What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,021
I don't know what's more worrisone: that I mixed Nostradamus with Houdini in a story I was telling or that either no one noticed or at least did not bother to tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,022
They didn't bother because, although they knew such criticism would put you in an awkward spot, they predicted you'd get out of it.

Likes WWGD and Klystron
  • #6,023
Ibix said:
They didn't bother because, although they knew such criticism would put you in an awkward spot, they predicted you'd get out of it.
Wow! This precisely appears in his letter* 6022 random pensorius on Frenchus and me.

EDIT:*To be pretentious, in the Quatraine 6022.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,024
I heard kind of thunder today. Thought it was lightning in a mid of a sunny day. It was just a fast meteor:

• #6,025
zoki85 said:
I heard kind of thunder today. Thought it was lightning in a mid of a sunny day. It was just a fast meteor:

Cool. I hope there won't be at some point a confusion with a missile attack.

• #6,026
Is Youtube needing Lithium?
Manic :" Best Day of my Life" is followed by depressive: " Boulevard of Broken Dreams".

• #6,027
Why do the aliens actually only grab the somewhat stranger specimens of our species?

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,029
Why does greek letters look like little insects? For example you see $$\xi \\ \zeta$$

• #6,030
Adesh said:
Why does greek letters look like little insects? For example you see $$\xi \\ \zeta$$
Optimized for handwriting.

Likes Klystron and Adesh
  • #6,031
I just ordered something from Amazon paying extra for "one-day delivery" which they promise will be delivered on ... Wednesday 4th March. Given that today is 1st March, I make that at least 3 days, or at least 2 working days. Perhaps they have resurrected the old joke that "one-day delivery" means "it will be delivered one day" (as in the old Kodak joke "one day my prints will come").

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and Adesh
  • #6,032
Adesh said:
They were running out of ink and that's what came up when trying to run it on paper.

• Haha
Likes Adesh
  • #6,033
It's the cover up that gets them in trouble:
It seems this lady was kicked out of a plane for lighting a match ...so that no one would notice she had farted. Nice balancing act. Hmm, do I blow up the plane killing everyone , including myself or do I embarrass myself for 2 minutes to people I will never see again who will forget about it by tomorrow? Ok, where are my matches?

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,034
I was feeling good about myself when someone asked me a Math question and I gave them a reasonably good answer. But then he asked me two more I had no idea about, to remind me how little I know: are there infinitely many primes in the Fibonacci? Is there , for every prime p, a Fibonacci that is a multiple of p?

Likes Klystron
  • #6,035
WWGD said:
I was feeling good about myself when someone asked me a Math question and I gave them a reasonably good answer. But then he asked me two more I had no idea about, to remind me how little I know: are there infinitely many primes in the Fibonacci? Is there , for every prime p, a Fibonacci that is a multiple of p?
Your interlocutor must have been a rabbit rancher; er..., farmer; er... wrangler. The best rabbit wranglers only want to raise pedigree prime Fibonacci bunnies. Motto inscribed over each hutch:

! El Conejo mas fino !​
("Only the finest bunnies!")​
Many beginning math textbooks introduce Fibonacci sequence using rabbit generations. Recent translations of old textbooks derived from Fibonacci's writings do not mention rabbits.
Fibonnaci was likely proficient in contemporary Spanish and Arabic.
The motto on each Corona beer bottle: ! La Cerveza mas fina !
An interlocutor refers to a persistent questioner.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #6,036
Klystron said:
The name of our best-before-date here is: "date up to which it is durable at least" Of course we have only one word "Mindesthaltbarkeitsdatum", MHD.

But no matter how often I complained, what they print on the bottles of beer is always wrong!

• #6,037
I was at a supermarket. According to what I have seen I can assure you that the end is near!

• #6,038
Klystron said:
Your interlocutor must have been a rabbit rancher; er..., farmer; er... wrangler. The best rabbit wranglers only want to raise pedigree prime Fibonacci bunnies. Motto inscribed over each hutch:

! El Conejo mas fino !​
("Only the finest bunnies!")​
Many beginning math textbooks introduce Fibonacci sequence using rabbit generations. Recent translations of old textbooks derived from Fibonacci's writings do not mention rabbits.
Fibonnaci was likely proficient in contemporary Spanish and Arabic.
An interlocutor refers to a persistent questioner.
And somehow Spain is called " Land of Rabbits" ??

• #6,039
Fight the real enemy:
Webpages that open a new tab when you click on something. After a few hours I have some 100+ tabs open and need to spend like a minute to go back and forth.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,040
I waited for the bathroom for 25 minutes until I realized the guy I thought was in line before me was just some weird guy hanging in front of the bathroom for no apparent reason.

• #6,041
Sometimes I find it very funny that Hendrik Antoon Lorentz said “lengths gets shortened, time runs slow when we move relative to ether” only for maintaining the existence of ether. 😀😅

Why just for saving the concept of ether he doubted the nature of space and time (which are more basic and foundational than ether) ?

• #6,042
It depends when he said that. The Lorentz transforms were developed in the early 1890s, and spacetime wasn't introduced until 1908, by Minkowski. And relativity fatally damages Newtonian gravity, a mess that wasn't resolved until general relativity, published in 1915. And even then, one shouldn't accept a new theory without a decent try at defending the old - that would be almost as foolish as refusing to abandon the old when the defence becomes unreasonable.

• #6,043
Interesting: 7-1-9-3 , list of last digits of the first 300,000 prime numbers, by frequency order. Edit: primes larger than 5.

Last edited:
  • #6,044
And how many have 0,2,4,5,6,8?

• #6,045
Nitpick: shouldn't 5 and 2 be there at the end?

• #6,046
Ibix said:
Nitpick: shouldn't 5 and 2 be there at the end?
Fair-enough: primes larger than 5. Will edit.

Likes Ibix
  • #6,047
It seems reasonable that emails that ask you to enter your original email when unsubscribing are just asking to check whether you're an actual recipient and their random spamming hit a target.

• #6,048
I've never understood electromagnetic radiation. I've read a bit of the Wiki on it, but I don't get it yet.

Every atom in the universe emits EMR unless in absolute zero state. You're emitting it right now in infrared.

If photons are emitted from electrons (dropping a state), I would have thought they must be a subatomic component of one.

Then how can the electrons in a star emit a constant wave of photons at the speed of light for billions of years?

An electron cannot contain infinite photons so the oscillation/excitation of an electron is propagating through a field as apposed to releasing a physical component of itself. A photon is a wave in the field which would mean it isn't a single unit (confused).

So anything above absolute zero oscillates a field which we perceive as heat and light.

I'm probably way off but this logic let's me sleep atm. I've tried to Google papers on it, but stop when I see the fluster cuck of formulas that may as well be Egyptian hieroglyphs.

• #6,049
fresh_42 said:
Two weeks, all inclusive. Why not?
In some countries you will get a bill for that.

• #6,050
WWGD said:
Scam alert? Lady at coffee shop asks to borrow my phone charger " for an emergency". Charger does not work for her phone. She then proceeds to chow down on a sandwich, pastry and coffee for some 45 minutes, not apparently attending to the emergency. If you prefer to avoid false negatives takes up more thinking.
"https://www.idiomeanings.com/pick-up-line-2/".

Likes WWGD
  • #6,051
Keith_McClary said:
Nerd symptomatic. I once missed one for the same reasons: answered to content and couldn't see the intention.

"Do you come here more often or is this the first time?"
"Yes."

• #6,052
I will change my shopping strategy these days. Instead of battling about a box of pasta or some rice, I will wait near the cash registers for people who have forgotten something and run back in the market to fill my cart with the goods they have collected. All at one place these times, namely other people's carts! You can find everything.

• #6,053
Keith_McClary said:
Not so sure. She sat right next to me, tried the charger which did not work ; we had a short exchange she could have built on if she wished and then never said an additonal word for the next hour or so. But maybe she just did a poor job of it.

Edit. Just remembering : She did ask me, when leaving, about the fresh hot_ meister 42. Guess that's what she wanted all along ;).

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary and Klystron
  • #6,054
New phrase:

I saw Sidney and Cindy in Disney with Kiev cheff Jeff.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,055
Not knot theory?

Knute knots known knots, not unknown unknots.

Canute cannot unknot Knute's known knots. Not?

Likes WWGD