What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,591
DaveC426913 said:
Bacon & Eggs - of the Sea

00093gff.jpg

Went out for Teppanyaki.

Hot Saki with lobster chowder and a sushi boat, followed by
salmon, scallops, shrimp, crab legs, chicken, steak and rice.

mmmmm.
Teppanyaki is fun. Looks delicious!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,592
DaveC426913 said:
Bacon & Eggs - of the Sea

00093gff.jpg

Went out for Teppanyaki.

Hot Saki with lobster chowder and a sushi boat, followed by
salmon, scallops, shrimp, crab legs, chicken, steak and rice.

mmmmm.
Is that arrow pointing to the green stuff inside the lobster? If so that is not roe, but tomalley. A tasty soft organ that does the functions of liver and maybe pancreas, too. In our family, there could be pitched trading-sessions over that. "I'll swap a tail for two claws!" "OK, but you have to throw in the tomalley."

• #2,593
Evo said:
Teppanyaki is fun. Looks delicious!

This lobster is RAW...YOU DONKEY!

How much money are you loosing each week?

• #2,594
turbo-1 said:
Is that arrow pointing to the green stuff inside the lobster?
No, the red egglike stuff.
I ate the liver too. (though I had my reservations about eating the toxin-removing liver organ of a bottom-feeding critter...)

Cyrus said:
This lobster is RAW...YOU DONKEY!
Raw? Raw lobsters are grey-blue. You can tell it's cooked because it's red.

• #2,595
DaveC426913 said:
I ate the liver too. (though I had my reservations about eating the toxin-removing liver organ of a bottom-feeding critter...)

Reminds me of the Original Iron Chef "look, he just put in the crab brains". Do you know how tiny a crab brain is? They're a beautiful blue color raw, then turn bright orange when cooked.

• #2,596
DaveC426913 said:

Why don't you stop telling me a bunch of BULLOCKS! That's it, shut it down.

• #2,597
Cyrus said:
Why don't you stop telling me a bunch of BULLOCKS! That's it, shut it down.

This is one of those off-meds days, yes? :-p

• #2,598
DaveC426913 said:
This is one of those off-meds days, yes? :-p
He's referring to a popular cooking show hosted by Chef Gordon Ramsay. :-p

And he meant BOLLOCKS!

• #2,599
Evo said:
He's referring to a popular cooking show hosted by Chef Gordon Ramsay. :-p

And he meant BOLLOCKS!

Oh yeeeah. Mr. "I'm off my Meds" Himself.

• #2,600
evo said:
he's referring to a popular cooking show hosted by chef gordon ramsay. :-p

And he meant bollocks!

It's called non stick because its ****ing NON STICKKKKKK!

• #2,601
DaveC426913 said:

Maybe he's just embarrassed because he's nekkid.

• #2,602
Cyrus said:
It's called non stick because its ****ing NON STICKKKKKK!
Cyrus, did you see the moron that tried to fight Ramsay? I posted the link in chat just as you left yesterday.

• #2,603
I cooked supper tonight in my non-stick pans. They are antique cast-iron pans with smoothly-machined interiors - well seasoned. For my supper, I fried a couple of hot dogs. There was NO reason to use any oil as I heated and browned the dogs. You can't say that for most non-stick cookware - regardless of the hype used to sell them. Good luck with the "green" stuff, Evo. Reviews are split about 50:50 between "wonderful" and "awful" with little middle ground.

My wife had a turkey-burger. They don't hold together all that well unless your pan is REALLY non-stick. Mine are.

• #2,604
Evo said:
Cyrus, did you see the moron that tried to fight Ramsay? I posted the link in chat just as you left yesterday.

:smile: Yeah, because he 'aint nobodies *****.'

• #2,605
Cyrus said:
:smile: Yeah, because he 'aint nobodies *****.'
I wonder if any restaurant that recognized him from that show would dare hire him. :rolleyes:

• #2,606
My wife takes a garden salad to work every day for lunch, so I make sure she has nice seasoned croutons. Cube some decent bread (this is home-made beer-barrel rye) about 1/2" or so. Put the cubes in a large bowl and dust liberally with garlic powder and onion powder, then season to taste with crushed oregano, black pepper, salt, powdered chipotle, and smoked paprika. Mix thoroughly with your hands and when the bread and seasonings are well-distributed, drizzle on the extra-virgin olive oil and mix again until all the bread cubes are coated. Spread out on a cooking sheet and slide that into a 375 deg oven for about 1/2 hour, turning the croutons about half-way through. I find I get much better results using the convection feature on our oven as opposed to simple baking. Check them at 25 minutes or so and pull them out of the oven before they get too hard and crunchy. They will dry and get crispier in texture as they sit cooling on the tray. Pop the croutons into a tight-lidded plastic container when they have cooled, and stick 'em in the pantry. They are much better than anything you can buy, and they last very well. I know when I have to whip up another batch because when the container is running low, my wife leaves it out on the counter. (Hey!)

croutons.jpg

• #2,607
Very nice turbo. I'd eat more salads if I had a bag of these. :hint: I might just have to try making some sometimes.

Thanks

• #2,608
dlgoff said:
Very nice turbo. I'd eat more salads if I had a bag of these. :hint: I might just have to try making some sometimes.

Thanks
They are drop-dead easy to make, and if you can pick up some decent bread that's near its expiration date, you can save money on that end. Got a bakery that makes decent rye or whole wheat? You might be able to get a good deal on day-old or two-day-old bread. Whole-grain breads make much nicer croutons than white bread.

• #2,609
turbo-1 said:
They are drop-dead easy to make, and if you can pick up some decent bread that's near its expiration date, you can save money on that end. Got a bakery that makes decent rye or whole wheat? You might be able to get a good deal on day-old or two-day-old bread. Whole-grain breads make much nicer croutons than white bread.
You forgot about the 3 other times you posted your crouton recipe. :smile: I remembered because they did sound delicious.

• #2,610
Evo said:
You forgot about the 3 other times you posted your crouton recipe. :smile: I remembered because they did sound delicious.
Well, this post is illustrated. :devil: I like making them because it makes the house smell good. Even Duke likes them - chipotle, paprika and all.

My brother called a couple of nights ago and asked for some guidance on making smoked New England-style baked beans on the grill. I may have started a fad. It started out as a way to keep the house cooler on a hot day, and he's telling his buddies that they are the BEST beans he's ever had. He's a pretty dedicated griller/smoker, so I'm sure he'll follow through. He has a friend that caters large parties with a portable smoker/grill trailer - roast pigs, burgers, dogs, chicken, salads and baked beans. I have a sneaking suspicion that smoked baked beans might be on his menu options soon.

• #2,611
turbo-1 said:
Well, this post is illustrated. :devil: I like making them because it makes the house smell good. Even Duke likes them - chipotle, paprika and all.
You can come here and make them anytime. And the picture is great.

I'm finding myself repeating things. Evo Child loves to cut me off and tell me "ok, I know, you already told me". But did I tell you *this*? "mommy, no one cares". :frown: I think I will have that engraved on my tombstone.

• #2,612
I'm still refining the "recipe" on the croutons and trying to dial in the right cube-size, temperature, time, etc to get crispy without hard and dry. I can't post quantities, though, because if I get anal and start measuring stuff, it comes out wrong. With all my sauces, marinades, casseroles, etc, I just "wing it".

My mother was the same. I had an aunt who ran a catering business out of her home, and she was always asking my mother for recipes of her best dishes, and when my mother tried to nail down quantities, etc for dishes that she normally just made on the fly, my aunt would screw up the dishes and accuse my mother of not telling her everything because the dishes came out wrong. What's worse is that my mother's brother would praise her food to high heaven, really ticking of his wife. Thanksgivings could be tense when relatives asked which dishes my mother had cooked and then piled them on their plates preferentially.

• #2,613
Evo said:
I think I will have that engraved on my tombstone.
If you're like me, you'll probably forget about it by tomorrow. :frown:

Edit: Oh. Before I forget, it could happen sooner; like 5 minutes.

• #2,614
dlgoff said:
If you're like me, you'll probably forget about it by tomorrow. :frown:

Edit: Oh. Before I forget, it could happen sooner; like 5 minutes.
I had a snappy comeback composed, (I think). OK never mind. Anybody for shuffleboard?

• #2,616
Hmmm. The Venison Strips looks the best to me. I would let them marinade over night though. And I would use the loins/back-straps.

• #2,617
Looks like the 4th will be washed out if the weather forecast comes true dl. Did you have any plans to cook outside?

• #2,618
I haven't really made any 4th plans Evo. But when it comes to cooking, I do better with inside cooking.

• #2,619
After looking at the meat website, I want to dig a pit and roast a pig. I have never had a whole pig roasted to crispy perfection and every time I see Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern ripping pieces off of one I just ge all jiggly inside.

• #2,620
food! I really like the chicken Madeira from the cheesecake factory and I have been looking for a good recipe on the sauce.

• #2,621
HeLiXe said:
food! I really like the chicken Madeira from the cheesecake factory and I have been looking for a good recipe on the sauce.
I've never tried it, but here are some recipes that claim to be clones.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Copycat-Cheesecake-Factory-Chicken-Madeira-188770

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Chicken-Madeira-79656

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/512/Cheesecake-Factory-Chicken-Mad109027.shtml

There are so many, here's the google link.

http://www.google.com/search?source...S339US339&q=chicken+madeira+cheesecake+recipe

That will cost you $1.95 in unmarked pennies. :biggrin: I can't continue to look these things up for free.

• #2,622
:smile: Thanks Evo! I found some on the web but was wondering if anyone here ever tried them. I'll take a look at the ones you found.

unmarked pennies are in transmission.
http://www.niderost.com/coins/1847_LargeCent.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,623
Recipe: Grilled Zucchini or Summer Squash
http://www.greenthumbgeeks.com/2010/07/recipe-grilled-zucchini-or-summer-squash/

And for Evo when she develops her mushroom and cheese business.

Recipe: Portobello Mushroom and Ricotta Stuffed Squash
http://www.greenthumbgeeks.com/2010/06/recipe-portobello-mushroom-and-ricotta-stuffed-squash/

• #2,624
My wife spent $6 on a 15 oz jar of raw, fermented, organic sauerkraut made by "Real Pickles", which I thought was pretty steep. Nope! I just opened the jar and made a roast beef sandwich on homemade beer-barrel rye bread with hot mustard and 'kraut. It's a winner! I haven't had sauerkraut this good since I was a kid. Back then, the sauerkraut wasn't jarred - it was kept in stoneware crocks behind the meat counter of the local grocery store, alongside the kosher dill pickles, etc, and was sold by the pound. Funny - the meat counters in small country markets would be called "delis" today. That's were all the wheels of cheese, specialty foods, and other stuff sold by the pound were available, as well as processed and raw meats.

• #2,625
Astronuc said:
Recipe: Grilled Zucchini or Summer Squash
http://www.greenthumbgeeks.com/2010/07/recipe-grilled-zucchini-or-summer-squash/

Are you vegan Astronuc?:biggrin: I was vegetarian for a a couple of years and vegan for a loooooooong time.