What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,951
WWGD said:
Give me a coffee medium.
Well, madame Zelda is busy now...
That belongs in "Lame Jokes".

Likes Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,952
Keith_McClary said:
That belongs in "Lame Jokes".
All my posts, including Math ones belong in Lame Jokes ;).

Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
  • #5,953
WWGD said:
Kind of weird

There is a surprisingly simpler way of doing this: SELECT Distinct * FROM [Table_Name]
That'll tell you the largest number, but not give you a state (unless I'm misunderstanding what you are doing). That may or may not be what you want.

• #5,954
Ibix said:
That'll tell you the largest number, but not give you a state (unless I'm misunderstanding what you are doing). That may or may not be what you want.
My bad, something else I was working on at the moment. It was getting rid of duplicates in a table. I had seen a few convoluted queries to do it , but this one worked fine. Strange that it is commonly mentioned as an interview question.

• #5,955
Scam alert? Lady at coffee shop asks to borrow my phone charger " for an emergency". Charger does not work for her phone. She then proceeds to chow down on a sandwich, pastry and coffee for some 45 minutes, not apparently attending to the emergency. If you prefer to avoid false negatives takes up more thinking.

• #5,957
WWGD said:
Scam alert? Lady at coffee shop asks to borrow my phone charger " for an emergency"...
So what happened with the charger? Where is a scam involved? Perhaps, she merely has her priorities set 'differently'.

• #5,958
nuuskur said:
So what happened with the charger? Where is a scam involved? Perhaps, she merely has her priorities set 'differently'.
I offered it to her, she tried it . It did not fit her phone and she returned it to me. I looked at her while she ate a large meal until closing time. I can't think of what kind of scam she may have wanted to pull. The charger is not expensive, so keeping it would not be that big of a deal.

• #5,959
Wow, I did not know about iron-free shirts, pants. Good deal, I don't know how to do ironing anyway.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,960
WWGD said:
I offered it to her, she tried it . It did not fit her phone and she returned it to me. I looked at her while she ate a large meal until closing time. I can't think of what kind of scam she may have wanted to pull. The charger is not expensive, so keeping it would not be that big of a deal.
The simplest of all possible scams. She wanted to get you to let her use your phone charger. She presumably had a desire to use her phone. Calling it an "emergency" got you to offer your charger. Calling it "I want to tell my girlfriend about this cute skirt I just thought about buying" could have been both less successful and more embarrassing.

• #5,961
There are two kinds of people: the perverts that enjoy being watched and those who don't.

• #5,962
jbriggs444 said:
The simplest of all possible scams. She wanted to get you to let her use your phone charger. She presumably had a desire to use her phone. Calling it an "emergency" got you to offer your charger. Calling it "I want to tell my girlfriend about this cute skirt I just thought about buying" could have been both less successful and more embarrassing.
I have offered my charger to some who have just asked, no need to say it is an energency. But maybe you're right and she believed I ( people in general) would not lend it otherwise.

Likes jbriggs444
  • #5,963
WWGD said:
I have offered my charger to some who have just asked, no need to say it is an energency. But maybe you're right and she believed I ( people in general) would not lend it otherwise.
Often we see in others those things that we see in ourselves. Happily that makes your blind spot a good thing. Sadly, it makes her misapprehension a bad one.

Likes WWGD
  • #5,964
It seems rapper Snoop Dogg tried to rent the whole country of Lichstentein to film a video. It seems only problem is he applied too late. Country is around 62 sq miles in area, like, say around 6x10.

• #5,965
nuuskur said:
There are two kinds of people: the perverts that enjoy being watched and those who don't.
Any overlap in the two kinds?

• #5,966
Klystron said:
Any overlap in the two kinds?
Merv the Perv?

• #5,967
Parsing language part n : Not a car database but a new singer: Cardi B ## \neq ## Car Db

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
  • #5,968
Fun song:

• #5,969
Good one to use when your losing an argument about the merits of a person:

" If he was so smart, why did he die?"

Seems to throw everyone off.

• #5,970
I saw a YouTube vid that showed an American diner serving medium rare hamburgers. I tried it myself at home and preferred it to well done.

If you were to have a bbq and serve a guest a medium rare burger, they'll reject it, thinking they'll get food poisoning.

• #5,971
skyshrimp said:
I saw a YouTube vid that showed an American diner serving medium rare hamburgers. I tried it myself at home and preferred it to well done.

If you were to have a bbq and serve a guest a medium rare burger, they'll reject it, thinking they'll get food poisoning.
I like them medium. Some even like tartare. Do you? For winter I don't consider cold food for the most part.

• #5,972
I don't like the thought of eating completely raw mince.

• #5,973
skyshrimp said:
I don't like the thought of eating completely raw mince.

Yes, we as a species discovered fire and its benefits a while back. I am not going back into the caves unless ww3 happens and I make it.

• #5,974
I'm pleasantly surprised that a hardware store here has an ad with Ai Weiwei.

• #5,975
fresh_42 said:
I'm pleasantly surprised that a hardware store here has an ad with Ai Weiwei.
It is the Weiwei weight factor.

Likes Klystron
  • #5,976
WWGD said:
It is the Weiwei weight factor.
Weiwei's way way out of my league because of the Weiwei weight factor.

• #5,977
New way of guaranteeing a place in the subway with space : cough, cough (whisper) Corona, cough , cough.

• #5,978
WWGD said:
New way of guaranteeing a place in the subway with space : cough, cough (whisper) Corona, cough , cough.
Lol, I actually made this once, waiting at a traffic light as pedestrian: "Cough, cough, f*** SARS!" Somebody next to me actually jumped away.

• #5,979
fresh_42 said:
Lol, I actually made this once, waiting at a traffic light as pedestrian: "Cough, cough, f*** SARS!" Somebody next to me actually jumped away.
Though it may backfire andlead to the medics jumping on us and putting us in quarantine for a long time.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #5,980
WWGD said:
Though it may backfire andlead to the medics jumping on us and putting us in quarantine for a long time.
Two weeks, all inclusive. Why not?

• #5,981
fresh_42 said:
Two weeks, all inclusive. Why not?
Two weeks? How so? Wont they wait until the epidemic is over?

• #5,982
WWGD said:
Two weeks? How so? Wont they wait until the epidemic is over?
Those who were flown out had to stay 2 weeks - incarnation time. However, they kept them in a military base.

• #5,983
fresh_42 said:
Those who were flown out had to stay 2 weeks - incarnation time. However, they kept them in a military base.
Maybe you must be in the right country when this happens. May not be that much fun in others.

• #5,984
If one is thrown into quarantine along with other suspected cases, the faked cough could turn real.

• #5,985
Also, I attended basic training at Lackland AFB. Ugh!