Can You Decode the Usernames from These Cryptic Clues?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary: Last name of a former quarterback that was a pro star in both Canada and the US together with the first (nick)name of a former college football...That would be Doug Flutie!
1) It can be Russ or Cyrus :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
9) Tom Mattson, clumsily because it isn't a perfect anagram ?

12) Cyclovenom, googled ouroboros :biggrin:

That cyclovenom one is quite clever but I see that now :biggrin:

arildno said:
I thought of Dimitry Terr(yn) since he is sort of cute and (yn=in), but I don't think I am right with that.
Besides, I won't suggest this, because then I will be called a gutterbrain again.:frown:

I am? Gosh! :redface:

This game has got me flabbergasted! You've got a mind like a corkscrew Gokul. :smile:

arunbg said:
That was a good one.

sid said:
"The French back"

Is it Doc Al?
Frech --> la -->back---> Al
Not what I had in mind, but it's equally good.

neutrino said:
I bet it's El Hombre Invisible. French is also = Le, I believe.
So is this one.

sid said:
Or it could be just "EL"
That's the one I had in mind, but either of the others works as well.

neutrino said:
9. mount Saint Man, clumisliy

Mattms...he is quite clumsy, isn't he? :biggrin: Mount = mt Saint = st + man
mattmns is correct.

arunbg said:
Nice one - that's the correct answer.

Regular snakes have venom, so tail-eating snakes should have cyclo-venom! Also, one could make the fairly tenous connection of Ouroboros -> Kekule -> organic chemistry -> cycloalkanes, but that's not the primary clue-solving path.

neutrino said:
Crazy as shelter

I'd have said shmoe for this if it had been "Crazy as shelters"
If it were, that would have worked, but it's not. It's actually a little more direct.

Further update:

1. fancy Russian included -- cyrus (hidden clue) - solved by cyrus

2. disenfranchize, without Che inside -- Franz (remove all the letters in 'Che inside' from 'disenfranchize') - solved by cyrus

3. see no jogger stumbling -- George Jones - solved by wolram & George (anagram of 'see no jogger')

4. handheld firework, somewhat spoonerized - larkspur (spoonerize 'sparkler') - solved by mattmns

5. the French back -- EL, Al, etc ('the' in French is le/la; backwards) - solved by siddharth & neutrino

6. In short, are you Schutzstaffel? -- Russ (are = R, you = U, Schutzstaffel = SS) - solved by arildno

7. be a moron, silly! -- moonbear (anagram of 'be a moron') - solved by George

8. She performed a Vicker's test on the subject and proclaimed __________ ! -- Math Is Hard (Math is a subject and the Vickers Test measures hardness) - solved by George

9. mount Saint Man, clumsily -- mattmns (mount saint man = mt+st+man, and jumble it) - solved by neutrino

10. crazy as shelter -- unsolved

11. Only a resumé? O, that's strange! -- loseyourname (anagram of 'only a resume o') - solved by George

12. It flows through an Ouroboros -- cyclovenom - (Ouroboros is a snake swallowing its own tail) - solved by arunbg13. Shere Khan, with room -- SpaceTiger (Shere Khan = tiger (from, for instance, Kipling's Jungle Book, with room or space) - solved by neutrino

14. one turin collision -- neutrino (anagram) - solved by siddharth & neutrino

15. if real, then symmetric -- SelfAdjoint (think matrices) - solved by Sir George

Looks like #10 is the only one remaining.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
If it were, that would have worked, but it's not. It's actually a little more direct.
My first thought was an anagram of as shelter, but I didn't come close to a satisfying answer.

Here's a few easy ones :

13. Shere Khan, with room

14. one turin collision

15. if real, then symmetric

neutrino said:
My first thought was an anagram of as shelter, but I didn't come close to a satisfying answer.
Really, it didn't ?

Gokul43201 said:
Really, it didn't ?
That didn't, but #13 is Space Tiger. :biggrin:

Hmmm...I really wonder who #14 could refer to

:P

15. A mentor who works selflessly, much to the benefit of Physics Forums.

neutrino said:
That didn't, but #13 is Space Tiger. :biggrin:
Close enough. It's actually 'SpaceTiger' - without the space before the 'Tiger'! :biggrin:

George Jones said:
15. A mentor who works selflessly, much to the benefit of Physics Forums.
Correct - SelfAdjoint. If a self adjoint (~ hermitian) matrix is real...

14 is neutrino

whoops, waay too late on that one :biggrin:

Yikes - these things are going faster than I can make them up. Help!

But it's weird that #10 is still unsolved - I thought that would be easy. Maybe it takes more passion, gusto or soul - you know; more spunk, spirit or resolve...or maybe not more, after all.

Last edited:
Before googling, I had never heard of Shere Khan. :blushing:

To me, shere sounds more like the Hindi word for lion, and Hindi for tiger is something like cheeta?

George Jones said:

To me, shere sounds more like the Hindi word for lion, and Hindi for tiger is something like cheeta?
Generally, the Hindi word for Tiger is Baagh.

Okay, since it's open for all(Isn't it ?!)...here's a sitter

See you in Mars.

George Jones said:

To me, shere sounds more like the Hindi word for lion...
Not a fan of Kipling, I take it? The Hindi word for lion, is typically written sher (without the second 'e') when transliterated to English.

Okay, I think it's time to up the level a bit. For others that make clues, please number them - that makes keeping accounts easier.

To that end, this is numbered 16.

neutrino said:
16. See you in Mars.

16. See you in Mars.

Mar-cu-s

Marcus?

Ok noted. Thanks. :smile:

Number 10 makes me think of Zoobyshoe, and the reference to the Zooby brush shelter, IIRC.

3trQN said:
Mar-cu-s

Marcus?

That is correct.

Gokul43201 said:
The Hindi word for lion, is typically written sher (without the second 'e') when transliterated to English.

I have never seen it written, I've only heard it, so that was my attempt at transliteration.

neutrino said:
Generally, the Hindi word for Tiger is Baagh.

Thanks. My source for tiger is now vacillating. :rolleyes:

10. crazy as shelter -- heartless

Dimitri Terryn said:
You've got a mind like a corkscrew Gokul. :smile:

What - you're saying that Gokul go into the wine before he set the questions?

George Jones said:
10. crazy as shelter -- heartless
Correct.

And I decree than anyone who's answered 3 questions correctly gets a 3 clue break from answering. You may, of course, post clues.

Since I'm enacting this rule now, George and Neutrino (anyone else?) may not answer 17 through 19. From 20, you may consider you slates clean again.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Correct.

And I decree than anyone who's answered 3 questions correctly gets a 3 clue break from answering. You may, of course, post clues.

Since I'm enacting this rule now, George and Neutrino (anyone else?) may not answer 17 through 19.
No, no, not that rule. :eek: :cry: