What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,281
WWGD said:
so, @fresh_42 : Any update on your musical query?
I considered it solved. The .wav file I uploaded has had the title if opened with Windows player.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,282
fresh_42 said:
I considered it solved. The .wav file I uploaded has had the title if opened with Windows player.

Good. I want to go home. I want to go home, I feel so broke up, I want to go home.

Is it originally theirs?

• #7,283
WWGD said:
Good. I want to go home. I want to go home, I feel so broke up, I want to go home.

Is it originally theirs?
I read that it is a Caribbean folk song, but I don't remember whether the entire song or only the tune.

• #7,284
After being wiped out financially in his divorce, Robert DeNiro is now called Robert" No Tengo" DeNiro.

• #7,285
fresh_42 said:
I read that it is a Caribbean folk song, but I don't remember whether the entire song or only the tune.
Why are some Californians singing so many songs about the Caribbean? How about the other one: Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I want to take her, Bermuda, Banana , common pretty mama ...( can't remember the name of the song). Not enough interesting things going on in Cali?

• #7,286
WWGD said:
Why are some Californians singing so many songs about the Caribbean? How about the other one: Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I want to take her, Bermuda, Banana , common pretty mama ...( can't remember the name of the song). Not enough interesting things going on in Cali?
Kokomo. Seems so. At least a lot fewer islands.

• #7,287
fresh_42 said:
Kokomo. Seems so. At least a lot fewer islands.
I never heard of any island called Kokomo. It is the name of a town, in, I think, Indiana. Even stranger. Guess all that stuff they smoked?

• #7,288
WWGD said:
I never heard of any island called Kokomo. It is the name of a town, in, I think, Indiana. Even stranger. Guess all that stuff they smoked?
Kokomo is a pop song by The Beach Boys. It appeared in 1988 as a single on Elektra Records and is part of the soundtrack to the movie Cocktail. Filming locations: mainly Canada, NYC, and Jamaica. At least a bit of a justification.

• #7,289
fresh_42 said:
Kokomo is a pop song by The Beach Boys. It appeared in 1988 as a single on Elektra Records and is part of the soundtrack to the movie Cocktail. Filming locations: mainly Canada, NYC, and Jamaica. At least a bit of a justification.
To make it even stranger, Jamaica ( Queens) is part of NYC. But it seems it originates from a local tribe called Jamaeka or something like that. Edit: But maybe the BB were sampling the merchandise from ' Cocktail'.

• #7,290
BTW, I think the BBs are still playing, orcat least did some reunion shows. Some band had one " Hell Froze Over", but I think it was not them.

• #7,291
WWGD said:
BTW, I think the BBs are still playing, orcat least did some reunion shows. Some band had one " Hell Froze Over", but I think it was not them.
Yep, they are still around, sometimes even on tv shows (e.g. Home Improvement).

Edit: I think the movie was (partly) filmed on real Jamaica, not Queens. But there could have been a parallel. I don't know the movie, only what imdb told me.

• #7,292
fresh_42 said:
Yep, they are still around, sometimes even on tv shows (e.g. Home Improvement).

Edit: I think the movie was (partly) filmed on real Jamaica, not Queens. But there could have been a parallel. I don't know the movie, only what imdb told me.
It's pretty impressive how many bands today keep playing even with members into their 70s. They must be doing something consistently right.

• #7,293
I finally heard a description of the "80-hr Workweek" that makes sense. It is not full-on work at the office but more like 40hrs of office/regular work and other 40 hrs of research and followups.

Except this guy on a food truck I remember. He worked from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m daily. I can't guarantee he followed it strictly but he was always there when I walked by his truck. I camt understand how he pulled it of.

• #7,294
The most crowded, most peaceful open-air music event in Germany with the most drunken visitors is a Heavy Metal concert over several days in the middle of nowhere with only farmers living there.

• #7,295
fresh_42 said:
The most crowded, most peaceful open-air music event in Germany with the most drunken visitors is a Heavy Metal concert over several days in the middle of nowhere with only farmers living there.
Not sure it's the one you're talking about but I understand they had trouble in Germany last year when people attented their own parties in parks in defiance of Covid prohibitions.

• #7,296
WWGD said:
Not sure it's the one you're talking about but I understand they had trouble in Germany last year when people attented their own parties in parks in defiance of Covid prohibitions.
It didn't take place last year due to Covid. I was just mentioning the normal as I saw a documentary on tv. I'm always astonished how it works out well, the clash between completely different kinds of people: headbangers versus farmers. Of course, it is a win-win situation, nevertheless, they find a peaceful way of coexistence despite the fact that the ground is probably ruined for the rest of the year.

• #7,297
I recently got a work email that caused this quote from Civilization IV to come to mind:

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

• Sad
Likes BillTre, Keith_McClary and fresh_42
  • #7,298
Borg said:
I recently got a work email that caused this quote from Civilization IV to come to mind:

This is as sad as it is true. It is a self re-inforcing construction. I like Bones version of it:

McCoy: The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.

Likes Frabjous and BillTre
  • #7,299
Borg said:
quote from Civilization IV

Attributed to Oscar Wilde, but no sources.

• #7,300
WWGD said:

Is it originally theirs?

fresh_42 said:
Growing up in California around the same time as the original Beach Boys band members, we learned to sing and play "Sloop John-B" in grade school. Harry Belafonte helped popularize the song on television at least a few years before the Beach Boys began recording.

I also learned the song was Caribbean folk. Pete Seeger and The Weavers performed a staid version of "John-B" minus the drinking references at my grammar school auditorium. "If I had a hammer.."

• Informative
Likes fresh_42
  • #7,301
I used it again: The barista told me, when I asked for ice in my drink: " Lucky you, this is the last ice I have". I asked her to tell me " I only have ice for you".

• #7,302
Reflex reaction when hearing " Happy Father's day": " Not me, I have the DNA test to prove it!".

• #7,303
Borg said:

Reminds me of, "the department of redundancy department," -- Firesign Theater

• #7,304
Borg said:

Reminds me of

”Yes, yes, yes, I do see that there is a real dilemma here. In that, while it has been government policy to regard policy as a responsibility of Ministers and administration as a responsibility of Officials, the questions of administrative policy can cause confusion between the policy of administration and the administration of policy, especially when responsibility for the administration of the policy of administration conflicts, or overlaps with, responsibility for the policy of the administration of policy.” Sir Humphrey Appleby

Likes gmax137
  • #7,305
And that reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide. :oldtongue:

• #7,306
Borg said:
Here we have a Ministry of Red Tape Reduction.

• #7,307
Keith_McClary said:
PLEASE, PLEASE, have them train our local bureaucrats!

• #7,308
Tom.G said:
PLEASE, PLEASE, have them train our local bureaucrats!
First, they will need to get staffed up and develop policies and procedures.

• Sad
  • Haha
Likes Klystron, fresh_42 and Tom.G
  • #7,309
In a sense it is similar to what happens with research papers. They get so bogged down on technicalities and definitions that it takes up most of the time and energy to address these, rather than do the work. Like " Agricultural habits of the Mayas": What do we mean by habits/agriculture? And who exactly are the Mayas, etc? And on and on. At least in the Social " Sciences" .

• #7,310
I don't mean to look down at them but treating them as natural sciences does not seem to make much sense.

• #7,311
haushofer said:
The battle on the interpretation of quantum mechanics here on PhysicsForums, lasting many years already.
I was thinking about a question suitable for Academic or Career Guidance, as in . . .

"How can I become a quantum mechanic interpreter?" or

"What does it take to be become a quantum mechanic interpreter?"

"The world needs (more) quantum mechanics interpreters?"

• #7,312
Keith_McClary said:
Reminds me of the ministry for silly walks somehow.

• #7,313
Does anyone know how to get rid of the permanent weather feed the last update of Windows 10 pinned to my taskbar? I mean, we are on day one after a heatwave, and that stupid weather feed says ##18°\text{C}## (it is ##21°##) and ... drum roll ... "snowy rain"!? Strange synonym for "cloudy".

• #7,314
fresh_42 said:
Does anyone know how to get rid of the permanent weather feed the last update of Windows 10 pinned to my taskbar? I mean, we are on day one after a heatwave, and that stupid weather feed says ##18°\text{C}## (it is ##21°##) and ... drum roll ... "snowy rain"!? Strange synonym for "cloudy".
Right click on the taskbar and select Turn Off in the News and Interests section.

RemoveWeatherFeed.jpg
Microsoft has been getting out of hand with these so-called "security updates" that are really security holes.

Likes fresh_42
  • #7,315
Thanks.

Likes Borg