Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
Wordle 500 2/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Playing virtually from Kiritimati.

"Kiritimati is in the world's farthest forward time zone, UTC+14, and is therefore one of the first inhabited places on Earth to experience New Year's Day."

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 500 2/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Playing virtually from Kiritimati.

"Kiritimati is in the world's farthest forward time zone, UTC+14, and is therefore one of the first inhabited places on Earth to experience New Year's Day."
A VPN helps in these cases.

Wordle 499 4/6

⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟦⬜🟦🟦
🟦🟦⬜🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Wordle 500 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Didn't even know such an adjective exists. Good that I decided to take help today early.

Likes OmCheeto
Wrichik Basu said:
A VPN helps in these cases.
Ugh! Sounds like another password I'd have to write down. I'll stick to changing the time/date stamp on my computer. hmmm... Perhaps I'll move one time zone a day until I get back home. That'll take nearly a month!

As the Moody Blues once sang; "Thinking is the best way to travel".

By the way, did you notice I beat WordleBot today/morrow, after having been totally humiliated the days before.

Wrichik Basu said:
Maybe @davenn can join?

hey guys ... not familiar with wordle ?

OmCheeto said:
"Kiritimati is in the world's farthest forward time zone, UTC+14, and is therefore one of the first inhabited places on Earth to experience New Year's Day."[ref: wiki]

I read the wiki link and am still going HUH ??!

ya can't go past +12 because then you cross the date line and go into the previous day
OK so politics caused a long and narrow kink to the east in the dateline taking in
those islands and giving them + 13 and +14 ... they are really in -11 and -10 LOL

1667258460996.png

we live and learn :)

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu and OmCheeto
Wordle 500 5/6

⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Another obscure word

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wordle 500 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Knowing the E is not in the second position was a huge boon today.

Wordle 501 5/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Played virtually in Auckland, New Zealand @ 0005 am 2022.11.02.Wednesday

note: There was a discrepancy between the date and time between two different internet sources for Fakaofo, which is why I went for Auckland. This also means that I may be off on the time and date for the locale I list, though the Wordle game number is as intended.

davenn said:
so we are trying to guess a word without any clues at all ?
dang !
Well, not exactly. You can get a sense of what the word is by looking at the general patterns of people who are playing. If no one gets any letters right on the first guessed word then it's usually safe to assume that no common letters are in the word. According to a couple of sources, 'SLATE' is the best word to start with. So if you have a list of the 2309 words on a spreadsheet you can eliminate all the words containing those letters and choose from the remaining list. Of course, if people become aware that someone always uses the same word for the first guess then they have a slight advantage. And the more people who play before you, the better your odds. For instance, one day I was able to guess the days word in only one try by hyper-analyzing the patterns of everyone who had played before me.

This may or may not be why you were summoned.
Whistles innocently.

Beings that I live in one of the last well populated time zones on the planet, and have had a bit of an advantage this whole time, I'm currently playing the game in different time zones, starting with the aforementioned atoll, which is why my game number will be higher than everyone else's for a few days. Some people may have guessed that I was using 'SLATE' as my first guess, so I've asked my computer to pick randomly from a list of 10 words that I've decided are nearly as good as 'SLATE', but start with a different letter of the alphabet. Some days the choice is exceptional, game 500 for example, and other days, not. Lots of luck is involved. But there's lots of logic involved also.

Since you're new, I'll explain something I've learned about controlling which game you play. It's controlled by the date stamp on your computer. So all I have to do to play tomorrow's game is bump my calendar 1 day forward. Likewise, I'm guessing I could play any game in the past. This doesn't work for games you've already played, as Wordle keeps track of that, and will just show you your score and guesses for that day.

The nicest thing about the game is that it generally takes less than a minute to play each day. Of course, some people, like myself, who are retired and have too much time on our hands, go a bit overboard and can spend up to 2 hours analyzing and playing a single game. Not so much lately since no one currently plays before I do.

Wordle 500 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟦🟧🟦⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Wordle 501 4/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 501 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜