What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,696
Ouabache said:
With that tastey stock from simmering the turkey carcass, you don't really need the chicken bouillion.
I added some for the flavor and saltiness, my personal taste.

You might want to saute a few minced cloves of garlic with that onion and toss a bay leaf or 2 in there.
I do that with my traditional bean soup, this one I wanted to taste different, it came out very well.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,697
nucleargirl said:
Hm, I checked this and apparently you should not even eat the edible kind fresh - they have some kind of chemical that makes the skin very photosensitive? I didn't understand it very well but I would stick to the dried kind from the Asian store just to be on the safe side.

What is the skinny on wild mushroom-picking? It is generally ill-advised, is it not? Because of the ease of misidentification.

I love mushrooms, and it would be fun to learn up on them and pick some, but I suspect this is not a good hobby to get into only halfway.

• #2,698
DaveC426913 said:
What is the skinny on wild mushroom-picking? It is generally ill-advised, is it not? Because of the ease of misidentification.

I love mushrooms, and it would be fun to learn up on them and pick some, but I suspect this is not a good hobby to get into only halfway.
Some mushrooms can closely resemble others at various stages of their lives. The father of a friend of mine was an old and experienced mushroom-gatherer, but he got fooled by a very poisonous mushroom. I forget the name, now (this was years ago) but the initial effects can be fatal, though they generally subside, only to roar back after a few days to cause the bulk of the fatalities. His father survived it, but was touch-and-go for a while.

• #2,699
turbo-1 said:
...the initial effects can be fatal, though they generally subside...
I know what you meant but this was kind of funny the way you worded it.

I'm imagining a fatal reaction - that subsides after a while. :biggrin:

(In the words of Monty Python: "Well I got better...")

• #2,700
DaveC426913 said:
I know what you meant but this was kind of funny the way you worded it.

I'm imagining a fatal reaction - that subsides after a while. :biggrin:

(In the words of Monty Python: "Well I got better...")
I'm not dead!

Edit: While the initial effects can result in fatalities, the worst of the symptoms can resolve, allowing the patient to think that he dodged a bullet. Then a few days later, vital organs like kidneys, liver, etc start shutting down - that's when the majority of the poisoned will die. I'll have to do a bit of research to see if I can dig up the 'shroom that did that to him. It might have been a member of the amanita family - they are quite plentiful in this area.

• #2,701
DaveC426913 said:
You'd be better off just learning to tell the difference between this one (morel)
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/morel%283%29.jpg
from this one (false morel)
[PLAIN]http://www.fungaljungal.org/guide/images/ptychoverpa_bohemica2_jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,702
Lat night I was shopping and found this amazing sampler pack of Pad Thai shrimp, dim sum, and other exotic asian treats all on sticks in a bag. I was in heaven, finally I could have a little smorgasbord of these treats.

Before I got to the cashier, someone pointed out that they were cloth and plastic cat toys, saying how cute it was.

I slunk off and put them back on the display and left.

It was a dream.

• #2,703
Evo said:
Lat night I was shopping and found this amazing sampler pack of Pad Thai shrimp, dim sum, and other exotic asian treats all on sticks in a bag. I was in heaven, finally I could have a little smorgasbord of these treats.

Before I got to the cashier, someone pointed out that they were cloth and plastic cat toys, saying how cute it was.

I slunk off and put them back on the display and left.

It was a dream.
Too bad! Could have saved some serious bucks! Paying for idealogical preferences on-line could have saved some bux!

• #2,704
dlgoff said:
You'd be better off just learning to tell the difference between this one (morel)
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/morel%283%29.jpg
from this one (false morel)
[PLAIN]http://www.fungaljungal.org/guide/images/ptychoverpa_bohemica2_jpg.jpg[/QUOTE]Are those bottom ones bad?

• #2,705
Evo said:
Are those bottom ones bad?
Yes. I was just trying to let Dave know that morels are the easiest one to identify with just the "false morel" being the only similar looking one. The morel is the only one I would be comfortable with eating.

• #2,706
dlgoff said:
Yes. I was just trying to let Dave know that morels are the easiest one to identify with just the "false morel" being the only similar looking one.

Spotting false morals, OTOH, is often quite difficult.

• #2,707
turbo-1 said:
Some mushrooms can closely resemble others at various stages of their lives. The father of a friend of mine was an old and experienced mushroom-gatherer, but he got fooled by a very poisonous mushroom. I forget the name, now (this was years ago) but the initial effects can be fatal, though they generally subside, only to roar back after a few days to cause the bulk of the fatalities. His father survived it, but was touch-and-go for a while.

Judging from the effects description here that would be Amanita phalloides, wiki states it is also present on the western coast.

We just have here a widely reported case of 6 y.o. boy who ate the mushroom, it completely destroyed his liver, he was lucky to get a transplant, he is still in ICU, docs say so far so good.

• #2,708
Borek said:
Judging from the effects description here that would be Amanita phalloides, wiki states it is also present on the western coast.
Probably the right one. We have Death-caps in this area. It's easy enough to avoid fly amanitas, but the death caps can look like edible mushrooms, which is how he probably got tripped up. He was in the hospital for a very long time.

• #2,709
Math Is Hard said:
Evo would eat notamorels.

• #2,710
Math Is Hard said:

If you wait long enough, they start to stink.

• #2,711
Hello, my name is Ivan, and I am a pot-sticker head.

I had my first pot sticker about fifteen years ago. I really liked them and would buy them from time to time, but always in moderation. However, over the last few years I have slowly succumb to total addiction. Worst of all, I compound this addiction by drenching the pot stickers in hot chili oil - another addiction! Mmmmmmm. I can't go Eastern anymore without getting pot stickers.

Today, I had Japanese gyoza for the first time - pretty much the same thing but a saltier sauce than the Chinese use. It was very tasty.

Jiǎozi 餃子 or 饺子 (Chinese transliteration), gyōza (Japanese transliteration), Mo:Mo: or Momocha म:म: or ममचा (Nepali transliteration), or pot sticker is a Chinese dumpling widely spread to Japan, Eastern and Western Asia.

Jiaozi typically consist of a ground meat and/or vegetable filling wrapped into a thinly rolled piece of dough, which is then sealed by pressing the edges together or by crimping. Jiaozi should not be confused with wonton: jiaozi have a thicker, chewier skin and a flatter, more oblate, double-saucer like shape (similar in shape to ravioli), and are usually eaten with a soy-vinegar dipping sauce (and/or hot chili sauce); while wontons have thinner skin, are sphere-shaped, and are usually served in broth. The dough for the jiaozi and wonton wrapper also consist of different ingredients.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaozi

• #2,712
One of my alltime favorites is Pho noodle although I have gotten very strict about how I enjoy them. There are many Pho Noodle places where I live and I can be picky about which ones I patron.

I prefer the superbowl minus tendon and fat brisket (too much fat in those). I also won't go to any Pho Noodle place which will not let me have double or triple the amount of lime and Jalapenos and sprouts. Sometimes I get an entire bowl of Jalapenos to drop in (not for the hot but because they add a good crispy/crunchy texture and they have vitamin C.)

I only eat about 1/4th the noodles they give me. I dump in about 1/2 to a full cup of that red hot pepper sauce and I double the amount of beansprouts and thai basil. I drink all the broth, eat all the veggies and meat, but leave most of the noodle. The broth actually turns red from all the chili.

I eat the soup with tears running down my face and the Vietnamese working there are no doubt laughing at me but I don't care. The effect is like an anti-depressant for me, analgesic, and cure-all for everything. Anytime I am sick or depressed I get spicy Pho Noodles for a pick me up.

• #2,713
ThomasEdison said:
One of my alltime favorites is Pho noodle although I have gotten very strict about how I enjoy them. There are many Pho Noodle places where I live and I can be picky about which ones I patron.

I prefer the superbowl minus tendon and fat brisket (too much fat in those). I also won't go to any Pho Noodle place which will not let me have double or triple the amount of lime and Jalapenos and sprouts. Sometimes I get an entire bowl of Jalapenos to drop in (not for the hot but because they add a good crispy/crunchy texture and they have vitamin C.)

I only eat about 1/4th the noodles they give me. I dump in about 1/2 to a full cup of that red hot pepper sauce and I double the amount of beansprouts and thai basil. I drink all the broth, eat all the veggies and meat, but leave most of the noodle. The broth actually turns red from all the chili.

I eat the soup with tears running down my face and the Vietnamese working there are no doubt laughing at me but I don't care. The effect is like an anti-depressant for me, analgesic, and cure-all for everything. Anytime I am sick or depressed I get spicy Pho Noodles for a pick me up.

I won't eat faux noodles, I only eat the real ones.

• #2,714
Ivan Seeking said:

I had my first pot sticker about fifteen years ago. I really liked them and would buy them from time to time, but always in moderation. However, over the last few years I have slowly succumb to total addiction. Worst of all, I compound this addiction by drenching the pot stickers in hot chili oil - another addiction! Mmmmmmm. I can't go Eastern anymore without getting pot stickers.

Today, I had Japanese gyoza for the first time - pretty much the same thing but a saltier sauce than the Chinese use. It was very tasty.

It is amazing how light they are.

• #2,715
I like udon noodles with curry.

• #2,716
Ivan Seeking said:

I know the story...it started out just for fun, and before long you were spending your lunch money on pot stickers.

• #2,717
I like the Pho with the meatballs in it. I make a little mix of Hoisin and Rooster hot sauce to dip them in. So good.

• #2,718
ThomasEdison said:

That kind of attack on your esophagus and stomach is crazy.

Take it from someone who's esophagus is so scarred that I can barely swallow anything without extreme pain now. Be careful of what you eat.

• #2,719
I find a lot of foods now, somehow more palatable, than when I was younger.

Soups, and teas, and soft boiled eggs with plain white, butter less toast even. The sorts of things I know my grandparents would have enjoyed. Depression Era foods. Things with barely any flavor, I now thoroughly enjoy.

Boy, you really know that you're on your way to senioritis, while at the supermarket, you start salivating over the likes of these...

31VSX53C52L._SL500_AA225_.jpg

royallunchresize.jpg

And then when you reeeally want to spice up your afternoon...

[PLAIN]http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/american-nabisco-nilla-wafers-340g-box-706-p.jpg

...you succumb to "the nillas."

• #2,720
Evo said:
That kind of attack on your esophagus and stomach is crazy.
My light supper last night was home-made salsa and corn chips. Except for the yellow onions, all the ingredients for the salsa were grown right here. Tomatoes, cukes, jalapeno chilies, Hungarian wax chilies, bell peppers, garlic, cilantro. Too spicy for most folks, but I love it, especially with cold beer to cleanse the palate and renew the burn. Yum!

Need to let the salsa sit in the 'fridge overnight to get the flavors blended well - that's the trick.

• #2,721
Ooooh, Sonic is advertising a new huge chili hot dog. I need to get some extreme tots and one of those new ten pound chili coneys. YUM!

• #2,722
FrancisZ said:
...you succumb to "the nillas."

My mother used to make a Nilla wafer dessert with bananas and vanilla pudding. Mmmmm, I haven't had that since I was a kid.

Last edited:
  • #2,723
Had a "family lunch" on the back deck. My wife and I made traditional French bread (very porous with nice crust), beer-barrel rye, and a meaty buttermilk bread. Everybody got to pick the bread(s) they wanted and all the fixin's for sandwiches - roast beef, turkey breast, ham, bacon, several types of cheeses, and all the condiments you could shake a stick at. My home-made dill pickles, fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden, lettuce, onions, etc rounded things out.

I spilled fresh salsa down the front of myself, getting tomato-ey juice on my new PF Thwak! T-shirt, so that sartorial statement had to hit the laundry sink for a good soaking. Great lunch! Everybody just left, and I am stuffed!

• #2,724
turbo-1 said:
I spilled fresh salsa down the front of myself, getting tomato-ey juice on my new PF Thwak!
So the shirt saved you from getting serious pepper burns to your chest? :biggrin:

• #2,725
dlgoff said:
So the shirt saved you from getting serious pepper burns to your chest? :biggrin:
I think I'm immune to hot chili juices. I don't want pepper spray in my eyes, but skin contact with pepper juices...no problem.

• #2,726
Wow! If you can get Raye's stone-ground mustard where you are, buy a jar of Dundicott Hott. It has a nice flavor of garlic, and a bit of non-mustard heat in the form of chili. I just opened that jar and am having it on a roast beef sandwich with rye bread and sharp cheese. This combination would be a winner in any pub or sandwich shop.

• #2,727
Speaking of Raye. Rachel Ray coined the term EVOO for extra virgin live oil. We know the best is Cold Pressed Olive Oil, so I hearby replace the term EVOO with CPOO (pronounced "see poo").

Whaddya think? Am I on to something here? Will CPOO go viral?

• #2,728
Virgin olive oil is cold-pressed - manual extraction only. Extra virgin olive oil is a subset of virgin in that the oil must be naturally low in acids (no chemical neutralization allowed). Neither grade can have any refined oil in them. Olive pulp left from cold pressing is generally treated with heat and/or chemicals to make cheaper refined oils. There is a tightening of olive-oil grading in the works currently, and that move is championed by CA growers who say that adulterated oils are degrading the Extra-Virgin sector and ruining their profits.

• #2,729
turbo-1 said:
Virgin olive oil is cold-pressed - manual extraction only. Extra virgin olive oil is a subset of virgin in that the oil must be naturally low in acids (no chemical neutralization allowed). Neither grade can have any refined oil in them. Olive pulp left from cold pressing is generally treated with heat and/or chemicals to make cheaper refined oils. There is a tightening of olive-oil grading in the works currently, and that move is championed by CA growers who say that adulterated oils are degrading the Extra-Virgin sector and ruining their profits.
It can't be EVOO unless it is cold pressed, first cold pressed to be exact. So, first CPOO!

• #2,730
Evo said:
It can't be EVOO unless it is cold pressed, first cold pressed to be exact. So, first CPOO!
The reason that I typed all that is because not all cold-pressed olive oil is extra-virgin. All cold-pressed oil qualifies for the virgin grade, but only cold pressed oil with low acidity qualifies as extra-virgin. That's the grade that the CA growers are trying to win back from the crooks. If you find a pint bottle of extra-virgin in a store, and it only costs you $4-5, that is NOT real. The real stuff is a bit cloudy and green with a very smooth flavor.

If the USDA gets serious about enforcing the new grading regulations, look for some serious sales on "Extra-Virgin" oils as importers try to clear out misbranded inventory.