What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,698
WWGD said:
Ive been doing my labs for a while now.
I sure hope everything comes out alright. :wink:

• Haha
Likes strangerep and WWGD
  • #9,699
Mandatory Summer song:

• Love
Likes OmCheeto and Oldman too
  • #9,700
WWGD said:
Mandatory Summer song:

I don't exactly like this song. It is part of my childhood so I have affection for it.
It has has been used in commercials and that is one way to sully an old song. I think it has diminished it over the years when I hear it now.
Agree though, quirky summer song.

Likes WWGD
  • #9,703
In terms of Summer, this was released the week I started high school

• #9,704
Everyone has talking about 1976 recently because the just UK broke a few records for temperatures.

It was a great summer, I probably got burnt but mum was not aware of malignant melanoma/UV radiation and such!
We went swimming every day.

I remember some of these on the radio that year.

Silly love songs wings
Blinded by the light MM Earth's band
Haitian Divorce Dan
Afternoon Delight Starland Vocal band
Oh What a night Four Seasons
Living thing ELO

Likes Astronuc and Oldman too
  • #9,705
pinball1970 said:
Blinded by the light MM Earth's band
Possibly my favorite song from that era, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinded_by_the_Light Bruce may have written and debuted it, but M.M. made it shine.
As for Albums, Pink Floyd's Animals really stands out in my memory.

Likes WWGD
  • #9,706
Damage control: Just realized I wrote a email to someone I don't know too well, in a keyboard (not i my PC) missing the letter n. And it included the word line , that ended as up 'lie'.

• Wow
Likes Oldman too
  • #9,707
OCR said:
There are different angles to this. One I was going for was the ( hopefully; more so given recent events --Covid, Ukraine, Political Hostility)carefree aspect from Summer.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #9,708
pinball1970 said:
Everyone has talking about 1976 recently because the just UK broke a few records for temperatures.

It was a great summer, I probably got burnt but mum was not aware of malignant melanoma/UV radiation and such!
We went swimming every day.
I worked as a plumber and maintenance person (overhauled pumps, motors, blowers, compressors and A/C systems) and earned enough to pay for a year of university including room and board.

As for music some good albums:

Bad Company, Run with the Pack, January 1976
Genesis, A Trick of the Tail, January 1976
Return to Forever, Romantic Warrior, February 1976
Led Zeppelin, Presence, March 1976
Rush, 2112, April 1976
Firefall, Firefall, April 1976
Jeff Beck, Wired, May 1976
Blue Öyster Cult, Agents of Fortune, May 21, 1976
Jefferson Starship, Spitfire, June 1976
Little River Band, Little River Band, September 1976
Robin Trower, Long Misty Days, October 1976
Triumph, Triumph, October 1976
Kansas, Leftoverture, October 1976
Al Di Meola, Land of the Midnight Sun, October 1976

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,710
<rant>I built a really awesome piece of software for my company that multiple teams are being introduced to. Unfortunately, I can never get people to stop asking questions long enough to be able to demonstrate the things that would answer all of their questions. I understand - you're an engineer and you're smart. Just shut up and listen for two lousy seconds...</rant>

• Haha
Likes Astronuc
  • #9,711
Weird how so many in other sites attribute this magical power to IP addresses , and dynamic ones at that. " Can I travel back in time if I know so-and-so's IP address"?

• #9,712
Borg said:
<rant>I built a really awesome piece of software for my company that multiple teams are being introduced to. Unfortunately, I can never get people to stop asking questions long enough to be able to demonstrate the things that would answer all of their questions. I understand - you're an engineer and you're smart. Just shut up and listen for two lousy seconds...</rant>
[Serious...] That's why I used to make really strong efforts to write comprehensive technical manual(s) for my software. It forces people to read ( carefully) and they can't easily interrupt.

If something's still unclear/unanswered after they've RTFM'ed, then I'd get them to send me an email or PR about it (forcing them to articulate their problem clearly). Then I'd answer/clarify by improving/extending the relevant parts of the manual.

I also composed a written tutorial so they could work through it themselves, trying out many features of the software. That was reasonably successful, provided people were explicitly ordered by their boss to devote the necessary 2-3 days to work through the tutorial thoroughly. Again, if questions arose, I'd use the email + improve-manual technique to address them.

HTH.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
  • #9,713
WWGD said:
Weird how so many in other sites attribute this magical power to IP addresses , and dynamic ones at that. " Can I travel back in time if I know so-and-so's IP address"?
Huh? :oldconfused:

• #9,714
strangerep said:
Huh? :oldconfused:
I mean, people asking if someone can find their physical address and hurt them, steal their money, etc., if someone finds out their ( Dynamic) IP address.

• #9,715
Astronuc said:
Estonia's prime minister has a message for the West: 'Don't worry about Putin's feelings'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/estonias...nt-worry-about-putins-feelings-223606146.html
Could display such resolve when Russian fighters are invading Estonian / Finnish airspace and take them out like Turkey did. Moscow understands now they can't play this game with Turkey, but us or the Finns? No problem, keep prodding.

• #9,716
Always wondered about the transition point between wakefulness and sleep. Is it continuous or discreet?

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,717
WWGD said:
Always wondered about the transition point between wakefulness and sleep. Is it continuous or discreet?
I've definitely had "half-awake" experiences. I once was falling asleep and suddenly explained to my wife what a menu was. When she asked why I was telling her this I woke up properly and genuinely had no idea why I'd started telling her something that (a) she already knew and (b) was a complete non sequitur. It had made complete sense when I started speaking.

I think partial waking is also one of the mundane explanations for "aliens abducted me from my bedroom" experiences. You aren't precisely dreaming and it seems very real, especially if sleep paralysis doesn't disengage and you really are unable to move, but it's actually all your brain.

(Edit: minor changes. The genuine reason was that there were genuinely too many uses of the word genuinely in that post.)

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and pinball1970
  • #9,718
strangerep said:
[Serious...] That's why I used to make really strong efforts to write comprehensive technical manual(s) for my software. It forces people to read ( carefully) and they can't easily interrupt.
I created 5 very detailed Jupyter Notebooks that describe how to use and interact with the software. During the demos, I focus on major concepts, review the first "Quickstart" tutorial to cover the basics and then proceed to the fourth tutorial that shows the most advanced features. The quickstart tutorial starts giving them ideas w.r.t. their own software. I then start hearing things like "That's really cool but what I really need is..." along with a detailed description of their project. The interruptions cause the demo to run past the alloted time and when I can finally get back to the demo, time runs out. Then, everyone is hyper-focused on the fact that we're over the alloted time. They never get a complete picture of just how powerful the software is and how it would meet their needs if they would just shut up and listen.

It's pretty frustrating after having this happen several times already. I really don't need to hear about their project's 'needs' because I thought about all of those things for over a year before I started building it. Nobody has yet described a 'need' that isn't already covered by the software and usually covered in the fourth tutorial. For the next demo, I'm am going to insist on not being interrupted for at least a half hour so that I can actually finish it for once. Then when time runs out on them, I can be the one to tell them that I have to leave because we're out of time.

Last edited:
  • #9,719
Ibix said:
I've definitely had "half-awake" experiences. I once was falling asleep and suddenly explained to my wife what a menu was. When she asked why I was telling her this I woke up properly and genuinely had no idea why I'd started telling her something that (a) she already knew and (b) was a complete non sequitur. It had made complete sense when I started speaking.

I think partial waking is also one of the mundane explanations for "aliens abducted me from my bedroom" experiences. You aren't precisely dreaming and it seems very real, but it genuinely did happen entirely in your head. Especially if sleep paralysis doesn't disengage, so you genuinely are unable to move.
It is a weird feeling, dreaming whilst you are half awake. I can only do it on a Sunday morning. Wake 5.30am or so listen to some music with headphones and drop off again but much more prone to dreaming in that half awake state.

• #9,720
Likes WWGD and Ibix
  • #9,721
Borg said:
For the next demo, I'm am going to insist on not being interrupted for at least a half hour so that I can actually finish it for once. Then when time runs out on them, I can be the one to tell them that I have to leave because we're out of time.

Sounds good. Keep the phrase, "Please, save the questions for the end of the demo. We'll get to that before we're finished," in your back pocket. Don't be afraid to use it. Even if it feels rude saying it, it's actually not. Individuals in your audience have surely encountered someone saying it before. After a couple times, they'll get the hint. The bulk of your audience will probably appreciate it too, because, deep down, they don't appreciate the distractions either.

Likes Ibix and Borg
  • #9,722
pinball1970 said:
It is a weird feeling, dreaming whilst you are half awake. I can only do it on a Sunday morning. Wake 5.30am or so listen to some music with headphones and drop off again but much more prone to dreaming in that half awake state.
I think the dynamics are that, given your vulnerable while sleeping, your mind has to assess whether you're safe-enough to settle into sleep, to stop all awareness of external stimuli, which puts you at risk by lowering your guard.

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,723
WWGD said:
I think the dynamics are that, given your vulnerable while sleeping, your mind has to assess whether you're safe-enough to settle into sleep, to stop all awareness of external stimuli, which puts you at risk by lowering your guard.
Yep. Don't fall off the tree. Some of us still sleep there.

• #9,724
I just watched the final of today's stage in the women's Tour de France on youtube. The comment was in German but I had the speakers turned off. However, I watched it with English subtitles. For no specific reason, it was just the given settings and I didn't change them. Could it be, could it really be that I have just read "saublöd" in the middle of an otherwise English text? Umlaut included? And could it further be that on my search for the correct English word for Umlaut on Wikipedia, I ended up with umlaut? Really? No Latin word for it?

• #9,725
Diaeresis. Although most people would say umlaut, probably because German is the only language I know of that uses it (well, Russian has ë, but IIRC that's considered a separate letter from e, rather than a e with a modifier).

• #9,726
Ibix said:
probably because German is the only language I know of that uses it
...and Spanish, although in a different way. And it's fairly rare.

• #9,727
Ibix said:
Diaeresis. Although most people would say umlaut, probably because German is the only language I know of that uses it (well, Russian has ë, but IIRC that's considered a separate letter from e, rather than a e with a modifier).
If I'm right, then the Danish Smørrebrød is pronounced Smörrebröd, which by the way is the Swedish spelling! Yes, Russian distinguishes between ё and e, and moreover has ю which sounds similar in some words. And what is the ë in French Noël?

• #9,728
fresh_42 said:
And what is the ë in French Noël?
Good point. I think it just means an exception to the pronunciation rules there: you don't merge the vowel sounds. It has a similar function in Spanish.

So apart from Spanish, French, Russian and heavy metal, only German uses the umlaut. So we call it an umlaut.

• #9,729
Ibix said:
Good point. I think it just means an exception to the pronunciation rules there: you don't merge the vowel sounds. It has a similar function in Spanish.

So apart from Spanish, French, Russian and heavy metal, only German uses the umlaut. So we call it an umlaut.
Don't forget Swedish. Lemmy could have been in a Swedish Heavy Metal band if it wasn't an English.

• #9,730
I'm beginning to feel like the Spanish Inquisition here. "Among the languages that use an umlaut are..."