What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,816
Wow,
NOT A JOKE:
A random , not so great event. I'm minding my business walking through a parking lot, and this 12-15 year old gets out of a car, starts shouting at me, threatening to beat me up. I ignore him at first, but he keeps coming at me, threatening me further. I rush towards a fast food place , while he comes in, still shouting, inviting me to fight. While inside, I ask him to throw the first punch, after which I said I'd kill him. I just want to make sure if a fight has to happen, that witnesses are available to testify of the other party starting the fight, throwing the first punch.

He ultimately left, his mom( I didnt know she , anyone else, was in the car)coming after him. It took me like 10 minutes to get it together.

I'm together enough to understand that any police record will essentially ruin any good thing that may happen in my future.

Phew!!!

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,817
WWGD said:
this 12-15 year old gets out of a car, starts shouting at me, threatening to beat me up. I ignore him at first, but he keeps coming at me, threatening me further. I rush towards a fast food place , while he comes in, still shouting, inviting me to fight. While inside, I ask him to throw the first punch, after which I said I'd kill him.
I'm very glad that you are okay. You did the right thing trying to get away, and especially get away to a neutral public place with witnesses and hopefully cameras running. I don't recommend threatening to kill him as part of defending yourself, though. That won't diffuse the situation in most circumstances.

Crazies sometimes carry guns and don't give a crap about using them. So even if you are legally CCW or exposed carry, they can still beat you to the draw and get the first shot in. Not good.

A better strategy IMO (easy for me to say from my couch) is to call 911 and ask others in the place to also call 911 and take pictures and video of your assailant. That should hopefully do a better job of detering further aggression by them, and will at least get emergency services headed your way.

WWGD said:
He ultimately left, his mom( I didnt know she , anyone else, was in the car)coming after him.
That's a good time to keep taking pictures, especially of their vehicles and license plates. It soulds like this juvenille had some issues going on (maybe delerium or schizophrenia, which he is in the right age group for), and it would be best if law enforcement and mental health services could contact him and his mom.

Likes BillTre and WWGD
  • #10,818
Just mov
berkeman said:
I'm very glad that you are okay. You did the right thing trying to get away, and especially get away to a neutral public place with witnesses and hopefully cameras running. I don't recommend threatening to kill him as part of defending yourself, though. That won't diffuse the situation in most circumstances.

Crazies sometimes carry guns and don't give a crap about using them. So even if you are legally CCW or exposed carry, they can still beat you to the draw and get the first shot in. Not good.

A better strategy IMO (ease for me to say from my couch) is to call 911 and ask others in the place to also call 911 and take pictures and video of your assailant. That should hopefully do a better job of detering further aggression by them, and will at least get emergency services headed your way.That's a good time to keep taking pictures, especially of their vehicles and license plates. It soulds like this juvenille had some issues going on (maybe delerium or schizophrenia, which he is in the right age group for), and it would be best if law enforcement and mental health services could contact him and his mom.
Yes, it was my reptilian brain in fight-flight mode.

Fortunately, a minimally-rational " angel", reminded me that if I have a criminal record, I'll have a steep climb in getting back to normalcy, let alone thriving.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #10,819
WWGD said:
That's never happened to me. Nope. Never. :wink:

Likes WWGD
  • #10,820
WWGD said:
Just mov

Fortunately, a minimally-rational " angel", reminded me that if I have a criminal record, I'll have a steep climb in getting back to normalcy, let alone thriving.

My preferred strategy for such situations is language. I can talk in a language that those people can barely follow. And the more aggressive they get, the more elaborated is my language. The plan is to pull the battle on my ground, not theirs. Maybe German is especially suited for such a strategy. We can build really complicated long sentences with really rarely-used words. And it is so much more satisfying than simply saying "Shut up, idiot". I like the desperation in their eyes when they try to follow my words.

Likes WWGD
  • #10,821
fresh_42 said:
My preferred strategy for such situations is language. I can talk in a language that those people can barely follow. And the more aggressive they get, the more elaborated is my language. The plan is to pull the battle on my ground, not theirs. Maybe German is especially suited for such a strategy. We can build really complicated long sentences with really rarely-used words. And it is so much more satisfying than simply saying "Shut up, idiot". I like the desperation in their eyes when they try to follow my words.
Agreed. I was in tunnel-vision mode. Rest of the world faded away.

Likes fresh_42
  • #10,822
WWGD said:
Agreed. I was in tunnel-vision mode. Rest of the world faded away.
I know what you mean. F63.

• #10,823
fresh_42 said:
I know what you mean. F63.
F63. Chess through RT?

• #10,824
WWGD said:
F63. Chess through RT?
No. ICD-10 code for impulse control disorder. In case you need an excuse. :cool:

Likes WWGD
  • #10,825
How about they tell me they're closing in 15 minutes _ before_ I order my drink/food? Not _after_ I've sat down with it.

• #10,826
WWGD said:
How about they tell me they're closing in 15 minutes _ before_ I order my drink/food? Not after I've sat down with it.
This is similar to annoying me by telling me to wait at the MacDonald's Drive-Through when I order a Fish-Mac. Can't they say this beforehand? I mean, if I wanted to wait, I would have gone for real food somewhere else!

Likes WWGD
  • #10,827
Though unless the place has takeout, that means the last 15-20 minutes of the shift are dead. Or maybe used to close down.

• #10,828
WWGD said:
Though unless the place has takeout, that means the last 15-20 minutes of the shift are dead. Or maybe used to close down.
Hawaii shift: "Get out but leave your money!"

• #10,829
Important Public Service Announcement (PSA):

When you need to break into your vehicle to save your baby from the heat (after you mistakenly locked them in the vehicle), it's best to break a side window instead of trying to break the front windshield. The windshield is highly reinforced, so what takes dozens of blows to break the windshield, takes only one to break the side window. FYI, dad. :oldeyes:

1691784502610.png

https://nypost.com/2023/07/24/texas-father-smashes-windshield-to-save-baby-from-hot-car/

Likes WWGD and BillTre
  • #10,830
Would be great if a digital version of ( analog) phones existed. What do you do if your phone breaks down or get lost away from home?

• #10,831
berkeman said:
Important Public Service Announcement (PSA):

When you need to break into your vehicle to save your baby from the heat (after you mistakenly locked them in the vehicle), it's best to break a side window instead of trying to break the front windshield. The windshield is highly reinforced, so what takes dozens of blows to break the windshield, takes only one to break the side window. FYI, dad. :oldeyes:

View attachment 330407
https://nypost.com/2023/07/24/texas-father-smashes-windshield-to-save-baby-from-hot-car/
Using what, a crowbar?

• #10,832
WWGD said:
Would be great if a digital version of ( analog) phones existed. What do you do if your phone breaks down or get lost away from home?
Do you mean like this?

RotaryCell1.jpg

• Haha
Likes BillTre, WWGD and fresh_42
  • #10,833
WWGD said:
Using what, a crowbar?
You can use a center punch, but it is dangerous as your hand can go through the window and cut yourself. (The idea is to be very close to the corner so your hand is stopped by the window frame):

There are special tools for this, using a spring-loaded punch, such that you don't need to push on the window:

Of course, you can count on thieves to find a better homemade tool, using a spark plug:

And then there are the pros, only using their fingers!:

Likes WWGD
  • #10,834
jack action said:
Do you mean like this?

Somehow reminds me of this ...rotary emergency phone where I worked.

• #10,835
Is there a subforum for Math Songs? We could include " Smooth Operator", which, btw, was renamed from " C^oo Map between Topological Vector Spaces"

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
  • #10,837
Mixed up on how to access the meta data of the original pic sent to me :date taken, file name, dimensions, info about camera, etc. Once downloaded , which I need to do to access the metadata, I only get the date when I downloaded it, not when it was taken. Maybe @Wrichik Basu can suggest something?

• #10,838
WWGD said:
Mixed up on how to access the meta data of the original pic sent to me :date taken, file name, dimensions, info about camera, etc. Once downloaded , which I need to do to access the metadata, I only get the date when I downloaded it, not when it was taken. Maybe @Wrichik Basu can suggest something?
Is this on PC or mobile? Which OS?

• #10,839
Wrichik Basu said:
Is this on PC or mobile? Which OS?
Sorry, on Android mobile.

• #10,840
Futility: right now I'm measuring DC voltages with an 500MHz oscilloscope.

Do
Not
Ask.

• #10,841
"Gumperson's Law: Murphy was incredibly optimistic."

Likes fresh_42
  • #10,842
Oftened wondered regarding the phrase " To thine own self be true". Why not just " Be true". Not sure if it implies it's OK to not be true to others.

• #10,843
WWGD said:
Sorry, on Android mobile.
The metadata can definitely be viewed, but if your default file manager or image viewer does not show the data, unfortunately you cannot do anything besides look for some other app. I have a photo editor app installed that displays the entire exif data of images. Not sure if it is available in your country, but here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor

Likes WWGD
  • #10,844
Wrichik Basu said:
The metadata can definitely be viewed, but if your default file manager or image viewer does not show the data, unfortunately you cannot do anything besides look for some other app. I have a photo editor app installed that displays the entire exif data of images. Not sure if it is available in your country, but here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor
Excellent, thank you.

Likes Wrichik Basu
  • #10,845
Apparently an SB degree is not a BS degree given to dyslexic students.

• #10,846
My favorite Arab-sounding name: Redeem.

• #10,847
If a much younger, attractive lady colleague, invites herself on a gentleman's evening out at work (she overheard) greet the idea with immediate enthusiasm.

If she works in a different office just say no, it's fine.

• #10,848
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 12.28.16 PM.png

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark and WWGD
  • #10,849
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #10,850
pinball1970 said:
If a much younger, attractive lady colleague, invites herself on a gentleman's evening out at work (she overheard) greet the idea with immediate enthusiasm.

If she works in a different office just say no, it's fine.
Or pass the bill to her.

Likes pinball1970