What Famous Physicist Built an Inaccurate Model of the Hydrogen Atom?

In summary: William Clark, of the famous Lewis & Clark expedition, was the only one in the expedition to refuse to eat this food. He was not a fan of the local food.
The only thing I know abot the Lewis-Clarke exepidtion is that cannibalism that took place (I believe that the creators of South Park did a musical based on the story entiteld Cannibal!); longpig is a pseudonym for human flesh.

Physics news on Phys.org
jcsd said:
The only thing I know abot the Lewis-Clarke exepidtion is that cannibalism that took place (I believe that the creators of South Park did a musical based on the story entiteld Cannibal!); longpig is a pseudonym for human flesh.
I haven't heard of cannibalism on the Lewis & Clarke expedition, The Donner party is infamous for it though.

This was something else.

Besides i have another question : why is it a camel can "store" water that good? How is it done ? And what's up with the bump on their back...Believe me, it is not for water storage. It contains tissue that can be used as energy-source when food is hard to find...

marlon

marlon said:
i cannot seduce you with one of my oil-paintings ? The other one, i sold to my brother...

marlon
Aha! Trying to divert my attention with your painting while you stick your feet in the food!

Evo said:
Aha! Trying to divert my attention with your painting while you stick your feet in the food!

Well at least i don't come from apes...oopps sorry, is this common knowledge yet :rolleyes:

marlon

ps : your avatar tastes real good...mmmmmmmmmm :approve:

8 - Llanfairpwyllgwyngillgogerychwrndrobwillantisiligogogoch?

marlon said:
Besides i have another question : why is it a camel can "store" water that good? How is it done ? And what's up with the bump on their back...Believe me, it is not for water storage. It contains tissue that can be used as energy-source when food is hard to find...

marlon
True, the camel stores fat, not water in it's humps. The camel gets water from it's nose.

The Truth About Camels

Despite all of the stories, a camel doesn’t store water for its legendary pan-desert treks—not in its humps, which contain fat, nor in its stomach, which holds a mundane amount of liquid. Rather, according to Duke University physiologist Knut Schmidt-Nielsen, one of the camel’s most impressive water-conserving organs is its oversized nose.

"A camel that has been deprived of water under hot desert conditions is actually able to withdraw water from its own exhaled air," he explains. As with other mammals, the inside surface of a camel’s nostrils consist of whorled tissue called turbinates. But the similarity ends there. Rolled up like a papyrus scroll, the camel’s turbinates have a huge surface area that is also unusually dry and cool. Consequently, the camel’s nose effectively recaptures most of the moisture contained in the warm, water-saturated air moving out of its lungs.

In addition, camels have the unusual ability to allow their body temperature to creep several degrees above normal without breaking a sweat or suffering heat stroke. Instead, the camel simply permits the excess heat to dissipate when air temperatures drop during the nighttime hours.

I will post the URL for this after another question is answered.

Indeed i have read that the water can be extracted and stored in the blood-circulation. They have quite an extraordinay metabolism

marlon

brewnog said:
Not according to recent sources. I thought that was it but it turns out another longer name is being used somewhere else.

marlon said:
ps : your avatar tastes real good...mmmmmmmmmm :approve:
Get your feet off my face!

chroot said:
Since when has N looked the same upside-down?

- Warren

It also does not look the same backwards. But according to Evo it is correct.

I looked up the word OHO which was one of my earliest guesses, and this is what dictionary.com says.

"Used to express surprise, comprehension, or mock astonishment."

However, it is an interjection, so it may not be a word. Kind of like "Ugh" is not really a word, as far as I'm concerned.

Evo said:
Get your feet off my face!

sorry, you have already been digested...I am feeling a bit heavy now ? I wonder why that is ?

marlon :redface:

mattmns said:
It also does not look the same backwards. But according to Evo it is correct.
Write NOON on a piece of paper and turn it upside down. :approve: Or turn your monitor upside down. It's a palindrome, they didn't word the question correctly, it should state that it reads the same backwards, not looks the same. But it does look the same upside down.

I got that question from http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/palindromes.htm

Here is a numbers palindrome from the site. 111,111,111 X 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Write NOON on a piece of paper and turn it upside down. :approve: Or turn your monitor upside down. It's a palindrome, they didn't word the question correctly, it should state that it reads the same backwards, not looks the same. But it does look the same upside down.

I got that question from http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/palindromes.htm

Here is a numbers palindrome from the site. 111,111,111 X 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Yeah when I was considering NOON upside down I was just rotating it 180 degrees, not really upside down, but I thought it was what you meant :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re #9, the wisdom of Theodor Geisel concerning the FLUNNEL:
A softish nice fellow who hides in a tunnel.
He only comes out of his hole, I'm afraid,
When the right kind of softish nice music is played
On a kind of a hunting horn called the o'Grunth.
And to learn how to play it takes month after month
Of practising, practising.
Isn't much fun-th.
And, besides, it's quite heavy.
Weighs almost a tun-th.
That's why few people bother to play the o'Grunth
So the Flunnel's been out of his tunnel just one-th.

Last edited:
3. the kangaroo rat ?

Hypercase said:
3. the kangaroo rat ?
Good guess since rats are another animal that can go longer than a camel without drinking, but kangaroo rats are from N America, I'm looking for a well known animal from Africa.

3) Giraffe? (hey, if I had to contort my neck that much to take a drink I wouldn't do it very often either...)

10) Cheez Whizz

Last edited:
plover said:
3) Giraffe? (hey, if I had to contort my neck that much to take a drink I wouldn't do it very often either...)
Correct! Giraffes get most of the water they need from the leaves of the Acacia tree. Bending over to drink makes the Giraffe vulnerable to predators, so they usually only drink in packs while several are on the "lookout".

:cry: :cry: :cry: I missed it all. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Haven't read any responses yet, but by Evo's remarks, #7 is still open.

#7 is a Maori-name town in New Zealand. Don't know the name...but if you'd asked me about 6 years ago, I'd have probably got most of it.

There's a town in India by the name of Shriventakanarasimharajuvaripeta...but I don't think that even makes the top ten.

brewnog said:

That's the one I was thinking of in Wales that Evo said wasn't it. See, I told you it had lots of Lls and not enough vowels! It actually is a description of the location of the town, something like down the winding lane, around the trees, over the stile, past the stream...(I'm just making it up as I go along now).

Gokul43201 said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: I missed it all. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Haven't read any responses yet, but by Evo's remarks, #7 is still open.

#7 is a Maori-name town in New Zealand. Don't know the name...but if you'd asked me about 6 years ago, I'd have probably got most of it.
Where the heck have you been?

That's correct! Taumatawhakatangihangakoauotamateturipukakapikimaungahoro-Nukupokaiwhenua kitanatahu translates as the 'place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as land-eater, played his flute to his loved one'. This is the place name recognised by the Guinness Book of Records.

#5 & #10 are the only ones left unanswered. Don't let me down!

5. What writer accurately described the two moons of Mars (including size and rotation) more than 100 years before they were discovered?

10. William Clark, of the famous Lewis & Clark expedition, was the only one in the expedition to refuse to eat this food. What was it?

Last edited:
5. Jules Verne

arildno said:
5. Jules Verne
No, but good guess.

10. Honey?

BobG said:
10. Honey?
no

plover said:
10) Cheez Whizz
no

Ok, hint time. #10 is an animal you see every day

#5 the book was about little people

#10...squirrel?

Evo said:
5. What writer accurately described the two moons of Mars (including size and rotation) more than 100 years before they were discovered?

I've cheated a little on this, but still may not have the answer :

I opened a World Almanack (it's not Google :wink:) that I have, to look up famous writers from the 18th century (definitely not 19th, and 17th is unlikely but maybe possible). Here's the list :

Blake, William
Burns, Robert
Coleridge, Samuel Taylor
Defoe, Daniel
Dryden, John
Franklin, Benjamin
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von
Goldsmith, Oliver
Hume, David
Johnson, Samuel
Kant, Immanuel
Paine, Thomas
Paine, Thomas
Robinson, Mary
Rousseau, Jean-Jacques
Scott, Walter
Southey, Robert
Swift, Jonathan
Voltaire, Jean-Marie Arouet de Candide
Wordsworth, William

There are three possibilities that I see here, but one name stands out bold - in a Jules Verne (which arildno cleverly guessed) kind of way.

Do you see what I see ?

Moonbear said:
#10...squirrel?
I like this guess !

...also plover's guesses to the Lewis and Clark question :smile:

Gokul43201 said:
I've cheated a little on this, but still may not have the answer :

I opened a World Almanack (it's not Google :wink:) that I have, to look up famous writers from the 18th century (definitely not 19th, and 17th is unlikely but maybe possible). Here's the list :

Blake, William
Burns, Robert
Coleridge, Samuel Taylor
Defoe, Daniel
Dryden, John
Franklin, Benjamin
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von
Goldsmith, Oliver
Hume, David
Johnson, Samuel
Kant, Immanuel
Paine, Thomas
Paine, Thomas
Robinson, Mary
Rousseau, Jean-Jacques
Scott, Walter
Southey, Robert
Swift, Jonathan
Voltaire, Jean-Marie Arouet de Candide
Wordsworth, William

There are three possibilities that I see here, but one name stands out bold - in a Jules Verne (which arildno cleverly guessed) kind of way.

Do you see what I see ?
The correct author is in your list.

Moonbear said:
#10...squirrel?]
Gokul43201 said:
I like this guess !

...also plover's guesses to the Lewis and Clark question :smile:
not the right animal though. Maybe if Clark had put some cheese wiz on it he might have eaten it.

As to 5 and "little people", Liliputians were small, I think (at least Gulliver thought so)

arildno said:
As to 5 and "little people", Liliputians were small, I think (at least Gulliver thought so)

That's my guess too. Just jumps out at you, when you have a list, eh ? I actually hadn't read the little people clue when I posted that list. It took me a while to find what I was looking for in the mess that I call a bookshelf.

Other possibilities I'm considering are Franklin and Blake. (not anymore)

Last edited:
Evo said:
BobG said:
Honey ?
no

He was just trying to get your attention, and you shun him thus ? Tut tut. :rolleyes:

For some reason, Thomas Paine hasn't given up the fight yet, he's still lurking in the back of my mind. Hopefully, he'll leave when Evo approves of Jonathan Swift as the answer.