What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,126
WWGD said:
Journalists said the professor had a bloody saw. But maybe it was British journalists. Je had a bloody saw. How would they say it: He had a bloody bloody saw?
I saw Saw but I didn't see Saw 2

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,127
lavinia said:
I saw Saw but I didn't see Saw 2
You saw saw the bloody bloody saw?

• #6,128
Don't forget: These are the good old days of tomorrow!

• Sad
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,129
Not too bright of a thing to do. New comedian making political jokes. Lost half the potential audience. Stay out of politics until you're successful. I prefer to separate the two unless you're with people you agree with.

• #6,130
fresh_42 said:
Don't forget: These are the good old days of tomorrow!
I will proudly tell my grandsons I saved the world by sitting on my ass all day watching TV and eating chips. I deserve a medal for bravery.

Likes lavinia, Keith_McClary and fresh_42
  • #6,131
Is there a reason why you use the same word patient in two different contexts? Ok, you have to be patient as a patient nowadays, but this is a thin explanation.

• #6,132
fresh_42 said:
Is there a reason why you use the same word patient in two different contexts? Ok, you have to be patient as a patient nowadays, but this is a thin explanation.
Online etymology suggests that patience has always been attribute of a patient -- suffering in silence. I see no reason to disagree.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,133
Name for a new mice trap: The demise of de mice.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,134
fresh_42 said:
The demise of de mice. Same thing.

• #6,135
WWGD said:

Five men in a car are commuting to work and are driving through the Lincoln tunnel. Their tongues are hanging out, Their eyes are bulging. Their heads are hanging out of the window.They are ripping their shirts open. They are yanking convulsively on their ties. They are clutching the roof of the car.

It was diagnosed as Carpool Tunnel Syndrome

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,136
WWGD said:

To my Swiss friend Michele, whose native language is French, the words "garbage" and "cabbage" in English sound exactly the same. In French the words "fossils" and "faux cils" sound exactly the same to me.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,137
lavinia said:
To my Swiss friend Michele, whose native language is French, the words "garbage" and "cabbage" in English sound exactly the same. In French the words "fossils" and "faux cils" sound exactly the same to me.
Combining both languages, she can sho(w) the cabbage is chaud.

• #6,138
Un oeuf is enough.

Likes Klystron, Bystander and lavinia
  • #6,139
DrGreg said:
Un oeuf is enough.
No, it isn't.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,140
fresh_42 said:
No, it isn't.
Depends if you're egged on to eat more or not.

• #6,142
sho
WWGD said:
Combining both languages, she can sho(w) the cabbage is chaud.
Sho an oeuf

Likes Klystron
  • #6,143
Corvid.jpg

• Love
Likes SammyS, BillTre and Keith_McClary
  • #6,144
We have a phrase here to answer someone who told you something completely irrelevant, not of any interest or boring: "That interests me about as much as if a sack of rice falls over in China."

Can someone please remind me, to run and buy: sanitizers, one way gloves, FFP3 masks, toilet paper, paper towels, canned food, and pasta if in China falls a sack of rice again.

• #6,145
fresh_42 said:
We have a phrase here to answer someone who told you something completely irrelevant, not of any interest or boring: "That interests me about as much as if a sack of rice falls over in China."

Can someone please remind me, to run and buy: sanitizers, one way gloves, FFP3 masks, toilet paper, paper towels, canned food, and pasta if in China falls a sack of rice again.
Why is it that China keeps getting used in these sayings? The one I grew up with was:
"What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"
For when someone said something irrelevant.

Likes Ibix
  • #6,146
Janus said:
Why is it that China keeps getting used in these sayings? The one I grew up with was:
"What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"
For when someone said something irrelevant.
Similarly, my Dad used "not for all the tea in China" to mean "not under any circumstances".

• #6,147
Maybe because it is often considered to be on the "other side of the world".

• #6,148
Sign of the times? I saw an empty , used, cup with the Starbucks logo by the side of the road and I felt a pang of nostalgia, almost shed a tear: ah, the old days when you went to a coffee shop to hang out...

• #6,149
Janus said:
Why is it that China keeps getting used in these sayings?
I think because it is as far as it can get, it's (had been) mysterious, and it is strange in comparison to the alternatives downunder.

• #6,150
Wait, maybe we can find a connection here:
Rice is a food staple in China, If a bag of rice falls over and spills, this could reduce the food supply, which in turn is used to feed the workers in the tea industry. Poorly fed workers produce less, causing a shortage of tea, driving its price up!

• Haha
Likes BillTre and fresh_42
  • #6,151
But the insistence on getting rid of bats will put an end to the Baseball season!

Likes SammyS
  • #6,152
New coffee shop chain Birch coffee shop chose to use cursive letters for some of its signs. New suggested logo:" No, not a t, its an r".

• #6,153
fresh_42 said:
{snip}
The saying I learned as a child for irrelevant information from a faraway place was:

"What has that to do with the price of peanuts in Perth?"​

The "price of peanuts" part was probably alliteration. Everything Australian was considered cool back then; so, Perth. In the 1960's kids would talk about visiting Australia; in the 1980's, Alaska. My children like to visit Asia; my grandchildren, Europe. So, full circle. Everything old is new again.

• #6,154
WWGD said:
New coffee shop chain Birch coffee shop chose to use cursive letters for some of its signs. New suggested logo:" No, not a t, its an r".
Too bad, isn't it?

• #6,155
fresh_42 said:
Too bad, isn't it?
You would imagine they would know better. Wonder if they will change it and admit their mistake, that it was not a good idea. Specially after McD's McWrap ( Ma Crap) just a few years back. "Would you like a McWrap?". " Well, it's kind of personal, don't you think?".

• #6,156
Posts have been deleted, debate is not allowed in random thoughts.

• #6,157
Fair enough, but a priori how would one know this?

• #6,158
This is one reason I like Kansas:

skyfire.jpg

• Love
Likes Evo, DennisN, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #6,159
Edit:Started talking to this Russian guy named Timur. I told him there was a city in the US named after him (Clearly not him personally but someone of his same name)Baltimur. He believed and seemed so happy that it felt too awkward to tell him it was a joke. Hope he won't make too much of an idiot of himself if/when talking about it.

Last edited:
  • #6,160
Let's go shopping. In 1663. :smile:

387-Year-Old Shopping List Discovered Under Floorboards In Historic English Home
http://archaeology-world.com/387-year-old-shopping-list-discovered-under-floorboards-in-historic-english-home/

Robert Draper (1633) said:
Mr. Bilby, I pray p[ro]vide to be sent too morrow in ye Cart some Greenfish, The Lights from my Lady Cranfield[es] Cham[ber] 2 dozen of Pewter spoon[es]: one greate fireshovell for ye nursery; and ye o[t]hers which were sent to be exchanged for some of a better fashion, a new frying pan together with a note of ye prises of such Commoditie for ye rest.

Your loving friend

Robert Draper

Octobre 1633

Copthall
letter-1-1.jpg

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, Borg and BillTre