What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
So, there's this show called, "Dark Woods Justice," which follows real game wardens in the Pacific Northwest. They had a couple episodes about tree poachers. I'd never heard of tree poaching, but apparently it can be very lucrative. They have a particular maple tree that grows wild up there with very beautiful wood that is prized for certain guitars. This is the tree most poachers are after because one tree can net them $10,000 on average. They sneak way into the wilderness on public land, cut the trees down, and haul the wood out in pieces, and sell it on the black market. I thought the show was very interesting and, if I went into poaching, I think tree poaching would be the easiest kind: they're extremely easy to sneak up on and subdue.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
So, there's this show called, "Dark Woods Justice," which follows real game wardens in the Pacific Northwest. They had a couple episodes about tree poachers. I'd never heard of tree poaching, but apparently it can be very lucrative. They have a particular maple tree that grows wild up there with very beautiful wood that is prized for certain guitars. This is the tree most poachers are after because one tree can net them $10,000 on average. They sneak way into the wilderness on public land, cut the trees down, and haul the wood out in pieces, and sell it on the black market. I thought the show was very interesting and, if I went into poaching, I think tree poaching would be the easiest kind: they're extremely easy to sneak up on and subdue.
How awful! It makes me so sad when someone cuts trees!

—-------------

@Psinter today I think of you because you said it's so hot in your area all the time. We have 33C (91.4F) today and it is considered so serious that it was in the main News and there's a meteorological warning for some areas. They already recommend safety precautions in the news.
Now you must laugh at us the same way we laugh at areas who consider 10cm of snow a calamity :-)

Likes fresh_42 and Pepper Mint
Ohm is back! :partytime: I see Ohm in online member list. I hope it's not someone else who is sharing Ohm's account on PF. :oldbiggrin:

zoobyshoe said:
This would be a personal emergency still, to be employed in the event of an earthquake. It would be powered by whatever was around that would burn; most likely wood.
I was going to tell you to use solar panels for the source of energy and a heating element to boil the water, but from my knowledge of current electronic elements in the market, the amount of wattage you will need to raise temperature over 100°C to cover an area big enough for even a small container of water (6 inches diameter) would make it too expensive. You would need at minimum 100W in solar panels. And that's expensive for the purpose. With that money you simply buy an ordinary survival fire distiller.

With the solar panel it would cost just a little less than a survival fire distiller. Just a little and depending on your choice of sellers, parts, and available tools, it may end up costing more than buying the distiller.

So yeah, I guess fire is less expensive and more effective.
Sophia said:
How awful! It makes me so sad when someone cuts trees!

—-------------

@Psinter today I think of you because you said it's so hot in your area all the time. We have 33C (91.4F) today and it is considered so serious that it was in the main News and there's a meteorological warning for some areas. They already recommend safety precautions in the news.
Now you must laugh at us the same way we laugh at areas who consider 10cm of snow a calamity :-)
Ah don't worry. I recognize that the said temperature is hot. If the people of the area are not used to it, it is dangerous for them so I don't laugh at them. It may be normal for me, but for them, maybe they are not feeling well.

Wait, you get to see snow at your place sometimes? Yay, snow! I still haven't seen snow ever. The most I saw, and it was a super rarity, was that once at night, some rain fell mixed with small ice chunks. And that was only once. It was very rare. I went outside and stretched my hand to feel it and when one fell in my hand I was like: "Look! Dad! I caught one! I caught one! IT'S ICE! From the sky! Stretch your hand so you can catch one too before it stops!" I was so happy and playful.

Going back to topic, maybe you will find guys like this because of the temperature: (They would be like: "How's it going Sophie, it's hot outside today") (◠‿◠)
maxresdefault.jpg

Likes Pepper Mint and Sophia
Psinter said:
IWait, you get to see snow at your place sometimes? Yay, snow! I still haven't seen snow ever. The most I saw, and it was a super rarity, was that once at night, some rain fell mixed with small ice chunks. And that was only once. It was very rare. I went outside and stretched my hand to feel it and when one fell in my hand I was like: "Look! Dad! I caught one! I caught one! IT'S ICE! From the sky! Stretch your hand so you can catch one too before it stops!" I was so happy and playful.

Going back to topic, maybe you will find guys like this because of the temperature: (They would be like: "How's it going Sophie, it's hot outside today") (◠‿◠)
maxresdefault.jpg

Hahaha your remark about starting a conversation made me laugh! :))) It's true that I saw a couple of shirtless guys today. But they probably don't go to gym often. Or less than the guy in the picture :)
I like your description of catching a piece of ice! It must have been quite an experience.
We do get snow but much less often compared to my childhood. We would go sleighing all the winter. Often, our small river froze and we walked and slid on ice. Some winters, even small artificial waterfalls froze and we climbed on them as if they were hills :) I wouldn't dare to do so today, but I was young then, must have been younger than 10- 11 and didn't see the danger of it.
Maybe I'll send you some snow in one of those portable fridges in the winter :) It'll be my Christmas present for you :)

Likes Psinter
It is ridiculously hot here. I was preparing dinner and my six year old son came into the kitchen wearing just shorts, with a crown and red cape from his king costume. Without thinking, I bellowed "This! Is! Spartaaaaaa!"

He thought it was hilarious.

It is possible I will live to regret this.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Psinter, Sophia and 1 other person
Ibix said:
It is ridiculously hot here. I was preparing dinner and my six year old son came into the kitchen wearing just shorts, with a crown and red cape from his king costume. Without thinking, I bellowed "This! Is! Spartaaaaaa!"

You better hope he won't establish spartan legislation and other aspects of the spartan society! :smile:

Sophia said:
Hahaha your remark about starting a conversation made me laugh! :))) It's true that I saw a couple of shirtless guys today. But they probably don't go to gym often. Or less than the guy in the picture :)
I like your description of catching a piece of ice! It must have been quite an experience.
We do get snow but much less often compared to my childhood. We would go sleighing all the winter. Often, our small river froze and we walked and slid on ice. Some winters, even small artificial waterfalls froze and we climbed on them as if they were hills :) I wouldn't dare to do so today, but I was young then, must have been younger than 10- 11 and didn't see the danger of it.
Maybe I'll send you some snow in one of those portable fridges in the winter :) It'll be my Christmas present for you :)
The river freezing actually sounds very cool. That must have been enjoyable. And the waterfalls too! It sounds like a lot of fun. :partytime:
Ibix said:

Hahaha! That sounds funny.

Sophia said:
We do get snow but much less often compared to my childhood. We would go sleighing all the winter. Often, our small river froze and we walked and slid on ice. Some winters, even small artificial waterfalls froze and we climbed on them as if they were hills :)

I am longing for such a scenario. 300° (here and now) are definitely 40° too many.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
fresh_42 said:
I am longing for such a scenario. 300° (here and now) are definitely 40° too many.
You're so right! When it's cold, you only have to put on more clothes and you are fine. But when it's hot and you are (almost) naked, there's not much you can do. You can have an ice-cream or cold drink, but that won't last for long:wink: I wish we had air-condition both at home and at work!

Likes fresh_42
Sophia said:
You're so right! When it's cold, you only have to put on more clothes and you are fine. But when it's hot and you are (almost) naked, there's not much you can do. You can have an ice-cream or cold drink, but that won't last for long:wink: I wish we had air-condition both at home and at work!
You are right. I also like winter. I remember I once slipped on an icy ground due to previous night's snow fall while waiting at the traffic lights to cross the street. No one cared how perfect my slip was when I was almost lying on the ground though. To most of them it seemed probably common or it was their common sense not to laugh when witnessing people's miseries. hehe :biggrin:
I like having an ice cream while strolling downtown with my friends in hot summer nights.

Likes Sophia
Every once in a while I am reminded that I still haven't seen every form of stupidity. I was leaving a grocery store when a man drove his car to the front of the store, opened his trunk and removed a small animal trap with a squirrel in it. Then, within 10 feet of the doors with lots of people coming and going, he actually released it right there. The squirrel was so terrified that it didn't know where it was going and could have easily run directly into the store where the results would have been completely chaotic. I'll never understand what some people are thinking. :oldconfused:

Borg said:
Every once in a while I am reminded that I still haven't seen every form of stupidity. I was leaving a grocery store when a man drove his car to the front of the store, opened his trunk and removed a small animal trap with a squirrel in it. Then, within 10 feet of the doors with lots of people coming and going, he actually released it right there. The squirrel was so terrified that it didn't know where it was going and could have easily run directly into the store where the results would have been completely chaotic. I'll never understand what some people are thinking. :oldconfused:
Haha maybe he wants to revenge to the store for something they've done to him. But in that case, rats or mice would have been a better choice :-)

Sophia said:
Haha maybe he wants to revenge to the store for something they've done to him. But in that case, rats or mice would have been a better choice :-)
I'll make sure not to get on your bad side. :wideeyed:

It's a brand new complex and the store has only been open for less then two months. I can't imagine what the store could have done in the short time that it has been open.

Likes Sophia
Maybe they sold him a faulty squirrel?

It does sound like there's a back story there somewhere. Why would the front of a shop seem like a sensible place to release a squirrel, regardless?

Ibix said:
Maybe they sold him a faulty squirrel?

It does sound like there's a back story there somewhere. Why would the front of a shop seem like a sensible place to release a squirrel, regardless?
If it was faulty, he could have taken it to customer service. :oldtongue:

I can't think of any reason to do that other than stupidity or malice.

Likes Pepper Mint and fresh_42
Borg said:
I'll make sure not to get on your bad side. :wideeyed:

It's a brand new complex and the store has only been open for less then two months. I can't imagine what the store could have done in the short time that it has been open.
This association was caused by the fact that out of curiosity, I was recently reading a modern pagan forum where someone was asking about various kinds of revenge spells :-D

Thinking about the back story would be a great topic for some kind of creative writing competition!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Borg
Borg said:
I'll never understand what some people are thinking.
Don't try. You already made your first mistake because ##∃p\in P \; (\{t(p)\} ⊆T(P) → \{t(p)\} = ∅).## :cool:

Likes Pepper Mint and ProfuselyQuarky
fresh_42 said:
Don't try. You already made your first mistake because ##∃p\in P \; (\{t(p)\} ⊆T(P) → \{t(p)\} = ∅).## :cool:
Since I can't decipher that, I don't understand what you're thinking either. o_O

Borg said:
Since I can't decipher that, I don't understand what you're thinking either. o_O
I'm afraid there are people who only think very little or quite nothing. In order to act responsibly in the described case it needs a lot of abstraction in advance like: "what happens, if ..."

I apologize, if your answer has been ironic and I didn't catch it.

Likes Pepper Mint
fresh_42 said:
I'm afraid there are people who only think very little or quite nothing. In order to act responsibly in the described case it needs a lot of abstraction in advance like: "what happens, if ..."

I apologize, if your answer has been ironic and I didn't catch it.
No worries, I just haven't worked with logic symbols in a long while.

Update on the squirrel story. I did call the police yesterday but realized today that the store would be more concerned so I called them this morning. When I told the manager what happened, she said that she would go straight to the security footage for their entrance as soon as she got off the phone. She didn't seem to pleased that someone had done that.

Likes Sophia and Pepper Mint
:oldcool: I see you.

Pepper Mint said:
:oldcool: I see you.
Easy to do when you're following someone. :wink:

Likes Pepper Mint
Pepper Mint said:
Ohm is back! :partytime: I see Ohm in online member list. I hope it's not someone else who is sharing Ohm's account on PF. :oldbiggrin:

I can't find this member. Who are you talking about?

ps. Just finished a 1650 mile, 4 day solo road trip. Wow!
1. Realized I had never been to San Francisco, except for airplaneish layovers.
1.a. If you are not a resident of San Francisco, you will never find what you are looking for, without a GPS.​
2. I've had my GPS for 10 years, and this was the first time I actually used it.
2.a. GPSes say funny things, when re-entering long interstate freeways, after leaving a gas station; "Drive 522 miles, and then make a right turn".​
3. I now understand why when my brother gave our niece his nearly brand new VW, she sold it a week later. Cars with clutches in SF are a no-no.
3.a. I drove to SF for my niece's wedding.​
4. You cannot get through the Monterey Bay Aquarium in an hour.
4.a The aquarium opens at 9:30 am. Plan on 6 hours. Ehr mehr gerd.​
5. I can drink 1.5 gallons of water in 6 hours, when driving from Monterey towards Oregon, in a black truck, with no A/C, when it's a bit warm out.
5.a. You can get by on 20 ounces of water, for the trip from Oregon to SF, when it's raining.​
6. The drive to Crater Lake sucks at night.
7. Crater Lake is freaking stunning. A wanna-be geologist's dream.
7.a. But unlike the aquarium, it takes only about an hour to absorb.​
8. You can see 6 impressive volcanic mountains from Redmond Oregon.
8.a. Mt. Bachelor, The 3 Sisters, Mt. Jefferson, and Mt. Hood. Along with a myriad of minor volcanic mountains.​
9. I will never figure out how to climb Mt. Jefferson in time for the eclipse next year.
10. Things which used to seem far away, now seem like a minor day trip.
10.a. I'm going to Smith Rock over the 4th.​

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and fresh_42
OmCheeto said:
Are you looking for the resistance?

ps. Just finished a 1650 mile, 4 day solo road trip. Wow!
1. Realized I had never been to San Francisco, except for airplaneish layovers.
1.a. If you are not a resident of San Francisco, you will never find what you are looking for, without a GPS
Hope you had some flowers in your hand :smile:

2. I've had my GPS for 10 years, and this was the first time I actually used it.
2.a. GPSes say funny things, when re-entering long interstate freeways, after leaving a gas station; "Drive 522 miles, and then make a right turn".

Here we had some people driving into a river following their GPS and ignoring the fact the ferry doesn't operate at night.
3. I now understand why when my brother gave our niece his nearly brand new VW, she sold it a week later. Cars with clutches in SF are a no-no.
3.a. I drove to SF for my niece's wedding.
I always had the most fun when I drove a car with hand shifts in mountainous areas. I really hated automatics in such a terrain.
4. You cannot get through the Monterey Bay Aquarium in an hour.
4.a The aquarium opens at 9:30 am. Plan on 6 hours. Ehr mehr gerd.

Did you try swimming? I assume they want you to walk.
5. I can drink 1.5 gallons of water in 6 hours, when driving from Monterey towards Oregon, in a black truck, with no A/C, when it's a bit warm out.
5.a. You can get by on 20 ounces of water, for the trip from Oregon to SF, when it's raining.

I see, you drive a cabriolet!
6. The drive to Crater Lake sucks at night.
Imagine what the drive into would suck!
7. Crater Lake is freaking stunning. A wanna-be geologist's dream.
7.a. But unlike the aquarium, it takes only about an hour to absorb.

The 1.5 gallons weren't enough?
8. You can see 6 impressive volcanic mountains from Redmond Oregon.
8.a. Mt. Bachelor, The 3 Sisters, Mt. Jefferson, and Mt. Hood. Along with a myriad of minor volcanic mountains.

Active?
9. I will never figure out how to climb Mt. Jefferson in time for the eclipse next year.
Maybe the next decade?
10. Things which used to seem far away, now seem like a minor day trip.
10.a. I'm going to Smith Rock over the 4th.

fresh_42 said:
I always had the most fun when I drove a car with hand shifts in mountainous areas. I really hated automatics in such a terrain.​
Is it safe to assume that you've never replaced your own clutch plate, nor parallel parked, in a tight spot, between two very nice cars, on a steep hill?
I moved my car once, during the course of 4 days. And that was only 30 feet away, to a spot with a driveway behind me.

ps. I was going to fly down, but given that I'm in permanent retirement "I'll get around to it" mode, the price to fly became relatively exorbitant. But it turned out for the best, as it was 114.9 miles from my ideal parking spot in SF to the Aquarium, and no one else seemed interested in going. I can only imagine, had I not driven, the logistics of getting there would have deterred me from going. Ohm gives the Monterey Bay Aquarium 10/10 stars. :oldsmile:

OmCheeto said:
Is it safe to assume that you've never replaced your own clutch plate, ...
Yes, but I drove 150,000 miles with a fire damage on it as I confused the 3rd and 5th as it was new.

... nor parallel parked, in a tight spot, between two very nice cars, on a steep hill?
I've done this. But I admit last time I frequently had to, it was an automatic car. In former cases I often was able to find a workaround since it rarely occurred in big cities like SF.
Maybe parking is not very funny, but driving really is when you can decide yourself when to shift. One of my most favorite activities has been driving with a foreign license plate in Swiss mountains and knowing the track well enough to overtake even locals. :smile: You can't do this if you're car thinks 25 is enough to shift into 3rd or even 4th gear. Plus: an automatic car on snowy terrain is absolutely horrible. You don't want to shift at all on a slippery road. And when it does you lose traction control for a second. Ok, nowadays they have a computer on board that decides everything for you, but that's not driving - that's taking a bus trip.

But you might not take me for serious. Someone once said to me: If it were you to decide, we would still use a hand-crank.

Btw: 51.77% - 48.23% (currently) with a .85 chance for leave (ITV). Farage is already celebrating his victory.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
I was talking about you. Can that prove I have Ohm in my heart ? The difference is only an 'h' in between.

ITV announced: Leave.

fresh_42 said:
One of my most favorite activities has been driving with a foreign license plate in Swiss mountains and knowing the track well enough to overtake even locals.
Well, that goes without saying. We've local roads like that. My friend in high school used to give me rides in his 60 something Sunbeam Alpine. Quite boring in an automatic.

Zoom, zoom, zoom! :oldsmile:

One could have made a lot of money on short sales this night!

Likes Sophia
fresh_42 said:
ITV announced: Leave.
:(
That's bad. But on the other side, I understand the reasons why they voted for leaving. Doesn't surprise me much.
There are tough times before us.

Sophia said:
:(
That's bad. But on the other side, I understand the reasons why they voted for leaving. Doesn't surprise me much.
There are tough times before us.
I still believe that nationalism isn't a solution to any problem. And what it might lead to can easily be seen in an arbitrary history book of an arbitrary European country. And I'm not referring to the Nazis. My timetable starts 1066 with William the Conqueror.

fresh_42 said:
I still believe that nationalism isn't a solution to any problem. And what it might lead to can easily be seen in an arbitrary history book of an arbitrary European country. And I'm not referring to the Nazis. My timetable starts 1066 with William the Conqueror.
yes, it's a dangerous worldview .
I don't agree with it, but the decision is understandable. People see that their country is changing before their eyes by strange people and they can't do anything about it. Plus all other negatives of the EU. Don't get me wrong. I don't say that I am happy with the results. I only say that I'm not surprised at all.
Wonder when another country will try to leave. This might be a domino effect.

Haha my beloved Slovak politicians must panic now. Our presidency starts on July 1st! At least they will do something useful once and hopefully they will argue less... Or at least they should but it doesn't seem they will stop now. They are trying to get rid of one of the ministers who is accused of huge corruption, it's all on paper, bank account and telephone record but he refuses to leave and the prime minister protects him. ?:)
I wonder what kind of international scandal will they make in the EU :biggrin: They are creative, I believe it's going to be something special :cool:

Sophia said:
I wonder what kind of international scandal will they make in the EU :biggrin: They are creative, I believe it's going to be something special :cool:
Well, the bar is already set high. It won't be easy to beat Orbán and Szydło.

Likes Sophia