Understanding Friction in Rolling Objects: Exploring the Microscopic Mechanisms

• I
  • Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Roll
In summary: However, the simplified models we use in physics still provide a good approximation to the real world.
FallenApple
So in most of intro physics rolling questions, the masses are assumed to be rigid. So if I roll a sphere on frictional plane, it will move forward and the friction force will help stablize it until pure roll.

However, how can there even be a friction force assumed in these problems? The point of contact is one point of dimension 0. How can a friction force be exterted on this point? Also, even if it could be pushed. There is no point parallel to it to push it as all the points in the plane are constantly below it.

Physics news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
So in most of intro physics rolling questions, the masses are assumed to be rigid. So if I roll a sphere on frictional plane, it will move forward and the friction force will help stablize it until pure roll.

However, how can there even be a friction force assumed in these problems? The point of contact is one point of dimension 0. How can a friction force be exterted on this point? Also, even if it could be pushed. There is no point parallel to it to push it as all the points in the plane are constantly below it.
Theoretically a force can be applied at a single point. In practice, there will always be a small area of contact between the object and the surface.

I don't follow your second question.

Likes Chestermiller
FallenApple said:
Also, even if it could be pushed. There is no point parallel to it to push it as all the points in the plane are constantly below it.

Are you saying the pushing force is applied by a point on the previously mentioned plane?

What
PeroK said:
Theoretically a force can be applied at a single point. In practice, there will always be a small area of contact between the object and the surface.

I don't follow your second question.
What I mean is that the ground can only exert a normal force up. It can't exert a force to the side. In sliding friction problems, the only way we can assume friction works is the microspicly, the surfaces are jagged.

I don't see how a side way force can be produced for rolling on a point. Unless, if we zoom in, finding the ball is more like a gear.

Likes CWatters
Drakkith said:
Are you saying the pushing force is applied by a point on the previously mentioned plane?
Yes. The point that applies the friction is the point in contact with the bottom of the ball. The point on the bottom ball is always directly above, with virtually 0 distance, the point of contact on the ground. So unless they are like gears, there can't be any locking to change rotations etc.

FallenApple said:
the only way we can assume friction works is the microspicly
We don't care how friction works on the microscopic level, in this kind of problem. We just use empirically derived macroscopic models.

FallenApple said:
What

What I mean is that the ground can only exert a normal force up. It can't exert a force to the side. In sliding friction problems, the only way we can assume friction works is the microspicly, the surfaces are jagged.

I don't see how a side way force can be produced for rolling on a point. Unless, if we zoom in, finding the ball is more like a gear.
Again, theoretically a surface with friction can exert a tangential as well as a normal force. If you are asking about the nature of friction, then it must result from the sort of interaction you suggest. A snooker ball must be deforming the cloth to some extent.

That doesn't invalidate the simplified model, as long as the model produces accurate results.

FallenApple said:
What

As the contact area approaches zero the pressure increases towards infinity. So it's very hard to have a perfect zero area point contact. For example you need infinitely hard surfaces to avoid them distorting.

In short it's hard to avoid all friction in the situation you describe.

Related to Understanding Friction in Rolling Objects: Exploring the Microscopic Mechanisms

1. How does gravity play a role in the rolling of objects?

Gravity is a fundamental force that attracts objects towards each other. When an object is placed on a surface, gravity pulls it down towards the center of the Earth. This creates a downward force on the object, which causes it to roll if it has a round or cylindrical shape. The rolling motion is a result of the object's center of mass being pulled downwards while the outer edges remain in contact with the surface.

2. What is the relationship between an object's shape and its ability to roll?

The shape of an object plays a crucial role in its ability to roll. Objects with a round or cylindrical shape, such as balls or wheels, are able to roll more easily than objects with irregular shapes. This is because the round shape allows for a smoother and more consistent contact with the surface, reducing friction and allowing for a more efficient rolling motion.

3. How does friction affect the rolling of objects?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. When an object rolls, there is still some friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on. However, the friction in rolling is significantly less than the friction in sliding. This is because the rolling motion involves only a small portion of the object's surface in contact with the surface it is rolling on, while sliding involves the entire surface. Therefore, friction has a minimal effect on the rolling of objects.

4. Can objects roll on any surface?

Objects can roll on most surfaces, as long as there is enough friction to overcome the object's weight and any other opposing forces. However, some surfaces, such as ice or very smooth surfaces, may have low friction, making it difficult for objects to roll. In these cases, the object may slide instead of rolling.

5. How does the distribution of weight affect an object's ability to roll?

The distribution of weight, also known as the object's center of mass, is a crucial factor in its ability to roll. Objects with a lower center of mass, such as a bowling ball, are more stable and can roll more easily than objects with a higher center of mass, such as a basketball. This is because a lower center of mass allows for a more stable and consistent rolling motion, while a higher center of mass may cause the object to wobble or topple over.