What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,776
fresh_42 said:
Funny to read an American German surname (ESPN reporter) that you never saw before, and even don't know where to part the syllables.
Is it dubbed in German? Do you get non-Euro sports like Baseball?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,777
Kirk Herbstreit. Funny name: Herb Streit = tart argue and Herbst Reit = autumn ride.

• #5,778
fresh_42 said:
Kirk Herbstreit. Funny name: Herb Streit = tart argue and Herbst Reit = autumn ride.
Tart argue?

• #5,779
WWGD said:
Is it dubbed in German? Do you get non-Euro sports like Baseball?
Nobody watches adult men chewing tobacco here.

They broadcast football, and right now the College final as a takeover from ESPN. They have German commentators, and good ones: a former NFL player and a coach who won the European championship with France. So at least they know what they are talking about.

• #5,780
WWGD said:
Tart argue?
Google chooses "bitter argument". Herb is not really bitter, but o.k. in a way. E.g. beer with much humulus is "herb", not bitter. The dictionary gave me "dry" or "tart". I guess it's obvious that both words have a common origin, herb and herbs, which indicates the taste.

Streit has no good translation. Quarrel is an option, argument is one, but they don't hit the nail. Quarrel sounds like fighting and argument like reasoning. Streit is more in the middle of them.

• #5,781
fresh_42 said:
Nobody watches adult men chewing tobacco here.

They broadcast football, and right now the College final as a takeover from ESPN. They have German commentators, and good ones: a former NFL player and a coach who won the European championship with France. So at least they know what they are talking about.
So is it a direct translation /rebroadcast or a German made affiliate? Just confused.

• #5,782
WWGD said:
So is it a direct translation /rebroadcast or a German made affiliate? Just confused.
Never heard the name Herbstreit, but it consists of German words. Btw. Ebstreit is also a German word, meaning an argument about inheritance.

• #5,783
fresh_42 said:
Never heard the name Herbstreit, but it consists of German words. Btw. Ebstreit is also a German word, meaning an argument about inheritance.
No, I meant the station. Is it rebroadcast or an affiliate station?

• #5,784
Another random thought: One of the healthiest cuisines is the Japanese, and - let's be honest - one of the unhealthiest the American. But both cultures invented a sport where fat people can participate.
WWGD said:
No, I meant the station. Is it rebroadcast or an affiliate station?
They bought the live coverage (pictures) from ESPN (or whoever owns the rights) and comment it from the studio.

• #5,785
Want to talk about unusual? I saw a rerun of an old show where Marylin Idiot Savant ( German name?) was debating whether her measured IQ was the 228 she claimed. Saw it on someone's PC. Like another weird competition.

• #5,786
Marylin is probably a version of Maria, Idiot is universal, and Savant french.

• #5,787
fresh_42 said:
Marylin is probably a version of Maria, Idiot is universal, and Savant french.
Mary the universal French Idiot? She was in the Guinness book at one point but not last I checked.

• #5,788
fresh_42 said:
Another random thought: One of the healthiest cuisines is the Japanese, and - let's be honest - one of the unhealthiest the American. But both cultures invented a sport where fat people can participate.

They bought the live coverage (pictures) from ESPN (or whoever owns the rights) and comment it from the studio.
You'd be surprised that some channels, I think ESPN included, has fishing shows where someone is filmed while just doing some fishing.

• #5,789
WWGD said:
You'd be surprised that some channels, I think ESPN included, has fishing shows where someone is filmed while just doing some fishing.
And I thought Golf was the ultimate tranquilizer.

• #5,790
They have bowling too. But no cheerleaders anymore.

• #5,791
WWGD said:
Those have been around forever. They are one of my main arguments against solipsism. I have serious doubts that, even in its most deranged state, my mind would have ever come up with TV shows where you watch others fish. (And this is from someone who done some fishing in his time.)

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, collinsmark and WWGD
  • #5,792
Janus said:
Those have been around forever. They are one of my main arguments against solipsism. I have serious doubts that, even in its most deranged state, my mind would have ever come up with TV shows where you watch others fish. (And this is from someone who done some fishing in his time.)
How about chess matches? (Maybe with cheerleaders, as in SNL?) That would add to the proof, put a nail in the coffin for me.

• #5,793
WWGD said:
How about chess matches? (Maybe with cheerleaders, as in SNL?) That would add to the proof, put a nail in the coffin for me.
Chess is exciting and if commented well, an interesting sport!

• #5,794
fresh_42 said:
Chess is exciting and if commented well, an interesting sport!
You like the cheerleaders too? I imagine the comments: "Scratches his nose...going to move his rook...no, changed his mind".

• #5,795
WWGD said:
You like the cheerleaders too?
I'm not sure yet I like them at all.

• #5,796
fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure yet I like them at all.
It is a weird thing. Wonder if any other country has something similar.

• #5,797
WWGD said:
It is a weird thing. Wonder if any other country has something similar.
Does this count?

... and of course our football teams (yes, there exists such a thing) have Cheerleaders, too. Not quite sure about basketball, but probably yes.

• #5,798
fresh_42 said:
Does this count?

... and of course our football teams (yes, there exists such a thing) have Cheerleaders, too. Not quite sure about basketball, but probably yes.

I heard some Euro countries and even Israel have baseball leagues. Small and not widely popupar. Still, kind of surprising. Do you also have basketball leagues?

• #5,799
Basketball, yes, baseball probably not. The only baseball countries I'm aware of are the USA, Cuba and Japan. However, if you count ... uhm ... uhm ... cricket ...

• #5,800
fresh_42 said:
Basketball, yes, baseball probably not. The only baseball countries I'm aware of are the USA, Cuba and Japan. However, if you count ... uhm ... uhm ... cricket ...
No, I've checked and they have some non-pro baseball leagues in these countries. I'll give you a link when I get on my PC; I am on my phone now. I was surprised. Edit: I think this was made possible because of the internet, allowing small groups like Baseball fans outside of the main countries to get together and provide enough of an audience to start a league. Overall RIP with majority tastes/culture thanks to the internet, which allows them to know each other and form groups of common interests.

Last edited:
  • #5,802
Kind of strange to have all these open ports when just turning the computer on, without having connected to the internet yet.

• #5,803
WWGD said:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Baseball+Leagues+in+Europe&atb=v189-1&ia=web

To say something really annoying: Now you have Baseball, you don't have to envy us anymore ;). You too now have an excuse for chewing a known carcinogen and spitting. You're Welcome!
Strange. Last time I saw a baseball ground was at an abandoned US military base near Heidelberg.

• #5,804
fresh_42 said:
Strange. Last time I saw a baseball ground was at an abandoned US military base near Heidelberg.
There may be just a few in each country most likely; fewer than 10-20 I would guess. Maybe even some of them are adapted/adaptable from other sports, i.e., mixed use. Sometimes even stadiums used for rock cncerts are converted to Baseball stadiums. EDIT: Otherwise they are not likely economically viable. Would sound strange to hear of the top 3rd base man for the , e.g., Munich wolves ( made up name).

• #5,805
More questionable claims: This guy telling me that extended fasting will make/keep the brain sharp. But the brain needs food to function well, I tell him. No response.

Then again, this is the guy who told me he uses house cleaners instead of cologne (I don't think he was joking). I told him these house cleaners were not designed to interact with the human body and may be toxic if used near the skin.

• #5,806
People still post things like "List of unwritten rules for..." without seeing a problem with it. I guess "List of ( heretofore) unwritten rules" may sound too clunky. I mean, they are writing a set of rules which they claim are unwritten. Am I being too inflexible here? Just like customer service may assign your ticket the "number" 2-145g , etc. What kind of a number system is that?

• #5,807
WWGD said:
People still post things like "List of unwritten rules for..." without seeing a problem with it. I guess "List of ( heretofore) unwritten rules" may sound too clunky. I mean, they are writing a set of rules which they claim are unwritten.
There's a photo somewhere in lame jokes of a blackboard with the three unwritten rules of life:
...so someone agrees with you.
WWGD said:
Just like customer service may assign your ticket the "number" 2-145g , etc. What kind of a number system is that?
Phone numbers are a fascinating example - pure numeric codes (all the brackets and + signs and spaces are ignored when dialling) that aren't numbers because the leading zeroes matter.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and WWGD
  • #5,808
Ibix said:
There's a photo somewhere in lame jokes of a blackboard with the three unwritten rules of life:

...so someone agrees with you.

Phone numbers are a fascinating example - pure numeric codes (all the brackets and + signs and spaces are ignored when dialling) that aren't numbers because the leading zeroes matter.
Good point about numbers.
But still, the phone company must keep a list of...unlisted phone numbers( Some people ask that their numbers not be listed on the phonebook and I believe they must pay for that).

• #5,809
And mentioning lists of numbers, I remember when I would carry my book 'Dictionary of Mathematics' with me, people would ask: "What's in that book?"(Meaning what is the content of it). I would reply that it is a list of all the numbers, because Math is 'about numbers', and people seemed to buy it and say things like "Hmm...interesting!".

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #5,810
WWGD said:
And mentioning lists of numbers, I remember when I would carry my book 'Dictionary of Mathematics' with me, people would ask: "What's in that book?"(Meaning what is the content of it). I would reply that it is a list of all the numbers, because Math is 'about numbers', and people seemed to buy it and say things like "Hmm...interesting!".
Is there a pocket version that only has the even numbers?

I have a copy of Tolman's Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology that I like reading in public because the cover's on upside down. It's quite funny watching people trying to work out if I'm just posing with an intellectual book but am actually so dumb I haven't noticed I'm holding the book upside down, or... what?

• Haha
Likes Klystron and BillTre