Windows 10 Upgrade Discussion: Compatibility and Features

In summary: Disable any startup protection, it restarts a few times.I forgot to turn off my bios password and had to manually restart the computer.
enorbet said:
The Innocence Project was an example of how often good people who assumed they had nothing to fear, were not at risk, were destroyed by misinformation or bad interpretation of data. It also happens in computing.

Sorry, but comparing the Innocence project to Windows 10 is a stretch too far in my book, bordering on a non-sequitur. Actually, even crossing over into a NS.

enorbet said:
Simply put, one can harden even a Windows 95 install to mitigate security problems. Obviously the lack of other support makes it a non-issue other than as an example, but the same can be said of Win 7 or 8. The point is there are many alternatives including some Windows choices depending on how much risk each is willing to allow. Sorry, Deep End is not in this direction.

If you're an experienced computer hacker anything is possible, but most people are not so paranoid to go through these lengths to surf the web and run their facebook page. I think my position is the most sensible for the average user. I stated it earlier in this thread, get Windows 10 but disable all the snoop options in the setup.

Speaking of which, I was actually a bit paranoid myself to the point that I didn't even activate Cortana because on the acceptance page it looked as though you had to give up the farm to get her functionality. I think I may be working harder and not smarter, though, due to that paranoia. So I'm asking opinions here as to whether Cortana is a good feature to use or not. Personally, I don't see Windows 10 being much if any different than 7 or 8. What I miss about about Windows 8 was being able to just go into the main screen and start typing and then the search window would just pop up on the right side of the screen and provide what you were looking for. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have an equivalent feature. But that's what I think Cortana is doing and I've disabled it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
OK DracPool, while I obviously disagree about the value of the analogy, I'll just let those chips fall where they may. Even if the odds for a false positive are less than 1 percent, if it does happen to you it becomes effectively 100%. to you Is it worth the risk? You choose.

Win 10 is a big change from Win 7 and even Win 8. Upgrades are no longer optional but forced but that's a minor inconvenience compared to the wholesale takeover of your data. I very much doubt you've thoroughly read the EULA to be able to think they are the same or a minor change. In it Microsoft reserves so many rights to your data that your PC truly no longer belongs to you. You just get to use it like some domesticated animal in the farmer's barn. You cannot disable the snoop options, only reduce a pitiful few. As I said, even encryption does not work against what amounts to an internal attack. Look it up. I'm not overstating the case.

Here is just one revealing story on the subject from Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/#4af2982a7aa9. Researching the backdoors is even more revealing. However it is rather interesting that even the Enterprise Edition is a spy.

I don't wish to belabor the point so since you asked about Cortana below I have a link for anyone who cares to view on it. Let me just say that it is too new to truly know just how invasive it is in practice. However MS has provided themselves with lots of wiggle room with the "and more" floodgate. In truth this is one reason I post in this thread. As long as so many users just "bend over" MS will continue. I'm hoping at least some will work as hard to complain bitterly as people did when Intel tried to include "call home" individual CPU IDs, which, as you may recall, was effectively thwarted. Such complaints have already led to a class action suit in Germany.

Anyway here's one link regarding Cortana. http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-privacy-spying.html Best wishes.

Last edited:
duhuhu said:
So I have a fun problem:

My OS is up to date, I have gotten every single download Microsoft has told me to, I have jumped through all the hoops, and when I go to manually download the get windows 10 app, it says my computer is not up to date and that I cannot get the app.

I am running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, I have service pack 1, I have windows updates enabled, I even download the optional ones. I have gone through the forums on the Microsoft website, but after doing A LOT of stuff in the command prompt to try to fix my issues, and use their fancy little troubleshooter, I have had no success. What else can I do besides manually download and force install Win 10?
Get Ubunu. You'll be happier..

Okay, got a question.

How good is the Windows firewall? My free period of antivirus software is expiring and I've been looking at Avast Free, well at least it's reviews, but it doesn't come with a firewall, so am wondering if i could manage with Windows inbuilt one.

Thanks for any answers.

Rocco the Stiff said:
Okay, got a question.

How good is the Windows firewall? My free period of antivirus software is expiring and I've been looking at Avast Free, well at least it's reviews, but it doesn't come with a firewall, so am wondering if i could manage with Windows inbuilt one.

Thanks for any answers.
It depends what sites you visit.
As long as you don't expect to be visiting sites which might carry malicious content, you should be fine, I am.
Malicious content is not necessarily the fault of the site, often it's embedded within advertising placed on the site by a third party.

I have been getting along fine for several years now without commercial anti-virus software. I use the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. However, once in a while mites get into my browser and I need to temporarily disable Windows Defender and run Malwarebytes to cleanse everything carefully. Then I turn off Malwarebytes, go back to Windows Defender and things are usually fine for many months. I am on the web constantly. The only times I've needed Malwarebytes is when, during an installation, I got tricked into clicking on some installer that tried to hijack things.

P S - I've always run the latest Windows, so my experience goes from Win 7 to Win 8 to Win 8.1 to Win 10 (on several different computers at my home office)

I haven't used Windows past Win 7 so I don't know for certain if MS has continued to have their built-in firewall monitor only Incoming and no Outgoing like everything up to and including Win 7, but it is a very important part of diligent security. You can check if yours does here -
http://www.howtogeek.com/220204/how-to-track-firewall-activity-with-the-windows-firewall-log/

There still are free and cheap 3rd party firewalls available that monitor all traffic, In and Out. IIRC PCTools and Commodo are 2.

I want to get the creators update. My windows build is pretty old, haven't undergone any updating. Since I'm on a limited internet connection, I'd like to know how many GBs it'll need to download the creators update. Any idea?

Attachments

• Windows build.PNG
    Windows build.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 517
HyperTechno said:
I want to get the creators update. My windows build is pretty old, haven't undergone any updating. Since I'm on a limited internet connection, I'd like to know how many GBs it'll need to download the creators update. Any idea?
There's not much point in getting the software development kit unless you have a recent version of the OS.
I'd say get your PC updated first,even if it does take some time.
One of the good things about win 10 is that it updates quickly and transparently. with little need for user involvement.

HyperTechno said:
I want to get the creators update
rootone said:
There's not much point in getting the software development kit

?

How does this follow?

Because the most recent releases of software development kits and APIs are designed around recent releases of the OS.
They may not work well with older OS releases, some of their functions may not exist at all if the OS is a very old version.

Where does he say anything about the SDK?

I just realized the this update is in fact itself a new release of the OS, so compatability with older versions won't be an issue anyway.
For some reason I had thought it was an integrated package of applications for artistic work, separate from the OS as such.