shooter I bought is awesome. :!)

006tm.jpg
I don't even like fish, but this looks really yummy. I guess you still have all your fingers? :devil:

• #2,345
Yep, all fingers intact. Damn, this is easy. I know they say that people train for years just to learn how to make the rice, but I actually prefer the sushi that I learned to make in 30 minutes to the sushi I had by a 4 star Michelin Chef in one of Tokyo's finest restaurants, some of which I had to spit into a potted plant when no one was watching. Of course I also would kill for a Hardee's Angus Thickburger. :-p

The raw tuna is excellent, almost no smell or taste, just enough flavor to know it's there. Very delicate. Of course where I bought it has "real Japanese people making sushi on premise". Yep, I bought it at the corner Hen House market, home of Japanese cuisine in Kansas. :smile: