What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,131
I'd like to own a USB digital microscope with 4K resolution. I have one of those cheap Chinese USB microscopes that you can get on eBay, but the resolution isn't so great.

I was looking at some store bought strawberries I was eating with the microscope the other day and saw these tiny white spider looking things crawling around on them. They weren't visible to the naked eye. I also saw blood flowing through capillaries on my hand. I had to mod the microscope to see this by snapping off the one inch long plastic guard that protects the lens and LEDs, but that doubled the resolution. It was advertised as 200x but I doubt that.

I would love a set up that was powerful enough to view blood cells or sperm etc. I want to view it on my 55" 4K screen in 4K. I'd share the vids on YouTube. Not for profound research. Just for hobby procrastination :)

Just finished season one of Stranger Things. Not bad. I'll see what season two is like.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,132
skyshrimp said:
I was looking at some store bought strawberries I was eating with the microscope the other day

I personally prefer something like whipped cream, but I have never tasted microscopes with it. May be my loss; a little "glassy" for me...

Likes skyshrimp
  • #4,133
WWGD said:
I personally prefer something like whipped cream, but I have never tasted microscopes with it. May be my loss; a little "glassy" for me...
Do you know his store? Maybe he needed the microscope to eat them.

• #4,134
fresh_42 said:
Do you know his store? Maybe he needed the microscope to eat them.
Possibly infinitesi-Strawberies from the Non-Standard Real Strawberry (Fields forever).

• #4,135
WWGD said:
Possibly infinitesi-Strawberies from the Non-Standard Real Strawberry (Fields forever).
If straws will be banned, what happens to strawberries?
Is 'forever' in your quotation a hint to the characteristic of the field - zero?
And what if I refuse to let you take me down?
Do we need a Riemann-Strawberry to get strawberries forever from these infinitesi-strawberries?

Question after question ...

• #4,136
fresh_42 said:
If straws will be banned, what happens to strawberries?
Is 'forever' in your quotation a hint to the characteristic of the field - zero?
And what if I refuse to let you take me down?
Do we need a Riemann-Strawberry to get strawberries forever from these infinitesi-strawberries?

Question after question ...
No, we need Kraftwerk-berries.

• #4,137
WWGD said:
No, we need Kraftwerk-berries.
This could help:
But I haven't checked the latest developments in Chernobyl.
BOG-pKwCQAI8up6.jpg

Attachments

• BOG-pKwCQAI8up6.jpg
    BOG-pKwCQAI8up6.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 260
  • #4,138
WWGD said:
I was told the best way to prepare strawberries is to sprinkle with sugar and pile cream on top.

Don't try it! Pile cream tastes awful!

• #4,139
Other people talk the bizarre talk. We ( at least three of us in this exchange) own it!

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,140
Ibix said:
I'd go much further. Acceptable informal address varies by region, social class, age and sex of both parties, and time, and probably a host of other things. That said, I've still not heard "baby" used outside of couples and actual babies.

Slang and unconventional language can be a total minefield. I recommend just accepting any informal address as long as the tone and body language are friendly, and sticking to "mate" if you have to use anything at all.

[/QUOTE]

Mate is a common one in Manchester, I agree baby is not one I have heard. "Sweet" is another common one.

• #4,141
skyshrimp said:
I woke up thirsty and hungover in the middle of the night and went to the fridge. I had some of the juicy peaches chilling in there.

I went back for seconds.

View attachment 229084

I prepared for such an event last week by leaving a pint of water next to my bed, unfortunately the hideously hot nights we have been having meant that by the time I came to grab it is was the wrong end of tepid. Horrible but I was desperate so drank it.

Likes skyshrimp
  • #4,142
That girl at work I mentioned the other week keeps asking me to go on smoke breaks with her everyday so we can chat. I usually don't have smokes on me as I want to quit, so she gives me one of hers. She chain smokes and smokes 2 in a row. Guys stop her in the street and try to get her number all the time. She's very tall and thin. Like a Portuguese model.

Last week Thursday we went for a smoke as per usual. I had a box of ciggies too that morning, so I took loads of cigarettes out of mine and tried to put them in her box because she was really low. I was going to buy her a box the following day as well. She kept refusing and I said, "Just take them". She said "Why don't you take me out for a drink instead so we can celebrate". "Celebrate what?"
She said, "Life" and she started smiling and playing with my collar. Our work colleagues think we're in a relationship. She told me earlier that her and this other guy are just friends now (and not 'friends friends') and she was going out for a coffee with him that day and was nervous. The next day I didn't push for that drink. I suspected she wasn't really single but she says she is. She asked me if I wanted to get a coffee with her after work. Then she said they went to an Italian restaurant instead of a coffee. After the meal, he hugged her in the street and leaned in for a kiss. She said she really liked that kiss.
The following day, I was friendly, but I cooled things down a bit. She found me, smiled and opened her arms for a hug and I gave her one. There's this other girl at work who's a friend of hers. She came up to me and said, "Don't say anything, but she asked me earlier if something is up with you as apparently you've been acting strange towards her? She also asked if I mentioned her bf to you".

I wasn't acting strange at all. I kept our conversations work related. You can't chat a woman up if she has a boyfriend. She's pretending she hasn't got one but obviously has. So then she said, "You should stay away from her or you might end up getting into a punch up with him". Apparently he's also 6'4" and my build.

This week, she asked me if I could help her decorate one of the rooms in her flat.
"My 'friend' has given me money to buy the tools and paint. I don't want to waste his money if you're no good..."
Unbelievable. She might have offered me money afterwards but I wouldn't have taken it.

"Why don't you get him to paint?"
"He can't until Sunday and it will take days to do as I need to paint blue walls white, so it will need several coats. I also have plastering that needs sanding down. I don't want you to mess it up if you can't do it properly as it's cost him money"
The next day I told her I was busy this week and couldn't help.

She's stopped talking to me now :rolleyes:

• #4,143
Hey you. Stand back from that girl. Back away slowly, turn and run.

Likes davenn and skyshrimp
  • #4,144
pinball1970 said:
I prepared for such an event last week by leaving a pint of water next to my bed, unfortunately the hideously hot nights we have been having meant that by the time I came to grab it is was the wrong end of tepid. Horrible but I was desperate so drank it.

The hot nights have been dreadful! I'm glad the rain has come. I got through the summer by drinking copious amounts of frosty pints in the evenings o0)

I forgot to mention. That woman walked in where I was working and told me her heart was beating fast. No one else was there. She took my wrist, cupped my hand and pushed it against her boob nd held it there. She said, "Can you feel that?". Or another time in the summer heat, I was standing by the sink in the lunch room and we were alone again. She walked up to the sink and started pulling her top up. I looked away as it looked like she was taking her top off. She said, "You can look". I looked around and she had pulled her top half way up and tied a knot. Then she was sort of gyrating seductively in her tight jeans., putting on a little show for me?

lol. Crazy girl :cool: I won't say anything further as this is isn't the place.

I don't mind these games. Brightens my day tbh.

• #4,145
I keep making the " Flaw of Averages" mistake : Assuming things are going to happen as they do on Average. I see someone I know, think to myself: I will talk with him for 5 minutes, only to end up being unable to pull myself out of a 30+ minutes conversation.

• #4,146
When I ask a question and I get a technical answer on the forum: :DD

maJglzT.png

But you know; that's good. Because it prompts me to look and learn. :biggrin:

Attachments

• maJglzT.png
    maJglzT.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 349
  • #4,147
Something I really like about this community is that you can't just drop a statement here without backup. People immediately call you out on it and ask 'what's your proof?'. If only all communities worked as such :rolleyes:

• #4,148
nuuskur said:
Something I really like about this community is that you can't just drop a statement here without backup. People immediately call you out on it and ask 'what's your proof?'. If only all communities worked as such :rolleyes:
Yes. They like ( You to) to...Prove it, Prove it.

• #4,149
Here's another randomized thought...

You clean your teeth on the same room you poop.

Likes nuuskur
  • #4,150
You wouldn't believe what I saw today in a supermarket. I was standing in the queue at self-checkout and a woman was standing in front of me on her phone with two items in her other hand. There was a staff member guiding customers in the queue to empty self-checkouts. He got to this woman and she carried on talking on her phone and gave her two items to him. He looked a bit puzzled and scanned them for her. Then he said, "It's £3,74", pointing to the LED display.

She carried on chatting on her phone, grabbed a handful of change out of her pocket and left her hand out for the guy to pick the £3.74 out of.

Really? o_0

• #4,151
skyshrimp said:
You wouldn't believe what I saw today in a supermarket. I was standing in the queue at self-checkout and a woman was standing in front of me on her phone with two items in her other hand. There was a staff member guiding customers in the queue to empty self-checkouts. He got to this woman and she carried on talking on her phone and gave her two items to him. He looked a bit puzzled and scanned them for her. Then he said, "It's £3,74", pointing to the LED display.

She carried on chatting on her phone, grabbed a handful of change out of her pocket and left her hand out for the guy to pick the £3.74 out of.

Really? o_0
£3,74 seems like a good prize for an LED display :).

I had a story somewhat similar to yours about your work. I met this lady in a coffee shop I hang out in and we became friends and talk from time to time. Just there, so no chance for any thing else. Recently she told me she was going to travel and asked that I keep her luggage for her, a very small one at that. Now, she had also been telling me her computer, phone, etc. were being hacked by a Blackhat hacker, which was, well, questionable for many reasons. I tried to avoid her since. I worry she may claim I lost or damage something of hers. So yesterday, failing to avoid her, I tried to arrange to ask her if I she could send me a text certifying that she was leaving the luggage with me, together with a phone pic of it. She was not able to, since her phone was not working for some reason or another. Now she is upset with me, it seems. I saw her just today and she told me she had found someone else to hold the luggage for her. I mumbled something about how I was sorry, to which she replied :" Whatever". Maybe I am too cautious. I mean, she could have drugs, stolen property there, may be deranged and accuse me of stealing the property, etc. I mean, I have only known her for a few months and just through casual conversations at that.

Last edited:
  • #4,152
The actual programming for SAS, at least at a basic level, seemed workable. The nightmare seems to just be about importing and accessing data files -- within someone else's hard drive, it seems, and using a VM.

• #4,153
Psinter said:
Here's another randomized thought...

You clean your teeth on the same room you poop.
My obsession has been with making sure my toothbrush is clean. How do you do that? Just rinse it in the fawcett, after it has been in contact with (billions of?) bacteria in your mouth.

Likes Psinter
  • #4,154
New disgusting public habit in grocery stores: to cool down, people pass their hands through places with ice in them, slide their hands through the ice cubes to cool themselves/ their hands down and don't bother to throw out the cubes they handle in the process.

• #4,155
Jura-3.jpg

Yesterday made 420 km just to shot some aerial views of the place. Fond childhood memories.

Attachments

• Jura-3.jpg
    Jura-3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 550
Likes Psinter, OmCheeto and BillTre
  • #4,156
I can't believe how inflexible I was in refusing to use a string with letters and digits 0-1 as a " Number".
I was asked many times for the order 'Number' and I could not find any such, but the string instead.
I gave in and entered DX3R-345A , etc. as a number. I am pretty sure I will, from now on, be excluded
from many Mathematics-related organizations. Hope they don't cancel my SA!

• #4,157
WWGD said:
I gave in and entered DX3R-345A , etc. as a number. I am pretty sure I will, from now on, be excluded
from many Mathematics-related organizations.
If you interpret the dash as a minus sign it could be a number in base 34 or higher?

• #4,158
Ibix said:
If you interpret the dash as a minus sign it could be a number in base 34 or higher?
Possibly. Is this an indirect way for you to ask if you can join me in the Autistic club?

• #4,159
Sorry if I was acting autistic-like, just joking about becoming so detached from the way most see and understand daily life. And I don't have the excuse of living in the ivory tower either :).

• #4,160
I like the current weeks. Whenever I want to know how late at night it is (roughly), I look out the window and watch where Mars is. Pretty good clock.

• #4,161
fresh_42 said:
I like the current weeks. Whenever I want to know how late at night it is (roughly), I look out the window and watch where Mars is. Pretty good clock.
They have clocks in Mars now? They'll ruin Mars with all the advertising. At least the (Mars) choco bars would make sense.

Likes nuuskur
  • #4,162
WWGD said:
They have clocks in Mars now? They'll ruin Mars with all the advertising. At least the (Mars) choco bars would make sense.
Far too late. The Schottish already ruined it long ago:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQJWRrZ6aVI0mL7TbJw8XnslkSFrh0XYhOTNEqhyghTlFhrBK.jpg

This is hot oil, and the cover is some fluid pastry.

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQJWRrZ6aVI0mL7TbJw8XnslkSFrh0XYhOTNEqhyghTlFhrBK.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQJWRrZ6aVI0mL7TbJw8XnslkSFrh0XYhOTNEqhyghTlFhrBK.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 647
  • #4,164
fresh_42 said:
Far too late. The Schottish already ruined it long ago:
View attachment 229353
This is hot oil, and the cover is some fluid pastry.
Ah, yes, I just remembered I need to buy a plunger :).

• #4,165
Borek said:
View attachment 229295

Yesterday made 420 km just to shot some aerial views of the place. Fond childhood memories.
I like that.

Looks like a good place to live.