What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,636
Fred Wright said:
Possibly a inadvertent transliteration from the German. Like Turkite?
Possibly.

My wife is Spanish, so I'm used to minor lost-in-translation moments. I don't normally comment on minor typos/misspellings where sense is unaffected, but I've found that people can get quite sensitive about proper names for countries and nationalities. Particularly when you happen to be implying that the guy was an idiot, reading the text as written.

My wife once sent me a text saying that she'd heard (from a mutual friend who was an office mate of mine) that I was sleeping around the office, smiley face emoticon. I had been out drinking to celebrate a friend's birthday the night before and was indeed having some trouble keeping my eyes open - but that's not what "sleeping around the office" means... I decided I'd better not let that one pass...

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,637
fresh_42 said:
I admit I was too lazy to look it up. In other cases adjective, noun, and nationality match. The situation isn't any better in German: to "turk" something means to fake something. When they celebrated the opening of the Kiel Canal in 1895 many ships from many nations were present. The orchestra played the national anthems accordingly. Unfortunately they didn't had the notes of the Turkish anthem, so they decided to play the "Rondo Alla Turca" from Mozart instead. We use to turk as a verb for to fake since then.

I truly hope that this anecdote is invented, but I fear it is not. The piece reminds of the turkish (osmanic) occupation of Vienna. A strange association for the opening festivities of the canal.
I remember a 4th of July were hosts played "Born in the USA", superficially a patriotic song but actually a protest song. Didnt make sense.

Likes Ibix and BillTre
  • #5,638
fresh_42 said:
The orchestra played the national anthems accordingly. Unfortunately they didn't had the notes of the Turkish anthem, so they decided to play the "Rondo Alla Turca" from Mozart instead. We use to turk as a verb for to fake since then.
Have you seen the film The Dish? It's basically a slice-of-life around Parkes radio telescope when they are the only ones who can pick up the live feed from Armstrong and Aldrin on the moon. The US ambassador is in this small town in the back of beyond in Australia. The mayor asks everyone to be upstanding for the US national anthem, and the band plays the theme from Hawaii Five-O. The mayor apologises later, but the ambassador - an experienced diplomat - laughs it off.

• #5,639
WWGD said:
I remember a 4th of July were hosts played "Born in the USA", superficially a patriotic song but actually a protest song. Didnt make sense.
Nobody listens to the words of anything. "Every Breath You Take" is quite popular at weddings - presumably for the "you belong to me" line in the chorus, which is extremely creepy in the context of the lyrics. And "Fairytale of New York" is a popular christmas song, despite the singers praying God this christmas'll be their last and swearing at and insulting each other

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #5,640
" I have time to kill"

Let me start running just in case. Maybe you can be less ambiguous?

Same as , I think Crichton's book " Time to Kill". A book about some murderers

or an account of someone extremely bored?

Likes Ibix
  • #5,641
WWGD said:
" I have time to kill"

Let me start running just in case. Maybe you can be less ambiguous?
There's a rather surreal Star Trek novel where they briefly meet the Time Being, who turns out to be rather blubbery and unfit, on account of never doing anything because of all the people who do things for the time being.

Likes WWGD
  • #5,642
Highest drink temperature you're allowed to ask for at @Sbux is 190 degrees. Seems cup will be too hot to handle.

• #5,643
Wonder if it makes sense to put food on fridge when there are 4+ consecutive days with temperature below 30 deg. Actually warming them up putting them on the fridge.

• #5,644
fresh_42 said:
Koala bogu for the internet. In the olden days, I used to have to actually dissect delicious meals, in person, to figure out what was in them.

2019.12.19.doner.kebab.pdx.png

This is much too easy.

ps. I've never heard of "odd potato chips" before. hmmmm...

• #5,645
OmCheeto said:
Koala bogu for the internet. In the olden days, I used to have to actually dissect delicious meals, in person, to figure out what was in them.

View attachment 254372

This is much too easy.

ps. I've never heard of "odd potato chips" before. hmmmm...
My guess is they give you 1,3,5,..., 2n+1,... chips?

• #5,646
OmCheeto said:
I've never heard of "odd potato chips" before.
They are the alternative to Wenceslas chips which are deep and crisp and even.

• #5,647
Whatever it is, it's making hungry. Looks pretty tasty. Edit: Closest to that I can think of is Chipotles.
@fresh_42 Du hast Chipotles auf Deutschland?

• #5,648
Yes, necessity is the mother of invention, but who's the father?

• #5,649
WWGD said:
Yes, necessity is the mother of invention, but who's the father?

Frank Zappa of course.

Where do think dental floss came from?

Likes WWGD and Klystron
  • #5,650
WWGD said:
Chipotles
Not that I knew of. Germany is a bit underdeveloped regarding mexican food. There are some mexican restaurants but I don't think big chains. I know that my NM friend has trouble to find the chilis here she is used to. It's easier to get asian food.

• #5,651
Mmm, Mexican meal. Mine arrives in a few minutes from the local Lindo Michoacan. Bon appetite.

• #5,652
BillTre said:
Frank Zappa of course.

Where do think dental floss came from?

So it's Dweezil, Moon Unit and Necessity?

• #5,653
fresh_42 said:
Not that I knew of. Germany is a bit underdeveloped regarding mexican food. There are some mexican restaurants but I don't think big chains. I know that my NM friend has trouble to find the chilis here she is used to. It's easier to get asian food.
New Mexican friend is a bit ambiguous. Maybe my new New Mexican friend?

• #5,654
WWGD said:
New Mexican friend is a bit ambiguous.
But NM is not!

• #5,655
fresh_42 said:
But NM is not!
Overdoing Esspressokeit Freshmeister? Orale! Edit : @Klystron : enjoy 2x Dos Equis.

Likes fresh_42
  • #5,656
New New Mexican would have been wrong. She is an interesting person: born here, grown up in NM, and now here again. which is why she's still alive (costly health issues).

Last edited:
  • #5,657
I am clearly not a fashion follower nor policeman but sweat pants with high heals seems strange. Same for the "Stressed Out" look : men in tights with shorts on top, and sometimes a bun to go along.

• #5,658
WWGD said:
I am clearly not a fashion follower nor policeman but sweat pants with high heals seems strange. Same for the "Stressed Out" look : men in tights with shorts on top, and sometimes a bun to go along.
Depends on the city you're in. I wouldn't even recognize in NY or London ...

• #5,659
fresh_42 said:
Depends on the city you're in. I wouldn't even recognize in NY or London ...
How about high heels, sweats, undershirt and gold chain, calling people 'Love'. Yes, 'Love'... Maybe a "Chav". Maybe @Ibix can tell us if this is their fashion?

• #5,660
British male fashion can still pretty much be defined as "whatever doesn't make me look gay", somewhat depressingly. There are exceptions, but high heels on a man is unusual. "Love" is a regional thing. Some areas seem to use it as a generic form of address for someone you don't know, where most of us would use "mate" or "dude" or something.

Likes WWGD
  • #5,661
People are sheep.

The latest hype here is that stores abolished their plastic bags. Why? Plastic in the oceans? We recycle plastic and the rest is burned. And I reused them anyway. We don't have wild trash depots where plastic gets spread by wind. "But you have microplastics in wild waters, too!" Yes, we have. But this isn't from carry away bags. It is from polyester in clothes, from the enormous amount of rubber in the streets. But, hey, plastic bags are the evil. Here comes the highlight: What do stores use instead? They offer stronger, more expensive, and hence reusable bags ... made of? Of course, polyester and nylon! This creates microplastic by usage! The old one-way bags did not. They had no surface which supported abrasion. But, hey, everybody feels fine that there are "no plastic bags" anymore!? Nobody seems to think to the end anymore.

• #5,662
fresh_42 said:
People are sheep.

The latest hype here is that stores abolished their plastic bags. Why? Plastic in the oceans? We recycle plastic and the rest is burned. And I reused them anyway. We don't have wild trash depots where plastic gets spread by wind. "But you have microplastics in wild waters, too!" Yes, we have. But this isn't from carry away bags. It is from polyester in clothes, from the enormous amount of rubber in the streets. But, hey, plastic bags are the evil. Here comes the highlight: What do stores use instead? They offer stronger, more expensive, and hence reusable bags ... made of? Of course, polyester and nylon! This creates microplastic by usage! The old one-way bags did not. They had no surface which supported abrasion. But, hey, everybody feels fine that there are "no plastic bags" anymore!? Nobody seems to think to the end anymore.
Other places want to ban plastic straws, which are a micro amount of total waste and of plastic waste.

• #5,663
WWGD said:
Other places want to ban plastic straws, which are a micro amount of total waste and of plastic waste.
Here is another holy cow:
https://phys.org/news/2019-12-high-carbon-footprint-families-sweets.html

Today I saw on tv a haute cuisine bakery. They produced high level lactose-free, gluten-free, nuts-free desserts. I only waited for sugar-free on the list. It always reminds me of (first 30 sec):

• #5,664
Merry Christmas!

• #5,665
fresh_42 said:
Merry Christmas!

Danke, but problem now is knowing which places are open and when. You go to your usual coffee shop, market and find it possibly closed. It's a confusing week!

• #5,666
Now even the Powershell wants elevation after the admin command prompt disappeared from the menu/searchbox ; only" standard" cmd.

• #5,667
Xmas eve baking, 40 year old Kitchenaid craps out, Walmart to the rescue with shiny, new, with grounded plug; total elapsed time, <1/2 hour.

• #5,668
More parsing confusion:

"What about Richard Starky"

"Didn't know Richard had a Tarkey". "What is a Tarkey?"

• #5,669
Why do you wear four rings? Five got to be too heavy. (Richard Starkey)

• #5,670
I guess they, at least he, started the count on the rings at 0, right? He is ring0 after all.