What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,441
I'm still thinking about creating my own drinks.

I need to order citric acid, malic acid, phosphoric acid, taurine, B12 powder, sorbitol and other cool stuff off of eBay.

I want to make sour fruit ice drinks. I can make it easily by buying a large slush puppie and adding an energy drink, but I want to make specific sugar free flavours like lychee etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,442
WWGD said:
With the disappeatence of Analog clocks, wonder if generation Z( I think born around 2018 or after) will know the meaning of ' Clockwise/Counterclockwise).

And what would be the name of the generation after Z?
What is a clock?

• Haha
Likes WWGD, Klystron and Tom.G
  • #6,443
fresh_42 said:
What is a clock?
Like a watch, just on a wall. Or, if like most people, off the wall.

• #6,444
skyshrimp said:
I'm still thinking about creating my own drinks.

I need to order citric acid, malic acid, phosphoric acid, taurine, B12 powder, sorbitol and other cool stuff off of eBay.

I want to make sour fruit ice drinks. I can make it easily by buying a large slush puppie and adding an energy drink, but I want to make specific sugar free flavours like lychee etc.
You mean for a business?

• #6,445
The irony.
Just read a statement: Everyone who speaks in absolutes is an idiot. So, does the barber shave himself?

• #6,446
Does anyone remember when Corvid-Sars-2 came into life? There is reasonable astronomic evidence that Jesus was actually born 7 BC (Saturn Jupiter conjunction). This means December 2012 was actually December 2019. And wasn't there something with the Maya? Now let's also take the Gregorian shift into account ...

• #6,447
fresh_42 said:
Does anyone remember when Corvid-Sars-2 came into life? There is reasonable astronomic evidence that Jesus was actually born 7 BC (Saturn Jupiter conjunction). This means December 2012 was actually December 2019. And wasn't there something with the Maya? Now let's also take the Gregorian shift into account ...
So, Jesus was born before Jesus? Jesus!

• #6,448
Seems one of the 3 Baltic countries offers a virtual citizenship. I'm too lazy, maybe @nuuskur can tell us a bit about it (If you're familiar with it; please ignore otherwise)? #$% Internet took away the excuse for not looking things up and must admit of lazyness.

• #6,449
There is e-Residency. It is not equivalent to citizenship, but it does allow one to make use of e-services e.g sign documents digitally. This allows one to conduct formalities from a distance, so foreign entrepeneurs are into Estonian e-Residency. I don't know too much about it, because I have citizenship :P

Likes WWGD
  • #6,450
nuuskur said:
There is e-Residency. It is not equivalent to citizenship, but it does allow one to make use of e-services e.g sign documents digitally. This allows one to conduct formalities from a distance, so foreign entrepeneurs are into Estonian e-Residency. I don't know too much about it, because I have citizenship :P
I read you have a pretty good tech scene there too, right? And very fast internet. I assume so, since you can do all your government paperwork online. Pretty secure too.

• #6,451
In and around the bigger towns, having 100/100 or 300/300 (Mbit/s) down and up is quite usual. There is a lot of fibreoptics going around. There's no fibreoptics (yet) where I live so I make do with a 100/25 connection for now :P

There is also excellent 4G wireless, but I don't use it much, because the data rates are ridiculously expensive.As for security, it seems it's all relative. There is constant criticism about weak security of the systems. The entire ID card-related security protocols are due to be revamped next year. I have never felt the adverse effects of these supposed security loopholes, so I don't worry too much about it. Yes, we can do most transactions online. Most notably, it takes not five minutes to fill your annual tax return.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #6,452
I am not an engineer nor pm nor designer but I can tell bad ideas on products when I see them. Why have unnecessary moving parts? I was looking for a belt, took it with my hands and stretched it outwards. It snapped open , because there were two parts connected , instead of being a single piece. Whose idea was that?

• Wow
Likes Evo
  • #6,453
WWGD said:
I am not an engineer nor pm ...
The US doesn't have a PM. That's the UK.

• #6,454
fresh_42 said:
The US doesn't have a PM. That's the UK.
Does the UK have a UKulele though?

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,455
" A Project Manager is someone who believes nine women together can have a baby in one month". Not sure if true, but pretty funny.

• #6,456
WWGD said:
" A Project Manager is someone who ...
... uses the project management tool formerly known as PRINCE.

• #6,457
WWGD said:
" A Project Manager is someone who believes nine women together can have a baby in one month". Not sure if true, but pretty funny.
I like the following version:
"I need five more men to stay in time! Or a woman."

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
  • #6,458
WWGD said:
" A Project Manager is someone who ...
DrGreg said:
... is forced to drown in administration tasks to comply with the auditors instead of getting the job done.

Likes Ibix
  • #6,459
There's room for screwups at every level.

The Project.jpg

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, BillTre, Klystron and 3 others
  • #6,460
How the project is documented 😂
It really be like that sometimes.

• #6,461
fresh_42 said:
... is forced to drown in administration tasks to comply with the auditors instead of getting the job done.
Du bist ein Former PM? IT , I would guess?

Likes fresh_42
  • #6,462
DrGreg said:
TAFKAP unfortunately died in 2016. Purple Rain and all.

• #6,463
WWGD said:
Gary Gray is the only combo I know where the name is an anagram of the last name.
How about, "Norm Morn"?

Gary: "Mornin' Norm Morn!"
Norm: "G' day, Gary Gray."

Likes WWGD
  • #6,464
Klystron said:
How about, "Norm Morn"?

Gary: "Mornin' Norm Morn!"
Norm: "G' day, Gary Gray."
Ian Nai? Bob Obb? I just never ran into any of these IRL. Good morn, Norm Romn. G'Day, Gary Gray.

• #6,465
WWGD said:
Ian Nai? Bob Obb? I just never ran into any of these IRL. Good morn, Norm Romn. G'Day, Gary Gray.
How about anagramed pairs? Gary Cral and Carl Gray? Gary Lare and Earl Gray? Imagine one example in a married couple. I would beg them not to divorce.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,466
Likes Klystron and WWGD
  • #6,467
hmmm27 said:
And his birthdate is a palindrome: 1/3/31, sort of on the same family.

Likes Klystron and hmmm27
  • #6,468
Programming mood swings...

Estatic at having finally figured out how to assemble a complex environment and getting everything to work. :partytime:

Depressed at having to document which of the 300 links over the previous 2 days were the ones that actually got all of the parts working rather than dead end Google searches. o0)

Likes WWGD and Ibix
  • #6,469
hmmm27 said:
Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how you went about finding this example. Did you scrape or somehow queried Wikipedia?

• #6,470
fresh_42 said:
Is this the old trope of women being underpaid? If this was the case, companies would hire only women to do the work, which they would supposedly complete at, e.g., 80% of the cost that men would complete it. Yet this does not happen, seriously putting the claim in question.

• #6,471
WWGD said:
Is this the old trope of women being underpaid? If this was the case, companies would hire only women to do the work, which they would supposedly complete at, e.g., 80% of the cost that men would complete it. Yet this does not happen, seriously putting the claim in question.
No, it's not about payment. It refers to the fact that women get things done more efficiently, i.e. with far less "meetings". It is also the case, that men compete better if a woman is around. They might not know, but they instinctively attempt to make an impression. The difficulties sometimes occur, if you have more than one woman in the team.

• #6,472
fresh_42 said:
No, it's not about payment. It refers to the fact that women get things done more efficiently, i.e. with far less "meetings". It is also the case, that men compete better if a woman is around. They might not know, but they instinctively attempt to make an impression. The difficulties sometimes occur, if you have more than one woman in the team.
So the ideal team is composed of several men and one woman?

• #6,473
WWGD said:
Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how you went about finding this example. Did you scrape or somehow queried Wikipedia?

Pure'ish serendipity, or possibly my tinfoil hat's sprung a leak : I googled for "Lester Tesler" and that came up as an alternative spelling.

WWGD said:
fresh_42 said:
Is this the old trope of women being underpaid?
An even older trope : "men are useless", that was very popular in the (19)70s/80s, pervasive in family-oriented TV/movies : husband/dad's a klutz and the wife/kids have to compensate : hilarity ensues.

The kernel of truth is that - apart from the need of outsiders to have to work harder to gain respect - women are generally better at multitasking (I won't posit biological andor cultural) : the underlying message promotes the idea of women in the workplace, in non-"traditional" roles.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
  • #6,474
WWGD said:
So the ideal team is composed of several men and one woman?
I think this is a bit too oversimplified. E.g. such a "team" has significantly higher chances to die in a car crash if they are in one car driving home from a bar or disco.

• #6,475
fresh_42 said:
I think this is a bit too oversimplified. E.g. such a "team" has significantly higher chances to die in a car crash if they are in one car driving home from a bar or disco.
Must be an interesting project if they're all going to a disco together.

• Haha
Likes Klystron