What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,371
DennisN said:
I just saw a short interview with Liam Neeson.
I didn't know he was into physics, he even did an explanation of an experiment, I guess he likes physics: :smile:

Physics of fighting hijackers in a plane?

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,372
I wonder what the minimal algebraic conditions are in an algebrsic structure A for a polynomial in A[x] to have at least one solution. Algebraic closure is overkill, but finite stru tures like, e.g. Zn don't have the property.

• #6,373
If any polynomial has at least one solution then you get algebraic closure, since you can always divide off that zero and proceed with the rest. Otherwise ##A## shouldn't be Euclidean, esp. no PID. If you allow non integral domains for ##A## things get weird I guess.

• #6,374
fresh_42 said:
If any polynomial has at least one solution then you get algebraic closure, since you can always divide off that zero and proceed with the rest. Otherwise ##A## shouldn't be Euclidean, esp. no PID. If you allow non integral domains for ##A## things get weird I guess.
What do you do with , e.g., ##(x+1)(x^2+1)## over the Reals?

• #6,375
WWGD said:
What do you do with , e.g., ##(x+1)(x^2+1)## over the Reals?
The point is, that you didn't pose any restrictions on the polynomials. So as long as you require that any polynomial splits, you get the entire package. The definitions in question are "normal and separable field extensions", but you didn't require a field. As I write this, I wonder what e.g. ##\mathfrak{su}(n)[x]## would look like.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,376
I understand, thanks, that I can always extend by an element of choice. But, short of knowing the structure in question is already an extension, is there a ready-made structure where this is guaranteed? Maybe not, don't see a reason for this to be the case.

• #6,377
WWGD said:
... is there a ready-made structure where this is guaranteed?
Not sure what you mean by "this". There are universal objects or you can "tensor up" the scalars, e.g. from real to complex ##-\otimes_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{C}##. Then there are (half) group algebras etc. An indeterminate attached to a structure is normally just a simple transcendental extension. Looking for zeros is asking for ideals.

But Galois theory is only one branch where those questions lead to. Others are algebraic geometry, complex analysis, K-theory, quadratic forms, elliptic curves or whatever. We need polynomials and their zeros even in linear algebra. Those damn things are everywhere.

• #6,378
Kind of weird response:
" Let's open up a restaurant".
" All restaurants around here are already open!".

• #6,379
They pay "journalists" to take a small table of numbers and expand it into thousands of words like this:
Newfoundland reported no new cases of COVID-19 on Monday marking three full days without a new infection.

The province has tested 20,583 people for the virus so far, and 258 have recovered from infections.

According to health authorities, a total of three people have died as a result of COVID-19.

Neither the Northwest Territories or Nunavut reported new cases of COVID-19 on Monday.

So far, the Northwest Territories has not seen any COVID-19-related deaths, and has tested 2,859 people for the virus.

A total of five people have recovered from infections in the territory.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7171991/canada-coronavirus-infections-world-13-million/

And then they wonder why the traditional media are dying.

• #6,380
I know an academic (in biology) who is unable to makes heads or tails out of a 2 x 3 excel table (?$%#@&?).
Putting it in words can be helpful to some people.

Likes Ibix
  • #6,381
Mi friend designed an app that uses a database and thinks he can avoid injection through login and permission restrictions only, without parametrizing queries. Doubt it will work out.

• #6,382
fresh_42 said:
I wonder what e.g. ##\mathfrak{su}(n)[x]## would look like.
Very bright. Use a filter.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi and WWGD
  • #6,383
My sharpness in dealing with technical questions:
"Should we use discord ?"
" No, I prefer dat cord".

• Haha
Likes etotheipi and Ibix
  • #6,384
WWGD said:
Mi friend designed an app that uses a database and thinks he can avoid injection through login and permission restrictions only, without parametrizing queries. Doubt it will work out.
Looks like a job for little Bobby Tables.

Likes etotheipi, Keith_McClary and WWGD
  • #6,385
WWGD said:
My sharpness in dealing with technical questions:
"Should we use discord ?"
" No, I prefer dat cord".
Sharpies is a forbidden word.

• #6,386
Ibix said:
Very bright. Use a filter.
And SPF 5 or higher.

• #6,387
fresh_42 said:
Sharpies is a forbidden word.
Where? How about if I mention the Sharpies of Jehova? ( Stones already coming my way. I am outta here).

• #6,388
WWGD said:
How about if I mention the Sharpies of Jehova?
You are sentenced to have a false beard drawn on your face in permanent ink.

Nobody is to draw a beard on anybody, even if they do say Sharpies!

Likes WWGD
  • #6,390
fresh_42 said:
Romani ite domum!
Qued Era Demonstrandum ( Too lazy to look it up( I am on my phone). Something about Romans, I guess.)

• #6,391
fresh_42 said:
Romani ite domum!
What have Monty Python ever done for us?

Likes Ibix
  • #6,392
WWGD said:
Qued Era Demonstrandum ( Too lazy to look it up. Something about Romans, I guess.)
"Romans go home" - the correct version. Brian originally writes "Romanes eunt domus" which John Cleese translates as "People called Romans, they go, the 'ouse" before giving a lesson in Latin grammar at swordpoint.

• #6,393
DrGreg said:
...well, there's the Dead Parrot sketch.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,394
Ibix said:
"Romans go home" - the correct version. Brian originally writes "Romanes eunt domus" which John Cleese translates as "People called Romans, they go, the 'ouse" before giving a lesson in Latin grammar at swordpoint.
Domum arigato .

• #6,395
WWGD said:
Domum arigato .
Bitter schön

• #6,396
DrGreg said:
Ibix said:
...well, there's the Dead Parrot sketch.
And not to forget the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,397
fresh_42 said:
And not to forget the Ministry of Silly Walks.
But apart from the Dead Parrot, the Ministry of Silly Walks, Fish Slapping, the Black Knight, the Spanish Inquisition, Monsieur Creosote, and the Killing Joke, what have bloody Monty Python ever done for us?

Likes BillTre and DrGreg
  • #6,398
Ibix said:
But apart from the Dead Parrot, the Ministry of Silly Walks, Fish Slapping, the Black Knight, the Spanish Inquisition, Monsieur Creosote, and the Killing Joke, what have bloody Monty Python ever done for us?
The unladen swallow, Loretta.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,399
Want absurdity?
Just saw online images of protestors in front of a Starbucks:
We
Want
Just
Ice

And they're rioting just because they want ice? I like my drink cold, but I am not that hard core about it.

• #6,400
Ibix said:
They made a three-sided album, The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief.

When you played the second side of the vinyl disc, you would randomly hear one of two completely different sets of sketches. This would have come as a complete surprise to most listeners, as there was nothing on the label or sleeve to indicate what would happen. To add to the confusion, both sides of the disc were labelled "Side 1".
Two concentric spiral grooves, interleaved between each other, instead of the usual one.

Likes etotheipi, Ibix, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #6,401
main-qimg-3fc7864654dabcb23039a1291e8ef1e6.jpeg

Likes etotheipi and gmax137
  • #6,402
main-qimg-000adf058baab668a7f977ef3a99cbc7.jpeg

• Love
Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
  • #6,403
main-qimg-5374ba890f02df1dfda1f8ead0d73f98.jpeg

Likes Ibix
  • #6,404
Ibix said:
The Galaxy Song:

Likes WWGD and Ibix
  • #6,405
DrGreg said:
They made a three-sided album, The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief.

When you played the second side of the vinyl disc, you would randomly hear one of two completely different sets of sketches. This would have come as a complete surprise to most listeners, as there was nothing on the label or sleeve to indicate what would happen. To add to the confusion, both sides of the disc were labelled "Side 1".
Two concentric spiral grooves, interleaved between each other, instead of the usual one.

Yep.
Skip to ~4:38 to see the Monty Python specific part.