Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #1,541
Wordle 653 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,542
Wordle 653 3/6

🟩🟨⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟨🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Grrrrrr..... Even though my first guess yielded only two possible solutions, none of the pineapple pizza topping clues helped me figure out which one it was.

• #1,543
fresh_42 said:
I like pineapple on pizzas!
How about banana?

Yes, I kid you not.

• #1,544
sbrothy said:
How about banana?

Yes, I kid you not.
No. The point about pineapple is not that it is a fruit, which by the way are tomatoes, too. The point is the liquid it brings to otherwise pretty dry food. And the sweetness doesn't disturb me. I order duck sweet-sour at the Chinese restaurant, too.

• #1,545
OmCheeto said:
With a green algae crust?
Jalapeños

• Love
Likes fresh_42
  • #1,547
Wordle 653 3/6

⬜🟧🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,549
Wordle 654 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,550
Wordle 654 3/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨🟩⬜<-- lucky!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Likes scottdave
  • #1,551
Wordle 654 3/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 <-- Almost!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,552
Wordle 654 4/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,553
Wordle 654 4/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,554
Wordle 654 3/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky choice of one of my "standard" first words, followed by unlucky choice between two possibilities. I consider "3" a good result but a "2" is outstanding. I don't know how anyone can score a "1"

EDIT - looks like @scottdave and I are on the same track with this one
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 <-- Almost!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Likes scottdave
  • #1,555
gmax137 said:
Wordle 654 3/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky choice of one of my "standard" first words, followed by unlucky choice between two possibilities. I consider "3" a good result but a "2" is outstanding. I don't know how anyone can score a "1"

EDIT - looks like @scottdave and I are on the same track with this one
I'd consider a "1", as you call it, blind luck. Like a hole in one playing golf. Not really something to be proud of.

2 though. Those really do happen.

Likes scottdave
  • #1,556
gmax137 said:
... I don't know how anyone can score a "1"
You just have to pick seed words that are unplayed solutions and wait. The odds now are 1656:1.
I'm sure a lot of people got it in 1 the day SLATE was the solution.
Those playing ADIEU will never get it in one, unless its added to the valid solution list, if it hasn't been already.

This game just happened to be one where a lot of people got lucky, as 1% of todays players got it on the first try.

It looks as though 40% of the all players use just these 20 words every day.

Wordle 654 first guess. 2023-04-04 at 09.56.25.png

• #1,557
OmCheeto said:
You just have to pick seed words that are unplayed solutions and wait. The odds now are 1656:1
Is there a list of the played/unplayed solutions?

At 1656, does that mean the Worlde ends in 4 1/2 years? :wink:

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,558
Wordle 654 4/6

⬜⬜🟦🟦⬜
🟦🟦⬜🟧⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,559
OmCheeto said:
I'm sure a lot of people got it in 1 the day SLATE was the solution.
Yup, I was one of them. See post #947 on page 28 of this thread. Although it already came around for me, I did not abandon it as seed. That's because I have developed a list of contingency second entries depending on the response to the seed. I chose the second entries to maximize the exclusion of words from the list that survived the first filter.

For example, if the seed SLATE yields no letter hits of either kind, then CRONY leaves only 4 words out of 2300 that have none of the first 10 letters entered. These are HUMID, HUMPH, VIVID and WHIFF. If one chooses HUMID as the third entry, the probability of getting the solution in 3 is 0.25 and the probability of getting it in 4 is 1. Of course, if none of the 4 words is the solution, there will be letter hits, the more the merrier.

Likes scottdave and OmCheeto
  • #1,560
Wordle 655 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,562
Wordle 655 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,563
gmax137 said:
Is there a list of the played/unplayed solutions?
Yes, but....
At 1656, does that mean the Worlde ends in 4 1/2 years? :wink:
Well, you never know, but Wordle might end in 4 1/2 years if they don't add words. There are indications that this is happening. Game #646's solution, GUANO, was not in the original list. Also, Wordlebot's analysis of my play today said that there were 7 words left after my first guess, but my list only shows 5 words, with one of those having already been a solution.

Wordle 655 3/6

🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Informative
Likes gmax137 and scottdave
  • #1,564
I'm okay with them adding some new words. I remember when guano appeared. I wonder how many people went to look up what it meant, afterwards 🤔

• #1,565
Reminds me of the old saying, "Some people don't know ....".

• Haha
Likes scottdave
  • #1,566
Wordle 655 3/6

🟧⬜🟧⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,567
Wordle 656 4/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩<- wrong order
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩<-

Last edited:
  • #1,568
Wordle 656 5/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not my finest hour.

• #1,569
Wordle 656 4/6

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,570
Wordle 656 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟨🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,571
Wordle 656 3/6

⬜🟦🟧⬜🟦
⬜🟧🟧🟦🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,572
Foxnews has an online crossword puzzle which had me cheating a little (non-native English speaker etc) which made it clear that my understanding of the language is worse than I expected. Searching for a 4-letter word for "military student" I looked up synonyms for "cadet" and was rewarded with:

"Synonyms of cadet
cadet

noun
Definition of cadet
slang
as in pimp

a man who solicits clients for a woman who is willing to engage in sexual activities for money the hooker claims she turned all her dough in to her cadet last night[...]"

---- https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/cadet#thesaurus-entry-1-1

Problem solved?

• #1,573
Surprisingly, the Urban Dictionary doesn't have the nuanced Merriam-Webster meaning. To the Brits: Is this Brit slang?

Here is an alternate reality
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/cadet
Hooray for the internet as a source of information!
Here is what I think the answer is ROTC. If that is correct, I don't think that it is a good fit with the clue "Military student".

Likes sbrothy
  • #1,574
sbrothy said:
noun
Definition of cadet
slang
as in pimp
I'm British and I've never heard of that meaning before.

• #1,575
kuruman said:
Surprisingly, the Urban Dictionary doesn't have the nuanced Merriam-Webster meaning. To the Brits: Is this Brit slang?

Here is an alternate reality
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/cadet
Hooray for the internet as a source of information!
Here is what I think the answer is ROTC. If that is correct, I don't think that it is a good fit with the clue "Military student".
Yeah, I also decided to keep looking. Should I ever find myself in the US,man could I get into trouble showing off my masterly understanding of the nuances of English slang. :)

"Hey pimp? Do you have a fag?" :P

• Love
Likes kuruman