What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,536
My sister has a condo in Washington DC she is putting up for sale.
It is by Dupont Circle and near the National Zoo.

Part of her description is:
"... and you can hear the lions at the zoo roar at feeding time!"

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Rive and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,537
gmax137 said:
The important thing is the ratio.
That's possible for theorists, but I fail at ##\sqrt{2}## many eggs. The eggs : flour ratio was the main reason I looked it up. Too many eggs and it becomes a German pancake, too much flour and it tastes like a wallpaper.

Last edited:
  • #10,538
fresh_42 said:
Too many eggs and it becomes a German pancake, too much flour and it tastes like a wallpaper.
Even Grandma didn't get it right the first time.

• #10,539
gmax137 said:
Even Grandma didn't get it right the first time.
Yes, but I'm competing against the industrial mixture which is pretty good - and relatively expensive. And I want a second option.

• #10,540
CNN titled a story: "The migrants' way to America!"

That's embarrassing ("fremdschämen"). And it makes me angry since it reveals so much about the attitude of US citizens.

• #10,541
gmax137 said:
Grandma should have shown you what it looks like when it is right.
... There are those 'grandma style' old cookbooks in most household: browned edges, many (likely high nutrient o0)) stains on every page, half pages are notes, the others are also about leaving the binding....

jam-page-from-old-cookbook.jpg

... if you ever tried to actually cook anything from them, you'll notice that those differences about national cooking units are just the most minor inconveniences: during that 50-100 years what these books stretch across not just the preferred units changed every twenty years, but the ingredients themselves and their naming too:doh:

... actually, I suspect that many 'new' recipes born through trying to making sense to those old recipes again🤣

Likes Astronuc and gmax137
  • #10,542
When you export a WhatsApp chat to, say a folder on your Google Drive, you get a text file plus a lot of media files.

It would have been an easy job for the developers to create an HTML file instead, with IMG tags that would populate all the images into the right places. That would have been such a superior user experience.

• #10,543
I'm following the chess world championship - and Crucible, of course - and learned a new English word today: 'Zwischenzug'. Funny.

• #10,544
Six days ago marked the sixty-year anniversary of the loss of the SSN-593 Thresher.

• #10,545
Astronuc said:
Six days ago marked the sixty-year anniversary of the loss of the SSN-593 Thresher.
Thanks, @Astronuc that's a good video. The loss of the submarine is one of the first memories I have of seeing news on TV (my parent's small flickering black & white set). I remember the report (Cronkite? Huntley-Brinkley?) saying the sub was "a city block long" and asking my father what that meant.

Likes berkeman
  • #10,546
fresh_42 said:
I was looking up a recipe for pancake dough. Not so much for the ingredients but for the quantities. I was prepared for the horrible, horrible, completely crazy American recipe units. I surely hate them, and it is nuts. But anyway, I was prepared for "cups".

Next step. It shouldn't be too complicated nowadays to find a website for translating cups to metric. Here is what I found:

View attachment 324933

:headbang::devil::headbang::devil::headbang::devil:Why can't you go metric like any sane person in the world? Don't be afraid, it doesn't come with bare breasts or in rainbows!

They forgot to include a Whisper of Cinnamon and a pinch of honey. ;)

• #10,547
I thought a YT video on sounds of the rainforest would help me sleep, relax. Instead, I feel like peeing every 10 minutes.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
  • #10,548
WWGD said:
I thought a YT video on sounds of the rainforest would help me sleep, relax. Instead, I feel like peeing every 10 minutes.
Try techno. Or Kylie's "I can't get you out of my mind" on an endless loop. I prefer techno, the less melody the better, just the beats. It is like counting sheep but letting count someone else. I have an app on my phone that let me choose among a dozen of channels and has a programmable "fall asleep" countdown mode.

• #10,549
  • #10,550
fresh_42 said:
Try techno. Or Kylie's "I can't get you out of my mind" on an endless loop. I prefer techno, the less melody the better, just the beats. It is like counting sheep but letting count someone else. I have an app on my phone that let me choose among a dozen of channels and has a programmable "fall asleep" countdown mode.
You use an app for a nap?

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,551
WWGD said:
Yep.

More than one:
- Rock radio (multiple channels)
- electronic music (multiple channels)
- audios that read me the news (multiple channels)
- audios that read me Wikipedia articles
- audios that read me astronomical data
- and a classical music channel

• #10,552
Wow, several companies have emailed me, asking me to fill a survey for them. After I've ignored them, I received very aggressive emails almost demanding I take the survey asap. No, I replied. Pay me, and I'll take it, unless you're a non-profit. The nerve, as if I owed them anything.

Likes fresh_42
  • #10,553
Dang. In a tornado watch until 11:00 pm. Glad I have a storm shelter.
storm shelter.jpg

Likes collinsmark
  • #10,554
dlgoff said:
Yikes, stay safe! Do you have some sort of Doppler wind alarm device or something that lets you know when to dive into the shelter?

Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
  • #10,555
berkeman said:
Yikes, stay safe! Do you have some sort of Doppler wind alarm device or something that lets you know when to dive into the shelter?
I have a weather radio here in the house. The town, a mile or so away, has a tornado siren that can be heard inside my house.

• Care
Likes pinball1970, Astronuc and berkeman
  • #10,556

Man, 109, who still drives his car every day has simple tips for long life​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-109-still-drives-car-203838450.html

At 109 years old, Vincent Dransfield still zips around town in his car every day, buying lunch, running errands and shopping for groceries.

He lives independently in his own house in Little Falls, New Jersey, where he has resided since 1945.

The centenarian requires no help navigating between the home’s main floor, his bedroom upstairs and the basement where he does his laundry, his family says.
. . .

Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
  • #10,557
dlgoff said:
Just remember, the shelter does you no good unless you are in it at the important time. Maybe it's possible to hook up a WiFi repeater in there so you can be safe and still surf the net.

Heh heh. Recalling working on the safety report of a nuclear reactor. It got to the part about traffic accidents on the nearby driving surfaces, parking lot, delivery area, etc. The entire analysis consisted of: See the section about flying gas trucks due to tornadoes. Since the station was qualified to survive the impact of a flying gas truck it was considered qualified against any credible traffic accidents.

• #10,558
Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, BillTre and 2 others
  • #10,559
Some emigrants to English are just funny.

I learned "Zwischenzug" from following the current chess world championship, and now I have found: "Trockenbeerenauslese". Forget about Kindergarten. There are apparently much funnier words. Even one with an "ö", and no, it's not Motörhead. It's "trögerite", "ö" inclusive.

• #10,560
I just drove down my drive to the mailbox and there was a Box Turtle crossing the drive. I stopped and moved it off the road so other autos wouldn't run over it. They are considered endangered species around here.

• Love
Likes collinsmark, BillTre, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #10,561
berkeman said:
Was it qualified to survive the BLEVE from the gas truck catching fire and burning for a bit (then exploding)?

I Bleve it was.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #10,562
WWGD said:

_nc_ohc=rwSzFPxSGqYAX--kf4F&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.jpg

Likes BillTre
  • #10,563
I understand Alan McManus quite well, and John Higgins not at all. Can someone explain this to me? I looked it up, their birth places are only 23km apart.

• #10,565
I can't believe it's almost May and here in Kansas the temperature is 48°F.

edit: now it's the evening and it's 44°F.

Last edited:
  • #10,566
Science is exciting. I just learned that the amount of melting permafrost can be determined by the lack of ##{}^{129\,}\mathrm I## in water. The gauge year is 1950. Heck, we polluted everything.

Likes BillTre
  • #10,568
A glimpse into the near future?

He’s the first conversational holographic being — powered by ChatGPT
https://lookingglassfactory.com//uncle-rabbit

A really cool short demo clip on that page, where the rabbit completes the lyrics of a song.

Who would have thought SkyNet would start gathering info about humans in the form of rabbits instead of robots? 🙂
SkyNet is clever, very clever. We've got to prepare; time to start buying weapons and store them at various strategic locations. :smile:

Likes BillTre and Borg
  • #10,569
Not sure if I like or hate " Lemon Swayze". It changes each time I listen to it.

• #10,570
WWGD said:
YT spaceship engine noises. Or, any B&W TV series playlist.
Astronuc said:
Man, 109, who still drives his car every day has simple tips for long life
Mostly, be the old guy driving the car, not the pedestrian crossing in front of it.