What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,006
fresh_42 said:
I was serving it to collinsmark. But it is 5005.

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,007
fresh_42 said:
WWGD said:
Good but short-sighted provided the thread continues to grow. 5335 5555

Arguing by Internet seems futile; though no doubt your Libertarian friend provides fodder for thought.

5115 does posses interesting symmetries.

• #5,008
Unfortunately all the failed experiments are not food for his thought. Try something in a small population, scale it up see how it goes. I bet great leap forward sounded good before trying it... as did many others left- right-.

But, yes 5xx5 it is.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,009
WWGD said:
Next ones are at 5016, 5037, 5041, 5049, 5052.

• #5,010
fresh_42 said:
Next ones are at 5016, 5037, 5041, 5049, 5052.
Palindromes?

• #5,012
No, Vato.

• #5,013
Sure they are, with the same right as 5005 is.

• #5,014
fresh_42 said:
Sure they are, with the same right as 5005 is.
But not the same left...

• #5,015
Mirror symmetry to the center, some of odd and some of even length.

• #5,016
Love those Kansas thunder storms.

Likes Craftek_Ana
  • #5,017
Today I learned the creator and writer of Deadwood has dementia. And that we (fans of Deadwood) got the Deadwood movie in the "nick of time".

The New Yorker article / interview of David Milch

Side note wow the New Yorker writes at a high level, between their interviewer / writer and Milch I had to google a few words to get meaning beyond that implied by context.

How good of a "writer's mind" does Milch have? Here's stage two of three dementia impacted David Milch brain...

Singer: I’m sitting here listening to you, and you’re describing what you’re describing, and there is to me an immense irony: this is the same mind that I’ve known for as long as I’ve known you.

Milch: That’s a blessing of this conversation, and I’m concentrating and thinking as hard as I can. I’m asking for the grace and dignity of a lucid cogitation. I’m asking of my faculties, such as they are, in whatever diminution they are, to meet you fairly.

• #5,018
Just bought something online and paid by card. The card expiry date field defaulted to January 2013.

Hmmm.

• #5,019
I never had a special look on the potatoes I bought. Unless recently. I apparently grabbed a sort which is incredibly wet inside. It was awful, so for the first time ever I had a look on the name to avoid future mistakes. It's called Synergy and they were from Egypt. Now that I know that half the Nile is inside their potatoes, which made me wonder, since they need their water themselves, I also have an idea what synergy meant: they crossed watermelons in!

• #5,020
I just found an old article: "On the Theory of Triads" (Kristiania 1921)
Fortunately it wasn't Chinese. But if you read those old texts, then ##\otimes## is really a relief in notation. Someone should tell physicists as they still stick with their coordinate notation.

• #5,021
Does anyone know where I can apply for a new ICD-10 entry, Algebrabstractaphobia F40.2?

• #5,022
Didn't really expect this one: Sunshine, this woman sitting close to me at Sbux, asking me if I want to " Take it Outside". " You really want to do it, bro?" EDIT: She left, we did not rumble. I know I cannot win in a situation like this. Frankly seemed like a hidden camera thing.

Last edited:
  • #5,023
Guess it makes sense Oberlin (O-Berlin) is in Ohio ( O-hio), but not in O-Germany.
Then again, PMoscow is not in PRussia.

• #5,024
WWGD said:
Guess it makes sense Oberlin (O-Berlin) is in Ohio ( O-hio), but not in O-Germany.
Then again, PMoscow is not in PRussia.
It isn't in O-Germany, but in O-Deutschland. PM cannot be spoken. But there is a Moskau in N-Switzerland.

• #5,025
fresh_42 said:
It isn't in O-Germany, but in O-Deutschland. PM cannot be spoken. But there is a Moskau in N-Switzerland.
As well as in Idah-O. Michelle PFeiffer should be leader of PRusssia.

• #5,026
WWGD said:
As well as in Idah-O. Michelle PFeiffer should be leader of PRusssia.
There is indeed some kind of connection between Pfeiffer (with 3 f) and PRussia. Not quite PRussia, but it's mentality which counts here.

• #5,027
We live in a world where food is full of chemistry, but the cosmetics are full of avocado, honey and vitamins.

Likes DrGreg
  • #5,028
fresh_42 said:
We live in a world where food is full of chemistry, but the cosmetics are full of avocado, honey and vitamins.
My wife once told the girl in a cosmetics shop that she really wanted to buy the eye shadow she was looking at but, as a chemistry lecturer, if she was told one more time that there were no chemicals in it then she'd have to walk out.

• #5,029
Ibix said:
My wife once told the girl in a cosmetics shop that she really wanted to buy the eye shadow she was looking at but, as a chemistry lecturer, if she was told one more time that there were no chemicals in it then she'd have to walk out.
That's why I changed 'chemicals' to 'chemistry' which stresses the synthetic aspect instead of just 'stuff'.

• #5,030
I always thought I had an idea how it came to Paris (TX), Athens (GA) or Берлин (RU, Ural). But what had happened here?

• #5,031
The nutrition fundamentalists become more and more annoying. I just bought apple juice (100%) and the company actually felt the need to print "vegan" on its label! I'm getting old. I don't understand this world anymore.

• #5,032
fresh_42 said:
The nutrition fundamentalists become more and more annoying. I just bought apple juice (100%) and the company actually felt the need to print "vegan" on its label! I'm getting old. I don't understand this world anymore.
I feel a lot of this is marketing (in the US anyway).
You are lucky it was not also labelled gluten free and caffeine free also.

• #5,033
BillTre said:
I feel a lot of this is marketing (in the US anyway).
You are lucky it was not also labelled gluten free and caffeine free also.
The only adjective I was really interested in was sugarfree. Additional sugar of course, the natural fructose is o.k.

• #5,034
Wow, met this guy today who is an Excel Intern at the end of his 1st year. How much can you learn with it?
And #$% forgot to ask him why I need to install the Analysis Pak every &^% time I use Excel instead of it remaining there.

• #5,035
How do you tell them appart:

Your Great Great Great Grandfather, and your Great Great Grandfather who happens to be great?

• #5,037
Like what?

• #5,038
WWGD said:
Like what?
We say "ur-" for great, and grandfather is the same "groß-vater". Thus you can have a great (großartig) ururururururururururururururururgroßvater. And it's shorter :wink: And even shorter if you replace grandfather by "opa".

• #5,039
fresh_42 said:
. And it's shorter :wink: And even shorter if you replace grandfather by "opa".
He was not shorter, he was very tall.(Practicing being purposefully obtuse, which seems to come naturally easy).

• #5,040
WWGD said:
He was not shorter, he was very tall.
Hard to believe: the greater people are the shorter they were! Or is it better to say the more greats here?