What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,531
collinsmark said:
I'm so sorry for your and Spawn's loss, @Evo.
Thank you, she stayed home for Thanksgiving, she was supposed to go to her dad's, Evo Child had flown home and was there, so it was sad for everyone.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,532
It's been cloudy so I haven't been able to take a pic of the stars to answer the replies yet.

My brain fart. If a photon is emitted from an electron then it must be a component of it. How can an electron emit photons for billions of years? Are there infinite photons per electron?

Maybe photons are disturbances in the aether that propagate through the aether. When an electron drops an energy shell, it oscillates the aether into a concentrated package which is the photon. The photon would eventually dissipate back into the aether.

Literally science fiction thoughts without fact. My imagination.

No need to move this. Just a non-critical random thought dump I'll address sober :)

• #5,533
Polish people called Woctech have a head start in an IT career. They only need the 'info' part. I am still surprised at their premier called Donald Tusk. When I hear of someone called 'Donald' , I rarely ask myself : from Warsaw or from Krakow ( crackhouse?).

• #5,534
For some unknown reasons my 'Junk' folder in Outlook went from having 500 emails to having 200 within 10 minutes.

• #5,535
My mind started running crazy after student showed a note ( I was subbing) from a psychiatrist, not just a dr, just for missing a class. I imagine myself with a megaphone outside of the classroom: "Ok, I'll give you an A, just let the hostages go."

• #5,536
WWGD said:
My mind started running crazy after student showed a note ( I was subbing) from a psychiatrist, not just a dr, just for missing a class. I imagine myself with a megaphone outside of the classroom: "Ok, I'll give you an A, just let the hostages go."
I remember a Swedish backpacker visiting the US. As they checked her baggage, she said: "Oh, the bomb is in the other bag!" This was no good idea at all ...

• #5,537
fresh_42 said:
I remember a Swedish backpacker visiting the US. As they checked her baggage, she said: "Oh, the bomb is in the other bag!" This was no good idea at all ...
Yes, you don't joke about those things in airports. Security people are not known for being easy-going and light-hearted. Not many part-time comedians among them.

• #5,538
WWGD said:
Yes, you don't joke about those things in airports. Security people are not known for being easy-going and light-hearted. Not many part-time comedians among them.
Guess being smart isn't either a necessity. I remember my dialogue:
"What are you doing here?"
"I visit my sister."
"And tomorrow?"
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

• #5,539
fresh_42 said:
I remember something very similar in a British documentary a couple of decades ago. It was a fly-on-the-wall documentary about airport staff.

An American musician was entering the UK to perform in a concert and brought with him his double-bass inside a case. The airport security staff asked him what was in the case, and he joked, "A machine gun".

The documentary then showed edited highlights of the 24 hours of questioning by the police.

• #5,540
Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who answered " I'm fabulous" when asked in customs if he had something to declare?

• #5,541
WWGD said:
Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who answered " I'm fabulous" when asked in customs if he had something to declare?
Peter Ustinov had trouble, too, probably long ago. He was asked about race, black, brown, white, but he insisted on pink, but there was no checkbox for pink.

• #5,542
fresh_42 said:
Peter Ustinov had trouble, too, probably long ago. He was asked about race, black, brown, white, but he insisted on pink, but there was no checkbox for pink.
Poirot is pink?

• #5,543
Must be my magnetic personality: Dog drops by my bench at the park to " Show his respects" and drops a "warm pile" by my bench. Two days in a row. Out of all the spots in the park...

• #5,544
Blessed are those who promote the fertilization of the earth.

Likes WWGD
  • #5,545
Probably shitty weather in NYC.

Likes Klystron and BillTre
  • #5,546
BillTre said:
Blessed are those who promote the fertilization of the earth.
And those like myself for wearing heavy boots that clean easily.

Likes BillTre
  • #5,547
WWGD said:
Must be my magnetic personality: Dog drops by my bench at the park to " Show his respects" and drops a "warm pile" by my bench. Two days in a row. Out of all the spots in the park...
"Your" bench? Fido has double-downed on ownership of that area; marked his/her territory, so to speak.

• #5,548
Klystron said:
"Your" bench? Fido has double-downed on ownership of that area; marked his/her territory, so to speak.
So what would happen if someone else ( hopefully a dog) dropped a pile there when Fido was marking his territory and "showing his respect "?

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #5,549
WWGD said:
So what would happen if someone else ( hopefully a dog) dropped a pile there when Fido was marking his territory?
You could run an experiment by "marking" your bench and see who pays attention.

Likes strangerep and WWGD
  • #5,550
Klystron said:
You could run an experiment by "marking" your bench and see who pays attention.
I left that type of gang since I was around 12, er, I mean 2 y.o. Still, I may take you up on it (not likely)

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #5,551
Maybe good time to change the topic, however fascinating it may be... ;). cc Cesar Millan.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
  • #5,552
My autistic side. I hear " When I was younger..."
You were _always_ younger!

• #5,553
So, special is slightly smaller in size but includes an appetizer; total food more than same dish in standard format. But standard dish with less food more expensive. ?

• #5,554
How many names do Germans have nowadays?My "mentor" had 3: Johann Carl Friederich.

• #5,555
WWGD said:
So, special is slightly smaller in size but includes an appetizer; total food more than same dish in standard format. But standard dish with less food more expensive. ?
My brother-in-law once asked me, "What is the difference between fine dining and simply eating in a restaurant?"

I answered without much thought, "The portions are smaller!"

Likes BillTre and WWGD
  • #5,556
Klystron said:
My brother-in-law once asked me, "What is the difference between fine dining and simply eating in a restaurant?"

Appeal to snobbery or gullibility or mental lazyness: Special must be better, because of name and price differences.

• #5,557
Klystron said:

I've seen successful fast food places outside of fancy places for those un-full by the smaller portions. Kind of a torture: extremely tasty but not large-enough to fill you.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,558
Fluid Mechanics textbooks? I prefer solid ones.

• #5,559
Dr William Schaffner's business card: " Yes, with a double f, not a t!"

• #5,560
WWGD said:
Dr William Schaffner's business card: " Yes, with a double f, not a t!"
His business is likewise uncertain. Schaffner is the German word for conductor (train).

• #5,561
fresh_42 said:
His business is likewise uncertain. Schaffner is the German word for conductor (train).
Fahrer? Gehfart?

• #5,562
WWGD said:
Fahrer? Gehfart?
No, the one who checks the tickets and communicates with the driver in stations.

• #5,563
fresh_42 said:
No, the one who checks the tickets and communicates with the driver in stations.
But definitely not the one ( playing the character) conducting the USS Enterprise.
Edit: But then again there is a college called Berkeley college that has nothing to see with UC Berkeley and there is Stamford Connecticut: "No, with an m, not an n."

Last edited:
  • #5,564
WWGD said:
But then again there is a college called Berkeley college that has nothing to see with UC Berkeley
Not to mention Berklee, in Bean-Town

• #5,565
gmax137 said:
Not to mention Berklee, in Bean-Town

I thought that was the one he wasn't mentioning.

Cheers