Windows 10 Upgrade Discussion: Compatibility and Features

In summary: Disable any startup protection, it restarts a few times.I forgot to turn off my bios password and had to manually restart the computer.
rootone said:
Things like that a standard Unix definition assumes it's running on a 1960's style mainframe architecture with up to 16 TTY terminals.

Since TTY is basic to job control such controls must exist in all operating systems, Windows included. This is most certainly not a problem for any *nix because it is built by design to employ simple programs linked, or piped, together. The adaptability of such a fundamental design is why Linux is run on more hardware than any other operating system today from super computers, through smartphones and on down to the simplest of embedded systems. There simply is no legacy holding back any *nix. If you are really interested in the Science behind the one mistaken example you have given you could visit this site - http://www.linusakesson.net/programming/tty/index.php

The greatest likelihood is that within the lifetimes of anyone here operating systems will become superfluous and ubiquitous with focus increasing on the job at hand rather than the underlying means to that end. Necessity and money drive development and it has been well over a decade since Microsoft realized they make far more profit on, for example, Office than on Windows. Their focus has changed accordingly and rightly so.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I like *nix alright, I think it's a very sound concept, no problem at all with that.
I was just wondering if it could be improved, a *nix 2 if you like, built upon the premise of network connectivity, FPU's, GPU's, 'The cloud', and other such stuff which wasn't even a science fiction fantasy in the 1960's.
... and mobile devices which don't expect to have multiple 'terminals' attached to them physically.

Last edited:
@rootone - Since you felt it necessary to say "I like *nix alright" I suppose I need to be perfectly clear. This is not about what any of us likes or dislikes and I really am not trying to disrupt this thread and this post is exactly to avoid such common pitfalls that have become troublesome and boring over time. Far more people prefer to drive cars than become mechanics and such trends also exist in the computing world. If you think about it, on some fundamental level, there is really very little, beyond interface, that Windows 10 can do that XP could not and similarly that is also true of Linux. It just gets easier to do it and for more people to do it, that's all.

This is partly why I think operating system jihads are a bit silly. Computers are a tool box that we can fill with whatever tools we think we need to do our work and play. How can anyone dislike a tool box set of tools that effectively let's people do what they want? It's specific to the person and what jobs they undertake. As that focus increases on the end work and computers become even more commonplace than they already are, I think we will see the underlying systems become less and less important, especially as the ability for more universal or cross-platform tools to work with anything blur the line.

If you visited the site I linked you will see that the need for job control that resulted in TTY began in 1860, not 1960. The reason our automobiles sit three in one seat comfortably is because of Roman roads that were designed to accommodate the widest chariots were also designed to last with little maintenance so it became easier (and smarter) to design all transportation vehicles that travel great distances on the ground to those specifications in order to take advantage of that infrastructure. This is the power of legacy, especially when fundamentally solid.

In personal computing, Microsoft Windows won the operating system wars because they realized Steve Jobs was trying to make a quantum leap that the buying public were not ready to make - too much, too soon. In all likelihood there will be a Windows 11 and 12 (or whatever they choose to call it) but the emphasis is essentially all over but for the wake. It's all about the work on top of the system now that all the basics are firmly in place.

Hey Guys... I really need to figure out something.
We all know that Windows 10 is really nice and intuitive OS... the best Windows OS by far. More than 90% of the Users(I assume) vote high for the OS. So is it really worth to buy a Windows Phone?
No not by the side of Hardware(phone) but by the side of Software (The Windows 10 mobile), would it be a nice thing to do? or some thing that would put me in so many troubles! :wideeyed: ?

rootone said:
Just an impression I get is that in this version they have disposed of old routines going back to the DOS legacy.
Stuff that really has no purpose today, unless one wants to be romantic about OS specifications.
Unix/Linux systems are going to have to face that too.

That happened back at windows XP.

Thought i would add an update to my post #93 of this thread. I mentioned an optional update (KB3035583) that was offered on my win7 machine that downloaded the win10 installer without my knowledge then proceeded to start installing win10. I promptly stopped it removed the update and disabled auto update as I don't want 10 on all 3 machines that I use, I prefer 7 but I'm using the other 2 as Guinea pigs to learn the ups and downs of the 10 OS. To get back on track anyway today after starting my 7 system I checked for updates and was told "good news your win 10 OS is ready to download", I checked the available update list and was shown 20 updates for the 7 OS. Being a curious type I checked numbers and found the KB3035583 update had been moved from the optional update list to the important list. It seems most people are going to end up with 10 whether the ask for it or not unless they take steps to avoid it, that brings me back to I wondering how long the older OS's will be supported. I have to say 10 is a very efficient OS however I'm not pleased that neither of the 2 machines I have 10 on will play a simple DVD movie without buying or installing software (one machine would play it through the CyberLink software but that quit working after an update to the HP software, they offered to sell me an upgrade to play DVD's though). That is one example of the downside to upgrading, seems unfair to remove working software and replace it with something you have to buy upgrades for. This would be a good time to mention I'm not the brightest guy on the site so if I have missed something about the DVD playing option on 10 and someone can enlighten me or has any thoughts/info on this matter I would be happy to hear from you. For more info on the update mentioned in post #93 you can read about it here.
http://www.myce.com/news/windows-update-silently-installs-windows-10-downloader-75647/
Thanks and I'm looking forward to feedback.

1oldman2 said:
if I have missed something about the DVD playing option on 10
If you had an "enhanced" windows version prior to upgrade, DVD playback is included for your hardware. That was something that alarmed me, along with the "subscription" for windows office that they keep trying to sell me, but if you choose the "cloud" option for backup/storage you can use office online for free...

Likes 1oldman2
HyperTechno said:
(The Windows 10 mobile), would it be a nice thing to do?
My phone is still windows 8 which works pretty well between win 10 laptop/cloud access but now has cortana which is siri's rival. Not bad for phone hardware/software (lumia 640 lte w/ wifi data, wife has same with 4g data both work very well) but I haven't had any other smartphone to compare to. I don't know when it will be upgraded to windows 10 but I anticipate it eventually.

HowlerMonkey said:
That happened back at windows XP.
Oh yeah windows 2000, was that messy (ms)dos? I forget. 3.1,95,97,97 with updates dang I can't remember, ooh service pack 2 yeah that then xp was dos-less windows boot. I skipped everything else in between I think.

jerromyjon said:
My phone is still windows 8 which works pretty well between win 10 laptop/cloud access but now has cortana which is siri's rival. Not bad for phone hardware/software (lumia 640 lte w/ wifi data, wife has same with 4g data both work very well) but I haven't had any other smartphone to compare to. I don't know when it will be upgraded to windows 10 but I anticipate it eventually.
:woot:

Well I've read and watched lot of comparison videos with various phones to find the exact phone I need right now( the exact phone that suits me and finally found that Lumia 640XL is that. ( though it still hasn't got Windows 10 update). first I wanted to buy an android as the app base is huge comparatively to Windows. But however i figured out that I can go with the Windows app base quite nicely when I considered about my app needs thoroughly . The app gap is not a problem to me. And Lumia 640/640XL full fill all my requirements within the budget I have than similarly priced android phones. That's why i wanted to know about the windows 10 mobile version more on PF.
As you have mentioned that Windows 8 is okay , I can assume that windows 10 mobile is much better than I expected. Well hope 640 gets the Windows 10 update soon. (I'm more interested on the XL version though it's a bit big and little hard to handle by one hand... as it offers a better Camera.)

thank you for your quote. :smile:

Likes jerromyjon
No Windows 10 for me. I want to keep my private data private. Just sayin' Thank you http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/GWX-Stopper.shtml.

Likes meBigGuy, 1oldman2 and Silicon Waffle
dlgoff said:
No Windows 10 for me. I want to keep my private data private. Just sayin' Thank you http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/GWX-Stopper.shtml.
Well there you go... Problem solved, Thank you. This is what a forum is all about. :wink:

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
Thank you http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/GWX-Stopper.shtml.
I would have liked this more than a month before upgrading... i hated the stupid icon I could not get rid of even though I already agreed to upgrade, and had to manually search how to begin the upgrade when the time came, too. To have everything work seamlessly without issues would have worried me, so I prefer to have minor glitches to make serious problems less likely. :smile: I hated the windows 8.1 so badly even with a touchscreen laptop my options were windows 7 or windows 10. I have an older private encrypted laptop for sensitive data and personal info which will remain windows 7 that I will certainly use this for!

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
I posted here about the black screen after trying to wake up from sleep. I googled, apparently it is a common problem. It happens to my back up computer, so I just simply shut it down and restart again the next day. Other than that, the computer works a whole lot better. This was a Win8.1, never worked right from day one. It was very intermittent. It was for my wife, she just stop using it because it's to frustrating for her. It works a whole lot better after I upgraded to Win10. It is actually usable now.

My main laptop works beautifully since I upgraded to Win10. I have a long thread here about the Window explorer stop and people here had been trying to help. Never managed to resolve the problem. The computer went to my company's IT department and had two people working on it. The last thing was recover the whole thing. Still did not work. I finally upgraded to Win 10 and has been working perfectly for almost a month since.

Just my 2cents.

dlgoff said:
No Windows 10 for me. I want to keep my private data private.

You can't fight the inevitable. I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my desktop to Windows 10. It seems OK. I disabled every snoop feature in the install per some research I did. I agree with their consensus, err on the side of extreme paranoia. If you lose some functionality that outweighs your privacy concerns, you can change the setting.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...y-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/#gref
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...settings-you-need-to-change-right-now-1301257

Good luck.

Likes dlgoff and 1oldman2
DiracPool said:
You can't fight the inevitable. I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my desktop to Windows 10. It seems OK. I disabled every snoop feature in the install per some research I did. I agree with their consensus, err on the side of extreme paranoia. If you lose some functionality that outweighs your privacy concerns, you can change the setting.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...y-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/#gref
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...settings-you-need-to-change-right-now-1301257

Good luck.
Very useful links, thanks. I concur with your consensus "err on side of extreme paranoia" and "not fighting the inevitable". Now on the subject of "extreme paranoia" is it just me or does MS seem to be tweaking their update support policy in regards to their earlier OS's. That has been one of the motivating factors with my wanting to get the hang of 10, I have a feeling the older OS's are going to be "off the table" sooner than most people think. (Hope I'm wrong)

1oldman2 said:
I have a feeling the older OS's are going to be "off the table" sooner than most people think. (Hope I'm wrong)
I believe windows 8 is already unsupported by Microsoft...

jerromyjon said:
I believe windows 8 is already unsupported...
That is what I understand about 8 also, If you didn't opt for the service pack (8.1) your on your own. I am curious how 8.1 and my favorite (7) fair over the next year or so.

7/2015 I was in a Microsoft retail store and was told Windows 7 would not enable me to get a free upgrade to windows 10. I would have to buy 8.1 and when win10 was available I would get the upgrade. Is this correct?

No. Windows 7 should be upgradeable. I've got the little Windows icon on my toolbar that keeps nagging me to go through with the upgrade.

In an interesting sidenote, I know that Windows 7 is upgradeable because I have a friend who runs a small computer repair shop locally. His lobby is littered with various "zombie" creations of Frankenstein-like desktop computers that he put together from all the old computers that people drop off there to be recycled. You've got core 2 duos, Xeons, Pentiums, etc., with motherboards and video cards they don't even make anymore all packaged in the weirdest variety of bizarrely shaped computer cases you can image. Each one of them is advertised as either running Windows 7 or Windows 8, but recently he just added a line down below that that reads: FREE upgrade to Windows 10!

Last edited:
I upgraded to my desktop to Windows 10 a few weeks ago with no problems, but I just took the leap yesterday and upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop. Here, I am having a problem. It's brought back bad memories from when I was similarly railroaded by Microsoft to upgrade to 8.1 from 8. To begin, my touchpad is doing the "regular" scrolling again, which I hate. I'm used to the reverse scrolling and this is driving me nuts. There's no obvious quick fix in the Synaptics settings window. Last time I had to download a third party app called "two finger scroll" which did the trick, but then somehow I was able to later find a Synaptix driver that worked better. It took me a while to find it and I don't want to spend the time looking for it again.

Problem two: I also spent a great deal of time finding a fix to that annoying warning that pops up when you turn your volume up over the 42 mark. My god that drives me nuts. I watch a lot of youtube videos and the volume settings of these, as you well know, are all over the place. So I'm constantly running the volume control up and down and to hit that warning window again and again all day long is absurd. But try getting rid of it. Not so easy. Back in the day, the only fix I could find was to revert back to Windows 8 from 8.1. But again, the price you pay for that is to be constantly harassed to upgrade to 8.1. So, after a long search, I was able to find a fix for the volume warning and upgrade to 8.1. All was fine and good for a long time. I think, subconsciously, this is why I've been reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10: life has been so rosy the last couple years that I forgot. Now these problems are back...:mad:

Btw, if anyone knows of a ready fix for either of my problems discussed above, I'd appreciate it :oldsmile:

If you don't have any specific purpose as to why you should use windows 10, don't install it. You can wait until they release "Redstone" likely in this summer then make your decision. Other than that, it is perfectly fine for me to just continue using Windows 8.1 until Windows 11 comes along in late 2017.

Likes 1oldman2
Silicon Waffle said:
If you don't have any specific purpose as to why you should use windows 10, don't install it. You can wait until they release "Redstone" likely in this summer then make your decision. Other than that, it is perfectly fine for me to just continue using Windows 8.1 until Windows 11 comes along in late 2017.
Any specifics on 11 ?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon Waffle said:
If you don't have any specific purpose as to why you should use windows 10, don't install it.

That's a good point, especially since, ostensibly, they say they will support 8.1 until 2023. Right? Who is going to be using Windows 8.1 in 2023 when Windows 20 is out with the built in VR function? It's hard to resist the pressure to upgrade to Windows 10 when they continually hammer you to do it and talk about all the enhanced security features you are missing out on, having the state of the art operating system, and the fact that it's free. The only way I was finally able to go forward with it was to convince myself that it was actually an "automatic upgrade" I had to comply with, in the same way that when you shut down your computer Microsoft occasionally installs upgrades.

Likes Silicon Waffle
1oldman2 said:
Any specifics on 11 ?
No, of course! :biggrin: So sorry about that!

Likes 1oldman2
Silicon Waffle said:
No, of course! :biggrin: So sorry about that!
I have to admit you "got me" on that post :cool:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Does anyone know anything about windows 10 upgrade for phones? I found something that claimed today was finally the day to release the update on a pull rather than a push... I guess that means if you want it you can get it but you won't be alerted and advised to upgrade until a later date. My Lumia 640 is supposed to be qualified for upgrade, but a check for updates on the phone returned that it was up to date. I am just concerned that it will be available but I won't be able to find it and install it, similar to what happened to my older win7 laptop when i had already agreed to upgrade in advance but had to manually start the upgrade after some time searching for what the problem and solution was.

I did find a windows insider preview for windows 10 but I am concerned about the risks. My wife is trying the update on her phone so I will wait and see how hers responds to decide if I should risk it. The biggest concerns for me is the inability to revert back to 8.1 and the danger of phone damage.

DiracPool said:
It's hard to resist the pressure to upgrade to Windows 10 when they continually hammer you to do it and talk about all the enhanced security features you are missing out on, having the state of the art operating system, and the fact that it's free.

As Robt. Heinlein said, "TANSTAAFL - There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" so please do be alert that generally when a proprietary corporation releases something labelled "free" it usually means YOU (or at least your information) are the fee. The MS EULA was recently altered to allow completely indiscriminate invasion of your system including emails, chats... basically anything on "your" system. The reason given is ostensibly to discover piracy but one only has to look at Google and Facebook profits to realize "free" just "ain't". Follow the money. Encrypting one's file system may provide a hedge against invasion on a "cold" system, but once up and running with decrypters in place MS can get in. If that's OK with you, then fine, but do know what you are allowing before you do.

Likes 1oldman2
enorbet said:
The MS EULA was recently altered to allow completely indiscriminate invasion of your system including emails, chats... basically anything on "your" system. The reason given is ostensibly to discover piracy but one only has to look at Google and Facebook profits to realize "free" just "ain't".

So what's the solution, then? Just stick with with Windows 8.1 into the indefinite future? I guess you could switch to another platform. But if you want to stick with Windows and move with the times, whether it's free or not I think there's going to come a point where you just have to go with the flow. I mean, I don't think the social contract Microsoft made with their users was, OK, we got this new operating system we'll give you for free if you relinquish all of your privacy rights. Is that what it is? If so, do they have a version where I can pay $99 without the privacy invasion feature and still get all the new bells and whistles?

That's not a rhetorical question, btw, I really don't know. It just seems to me that the machine of progress is moving forward and not having the latest features on your operating system is probably going to make you less safe than more safe. I mean, aren't there a bunch of new security features built into Windows 10? Plus, you never know what Microsoft is doing, the last time you restarted your computer and it went through that windows update thing on your 7 or 8 OS they could have been downloading spy software for all you know.

Likes 1oldman2
DiracPool said:
I mean, aren't there a bunch of new security features built into Windows 10?
I don't know, either, but I don't care. People who should care, IMHO, are those who use their computers to facilitate financial access to pay bills, make purchases, etc. Since it appears to me Microsoft is joining the norm of "free" software loaded with 1 click purchase power, it would be in their best interest to protect your assets so you can buy things through Windows without concern of being robbed. The information about you is needed so that they can present you with goods or services from themselves or their partners, perhaps before you know or realize you want something, banking on the impulsive nature of consumers. "You really want this! Buy it now!"
I refuse to be led by my nose or to trust computers to keep my financial and personal information safe.

windows 7 all the way
i prefer windows vista to 10 and 8

I have to apologize for walking a fine line here including declining giving any advice for possible, workable alternatives. I don't wish to disrupt this thread beyond recommending that people faced with the Win 10 "upgrade" fire up their favorite search engine and research "PC software backdoors" to discover for yourself the consequences of assuming "I don't care" or "what alternatives are there - none".

Alternatives and at least some levels of protection are possible (Example - Hardware Firewall on FOSS encrypted disc) and "I don't care. I don't do anything wrong/vulnerable" can be a dangerous apathy. Just ask, for example, any of the many people already destroyed by and finally released by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project

Some of those were on Death Row and we will never know how many have yet to be discovered and defended let alone how many have been financially destroyed by long trials, jailed for long terms, let alone executed wrongly already over the years. More specific to this thread take a look at data kept by The Electronic Frontier Foundation to see what the true risks have already been and could become. There is no need to be paranoid or apathetic. Just be informed.

Likes James Holland
enorbet said:
Alternatives and at least some levels of protection are possible (Example - Hardware Firewall on FOSS encrypted disc) and "I don't care. I don't do anything wrong/vulnerable" can be a dangerous apathy. Just ask, for example, any of the many people already destroyed by and finally released by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project

What the heck does that have to do with windows 10? You have pretty much fallen off the deep end.

Likes DiracPool
meBigGuy said:
What the heck does that have to do with windows 10? You have pretty much fallen off the deep end.

The Innocence Project was an example of how often good people who assumed they had nothing to fear, were not at risk, were destroyed by misinformation or bad interpretation of data. It also happens in computing.

Example - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz the story of Aaron Swartz, one of many fined, jailed or otherwise destroyed by FUD via data on a PC.

Simply put, one can harden even a Windows 95 install to mitigate security problems. Obviously the lack of other support makes it a non-issue other than as an example, but the same can be said of Win 7 or 8. The point is there are many alternatives including some Windows choices depending on how much risk each is willing to allow. Sorry, Deep End is not in this direction.